Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/9951/Katamari-Damacy-REROLL/

Katamari Damacy for 8$, which is the lowest I've ever seen it!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Playing Katamari Damacy for the first time in like, ten years...

I payed full price for this when it came on Steam and recommend everyone play this silly wonderful remade PS2 game, but please note that this recommendation comes from a big sap that likes to play Katamari sometimes because of nostalgia and the game+music never fails to make me feel just a bit better if I'm having a rough one :shobon:

Also I was really hoping it would do well enough that they would get to We <3 Katamari too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's not on steam, but I got the Katamari on Switch because I'd never got to play it when it came out, and having never actually touched the series at all, its still really, really fun and well made, years later.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Orv posted:

Reminder that GreatGreen was the guy who spent kind of a while in the Dark Souls thread complaining about the way Dark Souls checkpoints worked and how they were unforgivably bad game design.

I what? I don't remember that but I'd be entertained if you can find where I said that. I'd like to see how far I've come since then if it exists, along with the context in which I might have said something like that.

I'm flattered you've remembered me for this long in the sea of posters on this site though. :biglips:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 2, 2020

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I don't really bug the thread with this stuff now but I know folks have talked about Cloudpunk and Receiver 2, and I'm going to be trying them out tonight along with the Port Royale 4 beta: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

Orv
May 4, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

I payed full price for this when it came on Steam and recommend everyone play this silly wonderful remade PS2 game, but please note that this recommendation comes from a big sap that likes to play Katamari sometimes because of nostalgia and the game+music never fails to make me feel just a bit better if I'm having a rough one :shobon:

Also I was really hoping it would do well enough that they would get to We <3 Katamari too.

Katamari is Just Good, even I enjoy it and I typically hate things of that nature.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I don't really bug the thread with this stuff now but I know folks have talked about Cloudpunk and Receiver 2, and I'm going to be trying them out tonight along with the Port Royale 4 beta: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

I will have to watch this back later, Port Royale is kind of the one economic sim that always got away from me.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Det_no posted:

MGS V could have been the best stealth game of all time if it wasn't 1/3rd of a game copy pasted twice over and with the ending snipped off.

I'd say it is anyway, even though you're not wrong about any of that. Every time I've engaged in any amount of stealth gameplay in another game since MGSV came out, I've found myself thinking "man I kinda want to be playing MGSV instead of this".

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Hollandia posted:

Just finished Little Nightmares and I had to put some (a lot of) words down to recommend it.

A kind of side-scrolling stealth horror puzzle platformer, Nightmares has you guiding an undersized kid – Six – through a strange and increasingly unnerving structure known as The Maw, trying to escape while dodging its bizarre inhabitants.

Nightmares builds tension through unsettling vibes and a small and helpless main character – practically no gore or (undeserved) jump scares, and virtually nothing that might be considered combat. Instead, you’re trading between climbing, careful sneaking and the occasional mad dash once discovered. The visuals are where the game really shines; it's got a grotesque and surreal, almost claymation style, with an Edward Gorey bent. The whole thing is packed full of quasi-Edwardian gothic detail, and the towering, crooked furniture helps to reinforce your vulnerability. The sound design also deserves a gold star for its very effective restraint, eerily complementing cinematic scenes but backing off when sneaking to maximise the anxiety in every creaky floorboard.

Six’s story has no dialogue or overt exposition, with the narrative revealed through a very effective showing not telling. While definitely not suitable for kids, it is merciful in actual content – the game strongly hints towards dark deeds, but (for instance) fades to black when you’re caught by one of the denizens of The Maw, leaving you to imagine Six’s fate instead. There is a slight TW for suicide as you pass under the feet of a hanging figure in an early scene, which seems… out of place and unnecessary, as it’s not referenced again.

The controls are where Nightmares runs into a bit of trouble; Six handles a little slowly, and the 2.5D / ‘dollhouse’ angle means you can sometimes completely miss a jump when you turn out to be closer or further from the camera than you expected. I think it works overall, as this isn’t exactly Super Meat Boy, but I can see where some players might get frustrated by ‘undeserved’ deaths (especially combined with the checkpoint system). Your very limited tools also mean the puzzles are usually relatively simple, and can get a little repetitive.

Nightmares is also not a long game – I spent a pretty leisurely three to four hours with the main story, but there’s an achievement for completing the game in less than an hour with zero deaths. Even if you accomplished this on your first try, you’d be cheating yourself out of seeing all the weird and creepy details Nightmares has to show, as well as some admirably hidden collectables. The short length might be a point in the game’s favour though, as it’s a linear but efficient story. There’s little replay value, but the DLC is just as long as the main game, has some great new puzzles for the same limited toolset, and expands the story of The Maw while fitting nicely into the original narrative.

Minor issues notwithstanding, Little Nightmares is a gem that seems to have flown under the radar a bit. It’s atmospheric, engrossing game with a lot to offer despite some rough edges. I’m thoroughly looking forward to the sequel.

E: Oh and it's currently on sale too!

I just wanted to second pretty much all of this--Little Nightmares was really good and very different feeling. One of the coolest short games I've played.
I still need to finish the DLC--I got distracted by something shiny and never got back to it.

No Wave posted:

so is it like inside but good?

I actually liked Inside a lot...probably not quite as much as Little Nightmares, but I still thought it was quite good. I'm curious what you didn't like about it? I could see the ending being a bit...divisive? but other than that...

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Definitely get into the Little Nightmares DLC, it wraps up into the main story in a very appropriate way. I think I sympathised with the Boy more than Six, so it had more emotional impact.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Triarii posted:

I'd say it is anyway, even though you're not wrong about any of that. Every time I've engaged in any amount of stealth gameplay in another game since MGSV came out, I've found myself thinking "man I kinda want to be playing MGSV instead of this".

At the very least it does have the best control scheme and movement, that's true. Ironically both Ground Zeroes and Survive put it to better use though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

aas Bandit posted:

I just wanted to second pretty much all of this--Little Nightmares was really good and very different feeling. One of the coolest short games I've played.
I still need to finish the DLC--I got distracted by something shiny and never got back to it.

I actually liked Inside a lot...probably not quite as much as Little Nightmares, but I still thought it was quite good. I'm curious what you didn't like about it? I could see the ending being a bit...divisive? but other than that...

Yeah I loved them both, and if you told me they were made by the same developer I would have completely believed you. I felt like the similarities were so strong that I can't really imagine liking one and disliking the other.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samuringa posted:

That one person that was looking for Tower Defense games just hit jackpot.

When does this special end?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Milo and POTUS posted:

When does this special end?

10 am PST on May 4th.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
MGSV's act 2 teaser was such a huge slap to the face. When you first see it, you are filled with amazement at all the cool rear end poo poo that is yet to come. Then over the next couple hours the truth slowly dawns on you and you come to resent the game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

MGSV's act 2 teaser was such a huge slap to the face. When you first see it, you are filled with amazement at all the cool rear end poo poo that is yet to come. Then over the next couple hours the truth slowly dawns on you and you come to resent the game.

I wonder if anyone will ever come clean about what the hell happened during development. Out of all the games with dev diaries, this one really makes me scratch my head.

Still, the option to play custom music from your helicopter never got old. This track was tailor-made for it, and I highly recommend everyone to test it out in-game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
MGS5 plays really well, but the narrative elements are definitely lacking compared to the high points in the series.

I think I have over 100 hours in it, though, and I don't regret any of them.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/9951/Katamari-Damacy-REROLL/

Katamari Damacy for 8$, which is the lowest I've ever seen it!

Between Caligula, Zero Escape, Virgo Vs Zodiac, and a wave of TD games, why the hell not.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Blattdorf posted:

I wonder if anyone will ever come clean about what the hell happened during development. Out of all the games with dev diaries, this one really makes me scratch my head.

Still, the option to play custom music from your helicopter never got old. This track was tailor-made for it, and I highly recommend everyone to test it out in-game.

Eh, it genuinely feels like Kojima was getting all Kojima about the game and was taking a silly amount of time to make it perfect. Konami probably did get impatient and made the business decision to ship out a product that was way past its deadline and only about 50% complete in order to at least try and recoup some of their expenses on it.

Konami are probably the ones who put in all the grinding poo poo (missions and item unlocks, etc) to try and disguise how little content there actually was after however many years it spent in development and the fallout is what we got with Kojima being removed from the project and parting ways with the company and a clearly half baked game getting released.

In short, Kojima was probably favouring Art over practicality. Konami probably forecast a bad ROI on the project and (the potential of actually losing money on it despite the brand), so made the call to force something out the door to make money where they could.

It would be interesting to know much much money Sutherland got for replacing Hayter given how little dialogue he has in the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kin posted:

Eh, it genuinely feels like Kojima was getting all Kojima about the game and was taking a silly amount of time to make it perfect. Konami probably did get impatient and made the business decision to ship out a product that was way past its deadline and only about 50% complete in order to at least try and recoup some of their expenses on it.

I think a better way to describe it, is he spent all his time perfecting individual systems, rather than perfecting the overall design, getting things to mesh in a coherent fashion. I think that's a more agreeable way of phrasing my issues with the game than just calling it the best playing bad game. That's why it's got so many neat interactions and feels so good, but has no reason to use 90% of them.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
How's Katamari with mouse+keyboard?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean part of it is also Konami actively loving with and abusing staff during the whole process, they can't have helped.

Otoh there's a bunch of stuff wrong with it that seems wholly on Kojima and Konami would have had nothing to do with. Like the story is busted and incomplete and Konami probably has a lot of the blame for that, but the degree it was creepy about women and replacing Hayter with Keifer is probably all on Kojima. I doubt Konami mandated the former, and I have to imagine they probably opposed replacing Hayter with the much more expensive Kiefer, that was probably all Kojima being a starfucker. And Kojima wasting so much money on Kiefer probably contributed to a lot of the other problems with the game, even beyond Snake having to be stupidly silent to a degree that hurt what story was in the game. And Kiefer just being a markedly worse voice actor than Hayter. And the change being classless and tacky on top of that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

MGSV is an incredible sandbox game that is very fun and as a bonus has some missions with story and cutscenes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Det_no posted:

At the very least it does have the best control scheme and movement, that's true. Ironically both Ground Zeroes and Survive put it to better use though.

ok i know you didn’t like metal gear solid 5 but let’s not get carried away here and claim things like metal gear survive was better

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samuringa posted:

That one person that was looking for Tower Defense games just hit jackpot.

hello hi that was me but the caffeine isn't working, what jackpot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

hello hi that was me but the caffeine isn't working, what jackpot

Big tower defense sale, including X-Morph Defense, Immortal Defense, Creeper World/Particle Fleet, Atom Zombie Smasher, and GemCraft.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well ain't that fuckin serendipitous

(edit) Got OMD2 separately, and the rest this. Nice haul :toot: between this and Mindustry on itch (and mobile I guess, but I never got used to touchscreen games) I'm set for TD for a while!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 2, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, I'm a pretty big proponent of the "it's only twelve bucks you goober" argument when it comes to the monthly but this is the first time I've looked at it and really had a hard time justifying it. I think the only two games I was even tangentially aware of were X-Com and Heave Ho just because Achievement Hunter played it several times.

It's actually $4.99/$14.99/$19.99

Oh, it's $12 a month ($144) if you pay for the yearly middle plan ($15 if you spend $180 bucks)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 2, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

well ain't that fuckin serendipitous

(edit) Got OMD2 separately, and the rest this. Nice haul :toot: between this and Mindustry on itch (and mobile I guess, but I never got used to touchscreen games) I'm set for TD for a while!

Fixing this dire lack of Immortal Defense, the best written TD ever made

e: Gift away, and as I said: you don't have to play it ASAP but do try it at some point. It integrates a touching sci-fi story with the mechanics and is both fun to play and good to read, which is wild.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 2, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

ok i know you didn’t like metal gear solid 5 but let’s not get carried away here and claim things like metal gear survive was better

Survive did a hell of a lot of cool poo poo. Overall, definitely a worse game, but it's got so many nuggets of improvement that were obviously half done and discarded bits that were going to be in 5.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ace Combat 7: why does the deluxe edition contain all DLC except for this one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/929103/ACE_COMBAT_7_SKIES_UNKNOWN__F4E_Phantom_II__3_Skins/

like it's only a dollar fifty I'll slam it in the cart to finish the collection but that's weird

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fixing this dire lack of Immortal Defense, the best written TD ever made

Mighty neighborly of you :cheers:

Apropos of opening the friends list management for the first time in a while: I appreciate that Steam friends lets you tag/categorize so I can keep goons and RL friends straightened out with the changing nicknames

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Mighty neighborly of you :cheers:

Apropos of opening the friends list management for the first time in a while: I appreciate that Steam friends lets you tag/categorize so I can keep goons and RL friends straightened out with the changing nicknames

:cheers:

I should try that feature someday, but ehh, effort. And it might mean that one guy who is always playing FFXIV might leave the top of my steam list and I can't have that. He's an anchor, a bastion of peace and calm and catgirls.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

like it's only a dollar fifty I'll slam it in the cart to finish the collection but that's weird

I think that one was a pre-order bonus?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dislike Tower Defense games, I think that a lot of them are barely games and just puzzles (I realize this is semantics, but this is how the logic works in my brain), but the Immortal Defense description says its made for people that dislike Tower Defense games... what's the deal here?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Immortal Defense is beautiful and surreal and haunting, but I don't know that I'd say it bucks many mechanical conventions of TD games. I think you'd be better off with Creeper World or X-Morph in that department.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 2, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I dislike Tower Defense games, I think that a lot of them are barely games and just puzzles (I realize this is semantics, but this is how the logic works in my brain), but the Immortal Defense description says its made for people that dislike Tower Defense games... what's the deal here?

It means you need to give me your steam ID so we can be friends and I can show you it firsthand, that's what!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

I did pick up Hypercharge Unboxed, although I'm going back and forth on whether or not I want to return it. Mainly because its kind of a Tower Defense game. I tried to get a couple of my gamer pals in on it but nobody bit, so I can't even test it to see if its more fun in multiplayer. Also something about the idea of having an actually decent split screen game that I can bust out when I need to is appealing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gift away! If you hate it that's cool, but please give it a shot as I think it's a worthwhile experience.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That last frame is a little too relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gift away! If you hate it that's cool, but please give it a shot as I think it's a worthwhile experience.

Ok this is actually really cool. The way the story intertwines with the visuals and gameplay is extremely impressive. Previously Tower Defense games felt too... I dunno, "gamey"? I feel the same way about card games. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want the game to successfully suspend my disbelief. Before today I would not have thought a game like Immortal Defense would successfully suspend my disbelief, but here we are.