Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Son of Rodney posted:

Does anybody know if these covid apps are actually idea and will have a positive impact? Someone having access to a whole populations movement sounds incredibly distopian to me and like something that Will be used as a dry run for more population control.

Iceland has such an application, and they have the privacy control organisation and only them full control over the data. People in Iceland trust that organisation that the data will not be coupled with any other data sets and will be destroyed in the end, so it is widely used.

I wouldn't trust the Dutch government to keep such data safe, because I have seen how that has worked in the past from the inside: 8 years ago I had worked a bit on a parking app that used license numbers of cars to register parking fees in large city garages. I had advised on separating those data from the official license number registration that was coupled to personal owner info and tax and insurance data. I assumed that data administrators would respect the procedures, because in the end all security fails when the technical staff starts breaking protocol on purpose.

Then one night, on instruction of the CEO, there was a download of the data vault with communication data that allowed coupling of the data, and that download was given to the tax office, which wrote thousands of fines for cars that were taxed for 'work only' and were found parking in weekends near big theme parks.

OK, those people were cheating tax, and legally the tax office has enormous might in data gathering, but it taught me that one cannot trust promises here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagination: it works like the South Korean system.

Reality: It works like the Iowa caucus system.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Warbadger posted:

Can you imagine any government, company, etc. ever doing this right? Even if the first government that enacts the thing does so very competently with complete anonymity and zero exploitable issues there's basically a zero percent chance it'd stay that way for more than a decade or so. Once the government tracking your every movement becomes normalized it'd be comparatively easy for a later administration to take that last step and enact some COMMON SENSE, CRIME STOPPER legislation on a wave of outraged soccer mom support over the flavor of the month moral panic or tragedy to make it increasingly less anonymous.

Basically this, but further normalizing and expanding upon it. What do you have to hide you filthy criminals???

Why do you like criminals and covid 19 death so much

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I fuckin love crime

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
^ This (surveillance apps for contact tracing) will be on SA no doubt the new tipping debate times 1000

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Australian government already had a test of whether or not they could be trusted with the public's personal data. They created an opt-out central database for medical records and swore up and down it was going to be 100% secure.

That medical data has since been made accessible to the police (without need for warrants), hacked multiple times, and sold to third party private companies.

It's not just about trusting the government to not be evil (which you shouldn't), you also need to trust that they aren't inept (which you definitely shouldn't).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not like goons have any contacts to trace anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What if the contract tracing app was also a no strings hookup app

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

What if the contract tracing app was also a no strings hookup app

Just link it to Tinder, Grindr, Yiffr and Whatevrr to make sure your dates are disease free.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Warbadger posted:

Can you imagine any government, company, etc. ever doing this right? Even if the first government that enacts the thing does so very competently with complete anonymity and zero exploitable issues there's basically a zero percent chance it'd stay that way for more than a decade or so. Once the government tracking your every movement becomes normalized it'd be comparatively easy for a later administration to take that last step and enact some COMMON SENSE, CRIME STOPPER legislation on a wave of outraged soccer mom support over the flavor of the month moral panic or tragedy to make it increasingly less anonymous.

I think Palantir is already doing this and telling cops where "crime hot spots" are so the cops are going to those spots and being primed to look for criminals, aka Black Men.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the Australian covid tracing app doesn't work on iPhones unless it's running in the foreground, which means you can't answer phone calls or anything. It works in the background on Android phones. I've heard from some people on social media that the app wouldn't work at all on their phones, I'm guessing because their phones are too old.

And did we mention that they're uploading the contact data on the Amazon cloud and not an in-house government server? There was a bit of a kerfuffle when people realised that the data could be subpoenaed by the US police under the CLOUD Act but the Australian government has assured us that the Australian Biosecurity Act would prevent that from happening. Besides, they already use the Amazon cloud to store a bunch of other data and that's worked out fine so far!

The Australian prime minister initially said the app would be voluntary, then he later said that if they didn't get the minimum 40% uptake they might have to think about making it compulsory and apparently his party kicked his rear end for saying that because the next day he said that it would definitely positively 100% be voluntary only, but only 16% of the population has put it on their phones and the initial rush has worn down to almost zero now so it looks like we won't end up anywhere near the 40% required minimum.

:thumbsup:

A few sources for extra reading:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-28/covidsafe-tracing-app-data-may-not-be-protected-from-usa/12189372
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...428-p54o05.html
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...501-p54p53.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Australian teenagers need to go around and add the app to their parents and grandparents phones. Just draft every 13y/o there with subliminal messages in cartoons and on cereal boxes (or tiktok, i guess) to go install the virus tracker on their relatives phones.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Georgia reports nearly 1,000 new Covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Z the IVth posted:

Just link it to Tinder, Grindr, Yiffr and Whatevrr to make sure your dates are disease free.

i went to a tinder hookup cuz i'm an idiot march 30th and the 2-3 weeks that followed in April waiting to die for being stupid were harrowing..not worth it, dumbest move possible

i live alone, so i didn't bring that risk back at least and i'm isolating so no other interactions during that time but the few people i told IRL lost their poo poo on me rightfully so

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That will make the next trip to FL safer.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

zer0spunk posted:

i went to a tinder hookup cuz i'm an idiot march 30th and the 2-3 weeks that followed in April waiting to die for being stupid were harrowing..not worth it, dumbest move possible

i live alone, so i didn't bring that risk back at least and i'm isolating so no other interactions during that time but the few people i told IRL lost their poo poo on me rightfully so

We've all made bad choices, all you can do is try to be better today than you were yesterday. Glad you're ok

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

I’m basically making wine from a fancy modern version of this next weekend

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Video surfaces of park ranger pushed into Lake Austin, suspect arrested

quote:

A park ranger who was trying to disperse a crowd on a sunny Thursday at Lake Austin says he was pushed into the water. Police say a 25-year-old has been arrested in the case.

A video shared on social media appears to shows the ranger speaking to the crowd and asking them to keep six feet of distance between them to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. The video then shows a man run up and push him, sending both men into the water. The suspect then climbs out of the lake and runs off.

That matches a description of the incident described in an arrest affidavit for Brandon James Hicks, who faces a charge of attempted assault on a public servant

:smugdon:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Bleh, cases in MD are marching ever upwards, but it looks like deaths and hospital use are plateauing. Yay I think!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/01/trump-team-blocks-anthony-fauci-testifying-before-congress/3070048001/

quote:

Donald Trump team blocks Anthony Fauci from testifying before congressional committee

WASHINGTON – The White House is blocking epidemic expert Anthony Fauci from testifying before a congressional committee next week, less than two months after Fauci critiqued the nation's coronavirus testing system during a public hearing.

The House Appropriations Committee had sought Fauci’s testimony at a Wednesday subcommittee hearing to look into the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed nearly 65,000 Americans.

“We have been informed by an administration official that the White House has blocked Dr. Fauci from testifying,” committee spokesman Evan Hollander said Friday.

A White House spokesman said the administration is busy fighting the spread of the coronavirus, re-opening the economy, and seeking a vaccine, so "it is counter-productive to have the very individuals involved in those efforts appearing at congressional hearings."

"We are committed to working with Congress to offer testimony at the appropriate time," spokesman Judd Deere said.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a March 12 House hearing that the nation's coronavirus testing system was not what it should be.

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now, what you are asking for," Fauci said. "That is a failing."

Instead of Fauci, the House committee will hear next week from Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Congress and the American public deserve a clear-eyed view of the path forward for responding to the COVID-19 pandemic," Rep. Nita M. Lowey, D-N.Y., who serves as the committee chairwoman, and Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., who chairs the subcommittee, said in a joint statement.

In the short term, that entails what the federal government is doing on surveillance, testing, contact tracing, quarantining, social distancing, and the production and distribution of personal protective equipment.

Long term, Americans need assurance that "lasting investments in our public health infrastructure are made instead of reacting to public health crises when they arise," the chairwomen said. "The people of this country deserve a federal government that is up-to-date, modernized and prepared to protect lives.”

Critics said the White House is seeking to silence Fauci, citing news reports that officials have prevented him from appearing at news briefings.

"Hearing that Fauci will 'take a back seat' makes me more determined than ever to elect Joe Biden," tweeted Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I.

Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., accused Trump of imposing a "gag order" on Fauci.

"His excuse? That it would be 'counterproductive,'" Van Hollen tweeted. "Translation: he doesn't want the public to hear the full truth, like 'don’t inject disinfectants' or 'we need more rapid testing.' Free Fauci!"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Bleh, cases in MD are marching ever upwards, but it looks like deaths and hospital use are plateauing. Yay I think!

Is it because all the hospitals are full now?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fatkraken posted:

Is it because all the hospitals are full now?

nah, I have friends at a few of the major hospitals and in MD they never got overwhelmed, yet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Contact tracing apps are pretty much just a feelgood thing with way too little benefit, and considering the development time spent on the apps, probably full of privacy holes

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/05/me_on_covad-19_.html

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ymgve posted:

Contact tracing apps are pretty much just a feelgood thing with way too little benefit, and considering the development time spent on the apps, probably full of privacy holes

i think i would lose my mind if i got a notification on my phone that just said "YOU HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH COVID :("

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

They're totally going to kick out Fauci and replace him with some grifter quack who says what the administration wants him to, aren't they

Is Dr. Oz busy?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ymgve posted:

aren't they a violation of privacy by default?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

davidspackage posted:

They're totally going to kick out Fauci and replace him with some grifter quack who says what the administration wants him to, aren't they

Is Dr. Oz busy?

Now you've done it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Big Beef City posted:

aren't they a violation of privacy by default?

I mean more like even if you think the privacy compromises of a perfectly working tracing app are reasonable, this is something that's developed under budget and with severe time constraints, and there will be database leaks

naem
May 29, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

anyone mentioned this yet? a governor using national guard troops to protect ppe from the federal gov

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

zer0spunk posted:

Probably not the best idea, but you have a far greater chance of contracting Coronavirus going to the grocery store or picking up takeout for dinner than meeting one single person who probably isn't ill. 1-on-1 engagements were never the problem.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

anyone mentioned this yet? a governor using national guard troops to protect ppe from the federal gov

Well he has most likely seen the usa blatantly steal ppe from other countries, so this is absolutely reasonable.

naem
May 29, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well he has most likely seen the usa blatantly steal ppe from other countries, so this is absolutely reasonable.

the article mentions that they diverted the plane mid-flight so it would land in a different airport where they had ng troops waiting, all to buy them enough time to unload it and get it safely hidden in an undisclosed location :911:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Is Dr. Oz busy?

No, it'll be Phil.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

The govt can already track your phone however they want without a custom app.

One of the main concerns is how exploitable those apps are gonna be by malicious third parties, and whether you'll be socially peer pressured into installing them.

what is un-social peer pressure

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

No, it'll be Phil.

Doubt it

well ok maybe

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article242094646.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know it was from a couple pages ago and is now ancient history, but the idea of a bunch of australian "protestors" showing up to protest except no one remembered to bring any signs so its just a bunch of sad people milling around is hilarious

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’m in a rural part of the states and contract tracing , at this point, seems like a waste of resources in almost all instances.

Most people are still going to work and doing what they usually do . If it’s as contagious as it seems, it’s absolutely everywhere.

I would never install any such app. The feds can watch everything all ready , nothing we can do about that , but any additional app with that design is just going to allow additional people to see that data. No thanks

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drat that is a poorly written headline.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

What would they do if the feds showed up. Hold onto the boxes really tight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SHISHKABOB posted:

What would they do if the feds showed up. Hold onto the boxes really tight?

You're asking what sorts of conflicts could arise from two heavily armed militias clashing over material resources?