Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bleak.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Some photos from my local area during Covid-19 lockdown

Waikuku in Lockdown

Waikuku in Lockdown

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Balcony shots.

IMG_5168.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5164-Edit_edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

That's cool but I feel like a bit of the right side of the frame could be cropped off, there's a distinct lack of interest there and it doesn't help direct my eye towards the important parts of the scene.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

That's cool but I feel like a bit of the right side of the frame could be cropped off, there's a distinct lack of interest there and it doesn't help direct my eye towards the important parts of the scene.

i disagree, i feel it would throw the composition off

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

I agree with this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

i disagree, i feel it would throw the composition off

It does, losing the right makes the composition a lot worse (the foreground becomes a mess) but having all the bright stuff on the left makes for a really unbalanced photo. But I don't know if being lit from the left would make it any better.. sometimes a spot just ain't perfect.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm in the keep it party, I did a small trim on it and prefer the balance of mountain in the background being more central.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

sometimes a spot just ain't perfect.

i was about to disagree with this part on the basis that there was probably some time of day/year where the light worked but then i went and googled/flickr searched images from the same place (the Hooker Valley Track in NZ) and i can't find anything from that spot that didn't suffer from similar lighting issues

i still think it's a nice shot given the conditions and better than 99% of what i found in my searching

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2020

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah don't get me wrong I really like it and it's hard to visualise what it would be like with some changes without actually making them. I get that if you crop too much off the right it would look much worse, I was thinking only about 10% of the width or something. I might also try some dodging to darken the path on the left, but these are all minor things and probably up to personal preference.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’ll throw in my vote for crop a bit off the right. Just about to that lone rock halfway up the image. The formation on the right is closer and very imposing in the image. Giving it a bit less real estate gives the formation on the left and mountain in the distance a better sense of scale.

Also concur on darkening the path to the left a touch so that it doesn’t stand out quite as much as the water.

Panoramas are pretty difficult to convey in the internet though. For most people looking at this, wider also means it will looks smaller to fit into whatever screen. As-is, it would look nice printed out in a large format.

tk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 16, 2020

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Glad to get a heated debate going. I ummed and ahhed about cropping either side. The left has the path, but is also a little bit over blown on the snow. I found the right side sort of.. nudges you to the center of the image, but yeah, each their own. Camera doen't always do some places justice.

Here's another shot a bit closer:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

toggle posted:

Glad to get a heated debate going. I ummed and ahhed about cropping either side. The left has the path, but is also a little bit over blown on the snow. I found the right side sort of.. nudges you to the center of the image, but yeah, each their own. Camera doen't always do some places justice.

Here's another shot a bit closer:

Wow I love that one, there's a much better sense of depth to the foreground, the clouds/mist adds a lot of interest and the mountain is a lot bigger/more detailed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That second one is absolutely the better shot

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The second one has a strong leading line travelling into the centre of the frame. The first has several lines that compete with each other.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah second one is compositionally better in every way

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sick bricks. Very nice.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Dope af as always.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Find with the movement restrictions I'm now even more excited than usual to get outside when there's abit of mist or fog out the window.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

mudskipp posted:

Find with the movement restrictions I'm now even more excited than usual to get outside when there's abit of mist or fog out the window.

Same. I just got a new telephoto and I want to spend more time outside playing with it.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I love catching up on this thread once every few months

mudskipp posted:

:same:

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 26, 2020

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Miñiques

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took a bunch of long focal length snowy mountain shots in Canada last summer, that poo poo is fun and looks cool.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

This one speaks to me.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Shooting in forests is hard. You find a spot that looks aesthetically pleasing when you're standing there but in the photograph its just a chaotic mess with none of the ambiance that made the location so nice in the first place. I'm also bad at pictures so it might just be me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Close up tree smack in the middle of the frame" is a thing I started doing over the winter and it's cool but I ended up not liking anything I did. I'm not sure why but it's something to explore more once we're allowed to leave our houses again.

Forests are tough as gently caress, especially if you compare yourself to other parts of the world where short twisty trees are relatively common. It's still challenging there, but there's more options. Fog is the easy way out if you can get it, it creates instant separation but you run into the problem that all your photos look like a horror movie set. Old growth stands are worth looking for too.

I spent a lot of time in Wisconsin last fall and it's endless vertical lines with no subjects whatsoever. Fuckin' pain in the rear end.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So many times in the woods, I've thought I've found a decent 'subject' and that, while nothing special, THIS TIME I'll be able to capture what I'm feeling and why this spot is especially nice and pretty but then I get home and it's just another mess of trees and leaves.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Junkenstein posted:

So many times in the woods, I've thought I've found a decent 'subject' and that, while nothing special, THIS TIME I'll be able to capture what I'm feeling and why this spot is especially nice and pretty but then I get home and it's just another mess of trees and leaves.

Yeah really hard to get a nice subject and avoid green overwhelm in forest shots. The forests in New Zealand were incredible but none of my photos were able to capture it. Seems to be a dynamic range issue unable to capture that dark/light contrast that being deep in the woods evokes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah really hard to get a nice subject and avoid green overwhelm in forest shots.

The alternative is to just go all in on the green :D

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah really hard to get a nice subject and avoid green overwhelm in forest shots. The forests in New Zealand were incredible but none of my photos were able to capture it. Seems to be a dynamic range issue unable to capture that dark/light contrast that being deep in the woods evokes.

The dynamic range is fine, it's the transferring a 3D space to a 2D medium that's the issue. Trees are pure chaos and they resist all our supposed photographer knowhow to frame the scene around a subject.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

xzzy posted:

The dynamic range is fine, it's the transferring a 3D space to a 2D medium that's the issue. Trees are pure chaos and they resist all our supposed photographer knowhow to frame the scene around a subject.

A habit I can't break is a desire to shoot a trail that just has something about the way it cuts through an area with the overgrowth crowding around or arching over top. But they always end up looking so flat or something about the angle just sucks all the magic out of it. I genuinely think this where bright sunny days really make the shot better, because they provide more color variation and provide more depth.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think this actually works pretty well, something about the fallen trees in the foreground and the two framing trees with so many more behind them pulls me in and provides the depth that's hard with forests. To me, the framing feels a little off on the right side though, but maybe there's no getting around that big root on the very right side of the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I find having a path, stream, or some other sort of gap in the wood helps to give the shot some structure. Some old ones of mine that are probably reposts but serve as examples: