Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Bowling pin mode:

Suave mode:

I love how you can see the brown of his eye in good light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

redgubbinz posted:

the triumphant WARK at the end :kimchi:

AND STAY DOWN! <:mad:>

Crouton and Galbedir are delighted with the lockdown in Queensland. I work in a cafe in the middle of a shopping centre; most of the shops being closed and us being only allowed to do takeaway means my shifts have been decreased to almost nothing, though they're coming back up a little (a whole six hours a week! Nice!) with the Jobkeeper payment helping the boss pay us to come in and the restrictions looking to ease a little by Saturday. This means much more time spent at home and lots more delicious home-cooked meals including bird-safe bird-sized bird portions. Lots more cute videos of internet birds and scary horror movies including scary bat/mouse/rusty iron hinges/etc to scream at. Lots more stubble to groom and pyjamas to chew holes in. I will be glad to go back to work and earn proper money once things calm down but for now at least the birds are enjoying the economic downturn.

Crouton does not at all like the reusable fabric masks I wear on the odd occasion I get an actual shift:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Everyone needs to see this.

https://v.redd.it/yjgntomsfsv41

I can't find the matching YouTube video, so you guys get the reddit link.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

:allears:

Nokanoh
Jan 24, 2014
My friend in NC caught a budgie in her yard using a fish net and bird seed.
The budgie didn't even move from the dish when she put the net over it, it must have been very hungry. He's now chilling in an old cage with a towel over top (but open to allow for airflow) with access to seed/water. She has not seen any postings about lost budgies.
He's a bright yellow male budgie judging by his ceres.

I believe if no one claims him she intends to keep him. Is there up to date good information on cage size & diet for budgies? I have not kept them in decades and i'm not sure where would be a good idea to find information on that. She said she was doing some quick googling and the recommended cage sizes seemed super small (i.e. not allowing for flight in the cage).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nokanoh posted:

The budgie didn't even move from the dish when she put the net over it, it must have been very hungry. He's now chilling in an old cage with a towel over top (but open to allow for airflow) with access to seed/water. She has not seen any postings about lost budgies.

I believe if no one claims him she intends to keep him. Is there up to date good information on cage size & diet for budgies? I have not kept them in decades and i'm not sure where would be a good idea to find information on that. She said she was doing some quick googling and the recommended cage sizes seemed super small (i.e. not allowing for flight in the cage).

The bigger the better. The biggest you can get from the regular pet shop at least.

Pellets with fresh fruit and veg will be the best diet for the bird, BUT as it's currently on seed she will have to slowly wean it off the seed. Regular weighings are good for this. The pellets she gets should be the smallest size (little rice grain size). Vets have Opinions on which pellets are best that vary from country to country but they are all better than seed.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Nokanoh posted:

Dawww good luck little boodge. Definitely a pellet diet and the biggest cage you can get without the bars being too thick for the bird to climb/the bar space being wide enough for them to try to get out and get stuck in.

Crossposting from the critter thread, more bird bothering! I am running out of new species to introduce so you guys will get a break soon.

Chaosfeather posted:

Birds that I shamelessly bothered!

Here we have a handful of female and male House Finches!

Very timid and flighty, these were a bit more difficult to chase in the larger trap.

"Ugh, humans"
I just loved the loving scowl some of them had.

They were not amused that I lined this picture up. Don't worry I let them go super fast afterwards.

There was just a swarm of these birds at once, we let them go and closed the trap. Haven't seen them since.

Next we have another species we manage, House Sparrows
The males are brightly colored and super noticable.

I've caught a couple of them now, all males except one.

She is so done with my poo poo.

And lastly, a new species for me! Period! These are (both female) Yellow-headed blackbirds!

We had two ladies chilling with a flock of cowbirds. This one was pretty chill.

However...
Her friend gave me the fury that I'm used to getting from blackbirds.
If she wasn't biting me, she was yelling at me.

I love this little shithead.

Thanks for joining me!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Never stop posting indignant birbs. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ooh, she got a nice chunk of your glove too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wow those blackbirds have seriously long feet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nokanoh posted:

I'm pretty sure parakeets need bar spacing no bigger than 1/2 inch. If the bars are too far apart their heads can get stuck. The ensuing freakout can potential kill the poor thing.

If I'm off, someone will correct me. But parakeets will shove their heads into small spaces and can risk getting stuck.

I've always used Vision brand cages for my parakeets. Their design is awesome for cutting down on mess. I've got multiple Vision cages I've used over the years. The only downside is the cages are plastic - parts can get snapped if you drop the cage while moving or bumble into it, as I did a few years back. (Not with the birds in the cage, luckily. )

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yes budgies will stick their entire faces in holes or tight spaces.

Weaning from seeds to pellets can take months up to like, a year or more. My budgies won't eat pellets unless I soak them and roll it into a giant turd and put it on a stick.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yes budgies will stick their entire faces in holes or tight spaces.

Weaning from seeds to pellets can take months up to like, a year or more. My budgies won't eat pellets unless I soak them and roll it into a giant turd and put it on a stick.

Although it's possible that the budgie was on pellets in his former home and only ate the birdseed while it was lost outside?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

In order to avoid losing my mind as an incredibly underpaid essential worker, today is super self care day.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:byodood: AAAAAAA

RoboRodent posted:

In order to avoid losing my mind as an incredibly underpaid essential worker, today is super self care day.

:h: :h: :h:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has lost some grams, but still puts some legit effort into being a Borb when she is content.

I need to get a picture of her being skinny to contrast.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Serra has lost some grams, but still puts some legit effort into being a Borb when she is content.

I need to get a picture of her being skinny to contrast.

RoboRodent posted:

Some very wholesome birds right there :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
TFR just opened up a new monthly chat thread about weird animal experiences. I'm crossposting what I wrote. Some of you have heard this story, but it's been a few years since I've told it -

Crosspost!

For a year or so, I had a job that required me to travel America constantly. It paid poo poo ($100 a day + $30 per diem on a company debit card!) but I didn't have a girlfriend and was glad to travel. It was the Great Recession and I was glad to be working. In less than three quarters, I logged 180 nights in hotels. I was on the road, a lot.

I didn't have the money or the time to do a bunch of tourist stuff. I normally spent my first day's debit per diem on groceries I could make in my hotel's microwave and saved the subsequent debit per diem to eat at one nice Thai restaurant a day. This often left me with some time to kill, cheaply.

I went to parrot stores. I missed my birds who were at home with my best buddy and room mate. I made a point to visit as many parrot shops as I could across America. In Florida, I found a place that specialized in large parrots.

I walked in and they had a well lit area of eight cages all next to each other. Each cage had a big rear end macaw doing macaw things. As I walked up, a chorus of, "Hello! HELLO! Hi! Hey!" came out from all the birds. They all had their unique way of saying howdy to me and I thought it was cool as hell. Then, the parrot on the end didn't say hello. He started loudly meowing at me while waving a foot. Weird.

I spent fifteen or twenty minutes playing around and talking with the birds. Weirdo the Cat Bird just kept meowing and waving the whole time. I figured he was the weirdo of the group, so I liked him a lot.

As I started to walk away, a chorus of different bird voices said, "Bye! Bye bye! Good bye!" Just like when I walked over and they hit me with a chorus of hellos, they now had a chorus of good byes. It was one of the damndest things ever, all these birds speaking appropriate English phrases to me.

Then the chorus got to the Cat Bird who had been meowing up until this point. When the chorus of farewells got to him, he shouting, "HELLO!!!"

I wanted to take him home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Birdzarro.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Look at this kind of pigeon. I bet you'll like it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

When you roll a randomly generated character and go with it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/backt0nature/status/1256587748628193280

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Spinifex pigeon! He lives out in the desert and doesn't come near cities very often. His cousin is the crested pigeon, with whom he is often mistaken (image nsfw if your boss is a pigeon):

Crested pigeon lives out in the bush but also comes into towns and cities. He is kind of dumb and in the areas I grew up often hangs out with happy jacks (apostlebirds, CWA birds, happy families, 5000 other names) because they benefit from safety in numbers and the happy jacks know the pigeon is no competition.

When he flies his flight feathers make a characteristic whirring or whistling sound, which makes him extra fun to chase.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Spinifex pigeon! He lives out in the desert and doesn't come near cities very often. His cousin is the crested pigeon, with whom he is often mistaken (image nsfw if your boss is a pigeon):

Crested pigeon lives out in the bush but also comes into towns and cities. He is kind of dumb and in the areas I grew up often hangs out with happy jacks (apostlebirds, CWA birds, happy families, 5000 other names) because they benefit from safety in numbers and the happy jacks know the pigeon is no competition.

When he flies his flight feathers make a characteristic whirring or whistling sound, which makes him extra fun to chase.

That has to be one of the outright funniest mating pictures I've seen in my life.

The facial expression alone is hysterical.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

:allears: Thank you for that!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cereal Killer

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just a reminder that this video exists, and is Extremely Birb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxMCUk0Pg0

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

redgubbinz posted:

Just a reminder that this video exists, and is Extremely Birb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxMCUk0Pg0

literally Banane.

He screamed at soup if it was too hot.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Banane :3:

You should also know, I use your pic of Pesto hiding in a plant as one of the many pics in my desktop wallpaper rotation.

e: this one

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

omg, baby Pesto! Look at his baby budgie eyes!

Now he has the crazy eyes.

His hatch day was in April so he's pretty much a man now.

edit - im pleased as piunch that you have pesto as bg

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 4, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has learned she can get DOUBLE BONUS SCRITCHES!!! if she rubs her little noggin against my goatee while getting regular scritches.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I wonder what my neighbours think of the yelling I get when I come home. I did get some confirmation from the girls who live on one side of me that they can hear the birds, but it's not annoying or anything.

Anyway the yelling seems half excited and half angry. "I'm so glad you're home! But also, how dare you have left at all!"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://i.imgur.com/vP6XXx8.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

CRIPES he's too cute.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

a bean and a pea-pod but no bird???

mods??????

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

This is a beautiful horror film for peas.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

omg :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love your bird

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

him m o n c h :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that's the neatest I've ever seen a bird eating.