Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'll be honest, part of why I enjoyed their Von Erich retrospective more than most of their stuff is because Fritz Von Erich isn't an impression literally every wrestling podcast does so I don't have to compare it to every other time anyone's done an extended Vince bit.

I don't know if it's a good Fritz impression or not but some of the Fritz impression tangents have made me laugh so I'm alright with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brian Last of 6:05 Superpodcast fame is a piece of poo poo but his Fritz impression is spot on.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doesn't matter

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lapsed Fan is a really well written podcast that would benefit from literally anyone else hosting it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

book it somebody

GCW's next Bloodsport?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Lapsed Fan is a really well written podcast that would benefit from literally anyone else hosting it.

It would benefit from being a loving book who has seven hours to listen to a podcast

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you listen to a couple of episodes you'll change your tune

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm not saying you should, but that's what would happen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dango Bango posted:

The Firefly Funhouse "THAT'S SUCH GOOD poo poo" had to be a call out to Bryan's impression, right?

I think it's more likely direct referencing Moxley's interview about his interactions with Vince during his time as the late Dean Ambrose.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's more likely direct referencing Moxley's interview about his interactions with Vince during his time as the late Dean Ambrose.

Oh yeah duh. I forgot that's where Bryan got it from :doh:

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Moxley himself admitted that Vince has been saying it forever, and anyone who knew him could have popularized it. It did gain traction from his post-wwe interviews, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The actual research and factual/analytical parts of Lapsed Fan are fantastic (which makes perfect sense since Jack is a legit investigative reporter), but the impressions/digressions to do impressions can really wear really thin. And I say that as someone who adores Jack.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah, there is definitely some good stuff in Lapsed Fan, especially the more topical episodes than the straight show reviews, but to me it seems like twice as much just pointless schtick. I forget which show it was on, but there was like a 45 minute section of one of them sneaking into the Greenville Coliseum to see the old auditorium and try to find NWA posters that was great. It's just lost in a sea of "Patterson, get in here" and butthole jokes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It would benefit from being a loving book who has seven hours to listen to a podcast

Right about now, a lot of people have nothing but time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I Before E posted:

Right about now, a lot of people have nothing but time.

I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their quarantime but surely listening two people wheeze their way through a two part, nine hour recap of an In Your House can't be it. It just can't.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

New Rudocast Ep! AEW Dynamite, AAA Lucha Fighter, and Scotty tries to get heat with Great Muta!!
https://twitter.com/RudosPodcast/status/1256091639367360512?s=19

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jack's voice makes me want to strangle him

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Here. We. Go.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1256229705696632832
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1256232089327996928

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave sitting next to Vince to protect him from Bruno on Donahue was fun.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their quarantime but surely listening two people wheeze their way through a two part, nine hour recap of an In Your House can't be it. It just can't.

Listen to me and Manflurry take three hours to review Saturday Night’s Main Event from 1990 instead! https://twitter.com/manflurry/status/1254885268055826433?s=21

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Now that's the stuff, right there.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Does Manflurry still post here under a different name

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Does Manflurry still post here under a different name

Yeah he posts as "Jerusalem" I think.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I will never be as buff or powerful as manflurry

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Highspots uploaded the whole video of Naylor's sitdown with Meltzer and Chris Hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sb0da4IwlQ

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big Dave posted:

So I finally got to see "My Dad is a Heel Wrestler" which is on NJPW World with English subtitles. I highly recommend it. Kokoro Terada, who plays Shota Omura, totally steals this film. Hiroshi Tanahashi is the lead in the movie playing the role of a babyface that was supposed to be the biggest star in Japanese pro wrestling, who was the most popular young wrestler in Japan a decade earlier, but a knee injury nearly ends his career and he comes back as a masked heel wrestler to hide his physical limitations.

His profession is kept from his young son, who has no idea of any of this, as the family kept it from him, but he follows his father to work and ends up at a wrestling show with the family of a girl he has a crush on. The movie is about young children and teenagers following pro wrestling and its heroes, with the current star of wrestling being Dragon George, played by Kazuchika Okada. The Z-1 tournament is coming and Cockroach is not at that level, largely due to knees that limit his mobility, but a series of injuries to others puts him in the tournament for what he believes will be the last time in his career.

Between all this, the Cockroach wants to turn face because his son and his son's classmates think being a heel is bad, then wants to quit, ends up getting fired, and everything you expect in a formulaic sports movie then doesn't happen. It ends up with a lesson that you can't have a top babyface without a heel and that while wins and losses count in pro wrestling, the most important thing is entertaining the crowd. You will cry many times in the last 20 minutes, that's how good Terada plays his role. Tanahashi is really good at playing essentially Tanahashi if he had never made it big.

It's not at the level of the Mickey Rourke "The Wrestler," but would be No. 2 as far as pro wrestling movies go. There are more similarities as far as the movie being a slice of the time frame with the 1974 movie "The Wrestler," which was about the AWA in the 70s, while this is about New Japan Pro Wrestling in 2018, but this movie is far superior to that one. Plus you get all kinds of NJPW cameos including Manabu Nakanishi swinging the old Iron Sheik clubs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A review that's 90% just telling you what happens in the movie, Dave could work for RLM at this rate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddammit, I gotta watch My Dad is a Heel Wrestler.

I don't know if I'll be able to listen to all this since it's 6 hours long and I simply just don't have that time to listen (you are giving your patrons good value for money!) but it's been fun listening to this surreal poo poo, especially the bit about Abrams insisting Brody was alive and coming to work for him.

Also the bit about Akeem being a punishment to One Man Gang for wanting time off to pursue non-wrestling business, I'd always heard Akeem was supposed to be a mockery of Dusty Rhodes. Was this just a matter of Vince being ultra efficient in terms of being petty towards TWO people for the price of one?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dave, sobbing, quietly whispering “go... ace!”

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Me, sobbing, quietly whispering “go... ace!”

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Dave, sobbing, quietly whispering “go... Gokiburi mask!”

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave still not asking the important questions of why Okada is ducking Dragon George

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

We all know why Dragon George got Okada scurred

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I want to see Okada become dragon george while jay white sells it hard like hunter vs cactus

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Also the bit about Akeem being a punishment to One Man Gang for wanting time off to pursue non-wrestling business, I'd always heard Akeem was supposed to be a mockery of Dusty Rhodes. Was this just a matter of Vince being ultra efficient in terms of being petty towards TWO people for the price of one?
It's Vince, what do YOU think?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

on the latest Mature Listeners, we finish up Preacher and talk about the hottest topic in recent wrestling: 2014 New Japan undercard feuds

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Parts of this episode are very depressing! But it's also GOLDEN WEEK!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1257192597208076289
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1257091990434562049

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

It's Vince, what do YOU think?

Point taken :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave FINALLY described The Forgotten Sons in a way that made me realize exactly what their gimmick is:

Dave Meltzer posted:

They're guys in pants doing moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some good San Jose Steamroller action today when Bryan tries to move onto the Wednesday ratings and Dave just continues talking about Smackdown.