Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I paid $4 a piece for my disappointing ones, so $7 each sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sounds like a good time for $.50/oz vanillin.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I still think vanilla extract works great, and for baking, imitation vanilla extract works fine you bougie fucks.

Also I have a container of vanilla sugar I need to use. Yes I buy pods too, but could only afford them since the past five years or so. I hate it when we're so snobby. (I am super guilty about it)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I buy the cheapo vanilla extract to put in smoothies. And for baking and what not, but a teaspoon in a smoothie is good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A splash of cognac really will give stuff a more complex vanilla flavor without the need for actual complex vanilla. I always add it to my whipped cream and it is delicious. Dark rum/bourbon work okay too, but cognac seems to be the most vanilla. Oak barrels have tons of very similar flavors to vanilla (and maybe they make imitation vanilla out of oak?)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A splash of cognac really will give stuff a more complex vanilla flavor without the need for actual complex vanilla. I always add it to my whipped cream and it is delicious. Dark rum/bourbon work okay too, but cognac seems to be the most vanilla. Oak barrels have tons of very similar flavors to vanilla (and maybe they make imitation vanilla out of oak?)

So does balsamic vinegar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had the idea a bit back of making hello fresh-style food packages for friends and family - I'd do all of the prep on something nice like handmade pasta or ramen, and then drop it off with some instructions on top of it.

Good idea y/n

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I had the idea a bit back of making hello fresh-style food packages for friends and family - I'd do all of the prep on something nice like handmade pasta or ramen, and then drop it off with some instructions on top of it.

Good idea y/n

as a gift or, like, as a side hustle?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CommonShore posted:

Good idea y/n

How much do your friends already think you have a superiority complex about food?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mexican vanilla is waaaaay cheap, like $4 for a pint at restaurant Depot. Is it significantly different?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Mexican vanilla is waaaaay cheap, like $4 for a pint at restaurant Depot. Is it significantly different?

The only thing I see by googling it is the FDA says it could be bad for you as it's not true vanilla some of the time and may include a chemical that acts as a blood thinner. I guess it's not bad enough for them to straight up ban it though? :shrug:

Also, ARGH! Quarantine baking hoarding finally hit me. No yeast and bread flour. These dumb fuckers, stop hoarding staples. They're all gonna have 50lbs of flour go bad and it's just so much waste, ugh.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 2, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Here is a pic from one of the recent 2-star reviews:

On the left, what they should look like, on the right, what he got. Mine were even shorter and skinnier.

The Penzey's whole pods are listed at $7.33 apiece, but they are out of stock. I'm guessing they can't find beans of high enough quality.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My vanilla sugar (that I just made from the skinny pods) smells all kinds of wrong and I might throw it out.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Croatoan posted:

The only thing I see by googling it is the FDA says it could be bad for you as it's not true vanilla some of the time and may include a chemical that acts as a blood thinner. I guess it's not bad enough for them to straight up ban it though? :shrug:

what, like tonka beans? i thought those WERE banned in the US?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

gegi posted:

what, like tonka beans? i thought those WERE banned in the US?
Looks like yeah that was the issue and tonka beans are banned
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6157423&page=1

From further reading it looks like they're pretty safe but one should always assume some shenanigans will occur kinda like honey and olive oil.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hauki posted:

as a gift or, like, as a side hustle?

Gift, in lieu of being able to dine together.

Scientastic posted:

How much do your friends already think you have a superiority complex about food?

Some of us exchange tips and ingredients pretty regularly. Some of us used to cook for a living together.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CommonShore posted:

Some of us exchange tips and ingredients pretty regularly. Some of us used to cook for a living together.

Then it's a good idea. I can imagine some of my friends enjoying this idea, but some really hating it and seeing it as veiled criticism.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Croatoan posted:

Looks like yeah that was the issue and tonka beans are banned
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6157423&page=1

From further reading it looks like they're pretty safe but one should always assume some shenanigans will occur kinda like honey and olive oil.

I have whole tonka beans and use them for cocktails and for a different flavor profile on foods. The ban is stupid as hell but whatever, you can buy them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Honey. That reminds me. The place in France which makes the honey I absolutely love (best I’ve ever tasted) is now online and does shipping. When my stash of five jars from my summer holiday runs out I can now order more! It’s just amazing. So beautifully delicious. The aroma is intensely floral, one can really smell the flowers the bees feasted on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croatoan posted:

I still think vanilla extract works great, and for baking, imitation vanilla extract works fine you bougie fucks.

Also I have a container of vanilla sugar I need to use. Yes I buy pods too, but could only afford them since the past five years or so. I hate it when we're so snobby. (I am super guilty about it)

They're different. One isn't the other. I use both, and it doesn't make baking bougie, christ.

As regards mexican vanilla: there are two kinds, mostly. Actual mexican vanilla from mexican orchids (which is great and where vanilla originates), and actual vanilla that may or may not be from mexican beans, adulterated with something that contains coumarin, usually tonka or similar. And it's loving DELICIOUS. I love that poo poo. People go ape poo poo for it, because it's a lovely combination, and it's basically impossible to use it in dangerous quantities. If you have sweet woodruff around you, you can make an extract or syrup and add it to vanilla yourself. I really recommend it because it's awesome.

therattle posted:

Honey. That reminds me. The place in France which makes the honey I absolutely love (best I’ve ever tasted) is now online and does shipping. When my stash of five jars from my summer holiday runs out I can now order more! It’s just amazing. So beautifully delicious. The aroma is intensely floral, one can really smell the flowers the bees feasted on.

When we were in newfoundland I picked up a jar, and it was really good. As an island, their honey is a bit different as you might expect. Recently I also picked up a jar of buckwheat honey and was pretty disappointed. Very barnyardy, and I can't imagine it ever being better than molasses for a similar purpose.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Honey. That reminds me.

It made me reminisce too, darling

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Gift, in lieu of being able to dine together.

Sure, sounds good then. I’d just try to give them some notice, or pack/prepare it in a way that doesn’t need to be made immediately in case they have other plans that night or whatever.

Like scientastic said, I have friends that would probably love the idea and friends that would probably take it as veiled criticism.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Hauki posted:

Sure, sounds good then. I’d just try to give them some notice, or pack/prepare it in a way that doesn’t need to be made immediately in case they have other plans that night or whatever.

Like scientastic said, I have friends that would probably love the idea and friends that would probably take it as veiled criticism.

If you don’t want your friends to take it as veiled criticism, make it explicit

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Croatoan posted:

Also, ARGH! Quarantine baking hoarding finally hit me. No yeast and bread flour. These dumb fuckers, stop hoarding staples. They're all gonna have 50lbs of flour go bad and it's just so much waste, ugh.

maybe you'll relate? https://medium.com/@carenawhite/why-you-need-to-stop-baking-bread-cf6b77bd7c56

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

This was so painful to read, then for some reason I kept reading her responses to people rightly calling her out on her bullshit, and it just gets worse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

It made me reminisce too, darling

I’ll never forget that night.

If anyone is interested, this is them

https://www.miellerie-denoy.com/

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Holy poo poo lmao

Hauki
May 11, 2010

well, she's gotta live up to the name somehow

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

quote:

So when you buy up all of the flour and leavening ingredients for the sake of pretty photos on your Instagram feed you are literally taking food from my mouth. And the mouths of other families who also do their own their baking so that they can provide healthy food for their families.

The unmistakable call of the White Karen

e:

quote:

Here’s an idea. If you are bored and want to learn new skills, why don’t you learn how to garden and impress everyone with your tomatoes? Or how about learning how to sew to make masks for hospitals and first responders?

What's funny about this is that the seed company we order from for our garden every year was almost entirely out of everything this year, even ordering earlier than usual for us. Likewise my wife has found it impossible to find elastic banding online or in stores to sew for masks so we're just making non-elastic tie straps for the ones we've sewn.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mediaphage posted:

They're different. One isn't the other. I use both, and it doesn't make baking bougie, christ.

As regards mexican vanilla: there are two kinds, mostly. Actual mexican vanilla from mexican orchids (which is great and where vanilla originates), and actual vanilla that may or may not be from mexican beans, adulterated with something that contains coumarin, usually tonka or similar. And it's loving DELICIOUS. I love that poo poo. People go ape poo poo for it, because it's a lovely combination, and it's basically impossible to use it in dangerous quantities. If you have sweet woodruff around you, you can make an extract or syrup and add it to vanilla yourself. I really recommend it because it's awesome.

When we were in newfoundland I picked up a jar, and it was really good. As an island, their honey is a bit different as you might expect. Recently I also picked up a jar of buckwheat honey and was pretty disappointed. Very barnyardy, and I can't imagine it ever being better than molasses for a similar purpose.

I've found buckwheat honey to be pretty niche, but I do like it in bread. Speaking of varieties of honey, baker's honey is absolutely incredible in bread, but it's also terrible to eat by itself. I've had good luck with this brand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wait, sweet woodruff syrup?

I love how it smells, but never thought to eat it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
“Sweet woodruff syrup!” would make a great exclamation of surprise, along the lines of “Sweet baby Jesus!”

I am hurt and offended that nobody commented on what I thought was an excellent pr0k’s mom joke earlier.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

“Sweet woodruff syrup!” would make a great exclamation of surprise, along the lines of “Sweet baby Jesus!”

I am hurt and offended that nobody commented on what I thought was an excellent pr0k’s mom joke earlier.

It was a wonderful joke. I actually thought about it again while reading some posts a little bit ago and chuckled anew.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

I am hurt and offended that nobody commented on what I thought was an excellent pr0k's mom joke earlier.

In going back to look at it I learned that you have 49 pages worth of posts itt, holy poo poo.

Good joke though

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This week's pasta experiment was lasagna. I made a fresh basil/walnut pesto instead of tomato sauce, and mixed up a quick beef/pork fennel sausage since I have a lot of ground meat in my freezer at the moment. Turned out pretty good.

And for dessert, I took the rest of the ricotta and whipped it with orange blossom honey and ground pistachios. It, too, turned out pretty good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What was this about it's been deleted now

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

lmao, good

it was some white lady literally named Karen (okay, Caren) throwing a sanctimonious fit about how people were taking "her" flour off grocery store shelves and only she had earned the privilege to buy flour because of some dubious past baking experience and these people couldn't possibly be using it to make actual food or anything

last i looked, it had close to 500 comments calling her out for her utter lack of self-awareness

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thumposaurus posted:

https://www.wonkette.com/no-one-can-bake-bread-anymore-because-this-lady-needs-all-the-yeast-for-herself

e;f,b, but I put a relevant link in so suck it Hauki

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Thumposaurus posted:

I’m kind of surprised because she was all up in the comments doubling down. Unless medium deleted it lol that article linked above has the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

This week's pasta experiment was lasagna. I made a fresh basil/walnut pesto instead of tomato sauce, and mixed up a quick beef/pork fennel sausage since I have a lot of ground meat in my freezer at the moment. Turned out pretty good.

And for dessert, I took the rest of the ricotta and whipped it with orange blossom honey and ground pistachios. It, too, turned out pretty good.

You know where I live, yet you did not drop any off to my house.