Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I remember how much I liked blizzard as a teen lol, what a shame.

In 2001 there was one videogame dev I would have believed would never turn to poo poo, and it was Blizzard. Yikes wrt reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In 2001 there was one videogame dev I would have believed would never turn to poo poo, and it was Blizzard. Yikes wrt reality

I think we have to live with the idea that game companies are groups of people, and groups of people split. People get tired and move somewhere else. Or they grown and want to create their own company. Or just are hired by somebody that pay more. Or if they are artist, they said everything they had to say, and they had nothing more to say.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tei posted:

I think we have to live with the idea that game companies are groups of people, and groups of people split. People get tired and move somewhere else. Or they grown and want to create their own company. Or just are hired by somebody that pay more. Or if they are artist, they said everything they had to say, and they had nothing more to say.

uhhh, yeah, that...or your parent company is sold to Vivendi which merges with Activision :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah I don't know what it was, they always seemed so legit. Same might be said for Todd Howard because who would have thought jank games would lead Bethesda where they are now lol.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Basically all the guys who were originally responsible for Blizzard's success through the 90s-10s have left the company now. They still have some very talented artists and designers but the leadership has been taken over by the same kind of corpofucks as everybody else these days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Basically all the guys who were originally responsible for Blizzard's success through the 90s-10s have left the company now. They still have some very talented artists and designers but the leadership has been taken over by the same kind of corpofucks as everybody else these days.

Yeah absolutely. It's one of those young eyes "these lovers of games will never betray the gamer code" things.

If someone offered me shameful money for my business I'd probably take it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have mixed feelings on Blizzard. Really cool company in the 90's, but I don't get why they are relevant now or why their fans are so insane. it's kind of like Bethesda where I like some stuff they do, but they really haven't done anything interesting or original in forever and I don't get why they have somehow achieved this super developer rockstar status.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My hot take is that blizzards art style is like german romantic painting in that it teases a part of the brain and then teases apart the brain. It’s like when people were saying Doom Eternal looked like blizzard art. They’ve just completely consumed the air around back-of-the-binder high school metal doodles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blizzard's best gimmick was those insane prerender scenes. God drat that poo poo was hot. Probably also a reason for their status as a studio with an art style.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me Overwatch is a great great game. I got a couple years out of it anyway. I dunno. Mei is bae.

For Bethesda, at least they own id, who will make those awesome FPS games from time to time. And maybe Elder Scrolls 6 will be sweet some day. With dev time for AAA games getting longer and longer, a dev could be relevant even when their last developed mega-hit was 8½ years ago like Skyrim. Maybe the next one will be cool too. In the roaring 20s I'm sure we'll be used to big PS5 games taking close to that long to make.

Maybe after 20 years I might go ok, now it's been too long. They've lost it. But I still think Half-Life 3 is coming, don't stop believin' I say.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Blizzard's best gimmick was those insane prerender scenes. God drat that poo poo was hot. Probably also a reason for their status as a studio with an art style.

Yeah, Blizzard and Square had that poo poo on lock between the two of them for a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heavy Metal posted:

For me Overwatch is a great great game. I got a couple years out of it anyway. I dunno. Mei is bae.

For Bethesda, at least they own id, who will make those awesome FPS games from time to time. And maybe Elder Scrolls 6 will be sweet some day. With dev time for AAA games getting longer and longer, a dev could be relevant even when their last developed mega-hit was 8½ years ago like Skyrim. Maybe the next one will be cool too. In the roaring 20s I'm sure we'll be used to big PS5 games taking close to that long to make.

Maybe after 20 years I might go ok, now it's been too long. They've lost it. But I still think Half-Life 3 is coming, don't stop believin' I say.

Yeah, that's not doing them any favours with Doom Eternal with the way the music's apparently shaking out. Nevermind the fact the game's pretty clearly at least two different builds slapped together, and rushed-looking in places. Once you know what to look for, it's not hard to pick at the seams. It's still a very fun game, but there's some serious spackle over cracks there.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Okay, as someone who's never read a comic book in their life and has maybe seen one of the Tobey Maguire films once, the Spider-Man game is pretty friggin cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

I am an unapologetic enjoyer of Bethesda games. I even like the ones most people seem to hate like Fallout 4, but they make sort of janky, ugly games with bad writing that often feel incompetent in a lot of ways, so the weird thing to me is how they ever got in this position where they could buy a company like ID in the first place, and have an E3 presence that rivals just about anything else out there. I just don't get how they ended up where they are.

I even think for the most part they have been pretty bold and cool as a publisher. They have allowed some really good and risky games to come out that would have never seen the light of day otherwise. At the same I don't get how they have achieved this godlike status by releasing a bunch of broken games that look 5 years old the day that they are released, are riddled with bugs and feel noticeably artless and tbh sort of crappy. Even if I love them their games sort of suck. I just don't get how they are considered any sort of gold standard.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 2, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zenimax can publish as much garbage Fallout games as they like if it means we get stuff like Prey, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, DOOM etc...
One of the few publishers who focus on solid singleplayer FPS games (although Youngblood, Eternal's dogshit multiplayer and 76 seems like a worrying trend)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do4m had bad MP as well don't forget.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Zenimax can publish as much garbage Fallout games as they like if it means we get stuff like Prey, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, DOOM etc...
One of the few publishers who focus on solid singleplayer FPS games (although Youngblood, Eternal's dogshit multiplayer and 76 seems like a worrying trend)

I'm sure those studios will get tired and at least one will pop out a golden new game with some interesting things happening in gameplay or technology.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do4m had bad MP as well don't forget.

As much as I try...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Bethesda Softworks first person games run from 2012-2017 is legendary IMO

Dishonored (2012)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015)
Dishonored 2 (2016)
DOOM (2016)
Prey (2017)
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (2017)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017)

I know FO4 came out in that run as well, wasn't a big fan but it's such a solid list.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why are you all talking about blizzard and bethesda in the last of us 2 thread

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Has anyone here tried out The 25th Ward ?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

morallyobjected posted:

It's not that the scene wasn't poorly shot. It's that people automatically extrapolated from there to say the whole game was going to be bad, when it turned out that it was from a quest you never even had to see, and the main part of the game was actually very good.

That’s fair but that’s a different beast completely from the TLOU which the spoiler is the plot itself which is kind of the main draw of the game.

Some people like the gameplay but they do seem to be in the minority on that one

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bows1 posted:

Stop ruining the thread responding to all these troll post from the expert CtH

I’m really enjoying JttSP, lots of great puzzles

I’ve never trolled, I just don’t really care if my opinions go against thread orthodoxy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve never trolled, I just don’t really care if my opinions go against thread orthodoxy

You're so brave Charles. Here's to you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Bethesda Softworks first person games run from 2012-2017 is legendary IMO

Dishonored (2012)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015)
Dishonored 2 (2016)
DOOM (2016)
Prey (2017)
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (2017)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017)

I know FO4 came out in that run as well, wasn't a big fan but it's such a solid list.

but they are publishers of these games, they are not developers. Or I am wrong?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CharlestheHammer posted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tei posted:

Yeah it's more that they do publish good games from cool studios, which is a nice thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tei posted:

Yes Bethesda Softworks are the publisher

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
BP, did you give up on Prey? Saddened by your lack of updates.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Tei posted:

It's a bit complicated. There is a Bethesda game studio and basically Zenimax. Zenimax pretty much controls Arkane studios, MachineGames, and the Bethesda game studio. So all of those are under the same banner.

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the Diablo 3 game we got on PS4. Although I was never a fan of most of their other stuff.

Belan
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone here replaced the thermal paste in their PS4 Pro? I just had a wild idea to try that (it's Golden Week here but I sure as hell won't be traveling) but not unless it for sure makes a difference. I've done it on desktop and laptop PCs before, but not a game console.

Mine used to be a jet engine before I replaced the stock paste with Noctua NT-H1. I was surprised how well it worked. Well, not counting CoD menu screens. Though from what I've read it's bit of a hit or miss if changing the paste actually works.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

Okay, as someone who's never read a comic book in their life and has maybe seen one of the Tobey Maguire films once, the Spider-Man game is pretty friggin cool

Yeah it's surprisingly good, the story and characters are pretty well realised and the movement system super fun. There's a few lovely bits at times but generally it maintains a high level of enjoyment. It's the only open world game I've finished and that's purely down to the movement.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

BP, did you give up on Prey? Saddened by your lack of updates.

Definitely not. I'll update soon. Got caught up in a few other things in the last few days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ah sorry

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

This makes me glad honestly because the game's Spider-Man character is head and shoulders above the movies'.

I've seen people online time to time go "is he supposed to be this snarky/quippy? He's like Iron Man or Deadpool."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lobok posted:

I've seen people online time to time go "is he supposed to be this snarky/quippy? He's like Iron Man or Deadpool."

lol.

had a similar reaction from a friend after we saw civil war and i just had to lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

This makes me glad honestly because the game's Spider-Man character is head and shoulders above the movies'.

I love Spider-Man because his strongest power is being really loving annoying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kinda wish that one day we'd get a Spidey who doesn't hold back and basically spends most of the game exploding cannon fodder into clouds of red mist.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Question: Do I have to play FF7 to enjoy FF7R more? or, do I only have to get away with playing the first disc and then can play FF7R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!