Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I like how set and forget my instant pot is. The lining isn't good for stovetops, sure, but it can at least get hot enough to sear things on the 'sear' setting, and I've made plenty of dishes where I'll just prepare a tarka in a small saucepan and stir that through at the end. Plus, I'm about to move to a place without a gas line for the stove; I'd hate having a manual cooker with a glass top stove.

Down the line, I'm sure I'll get a manual cooker, once I can get gas and a bigger/better oven, but like... if you're on the fence, an instant pot is not a bad buy at all, and you can still do a lot. It's just not the best pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chalk up another vote for stovetop pressure cookers!

I have a Presto 8-qt stainless steel one that I've used on a weekly basis for several years now. Granted, there is a bit of a learning curve with using one, but once you have it down it's super easy. It can be used as a normal stainless steel pot (because that's exactly what it is) for any purpose, and there's no risk of any electronics going bad or anything.

I will admit I've never used an Instant Pot but for my use, stovetop is where it's at.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have both, and I use one or the other depending on what I'm doing and my mood. The IP is great because it's press button make food. Stovetop requires more attention, but also lets me get a hard sear on things. I like having both tools available to me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dino. posted:

I’ve put up a few YouTube videos on my general cooking stuff. Cannot recall if it involved these exact spices, but there you go. But basically any South Indian channel will tell you to do the same. It’s such a basic, ubiquitous part of our food that we all take it for granted, because we’ve watched every person in our family do that thing when they make any food of any sort.

And apparently that makes me a condescending rear end in a top hat. 😑

No, the failure to let it go, combined with the initial, "well, if you want a lesser experience, use an instant pot, live your best life" condescension did that. Which is unusual for you, I admit, but still, the fact you still keep bringing it up is nice, too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I like the IP because I won't be making it explode and I do not trust myself otherwise. Probably an overreaction but still.

Didn't pr0k's parents have an old home model pressure oil fryer? That's just suicidal imo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure abot Pr0k, but we did. The chicken was so drat good. But holy poo poo you're just flirting with disaster.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That must have been what I was thinking of. Jesus Christ that's dangerous. I bet the chicken was loving amazing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Croatoan posted:

That must have been what I was thinking of. Jesus Christ that's dangerous. I bet the chicken was loving amazing.

thrill-seeking is the best seasoning

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Whalley posted:

where I'll just prepare a tarka in a small saucepan and stir that through at the end.
Honestly this right here is the right answer if the set it and walk away feature is something that would be useful (and let’s be honest, I can’t think of anyone for whom it wouldn’t be useful), but still wants to get that whole spices situation going. Basically what I’ll end up doing when I’m allowed to leave my home and visit people again. Because I have a rice cooker and use that all the drat time, even if I am able to make it on the stove.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
broasted chicken hot drat

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I like the IP because I won't be making it explode and I do not trust myself otherwise. Probably an overreaction but still.

Didn't pr0k's parents have an old home model pressure oil fryer? That's just suicidal imo.

All stove tops now will release after 17.5. I dont think you can make one explode without tampering.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

All stove tops now will release after 17.5. I dont think you can make one explode without tampering.

Yeah I think my Fagor has 3 different designed failure points before the whole thing goes boom

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
But will it fry chicken?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new meat slicer.

I want to see what deals Restaurant Depot has available, but two problems prevent me from being able to...

1. Restaurant Depot requires you to physically go to their store in person before you can even look at their inventory online (because apparently some idiot thinks this is a good and smart way to do business in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty :shepface:), and...
2. The closest Restaurant Depot store to me is 2 hours away, and I’m not loving driving that far unless I know beforehand that I’m gonna buy something.

Do any of y’all have a Restaurant Depot membership number I can borrow to check their online meat slicer selection? OR, failing that, can somebody go to their website and post a bunch of screenshots of their meat slicer prices (or PM them to me)?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new meat slicer.

I want to see what deals Restaurant Depot has available, but two problems prevent me from being able to...

1. Restaurant Depot requires you to physically go to their store in person before you can even look at their inventory online (because apparently some idiot thinks this is a good and smart way to do business in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty :shepface:), and...
2. The closest Restaurant Depot store to me is 2 hours away, and I’m not loving driving that far unless I know beforehand that I’m gonna buy something.

Do any of y’all have a Restaurant Depot membership number I can borrow to check their online meat slicer selection? OR, failing that, can somebody go to their website and post a bunch of screenshots of their meat slicer prices (or PM them to me)?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/14199/meat-slicers.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's a pressure cooker, not a pressure fryer, right? I don't think anyone sells pressure fryers for home use anymore.

A friend's husband is into them, and apparently the thing to do is buy a 1970s as-seen-on-TV model from ebay. What could go wrong

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

But will it fry chicken?

Oh yeah the pressure fryer was one clogged hole away from being a pipe bomb

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a pressure cooker, not a pressure fryer, right? I don't think anyone sells pressure fryers for home use anymore.

A friend's husband is into them, and apparently the thing to do is buy a 1970s as-seen-on-TV model from ebay. What could go wrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Are decent, air-tight containers for flour really $11/each, now? Amazon has the same “175 oz” ones being sold by like six people, and they work out to $10+ each, and my local Kroger has Rubbermaid for $11/each.

My current solution (1/2 gallon mason jars and gallon pickle jars) works great, except they aren’t stackable, and I can’t get my hand in there if I want a pinch of flour for shaping or whatever. I am OK staying with my mason jars, but I thought I would look around.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If you are lucky to have an Ikea nearby that allows pick-ups, here's one that's 7 bucks for that size.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dollar Tree stores have some larger screw top plastic containers that we use for a lot of bulk stuff.

They look like this with various colored lids.
BPA free, made in the USA, they stack reasonably well

They are 3 qts and they have shorter 2 qt ones as well. I was trying to look at the dollar tree website and see if you can order them online
There are rip-off sellers on Amazon selling the exact same containers for $12-15 each.
Buy a bunch for a dollar each instead.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

halokiller posted:

If you are lucky to have an Ikea nearby that allows pick-ups, here's one that's 7 bucks for that size.

drat, that's not bad, and I kind of like the low rectangle shape, so I don't have to shove my arm into a jar. The nearest Ikea is like 50 minutes away, though.

Thumposaurus posted:

Dollar Tree stores have some larger screw top plastic containers that we use for a lot of bulk stuff.

They look like this with various colored lids.
BPA free, made in the USA, they stack reasonably well

They are 3 qts and they have shorter 2 qt ones as well. I was trying to look at the dollar tree website and see if you can order them online
There are rip-off sellers on Amazon selling the exact same containers for $12-15 each.
Buy a bunch for a dollar each instead.

I was actually thinking about visiting the dollar stores around me, but I figured maybe I shouldn't be wandering around looking for trivial items, right now. I will look for those if I do go. Thanks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a couple hermetically sealed cylindrical acrylic containers from Walmart, big enough for flour, and wish I had bought more.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The nearest Ikea is like 50 minutes away, though.
A few months ago I ordered some dinner plates. I don't recall shipping being very expensive but I do remember it was delivered pretty quickly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Are decent, air-tight containers for flour really $11/each, now? Amazon has the same “175 oz” ones being sold by like six people, and they work out to $10+ each, and my local Kroger has Rubbermaid for $11/each.
That's about what I paid for the 4 qt cambros I'm using for general dry goods storage. It's not cheap, so if price is your main criteria then just ignore this. But having gone through a shitload of different dry goods storage options over the years, here's why I think it's worth it:
  • The square cambros are more space efficient than round containers. If you've got to line poo poo up neatly on a shelf, you get about a third more storage space out of square containers that line up neatly.
  • The 4 qt cambro is almost the perfect size for most 5# bags of dry goods.
  • The 2 qt and 4 qt cambros nest securely with each other and themselves, and even use the same lids. My shelves are spaced so I can just about perfectly fit a stack consisting of a 2 qt sitting on top of a 4 qt, which again is a major win in terms of using space efficiently.
  • Everything is standard, interchangeable and easy to find. I've been using the same storage system for years and when I wanted to get a couple more containers a month ago they work perfectly with the ones I've had for years.

If it was something like a ziplock bag or a delitainer or something else you're going to go through a lot of them then it would be one thing. But ten bucks a pop averaged over like a decade or more of use is basically rounding error in terms of kitchen expenses.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cambros are also American Test Kitchen's brand of choice for food containers.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I use 5 gallon buckets with a gamma seal lid for my flour. But not really worth it unless you're buying 25# bags, 25# fits in a 5 gallon bucket pretty much perfectly. I know Lowes carries them in store, don't recall if Home Depot does.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Home Depot has 5 gallon buckets out the rear end. Had to go to one today and they built a god drat castle out of them.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You need a bag, not sure what all can leech out of that orange plastic but it may not be the healthiest thing. I use Homer buckets with a polypropylene bag and a game lid for long term storage of flour and rice (for hurricane season).

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Lowes sells plain white food grade buckets, but I think their branded ones are food safe as well.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SubG posted:

That's about what I paid for the 4 qt cambros I'm using for general dry goods storage. It's not cheap, so if price is your main criteria then just ignore this. But having gone through a shitload of different dry goods storage options over the years, here's why I think it's worth it:

• The square cambros are more space efficient than round containers. If you've got to line poo poo up neatly on a shelf, you get about a third more storage space out of square containers that line up neatly.
  • The 4 qt cambro is almost the perfect size for most 5# bags of dry goods.
  • The 2 qt and 4 qt cambros nest securely with each other and themselves, and even use the same lids. My shelves are spaced so I can just about perfectly fit a stack consisting of a 2 qt sitting on top of a 4 qt, which again is a major win in terms of using space efficiently.
  • Everything is standard, interchangeable and easy to find. I've been using the same storage system for years and when I wanted to get a couple more containers a month ago they work perfectly with the ones I've had for years.

If it was something like a ziplock bag or a delitainer or something else you're going to go through a lot of them then it would be one thing. But ten bucks a pop averaged over like a decade or more of use is basically rounding error in terms of kitchen expenses.

Price is one of my main criteria, as I've been pandemiced out of a job. I appreciate the breakdown. Your last point is good, too. The cost prorated over the lifetime of the product is trivial.

I actually had looked at the Cambros on Amazon. They were coming in around $14/container, so I kind of skipped over them. Maybe I'll have another look.

FireTora posted:

I use 5 gallon buckets with a gamma seal lid for my flour. But not really worth it unless you're buying 25# bags, 25# fits in a 5 gallon bucket pretty much perfectly. I know Lowes carries them in store, don't recall if Home Depot does.

I thought about this, but I'm only one dude. I was also idly browsing things like small trash cans, lol.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I actually had looked at the Cambros on Amazon. They were coming in around $14/container, so I kind of skipped over them. Maybe I'll have another look.

This might be a good time to take advantage of local restaurant supply / food service dealers that have opened their doors to the public.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

This might be a good time to take advantage of local restaurant supply / food service dealers that have opened their doors to the public.

Wait, is that a thing? A couple of months ago, I needed something I couldn't find at Walmart, Target, etc, so I cruised into the local Restaurant Depot, acted like I belonged there, and played dumb when it came time to produce a membership card. They took pity on me (as I'd hoped) and used a store number so I could buy stuff, but it was kind of a dick move, and I don't want to make a habit of it. It didn't occur to me that any stores of that type would have changed their policies due to the current situation.

Interesting suggestion. Thanks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Restaurant Depot recently opened up to the public yeah

The one I went to you had to ask for yeast at the register tho, and you could only buy one unit

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If/When this all blows over, membership in the Kansas City Barbeque Society ($40/year) includes several Restaurant Depot day passes. I was considering it briefly before I found a supply shop near me that was open to the public.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hed posted:

Yeah, Cambros average $2-12/unit at the local supply ranging from 1qt up to 22qt. Home use is mainly going to be 2 and 4qt units which were $3-4/each with lids $2-3/each and 2-4qt units have interchange lids.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, Cambros average $2-12/unit at the local supply ranging from 1qt up to 22qt. Home use is mainly going to be 2 and 4qt units which were $3-4/each with lids $2-3/each and 2-4qt units have interchange lids.

I’m sold. I am going to verify that my local Restaurant Depot is open to the public, then go get me some containers.

I’m currently keeping my wheat flour in a large pickle jar. It’s actually pretty great until the flour level gets low.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I’m sold. I am going to verify that my local Restaurant Depot is open to the public, then go get me some containers.

I’m currently keeping my wheat flour in a large pickle jar. It’s actually pretty great until the flour level gets low.

Keep in mind the lids come in 2 styles:

https://www.cambro.com/Products/food-storage/square-food-storage-containers/camsquares---lids/

https://www.cambro.com/Products/food-storage/square-food-storage-containers/seal-covers-for-camwear-camsquares/

The classic lids are nice because they stack well and are easier to open, but the newer 'seal' lids seal much better and don't leak liquids nearly as much as the classic lids. They also make sliding a cambro out of a stack/tight space easier.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Keep in mind the lids come in 2 styles:

https://www.cambro.com/Products/food-storage/square-food-storage-containers/camsquares---lids/

https://www.cambro.com/Products/food-storage/square-food-storage-containers/seal-covers-for-camwear-camsquares/

The classic lids are nice because they stack well and are easier to open, but the newer 'seal' lids seal much better and don't leak liquids nearly as much as the classic lids. They also make sliding a cambro out of a stack/tight space easier.

I prefer tighter seals to easier access. I called to verify they were issuing day passes to the public, and am going to head up there, shortly. I wish I had a chest freezer. I can’t go through a case of anything by myself. I guess I’ll just get some containers.

On another note, I griped earlier in this thread about the KitchenAid Pro 5 I bought. Underpowered, shakes like an earthquake above speed two, etc. How do people like the Professional 600? I bought one. It’s apparently been on my porch since Friday. Amazon hosed up the color, and now all the other colors are “unavailable,” but I paid $319 for it instead of the $479 I paid for the Pro 5.

I just unpacked it, and haven’t had a chance to make anything with it. I’m just curious what the general opinion of the Professional 600 is. It seems like a no-brainer for $319, unless there’s some known terrible problem with it. I read KitchenAid cut out the bullshit and went back to all-metal gears, and that’s the main thing I think of when I think of problems with mixers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I use a Pro 600 and the price is the only thing I don't like about it, so for a discount, it's perfect. Although, I find it to be a bit of a pain in the rear end to get the bowl to lock in. But that's because it needs to be very secure for the 575 watt motor. When you turn it on max you can feel a breeze across the room.