Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea it uses usb. Since garage band will be generating the audio, you can just use the headphone jack on your pc if you need audio line out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Yea it uses usb. Since garage band will be generating the audio, you can just use the headphone jack on your pc if you need audio line out

Do people do that? Jam with people with a Midi controller and a computer? Is it usually hasslefree?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Do I have any options when it comes to being able to use a real Yamaha YM3812 / OPL2 chip in my production? I'd love to be able to configure and send MIDI info to the chip and get the audio signal back out of it into a DAW, but it doesn't look like there's anything off the shelf available to get it done?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Shageletic posted:

Do people do that? Jam with people with a Midi controller and a computer? Is it usually hasslefree?

if you have to ask you're better off getting a real synth that you can just take with you and plug into an amp somewhere

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do I have any options when it comes to being able to use a real Yamaha YM3812 / OPL2 chip in my production? I'd love to be able to configure and send MIDI info to the chip and get the audio signal back out of it into a DAW, but it doesn't look like there's anything off the shelf available to get it done?

Ebay looks like they have them. You can also harvest old chips but it takes a donor and some patience.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

A solution I've seen to this come up on chip music boards is get an old laptop with the chip and then use one of the version of adlibtracker that accepts midi in

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That'd be a pretty cool usb device, a pcb with a handful of genuine vintage sound chips

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

PreenFM https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/preenfm/preenfm2-r1525/ perhaps an option. Otherwise you need an MSX or a Genesis devkit.

SID chips also only allow full programmability when they are in their native environment. It’s machine code.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Yes and no.

A good laptop and a quality audio interface usually set you back more than a self-contained synth (especially secondhand digital synths drop value considerably), but they also are magnitudes more powerful and flexible. Backing tracks and various methods of synthesis are not a problem. Effects? As many as you like. However, run a heavy plugin like RePro and your polyphony drops hard.

Basically, it’s a different spending curve. Most people already have a computer so then it’s usually cheap because the software is almost close to free. Let’s say you get a Korg Kross. Want cool analog sounds with lots of knobs? Buy an entirely separate synth along with it. And a mixer because you want to hear both at once. Add also a controller if it’s a desktop module.

IMO: 25 keys is awfully cramped for even just basslines and leads. Those are controller keyboards for people who travel or who need to play a few chords live. 49 is my personal minimum. 61 is best for travel and if I don’t have to lug around anything, 88 - but that is not so ideal for synth instruments.

Want to know if something is a controller only? Look for terms like audio outputs and polyphony. If it has a built in sound source, those things will be mentioned.

Any synth with MIDI can act as a controller, but not all of them are good at it. If you want something compact to jam with - what is your budget as a number, and what kind of sounds are you looking for?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DreadCthulhu posted:

I feel like that’s something that either Sam from LMNC or the 8-Bit Guy/8-Bit Keys dude whose name is currently eluding me would be very good at answering, maybe try reaching out to one of them?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Midibox has plans/boards up for an fm synth using scavenged opls.

FM synthesis is, like, the most "it's just numbers" synthesis type there is. You're not going to be loosing an appreciable amount of "authenticity" by using software or newer hardware.

plouge's chipsynthmd is really good and $30.

preenfm is fantastic, fun to build, great to patch and super compact.

Both handle microtuning well.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Does it need to be exactly a YM3812? Plenty of those PSS keyboards have midi i/o or the DFAM on tindie is configurable with different chips. Someone else just put out a YM poly thing i think

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:ssh: Just get a monomachine it's the greatest chipsynth ever created

alternatively, hail satan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmXDmu-baWs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yes and no.

A good laptop and a quality audio interface usually set you back more than a self-contained synth (especially secondhand digital synths drop value considerably), but they also are magnitudes more powerful and flexible. Backing tracks and various methods of synthesis are not a problem. Effects? As many as you like. However, run a heavy plugin like RePro and your polyphony drops hard.

Basically, it’s a different spending curve. Most people already have a computer so then it’s usually cheap because the software is almost close to free. Let’s say you get a Korg Kross. Want cool analog sounds with lots of knobs? Buy an entirely separate synth along with it. And a mixer because you want to hear both at once. Add also a controller if it’s a desktop module.

IMO: 25 keys is awfully cramped for even just basslines and leads. Those are controller keyboards for people who travel or who need to play a few chords live. 49 is my personal minimum. 61 is best for travel and if I don’t have to lug around anything, 88 - but that is not so ideal for synth instruments.

Want to know if something is a controller only? Look for terms like audio outputs and polyphony. If it has a built in sound source, those things will be mentioned.

Any synth with MIDI can act as a controller, but not all of them are good at it. If you want something compact to jam with - what is your budget as a number, and what kind of sounds are you looking for?

Thanks for the informative post.

I was thinking 300 dollars as my upper limit. And as far as sounds, basic keyboard sounds I can use to practice and add to my basslines. That isnt a good answer is it? I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Just get my feet wet.

Right now an audio interface sounds cool bc Im def not looking to get multiple synths. Maybe the 61 key version of the one I linked earlier? I dunno

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks for all the tips y'all! I got to be honest that I'm trying not to dig myself into a deep hole of DIY hardware just yet and make as much room as I can for actually making music, which I know myself well to procrastinate away from in favor of the more technical work. So the hope was to get something off the shelf that sounds like the old school Adlib or Soundblaster chip, set it and forget it.

The Voice of Labor posted:

FM synthesis is, like, the most "it's just numbers" synthesis type there is. You're not going to be loosing an appreciable amount of "authenticity" by using software or newer hardware.

plouge's chipsynthmd is really good and $30.

I wasn't aware of that, that's good to know. Most of my hardware experience has been around analog subtractive synthesis, and the VSTs that try to imitate it never quite hit the spot.. so I assumed FM would be in the same camp. I'll check out those VSTs. And the preenfm does look pretty good, hm, and it's got a lot of the modern conveniences like MIDI over USB which you now come to expect.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I bought the Behringer RD8 because it was on sale and the idea of owning "an 808" is to appealing too not do. It feels silly because I have other things that could basically get me an 808 sound but are infinitely more versatile. But trying to work within the confines of that being your only drum machine with another synth is fun.

The waveshaper is basically a compressor that can help you make your kick more punchy or make your whole mix really tight acting like a transient shaper. You can do some fun stuff like turining the attack down and sustain all the way up and get really weird sounds. There's a HPF/LPF that is functional, though it gets its input from the waveshaper, so anything you haven't sent there doesn't get filtered which is a bit annoying.

I really hope they do a firmware update to tweak the UI because while it's functional and decent overall it could be so much better. Like you can trigger note repeats in the sequencer manually and it's fairly easy, but it would be nice if you could record that live using the note repeat button since you can play it live the same way. They also need to add a way to reset your Mutes/Solos like the drumbrute and other machines can. As far as I can tell you have to manually turn each sound on and off. Fixes like that would make it much more performable instrument.

Overall though it's fun and I really like it. I love making a hip-hop beat with the kick decay at max and making the walls in my house shake :)

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 30, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1255718986844536834?s=20

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Can you build a synth cave in that game yet?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a single synth in my cave that looks like a mix between a MIDI controller and a Nord Lead, but plays a patch straight out of Switched on Bach that's always been a fave of mine (a percussive organ sound).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I have a single synth in my cave that looks like a mix between a MIDI controller and a Nord Lead, but plays a patch straight out of Switched on Bach that's always been a fave of mine (a percussive organ sound).

Yeah, not buying the game until you can get KK Slider to come to your house and help you record a demo in your home studio.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Say you have a preset you like on an analog hard synth. How huge of a difference is there between using the synth directly and sampling the synth and then just using that one sample? My guess is that as long as the synth is in a rich mix and you're not warping it far beyond one octave up or down, the difference isn't dramatically perceptible. Or am I off here?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DreadCthulhu posted:

Say you have a preset you like on an analog hard synth. How huge of a difference is there between using the synth directly and sampling the synth and then just using that one sample? My guess is that as long as the synth is in a rich mix and you're not warping it far beyond one octave up or down, the difference isn't dramatically perceptible. Or am I off here?

Depends almost entirely of the character of the sound you've come across. Where are the modulations and effects entering the picture? Part of the appeal of hardware synths, also, is the ability to tweak parameters during performance.

There's a lot that goes into "a synth sound" which makes them hard to sample in some aspects.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can get away with most things sampled twice per octave and four velocity layers if the sound responds to that beyond just the volume level.

In your own music, nobody's going to know or care whether you started out with the synth or a sample pack anyway, even if the difference could be spotted in a comparison. If it conveniences you and you like how it sounds well enough, go for it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Do whatever feels the best, all the time, forever.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Try lots of things so you know what feels the best. Also occasionally try and retry things that aren't the best in case your tastes have changed or you just want to do something different.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Sample every single note unless you are sampling on an Akai S950 with goldfish memory. There is no need whatsoever to warp or timestretch because that destroys the material, unless you have a Roland V-Synth and want to use it for artistic effect.

SampleRobot can even do it automatically for you.

Listen to Oliver - Full Circle. All synths on that album were sampled. It means the sound gets a tiny bit more predictable, but you can go all the way and sample round robin, too.

The only reason to sample a few notes is because :effort:. There are no technical limitations anymore.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Or if you’re junkie xl

https://youtu.be/aDUMMOKY3jo

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I actually like the way some samplers sound when “starved”, ensoniqs especially. But that’s going to depend wildly on the source.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:hellyeah:
I managed to cop a K2600RS a bit ago ago and it’s ridiculous. The kurz racks are so worth it if you’ve got the space at the prices they’re at.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Half the sounds on any given nine inch nails record are a woodblock sample

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I have a 9' server rack in my basement completely empty. This video makes me want to fill it with rackmount gear.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 1, 2020

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a 9' server rack in my basement completely empty. This video makes me want to fill it with rackmount gear.

:aaaaa:
well-labeled patchbays are your friend!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I have a fully loaded A5000 sampler (full memory and digital board) if someone looking for an old school hardware fix I’ll be putting up for sale soon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you are bound by a debt of honor to Keith Emerson to fill that thing up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Looking to see what rackmount stuff is available on Craigslist I came across an old Signal Generator like this one:

And now I'm fighting back the urge to buy a bunch of eurorack modules to use with it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It looks like something that would be used in a movie to give electroshock therapy

so yeah get that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Looking to see what rackmount stuff is available on Craigslist I came across an old Signal Generator like this one:

And now I'm fighting back the urge to buy a bunch of eurorack modules to use with it.

I know. I live in the Boston area which means generally lots of decent-to-very good university and tech/stem stuff to be had. After the last big impulse generator HAINBACH video (maybe it was a q+a?) I had to look around and found a digitally controlled one from 2002 for like $40 with two big knobs and I had to resist the urge to go down a further research rabbit hole.

I will say that after watching the last LMNC vid about Sam’s mega-multi oscillator hyperdrone synth project I realized what I’d do with a massively parallel modular Roland/Moog clone.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think you are bound by a debt of honor to Keith Emerson to fill that thing up.

300 lbs of k2600r

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

OH. MY. GOD. I totally missed this and it solves a bunch of problems for me that I've been dealing with for a few years, especially ignoring that MIDI start/stop message.

You're a goddamned lifesaver with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wavparty put out a pack for people like me who have a mild....obsession with the 808

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/05/01/free-sample-pack-features-busted-808-sounds/