Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I loving love that Hawkeye literally does Asian Mist when doing poison breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This game is awesome. I haven't played a full Square game since the PS1 era but am going to beat this within the next few days.

I know the Secret of Mana remake seems to be unpopular to the point where people suggest just playing the original. What is so terrible about that remake?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'll say it again in case someone didn't see it, Duran's Magic Rend is STUPID OP. I was doing Anise's last challenge, and Duran managed to pin her 2nd form down with Magic Rend, allowing me to properly position to hit all 3 hitboxes with Kevin's Dragon Torrent and loving destroy her in 1 min 30 seconds~. Not even level 80.

I can only imagine what this fight would have been like if I went with Angela instead of Riesz as I had initially planned out :unsmigghh:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Spacebump posted:

This game is awesome. I haven't played a full Square game since the PS1 era but am going to beat this within the next few days.

I know the Secret of Mana remake seems to be unpopular to the point where people suggest just playing the original. What is so terrible about that remake?

Ultra buggy, even moreso than the origional. OST remixes suck, game looks like a phone game.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Spacebump posted:

What is so terrible about that remake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4jhuhOExA

(NB: this is probably the absolute worst remix. The rest range from meh to actually pretty good!)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright, gonna start a NG+ and start doing story related teams. Really enjoyed the game, the visuals and the combat system, and my only petpeeve perphaps is that class 4 does not extend the basic combo (like go A->A->A->A->X->X for a big finish) because the combos were super fun to mix and use.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Kevin's berserker barrage is so satisfying to hit

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

gandlethorpe posted:

Kevin's berserker barrage is so satisfying to hit

Yeah, specially so against DPS check things because you see the thing not taking any damage then when the attack ends BOOM they explode

I feel like class 4 could have followed it up with either a backflip kick or an uppercut slash

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

I'll say it again in case someone didn't see it, Duran's Magic Rend is STUPID OP. I was doing Anise's last challenge, and Duran managed to pin her 2nd form down with Magic Rend, allowing me to properly position to hit all 3 hitboxes with Kevin's Dragon Torrent and loving destroy her in 1 min 30 seconds~. Not even level 80.

I can only imagine what this fight would have been like if I went with Angela instead of Riesz as I had initially planned out :unsmigghh:

God I wish I could swap characters while a CS is going off. or at least tell AI which CS not to use. The lock down is sometimes the best part of them, I use it to prevent phase changes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lmao, the sound effects for the mad mallards are perfect.

Shoenin posted:

Ultra buggy, even moreso than the origional.

The bugs have been patched out at this point, to be fair

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah, specially so against DPS check things because you see the thing not taking any damage then when the attack ends BOOM they explode

I feel like class 4 could have followed it up with either a backflip kick or an uppercut slash
Those are reserved for CS's :v:
I don't mind the lack of class 4 combo extensions, since with class 4 stats barely anything lives through Kevin's light-light-light-light-power combo.

Spacebump posted:

Mostly because it's too faithful to the original. It's definitely more of a remaster than a full on remake. And while the upgrade graphics and such are neat, the music is kind of all over the place. I enjoyed it, but the music was remixed by a couple people and it shows. The new stuff was mostly the VA work and the skits at the inn, which did help flesh the characters out a bit more.
I was disappointed that they didn't work in some of the cut content or beats from the original though, which IMO firmly cements it as a 'remaster' rather than a remake.
Like, SoM is fine but it's still a 1990's game where you sit around and wait to attack in real-time. The pseudo-turn based style isn't novel anymore.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

For me, it's the fact that they have 3d graphics but use a lot of the animation shortcuts that they used on the SNES. For a few examples; having a character stand in front of another and have the screen flash to indicate a punch reads ok on a 16 bit system, not so much on a 3d game. A few platforms raise in and out of holes smoothly, but others do the same "chunky" animation where they jump frame by frame, and it just made it very off putting for me.

Also, the music just sounds off. Not sure how to put it, but it just doesn't sound "right". Like, the instrumentation or the mixing is off or something.

Now with that said, it's the same gameplay as the original and it does have a little more character work done, and since I haven't played it since it launched, for all I know those off putting shortcuts may have been changed! I'd recommend looking up a little bit of gameplay to see for yourself.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, if you were going to remake SoM, I think you should take the opportunity to remake all the stuff that got cut from the original. Then you can hype the hell out of it as "a classic game that is FINALLY getting the full game we never had!" But doing what they did was probably cheaper.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm not a fan of calling a facelift a remake, especially for a game whose mechanics have not aged well. The moment I saw trailers for SoM remake and saw it played the same was the moment I checked out. Conversely, ToM hyped me from the beginning and completely lived up to it.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've got Undine and so far, the only major challenge was Zehnoa. It would have been easier if you fought it after obtaining Undine, but in future playtroughts, I'll know to stock up on water/ice items. Second most challenging fight was the tripple machine golems. The pattern seems to be that bosses are challenging if they overlap red zones so that the AI doesn't know how to dodge them.

Anyway, the gameplay received a huge update from the original, but the story less so. Individual cutscenes have been updated to make more sense and better conform to modern storytelling, but the overall problem of "the villains just mind control everyone" and other overlaying problems remains. The mind control can be used effectively, Mass Effect did so. However, in this game, the mind control seems to mostly serve to absolve everyone of guilt and to make the writing easier rather than setting up a horrifying villain.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The SoM remake doesn't have you tethered to companions that get stuck on every corner so it's automatically the best version of the game when it comes to actually playing it, also it lets you run on stairs

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, if you were going to remake SoM, I think you should take the opportunity to remake all the stuff that got cut from the original. Then you can hype the hell out of it as "a classic game that is FINALLY getting the full game we never had!" But doing what they did was probably cheaper.

It would have been nice to have that, but what are the chances that they even have the original content lying around in some form after close to two decades, in a company that is infamous for being lovely about preservation? Final Fantasy 8 did not get a port for the longest time because they lost the source code, and I thought I heard that FF8 Remastered was basically a hack, albeit a well done one.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I love this game. This is so satisfying. I love Lil Cactus, they are my friend.

Kevin is my favorite character so I was waiting to see what the new class CS attack would be. It's Dragon Torrent. I'm in love.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The original assets aren't floating around because they never got made. You'd need to go back and actually make those story beats that are missing, like the Dryad dungeon. That's why you'd do this with a game you think could make actual money and not a phone port you're halfassing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, finally decided to pull the trigger. Opted to go with my Collection if Mana party (Duran, Angela, Kevin), that I, uh, never completed

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A new interview with Hiromichi Tanaka and Koichi Ishii was posted on Famitsu's website, if you're okay with throwing it through google translate or know Japanese.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202005/02197804.html

There's a few more details on the creation of the six character system, and small things like there was supposed to be a Kraken boss at the end of Beuca Island, and apparently the FFXI town of Jeuno was named after Jadd or something, I had to use google translate myself.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 2, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just realized my go-to party of Kevin/Angela/Hawkeye (my favorites as a 12 year old) represents of all the hostile nations. The story was much too complex for me as a kid, so that was completely unintentional.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Duran doesn’t literally stand on the table when talking with the fortune teller. Original is automatically better.

EDIT: Kidding aside, I really like the art direction. It is budget, sure, but they seem to know how to stretch that budget.

Also...Tim Rodgers, back when we was doing videos for Kotaku, once said in his Xenoblade 2 review that the Xenoblade games have designers with an amazing eye for making areas that actually take advantage of 3D space. Trials of Mana isn't really close to that, at least from what I have seen up to Jadd, but for a remake of an SNES game, some of these maps are surprisingly and refreshingly vertical. Makes hunting down pots and items enjoyable.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 2, 2020

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Is anyone playing Riesz as a Vanadys? I’m wondering if Freya is actually worth it compared to CS spam. The spell power is huge, but so is the MP cost, and with nature aura from Hawkeye and all the CS gauge passives, I wonder if I’d be better off just constantly attacking.

Does any other class have access to Oracle? That poo poo is completely bonkers — every stat up + lunar radiance (HP boost) on the whole team any time you use any class strike with that character, and it’s a chain ability. What sucks is that it makes Nomad’s special passive, which otherwise would be really good, seem completely pointless. I picked Hawkeye as my main character and I’ve switched to controlling Riesz to better manage her CS gauge.

Does anyone know exactly what extra potent and random buff do? They also seem completely pointless when I can apply all of Riesz’s status buffs at once to the whole team at any point. Do they work with more than just Riesz’s status buffs (I.E can I give Hawkeye Extra Potent?)

Edit: Oracle is weird. It seems to only work for the whole team the first time it’s used, then only applies to the user. I don’t know whether or not that’s a bug.

Also, lightgazer is such a pain. Not even that hard, but just a big slog.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 2, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When do you start getting ??? Seeds? I'm level 42 and I just fought my first Benevodon(wind) which just about kicked my poo poo in. I haven't seen any anywhere and the game is like "You should really upgrade your class"

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When do you start getting ??? Seeds? I'm level 42 and I just fought my first Benevodon(wind) which just about kicked my poo poo in. I haven't seen any anywhere and the game is like "You should really upgrade your class"

Seeing that it's a place you already explored before, Gusthall's the only Benevodon dungeon that doesn't have a chest with a ???-seed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Erpy posted:

Seeing that it's a place you already explored before, Gusthall's the only Benevodon dungeon that doesn't have a chest with a ???-seed.

So if I want I can go to a dungeon, get a seed, leave, then go get another seed and promote everyone before I take on another?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

So if I want I can go to a dungeon, get a seed, leave, then go get another seed and promote everyone before I take on another?
Yes you can leave the benevodon areas/dungeons at any time and go to another one or go back to the sanctuary to switch your class. Another option is farming the dungeons for monster drops, eg. the moon tower (the silver wolverine guys occasionally drop ??? seeds too) instead of going to every dungeon first.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I went into Chartmoon Tower and got the one there, and fought some Silverwolves until they dropped some more and then Roped out and class changed before fighting the boss. If you have Hawkeye, his Drop Rate +5 and 10% stacks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SoM “remake” is less janky than the original, at least. It’s worth playing if you really like SoM. They updated some things (you can have a couple of move shortcuts, hit boxes make more sense, your partners don’t get stuck behind walls in ways that can be impossible to get out of, etc.) but it’s essentially the same game.

You can set it to play the original soundtrack iirc so the complaint about the new music sucking is kind of moot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

SoM “remake” is less janky than the original, at least. It’s worth playing if you really like SoM. They updated some things (you can have a couple of move shortcuts, hit boxes make more sense, your partners don’t get stuck behind walls in ways that can be impossible to get out of, etc.) but it’s essentially the same game.

You can set it to play the original soundtrack iirc so the complaint about the new music sucking is kind of moot.

Did they fix the camera? That was the most shooting issue with the original, you had to go right to the edge of the screen for it to scroll and couldn't see where you were going

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jesus, of the two ??? seeds I've gotten so far they both turned into the Knight Tag, for the same class. Gacha system for getting new classes is extremely stupid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jesus, of the two ??? seeds I've gotten so far they both turned into the Knight Tag, for the same class. Gacha system for getting new classes is extremely stupid.

Wait until you have six to plant them.

Did they fix the camera? That was the most shooting issue with the original, you had to go right to the edge of the screen for it to scroll and couldn't see where you were going

It’s still the overhead perspective but yeah it doesn’t suck quite as badly as in the original.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does Angela’s Judge skill apply to Anise and Black Rabite?

Edit: if I equip Attack Boost All on both Duran and Hawkeye, does it stack?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 2, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait until you have six to plant them.

It’s still the overhead perspective but yeah it doesn’t suck quite as badly as in the original.

It just occurred to me, can I save scum these things?

Edit: no. I just tried, it gave me prince tag 3 times in a row. That's actually what I wanted for him in the first place but it looks like I can't change to it.

Is there any way to change between same level classes?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

No. Drops are believed to be determined when you get the seed. But there's also bad luck protection involved somehow. It shouldn't give you dupes unless you plant them in bulk.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Edit: no. I just tried, it gave me prince tag 3 times in a row. That's actually what I wanted for him in the first place but it looks like I can't change to it.

Is there any way to change between same level classes?

Normal/Silver/Gold/Rainbow Seed get a drop pool of 3 items assigned the moment you pick them between a consumable/stat boost/gear. You can save scum reroll which of the 3 items you get (for example you have a seed that can give you Medical Herb/Vitality Elixir/Duran's 3rd class sword you can save scum till you get Duran's sword), but you can't change the pool that seed will draw from.

For ??? Seed it seems to work kinda different. The drop seems to be determined the moment you pick the seed, however if you open multiple in a row up to 6 you are guaranteed not to get dupes. In a NG+ gameplay if you open 12 ??? Seeds before advancing to class 2, you will only get 6 different class change items all belonging to the Light path and then you will get dupes, so it's best to wait to change to class 2 before opening them up if you plan on having a character going on the Dark path.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I savescummed a bunch of gold seeds and come on game, I really didn't need any more of Angela's class 3 ring, I already have 8 :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DoubleNegative posted:

No. Drops are believed to be determined when you get the seed. But there's also bad luck protection involved somehow. It shouldn't give you dupes unless you plant them in bulk.
I'm going to try planting them one-by-one to see if that's where the RNG proofing breaks down in my Hawkeye/Riesz/Duran NG++ team.

lezard_valeth posted:

Normal/Silver/Gold/Rainbow Seed get a drop pool of 3 items assigned the moment you pick them between a consumable/stat boost/gear. You can save scum reroll which of the 3 items you get (for example you have a seed that can give you Medical Herb/Vitality Elixir/Duran's 3rd class sword you can save scum till you get Duran's sword), but you can't change the pool that seed will draw from.
Having dropped 100-ish normal/silver item seeds this go around, this is roughly how the 'slots' are laid out:

Common Item, Rare Item/Serum, Accessory, Armor, Hat, Weapon.

Normal Item seeds go up to accessories, silver's go up to armor/hat and gold drops common items and goes up to the weapon slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lezard_valeth posted:

For ??? Seed it seems to work kinda different. The drop seems to be determined the moment you pick the seed, however if you open multiple in a row up to 6 you are guaranteed not to get dupes

This is completely incorrect. I had six carried over from my first playthrough and they went Paladin, Paladin, Necromancer, Liege, Liege, Nightblade.