Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ok this is actually really cool. The way the story intertwines with the visuals and gameplay is extremely impressive. Previously Tower Defense games felt too... I dunno, "gamey"? I feel the same way about card games. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want the game to successfully suspend my disbelief. Before today I would not have thought a game like Immortal Defense would successfully suspend my disbelief, but here we are.

98% of all Tower Defense games are games first, story second. The only exceptions I know of are Immortal Defense (which does it best, imo), Defender's Quest, and I think Sangfroid. This is not to say that I don't love game-focused TDs - Defense Grid is a treat to play as you make your own mazes, and such. But Immortal Defense stands heads and shoulders above the rest by telling a serious sci-fi story and integrating it into the gameplay in a way that turns it into art. So to speak.

I'm so, so happy it clicked for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
How is Chrono Trigger on Steam? I heard it launched in a bad state, but that Square-Enix rolled some patches out to fix it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The port should be passable now, unless they've hosed it up again since I played.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Filament is an extremely good puzzle game that is everything The Witness wishes it was in that it actually has a story and all the fat is trimmed away. Each puzzle in a theme gets progressively harder and while there are some absolutely bullshit, brain-frying puzzles there is technically more than one way to solve them. You are a space man exploring a ship whose previous occupants were working on a project that went horribly wrong. To find out what happened you have to unlock 'anchors' built around the ship that are built for story reasons.

Here's an example solution:

The gimmick of each puzzle is lighting up the pylons without crossing the stream. This puzzle's particular theme is that one pylon or a group of them need to be activated before you can touch others, designated by the arrows pointing to them.

Get this game. It's fun.

OhFunny posted:

How is Chrono Trigger on Steam? I heard it launched in a bad state, but that Square-Enix rolled some patches out to fix it.

All negative reviews can now be ignored. Play on the original graphics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OhFunny posted:

It's actually really good now. You can play it in a mode that is just like the original SNES version, but with the updated translation from the DS port. It actually defaults to having the awful "HD" filters turned off now, so you don't even have to mess with the options from the start. It has the extra postgame content from the DS version, as well as the anime cutscenes from the PS1 version.

The only flaw is that the UI is still a little too big in a few places (since it's still based on a mobile port) but honestly not half as bad as the other old Final Fantasy ports Square has put on steam.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Filament trip report, ~15 hours in (although probably several of those were the game being left running in the background):

Despite surface appearances, it's actually quite unlike The Witness; all it borrows from that game (which, to help you calibrate this review, I think of as one of the best puzzle games of all time) is the open structure, where you can wander the entire ship and start any of the ~15 puzzle sequences in whichever order you choose. The puzzles themselves have very little in common with The Witness's; where TW's were all about deciphering rules governing your movement on a discrete grid, Filament's puzzles play with sequence and precise physical placement of the lines to a degree that requires an entirely different sort of thinking. Puzzles from The Witness could be screenshotted and played with in Paint or something to try and test out ideas; it's completely impossible to test possible solutions in Filament without actually going through the motions in-game.

This brings me to my biggest complaint about the game, actually: while it does a good job teaching you the rules of each puzzle variant, it does a very poor job teaching you how to solve them. The puzzle escalation relies far too much on just ramping up the size and complexity, rather than thinking in terms of "tricks" you need to learn. Compare this to something like Snakebird Primer, an absolute master class in reducing an infamously difficult and opaque puzzle game into tiny little chunks of learning; I ran into a brick wall the first time I tried the original Snakebird, but after playing Primer and paying close attention to what "aha" each level was trying to get me to have (as opposed to just brute-forcing my way through), I came back to it and started blazing through. One of the things that makes The Witness so good is that this sort of piece-by-piece learning is integrated into every single puzzle sequence in a way that feels effortless, that teaches you the proper puzzle-solving heuristics without you even noticing you're being taught.

Filament, on the other hand, presents puzzles so big and complex that you both can't really hold the whole puzzle's "shape" in your head at once and can't get a good sense of where even to start solving them, or recognize, like, chunks of the puzzle that are vulnerable to tricks you figured out earlier. There are a few exceptions -- the "constellation" puzzles give you lines on the floor that dramatically limit the possibility space, and the "jigsaw" puzzles indicate, roughly, which set of pillars need to be connected before which other sets -- but by and large I find myself stuck on Filament puzzles because I don't even know how to start, or where in my attempted solutions I've even taken a step wrong. I've actually started keeping a guide open and, when I get overwhelmed, taking a peek at the first move, because with even that little guidance I'm usually able to think about the rest of the puzzle more productively.

On the more positive side, the story and writing is great -- I'm really enjoying the worldbuilding and characters (revealed through eleven weeks of archived emails that you collect piece by piece), and the hidden bonus puzzles are really excellent and challenging. The narrative structure actually reminds me very strongly of The Talos Principle (also one of my favorite puzzle games ever), where solving a few puzzles earns you some voiceover and a big chunk of reading. The narrative and secret puzzles are most of what's pushing me to finish the game at the moment, helped along by some great voice acting.

Anyway I think my final recommendation is: it's a pretty good puzzle game, but the puzzle design holds it back from true greatness. It's worth a purchase if the puzzle style seems interesting to you, because it's legit not a type of puzzle I've seen anywhere before and they get a ton of mileage out of it, but be prepared for an unnecessarily steep learning curve.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OhFunny posted:

I personally can't get past the font. Without the original font, I can't get nostalgia to properly happen

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Occultatio posted:

Filament trip report, ~15 hours in (although probably several of those were the game being left running in the background):

Filament, on the other hand, presents puzzles so big and complex that you both can't really hold the whole puzzle's "shape" in your head at once and can't get a good sense of where even to start solving them, or recognize, like, chunks of the puzzle that are vulnerable to tricks you figured out earlier. There are a few exceptions -- the "constellation" puzzles give you lines on the floor that dramatically limit the possibility space, and the "jigsaw" puzzles indicate, roughly, which set of pillars need to be connected before which other sets -- but by and large I find myself stuck on Filament puzzles because I don't even know how to start, or where in my attempted solutions I've even taken a step wrong. I've actually started keeping a guide open and, when I get overwhelmed, taking a peek at the first move, because with even that little guidance I'm usually able to think about the rest of the puzzle more productively.

Agreed. Some puzzles are pretty good about 'HEY YOU NEED TO START HERE' by making it impossible to progress without doing so, but there's the others that are just 20 minutes of 'where the f do I go'. These seem to be the 4th puzzle in the group of 5. That said after completing the 4th, the 5th is a cakewalk. At least in my experience.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm pretty sold on Little Nightmares, are all the DLCs worth it for the extra $2.50?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm pretty sold on Little Nightmares, are all the DLCs worth it for the extra $2.50?

The three DLCs listed at $2.50 each are all part of the same bonus campaign, so get the Secrets of the Maw Expansion Pass for $5 instead. And yeah, if you're enjoying the main story, the DLC campaign is good too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

The three DLCs listed at $2.50 each are all part of the same bonus campaign, so get the Secrets of the Maw Expansion Pass for $5 instead. And yeah, if you're enjoying the main story, the DLC campaign is good too.

I'm confused; isn't the Complete Edition a better deal? $7.50 for the three DLCs and Secrets of the Maw?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm confused; isn't the Complete Edition a better deal? $7.50 for the three DLCs and Secrets of the Maw?

Oh yeah, I missed that one, get that then :)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

Oh yeah, I missed that one, get that then :)

Haha, thanks! :toot:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks for all posts about Chrono Trigger goons. I've never played it before, but know it's a classic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ace Combat 7: oh poo poo be careful you can blow up the president

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Would you guys suggest the first Rock of Ages or Orcs Must Die 2 to gift/play with my little cousin? I was leaning towards OMD2 for the coop aspect but would it maybe be too hard for her? Shes not that bad at games and maybe I'd be able to carry us enough through the levels but I dunno.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't see the downside.

It reminds me, though, that I've got the game, was really looking forward to it and promptly forgot about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I don't see the downside.

It reminds me, though, that I've got the game, was really looking forward to it and promptly forgot about it.

You should play it, I'm finding it to be insanely fun - and I thought I wasn't into this genre at all! But no, it's super slick and feels great blowing things up. Plus the plot is heating up into something actually compelling.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Return of the Obra Dinn is $13.99 (30% off) until Wednesday.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm not sure I would recommend Chrono Trigger to new players as an adult. I loved the game as a kid, but I do remember a non-zero amount of grind, and a lot of the fun being in weird post-endgame sort of crap that I now recognize most people won't have time for anymore.

But I suppose that's endemic to the genre? If you're browsing steam for terrible RPGmaker stuff, then yea screw that go play CT instead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Serephina posted:

I'm not sure I would recommend Chrono Trigger to new players as an adult. I loved the game as a kid, but I do remember a non-zero amount of grind, and a lot of the fun being in weird post-endgame sort of crap that I now recognize most people won't have time for anymore.

But I suppose that's endemic to the genre? If you're browsing steam for terrible RPGmaker stuff, then yea screw that go play CT instead.

You don't have to grind in Chrono Trigger, except if you're like 11 and don't do anything in battle but select attack every turn.

There is a new game + where you can essentially play through the games as many times as you want and "grind" but that's mostly to get goofy alternate endings. Even if you don't bother with that a single playthrough is worthwhile and tells a great self-contained story in its own right. It really deserves its recognition as a classic and one of the greats of the genre.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chrono Trigger only has grind if you're trying to max out everyone's techs. I think it's a tiny bit overrated but it's still a classic for good reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A classic RPG made by Square at the top of their days is on the same level as a random rpgmaker game, gotcha.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

You should play it, I'm finding it to be insanely fun - and I thought I wasn't into this genre at all! But no, it's super slick and feels great blowing things up. Plus the plot is heating up into something actually compelling.

Again, make sure you get the story DLC if you haven't already. It's peak Ace Combat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

you didn't actually blow up the president

i really need to finish off ace combat 7 one of these days. i love the thing but i just kind of dropped it around the last 3-4 missions and haven't gotten the urge to polish it off. it's basically everything what my stupid rear end wants from a "flight sim" game, light on the simulation part, heavy on the missiles blowing things up part

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

former president

Ace Combat 7 owns

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Samuringa posted:

A classic RPG made by Square at the top of their days is on the same level as a random rpgmaker game, gotcha.

That night be the spiciest take in this topic :psyduck:

Like.. gently caress

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Steam Thread 2020: The Strategic AI Has Chosen Sales Over Backlog

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also the soundtrack has no right to be as dramatic or good as it is for what is essentially a throwaway side series for namco bandai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I91foK9Qwvw

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

ok i know you didn’t like metal gear solid 5 but let’s not get carried away here and claim things like metal gear survive was better

:shrug: I ended up playing it more. I finished MGS V in like 80 hours and I put down Survive after 110 or so. The base building was much better and practically what people wanted out of V, the story actually had a narrative arc and ending, sneaking around to find the hidden boxes with music tracks from past games and blueprints for stuff was cool and the extra abilities each class had were interesting. Multiplayer was pretty fun and it only failed because the game never had a big playerbase in the first place, like a self fulfilling prophecy.

If anything, Survive is underrated. It's big problem was that it had no campaign co-op and left its most radical gameplay changes for after the campaign, at which point the small playerbase doomed it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean part of it is also Konami actively loving with and abusing staff during the whole process, they can't have helped.

Otoh there's a bunch of stuff wrong with it that seems wholly on Kojima and Konami would have had nothing to do with. Like the story is busted and incomplete and Konami probably has a lot of the blame for that, but the degree it was creepy about women and replacing Hayter with Keifer is probably all on Kojima. I doubt Konami mandated the former, and I have to imagine they probably opposed replacing Hayter with the much more expensive Kiefer, that was probably all Kojima being a starfucker. And Kojima wasting so much money on Kiefer probably contributed to a lot of the other problems with the game, even beyond Snake having to be stupidly silent to a degree that hurt what story was in the game. And Kiefer just being a markedly worse voice actor than Hayter. And the change being classless and tacky on top of that.

That's the thing about why it reeks more of a Kojima fuckup than a Konami. The latter is a profit driven business who would probably have Let Kojima do whatever he wanted for however long he wanted if there was a guarantee that it made them money.

I see this kind of stuff on various projects all the time. Either the costs or resource commitment are underestimated or someone goes nuts and spends way more of the budget on something not essential. Then someone at the top, be it a client/investor/parent company starts getting itchy feet and starts bringing the hammer down on the team involved because they don't want to make a loss.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Det_no posted:

:shrug: I ended up playing it more. I finished MGS V in like 80 hours and I put down Survive after 110 or so. The base building was much better and practically what people wanted out of V, the story actually had a narrative arc and ending, sneaking around to find the hidden boxes with music tracks from past games and blueprints for stuff was cool and the extra abilities each class had were interesting. Multiplayer was pretty fun and it only failed because the game never had a big playerbase in the first place, like a self fulfilling prophecy.

If anything, Survive is underrated. It's big problem was that it had no campaign co-op and left its most radical gameplay changes for after the campaign, at which point the small playerbase doomed it.

ok well your taste sucks, noted for future reference i guess

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Survive is a very good game. When people complain about poking zombies through a fence with a spear they're basically telling you they're secretly Dean Takahashi or the Polygon Doom guy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

I really wanted to like Survive, but in my opinion it failed in two regards, both of them related to the postgame. One, while the campaign is fun enough, but after the ending there is nothing but endless tower defense missions and that gets old really fast. Two, the amount of weapons and gadgets you get is just laughable compared to MGS5. I seriously have no idea who took a look at that game, decided to reinforce the basebuilding aspect and take away 90% of the stuff you can build or interact with. There's what, four guns in the game? No weapon customization? No airstrikes, no fultoning, no weather gimmicks, no enemy AI to speak of... The postgame skills you unlock would be really fun if you could use them on something else than endless waves of slowly shambling zombies.

Again, I really liked the campaign even through its disappointing moments, but the postgame is just empty and going to that from the amazing sandbox that was MGSV just hurts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

K8.0 posted:

Survive is a very good game. When people complain about poking zombies through a fence with a spear they're basically telling you they're secretly Dean Takahashi or the Polygon Doom guy.

yeah man for sure your recommendation is the spice that's going to get a lot of people on board with it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

anilEhilated posted:

I really wanted to like Survive, but in my opinion it failed in two regards, both of them related to the postgame. One, while the campaign is fun enough, but after the ending there is nothing but endless tower defense missions and that gets old really fast. Two, the amount of weapons and gadgets you get is just laughable compared to MGS5. I seriously have no idea who took a look at that game, decided to reinforce the basebuilding aspect and take away 90% of the stuff you can build or interact with. There's what, four guns in the game? No weapon customization? No airstrikes, no fultoning, no weather gimmicks, no enemy AI to speak of... The postgame skills you unlock would be really fun if you could use them on something else than endless waves of slowly shambling zombies.

Again, I really liked the campaign even through its disappointing moments, but the postgame is just empty and going to that from the amazing sandbox that was MGSV just hurts.

I bought a physical disc for my Ps4 at a bargain bin price and it felt like a good enough investment. Its essentially a survival mod for Phantom Pain, the Fox Engine and its assets pretty much carry the whole thing and it falls apart pretty quickly when you get to the insane 20min/30min tower defense missions.

Never cared enough to see anything about the postgame or MP but it was interesting enough to play through.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i really need to finish off ace combat 7 one of these days. i love the thing but i just kind of dropped it around the last 3-4 missions and haven't gotten the urge to polish it off. it's basically everything what my stupid rear end wants from a "flight sim" game, light on the simulation part, heavy on the missiles blowing things up part

why would you drop story spoilers on someone who is playing this through the first time

like, even spoiler-tagged that's just not kosher

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is ace combat 7 part of an actual series, do the events of ace combats 1-6 matter to it at all

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

is ace combat 7 part of an actual series, do the events of ace combats 1-6 matter to it at all

I've finished missions 1-5 and there's mentions of previous wars but nothing that's mattered to me. The main story is the mechanic lady and yourself, callsign Trigger. Oh, and drones are bad for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

why would you drop story spoilers on someone who is playing this through the first time

like, even spoiler-tagged that's just not kosher
sorry but if it's any consolation it's because it winds up being a very minor spoiler in the big scheme of things and the reasons for why it came about are the real spoilers

Oxxidation posted:

in my experience having only played ace combat 7 and literally none of the others except for the one that showed up on a psx demo disc when i was ~10: the plots of ace combat 1-6 do not matter