Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Did WWE ever try and make a play for Sting when he was in TNA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Post-WCW Sting was convinced the bad company would misuse him has an active wrestler and book him poorly out of spite. He had offers from the fed during that time period he turned down, I believe.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

He was not wrong.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Origin posted:

He was not wrong.

Wasn't it Sting's idea that HHH go over in their match?

EDIT - No it wasn't, apparently it was supposed to build Triple H up for a match with The Rock at WM32. loving lol

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 1, 2020

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Origin posted:

He was not wronk.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Is there currently anywhere in the world running live wrestling with audiences? I know lots of places are doing lockdown shows, but has anywhere had restrictions lifted enough to have fans there?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

there are some indies in mexico that never stopped having crowds

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

karmicknight posted:

Post-WCW Sting was convinced the bad company would misuse him has an active wrestler and book him poorly out of spite. He had offers from the fed during that time period he turned down, I believe.
Yeah, it's my understanding that they made him an offer after the closing of WCW, but at the time Sting wanted to stay at home with his family and continue getting paid by Turner, instead of going to another company where he'd get booked like an even bigger idiot loser.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wasn't it Sting's idea that HHH go over in their match?

EDIT - No it wasn't, apparently it was supposed to build Triple H up for a match with The Rock at WM32. loving lol

Triple H/Sting at Mania was that loving long ago already?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

So as a sporadic watcher of Raw that gets most of his WWE info here --

How did they turn McIntyre face? All I can find is one day he started doing countdowns to his claymore.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

IronCladBurrito posted:

How did they turn McIntyre face? All I can find is one day he started doing countdowns to his claymore.

That's pretty much it, he just started showing a bit of personality in his matches and surprise surprise, the crowd went for it.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

IronCladBurrito posted:

I think it was relatively naturally, from eliminating Brock at the rumble.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DeathChicken posted:

He had an interesting interview once where he said he actually couldn't stand MMA, because it made him feel terrible to hurt people, yet he was also very, very good at hurting people. So doing fake wrestling instead solved a lot of problems
Once, I was hanging out with Riddle and, out of nowhere, he started slowly throwing worked strikes at me while talking about how much he loves that he can make it look like he's hurting people without doing it. So this totally tracks.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Every indie show I saw that had Riddle on the card he would have the crowd absolutely eating out of his hands within minutes. It was effortless, even if the match wasn’t always great (though it usually was). He just radiated a ton of positive energy and always took time after shows were over to meet and talk with anyone who wanted to. I have a great pic with him where you can fully see his hog through his trunks. Unsurprisingly, something has been missing since he signed with WWE, even though he’s been at a relatively elevated place on the NXT card.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Origin posted:

He was not wronk.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Every indie show I saw that had Riddle on the card he would have the crowd absolutely eating out of his hands within minutes. It was effortless, even if the match wasn’t always great (though it usually was). He just radiated a ton of positive energy and always took time after shows were over to meet and talk with anyone who wanted to. I have a great pic with him where you can fully see his hog through his trunks. Unsurprisingly, something has been missing since he signed with WWE, even though he’s been at a relatively elevated place on the NXT card.
talk about burying the lede

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Moe_Rahn posted:

Yeah, it's my understanding that they made him an offer after the closing of WCW, but at the time Sting wanted to stay at home with his family and continue getting paid by Turner, instead of going to another company where he'd get booked like an even bigger idiot loser.

Stretch the timeline, WWF buys WCW but forces AOL/Time Warner to eat the big contracts, this includes Sting's deal, while Sting COULD have taken the lovely WWF contracts they were offering to the big money people, he'd have been very stupid to. (compare Rey Misterio Jr to Booker T, or Scott Steiner to Buff Bagwell or the nWo to like DDP)
By the time Sting's deal is up and the WWF can extend a contract to him without it being a paycut, he's seen how they've handled DDP and Booker T and is convinced that Vince is going to get revenge and treat him like an absolute loser idiot who sucks.
Does the WWA tours because of course he does.
Then TNA forms and eventually finds enough money to grift out to make Sting an offer to appear.
Sting refuses to sign with Vince until 2014.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Honestly for as bad of a decision as it was by TNA to sign Sting for like 8 years, it was a great move on his part. They usually always treated him like a huge star, Vince absolutely would have Goldberg'd him, but probably without the consolation WHC run Goldberg got.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't follow TNA, but I gather that the only person making Sting look like poo poo in TNA was Sting.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
same, was he ever Surfer Sting in TNA? or Crow Sting the whole time?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He started mostly "Crow" but kinda evolved into a cross between the two. Like white face paint with lots of colors and flair. He never really did the "Crow" thing though. He was actually generally just like a normal legend wrestler who do the usual stuff and acted like a human being. He usually wore the face paint. And he did have a short run as "Joker Sting." He also did a run with the Main Event Mafia where he didn't wear face paint.

As for whether he "looked like poo poo", I dunno. He was a middle aged "legend" so there was never much to speak about. For the most part TNA treated him like the biggest deal they had but it was TNA so booking had its lows. But he was always a big deal, either as a world title contender, authority figure, or general mentor/locker room leader. But again, there's not a ton of highlights because he was obviously past his prime and never a great wrestler to begin with. The Joker stuff was actually probably the most notable thing because he seemed to be having fun with it. But it mostly weird since it was like a weird program with Bischoff and Hogan and not like a feud with a good heel or anything. At least that I remember. And I think it all resulted in the infamous thing where Jeff Hardy showed up wasted for a title match and Sting was justifiably pissed.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 1, 2020

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hirez posted:

same, was he ever Surfer Sting in TNA? or Crow Sting the whole time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmBUUSDDKM

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Curious that the fake Brandon Lee working under the karate obsessive Eric Bischoff incorporated no kung fu into his act.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

what the gently caress did I just watch... still better than Joaquin though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The really weird part about Joker Sting was even though he was obviously aping off of the Dark Knight his performance was pretty clearly inspired by Jack Nicholson and Frank Gorshin's Riddler.

It was weird and definitely not good, but like I said, Sting seemed into it and like he was having fun doing something different.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
SOLD FOR THE BIRD

STAC Goat posted:

The really weird part about Joker Sting was even though he was obviously aping off of the Dark Knight his performance was pretty clearly inspired by Jack Nicholson and Frank Gorshin's Riddler.
It was a mix of Heath Ledger Joker and Jim Carrey in The Mask, right down to ripping off exact lines of dialogue

it was uninterrupted cringe

and Bitchoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I like to think the $3000 suit line is from GOB; but definitely see Carrey/Nicholson mix in there

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Mask stuff might have been a weird accident. Like he would always say stuff like "Its showtime!" but then when you say it while acting like that you've accidently become Jim Carrey.

But realistically it was probably Sting taking from a dozen different things into a messy mix of incomprehensible weird. They said "Hey, Sting, be the Joker" and then he just did whatever came to mind. It was like telling an actor to do an English accent and then him talking in some weird flowing mix of cockney, Australian, Irish, and Jamaican.

It was a spectacle.

And for the record if a big bird is let loose in my office I too "sell for the bird."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

birds are assholes, bischoff was right to be scared of it

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst there are probably others, my go to guy for a big famous wrestler that never won the big Championship is Mr. Perfect.

But this is not my question. I was thinking that there must be tonnes of big famous wrestlers that never won any championships. Career jobbers, if you will. Wrestlers that were famous, over, and had long careers etc. but were never booked to win a title.

So who would be the most famous/best wrestler never to win a title?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was going to say George "The Animal" Steele but:

"Big Time Wrestling
NWA World Tag Team Championship (Detroit version) (1 time) – with Frankie Laine"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there are very few wrestlers who've never won any title, but going by OP's mention of Hennig I assume we're discussing people who never won a world title

Jake Roberts is another one

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Cody?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the user asked about any titles whatsoever, and prefaced their post in such a way that no one would become confused by it. This has had the opposite effect in reality, which is good fun on the forums.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

He's not remotely good or over enough to be an actual answer but I love that Yoshi-Hashi, despite being in New Japan for 12 years , has never once held any belt or won any kind of tournament or other significant accomplishment. The day he finally wins those one of those Trios belts is the day Gedo forfeits his benefit of the doubt.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What are some good moments in bad matches?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

love when the ref counts to 3

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

What are some good moments in bad matches?

HHH/UT, WM 28: special ref HBK superkicks 'Taker into a Pedigree, place goes nuts, but it's only a two-count. UT sits up, quick comeback, Tombstone, gets two. Shawn's brain shuts the gently caress down and he curls up in the corner and tries to reboot.

Opinions vary, but IMO the match is masturbatory trash besides (or maybe even including) that moment.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't follow TNA, but I gather that the only person making Sting look like poo poo in TNA was Sting.

Hulk Hogan probably also made Sting look like poo poo a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BrigadierSensible posted:

So who would be the most famous/best wrestler never to win a title?

As far as women go, it still surprises me when I remember that Torrie Wilson never held the women's title.

She wasn't the best in the ring at all (as if that actually matters in the WWE), but she had a seven year long career with the 'E and she was always pushed hard and over as heck.