Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Lots of good info about how some abilities/materia work in https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/g5w0wo/been_experimenting_with_the_stats_materia_and/

Some notable stuff:
- ATB Assist has really strict timing so it’s probably useless on anyone except Tifa using Unbridled Strength.

Pretty sure I've gotten it to work with 2x Triple Attack, although yeah, it seemed like I had to be fast or nothing would happen. Good to know!

RatHat posted:

- Steelskin is the exact same as Barrier, and they stack with each other.
- Punisher Mode heavy attack gives Cloud Berserk which increase damage done and taken by 30%

I wondered why he always had the Berserk debuff!

RatHat posted:

- Stop on staggered enemies(that aren’t resistant to it) will freeze the staffer timer :stare:

HOLY gently caress. If true, that's . . . huge. Like . . . *pantomimes with hands* HUGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I love how they really show Aerith's eyes light up every time Cloud acts goofy or vulnerable. The make over scene of course, but also when he tries to give her a high five

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, you can still use your regular Limit break with Refocus equipped. That’s good to know, especially useful with the accessory from beating the Hard VR missions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Arcane Ward is *just* this side of almost OP, and I love it so much. I spend time making sure it's up almost all the time. In hard mode I'd rather have two 1st level spells fire off for single mana cost than 2nd or 3rd most of the time. But I tend to be super miserly when it comes to casting vs. Abilities in Hard Mode.

And Super Anime Laser Beam can hit like a one ton anvil.

So far in hard mode a double casted thundara is actually ridiculously strong and does more damage than limit breaks

I dunno if I did something wrong or magic ups are actually that busted

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
With a magic focused build with lots of magic up and high magic attack, spells are tremendously powerful. I think Square realized and figured that one way to balance it out was to make items unusable in hard mode, and no MP recovery on benches.

I recall some goons saying the dog sidequest was really hard the first time they did it, but when I casted blizzaga each on Cloud and Tifa with their magic-oriented builds, it staggered and destroyed it straight away.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With a magic focused build with lots of magic up and high magic attack, spells are tremendously powerful. I think Square realized and figured that one way to balance it out was to make items unusable in hard mode, and no MP recovery on benches.

I recall some goons saying the dog sidequest was really hard the first time they did it, but when I casted blizzaga each on Cloud and Tifa with their magic-oriented builds, it staggered and destroyed it straight away.

Magic Tifa? Now you’re just being silly.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

RatHat posted:

I pretty much do loadouts on a per encounter basis on hard mode, the dog is weak to ice so that's what I went for :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cock hero flux posted:

weirdly barret's VA has in my opinion the best overall performance but also the single worst individual line read in the entire game

Which one?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, what happens if you have Barret equipped with a melee weapon during a cutscene where he shoots at something?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

precision posted:

Which one?

the one right after rude presses the button

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Speaking of which, what happens if you have Barret equipped with a melee weapon during a cutscene where he shoots at something?

I’m guessing the same thing when you use maximum fury with a melee Weapon it shoots anyway

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Rhonne posted:

It shows that his time traveling powers or whatever are a bit more limited than people initially thought. He can't just materialize anywhere he wants in the "real" world unless he has a robed puppet to possess, otherwise he can only show up as visions to gently caress with Cloud.

Yeah, it might be implying he's stuck there. He'd probably have a harder time sending mooks after everyone when they're in more sparsely populated areas.

Zarin posted:

To add to Big Brain Chat, I kinda feel like the key question of FF7 is similar to that of Crysis.

For Crysis: Is the protagonist a man wearing a suit, or a suit wearing a man?

For FF7: Is the Sephiroth we meet in present day "Sephiroth with Jenova Powers" or "Jenova with Sephiroth Memories, Combat Style, and Social Status"?

I would loving LOVE if the end of the Remake ends with the "why can't we have both?" meme and "Sephiroth with Jenova Powers" joins your team to destroy "Jenova with Sephiroth Memories, Combat Style, and Social Status". You could even up the feels ante if he decides to do it for the good of the Planet And Zack And Most Importantly Cloud even though it ends up killing his past self to ultimately destroy Jenova forever but at least in the final credits sequence Cloud awkwardly gives him what he's wanted all his life: an open-mouthed kiss.

I would really love it if when they get on the boat and find him there, they're like "WE FINALLY FOUND YOU" and he's like "what the gently caress are you people talking about??" and they both figure out later on that there's two of them. I like the direction it might go of grudgingly joining the party but it's his egotism that makes him do it because why the gently caress is there another Sephiroth who isn't a clone puppet???

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone mentioned that Sephiroth will join the party and I guarantee there will be a time when Cloud, Zack, and Seph are all in the party at once.

That's going to be the Nibelheim flashback, but Cloud will just be listed as "Shinra Officer".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I kind of hope it plays out in realtime, running your level 1 Shinra Mook up to backstab Sephiroth for 9999 damage

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I kind of hope it plays out in realtime, running your level 1 Shinra Mook up to backstab Sephiroth for 9999 damage

he does have pre-emptive strike materia after all

Sephiroth was ultimately his own undoing from the very start

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I must say, I do, kinda like the idea that the antagonist could be Jenova in this one, just using Sephiroth's appearance and combat expertise to further her own plans.

Ugh, I can't get hooked on thinking about potential narrative avenues, it's a bottomless pit. I should just take solace in the fact they didn't remake FF8, which remains perfect in every way.

EDIT: Square Enix - Make an Ultimecia Play Arts Kai figure you cowards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

Magic Tifa is good, it's Magic Barrett that is silly

The only spell Barrett needs to cast is Gun :colbert:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Maybe Sephiroth really did ascend to a higher plane at the end of the OG but it's not what he thought it would be and now he knows about all this predistination bullshit and is like, "Hmm. Don't like that. Let's start over."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just had the thought that if they did have the boat from Junon go to Wutai and do the continent in the reverse order, they could do the Nibelheim flashback in Nibelheim, which opens some neat storytelling possibilities.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What if the the reason there's no "part 1" on the box is because the sequel to this is Final Fantasy 16 :stare:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth will probably still be the final boss, but I could see us defeating him in a way that finally lets his soul be put to rest instead of constantly trying to comer back. Like, we somehow destroy all the Jenova parts of him, leaving only the soul of the man he was before Nibelheim and finally being at peace.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

gredgie posted:

I must say, I do, kinda like the idea that the antagonist could be Jenova in this one, just using Sephiroth's appearance and combat expertise to further her own plans.

While I’m totes on board for the multiple Sephiroths thing, I don’t think it’s going to be a matter of him being “good” given Aerith’s “there’s no greater threat to the planet than him” line. She seems to have at least some idea of what his deal is and she doesn’t like it one bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah sephiroth's being treated like a narrative cancer cell that wants to hijack everything and twist it into the worst ending possible

there might be some new metaphysical bugbear worse than him if nomura gets drunk enough one night, but not right now

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I want him to outright glitch the game at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BaDandy posted:

I think the title of "FFVII REMAKE" is a lot more literal than the surface read, considering we've had Whispers pushing things onto the "this is how FFVII "goes" track several times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah yes, Nomura's Many Sephiroths Interpretation.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the title of "FFVII REMAKE" is a lot more literal than the surface read, considering we've had Whispers pushing things onto the "this is how FFVII "goes" track several times.

At some point way later in the remake, instead of going into the Northern Crater where Sephiroth gives Cloud and Tifa that vision, the game fakes out a force quit, or the tv looks like it shuts off, in the vein of Eternal Darkness sanity effects.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It will then cost :10bux: to continue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

It looked to me like one of the clones cast level 5 illusion to create the boss fight.

When you assess jenova, doesn't it mention something about it having hallucinatory properties? I got distracted by everything else going on in that part of the game so never spent much time thinking about that line but I wonder if that's a clue about future plot plans.

BaDandy posted:

Sephiroth II dodges your attacks unless you switch your dual shock to the player 2 slot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah, Dreamweaver isn’t actually there, and the illusions that the clone is creating affected the environment as well

that trick would be handy if the party had to engage more Jenova knockoffs in tighter spaces such as, for example, a ship’s cargo hold

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sephiroth II dodges your attacks unless you switch your dual shock to the player 2 slot

"Ah, Cloud, I see you've been playing Shadow of the Colossus again."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"You lost to Hell House repeatedly. Didn't you...Cloud."

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

"You lost to Hell House repeatedly. Didn't you...Cloud."

"You don't know when to give high fives do you Cloud?"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"You were unable to score above 5k in the Speed Coaster, eh, Cloud? ...Actually, that's fine, neither could I."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Flopsy posted:

In fairness, neither does he.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Aerith, do you-stop screaming, it's me. What is the proper timing for a 'high five'?"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Flopsy posted:

He learns!!! He knows to do it after hell house all by himself!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cavelcade posted:

He learns!!! He knows to do it after hell house all by himself!

They've done a wonderful job of Cloud lightening up and growing as a person throughout the game, rather than just bee-lining into :emo: Advent Children Cloud. Of all the things he could say when reunited with Tifa in Don Corneo's Mansion, "Nailed it, I know, moving on" really is his best line in the game :allears:.

Gologle posted:

"You were unable to score above 5k in the Speed Coaster, eh, Cloud? ...Actually, that's fine, neither could I."

"Can you believe Tifa actually beat Jules at pull-ups, Cloud? I mean, I'm a ghost of a mako-enhanced Jenova mutant and even I wouldn't challenge that guy to a fitness showdown".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

'That was a pathetic marching performance in Junon. No wonder you never made it into SOLDIER, Cloud.'

...yes, that loving minigame still haunts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

After ruminating on my OG replay god drat do I want the rest of this remake so bad. I'm fine if it's not the same story, the original already exists and is perfectly good. I just want more FF7.