Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Postal 2 is saved from total garbage by knocking someone’s head off and the puke flies out their neck. It is otherwise a meme game with worse humor than 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
on this page we are completely and utterly shocked at how much half-life has crushed everything in its way and changed the industry so much already

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Aw, I missed 1998, year of Duke Nukem 3D! Kusogrande just put up a cool video of it. Four players competing in a blind run of this classic FPS.

https://youtu.be/WTAfHcBDdrs

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Very controversial of id to go hardware-rendering only for Quake 3! On the other hand, real-time tessellated curves! :aaa:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Macs get q3test first, suck it winblows losers

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
whoa, dnf isn't using quake 2 anymore! they are switching to unreal! don't worry though, george said this shouldn't effect much :)

........hey, wasen't prey supposed to come out by now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was not prepared for descent :barf:

(This is accidentally a 1999 joke, but I mean I did download Descent 3 and play it for a while, and now I have a headache. The mouse control seems a lot twitchier than I remember.)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Aw, I missed 1998, year of Duke Nukem 3D! Kusogrande just put up a cool video of it. Four players competing in a blind run of this classic FPS.

https://youtu.be/WTAfHcBDdrs

At first I wondered why this was in Kusogrande and then I remembered it had an unauthorized Genesis port

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hot take incoming: Duke3D is only a little less dumb than Postal, all in all is not that good of a game, and even if you disagree with those two points, Quake 1 and Doom are way better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I was not prepared for descent :barf:

(This is accidentally a 1999 joke, but I mean I did download Descent 3 and play it for a while, and now I have a headache. The mouse control seems a lot twitchier than I remember.)

Some old games have issues with modern mouses and their super high dpi.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Descent's mouse speed also seems influenced by the frame rate, so it's utterly uncontrollable on my modern fancy computer but on my lovely ppc Mac that barely gets 20fps it's a lot more playable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hot take incoming: Duke3D is only a little less dumb than Postal, all in all is not that good of a game, and even if you disagree with those two points, Quake 1 and Doom are way better.

Everybody likes different stuff, I personally find Duke 3D to be a masterpiece.

Maybe that didn't impress, but take a look at E3 from last year. He's fighting ants from space or something! EDF's best vs ants from space, wild ideas here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wwSti5FQk

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Everybody likes different stuff, I personally find Duke 3D to be a masterpiece.

Maybe that didn't impress, but take a look at E3 from last year. He's fighting ants from space or something! EDF's best vs ants from space, wild ideas here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wwSti5FQk

Now that looks like it has some promise at least.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

started actually playing through doom/2/64 for the first time, guessing I'm not saying anything controversial in that thy flesh consumed kind of sucks?

e: first couple of levels, at least

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5CpBfTg4o

By no means the best UT tune, but I have just heard it so many times. Chatting via the built-in IRC client on #planetunreal, joining a random clan and then never even having a single match against others, having installed so many mods that it took minutes for the starting menu to load... 100% pure uncut nostalgia.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 2, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VileLL posted:

started actually playing through doom/2/64 for the first time, guessing I'm not saying anything controversial in that thy flesh consumed kind of sucks?

Civvie actually devotes a lot of time to exploring this exact topic, and the answer is yes it sucks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VileLL posted:

You have to know it's supposed to be like an expansion for the original game (even if truly it isn't). And expansions in the 90s were always harder than the base game, it was understood that the market was people who had beaten the game and wanted more and be a real challenge. Still, Romero went a bit too far away in the first two levels, yeah.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Angry_Ed posted:

At first I wondered why this was in Kusogrande and then I remembered it had an unauthorized Genesis port
"Port," "practically a Wolfenstein 3D TC," very similar concepts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

First level is American McGee in Thy Flesh Consumed, isn't it?

Its an absolutely genital busting start to a WAD, especially if you are me and didnt know there was a rocket launcher in stage 1.

The official Doom 2 expansion, No Rest for the Living is wonderful, fire that puppy up.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

You have to know it's supposed to be like an expansion for the original game (even if truly it isn't). And expansions in the 90s were always harder than the base game, it was understood that the market was people who had beaten the game and wanted more and be a real challenge. Still, Romero went a bit too far away in the first two levels, yeah.

that definitely makes sense, i think i'm very much being thrown by the reliance on stuff teleporting in behind you, it just seems to go against the established rules, and ends up diminishing the accomplishment of cleaning out a room when you can step on something and immediately have three barons show up.

very much prefer having them exist behind an actual wall rather than just popping in arbitrarily

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

First level is American McGee in Thy Flesh Consumed, isn't it?

/checks wiki

You are right.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Skip Thy Flesh Consumed, just play Sigil

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

/checks wiki

You are right.

I only know this because I looked it up to make sure I knew who to curse

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My hot take is that Doom and Doom 2 are middling games but their legacy and the tools left behind raise them to greater heights than any successor. The lack of a singular vision really hurts their pacing and the final product ends up feeling like a Greatest Hits collection of music where you have one disc you’ll listen all the way through and every other disc is like “well that’s neat, I guess *stuffs into box forever*”

Plutonia is better than the vast majority of Doom 2 but it sucks you have to be intimately familiar with it to really succeed. And Doom 64 was always good you just needed to be able to see.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I want to post in the year of my favorite arena FPS ever. Unreal Tournament will always be my top fps ever (mp) tied with Unreal (sp).

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This is so loving cool. I hope (but doubt) this will be released in full:

https://twitter.com/danielwienerson/status/1256479140900777985?s=21

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Not quite an fps, but I've recently started a replay of a 1999 game I remember fondly from back in the day, Drakan: Order of the Flame. There's a touch of jank to it but it still has its charms, switching between swooping around a big open world on a dragon and fighting through caves and dungeons on foot is quite fun. Drakan was number two on the August, 1999 Softrend chart, least we forget. I even found a community patch for it which has it running great on a modern system at ultrawide resolution. If I get to the end of it, I may finally move on to playing the PS2-only sequel that followed it.

Thief: Gold also came out in 1999, so a shout out for that too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dave Angel posted:

Not quite an fps, but I've recently started a replay of a 1999 game I remember fondly from back in the day, Drakan: Order of the Flame. There's a touch of jank to it but it still has its charms, switching between swooping around a big open world on a dragon and fighting through caves and dungeons on foot is quite fun. Drakan was number two on the August, 1999 Softrend chart, least we forget. I even found a community patch for it which has it running great on a modern system at ultrawide resolution. If I get to the end of it, I may finally move on to playing the PS2-only sequel that followed it.

Thief: Gold also came out in 1999, so a shout out for that too.

I was just about to post about this game. I actually rebound the flying dragon controls to the joystick setup I had been using on descent for years.

I remember loving it and spending tons of time in it, but I can’t find a single retro game YouTube review, play through, or even mention of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drakan 2 was pretty good and it’s weird as hell it was a PS2 exclusive. It didn’t compromise either, the levels were just as big as PC, maybe even more open with hidden secrets and side quests and no loading.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

My hot take is that Doom and Doom 2 are middling games but their legacy and the tools left behind raise them to greater heights than any successor.

I wasn't fond of Doom and Doom 2 when they were released. I could tell that the tech was great but I felt other games like System Shock were taking that first person run around game play and doing something interesting with it.

At this point with over a decade of FPS that I've hated, I'm much happier with the games.

I still don't like Quake, though.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I still have this MP3 on my computer to this day, because it's a pretty decent Jungle/DNB track!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Knee-Deep in the Dead still holds up though, the level design is just great. The levels had a good mix of exploration and combat which none of the other episodes got right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
where the hell did all these wrong people coming out of nowhere with terrible opinions about E4M1 and E4M2 come from

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Arivia posted:

where the hell did all these wrong people coming out of nowhere with terrible opinions about E4M1 and E4M2 come from

People that are bad and wrong. :laugh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Classic Doom and Doom 2, including TFC, is the poo poo and still easily my favorite shooter, barring a small handful of levels from Doom 2. I also think No Rest for the Living and Sigil live up to them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
E4M2 is hard as hell but it’s easily one of the best levels in D1/D2.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nah, everyone makes good points. Some come down to personal preference or what the designer had in mind for the experience. I think we can all agree that the doom2 city maps become a massive boring slog on anything but perhaps the first play through.

I'd argue you need those lower points to achieve those crushing highs, amirite????

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 2, 2020

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Nothing wrong with E4M1 and E4M2 by themselves but by placing the hardest levels at the beginning makes the whole episode feel... slapdashed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doom 2 maps are fine, there are some stinkers but if we look at official releases, I love that No Rest for the Living exists and somehow it makes a smooth transition to Doom64. Not a big fan of TNT and Plutonia but if you look just at the official releases, The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are loving solid and on top of the best FPS of all time.

For those that haven't played NRFTL, give it a go. It's an exelent chapter and must play before Doom64.