Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

open a newspaper, note the subject of 90% of the articles on the front page, then consider what issues may be foremost in the election in november

like yeah the biden stuff is extremely not good, politically or personally, but it baffles me that people seem to think it's what the november election will turn on

but there's a whole thread full of people who will happily tell you about how trump is certain to win and how that is actually good

In November we’ll have roughly thirty percent unemployment, literal mass graves from covid, second (first?) wave covid plus flu, no sports, food shortages, and a likely emboldened militia movement.

If trump still wins with all that I don’t really much see the point of the union anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

One of the (many) things I do not understand about American journalists is why they put up with this poo poo and don't stick up for one another when a reporter is punished by a powerful public figure for telling the truth like this. Accepting this weakens them all.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Brain damage actually follows something called "The Flintstone Rule" so if someone's personality changes because of a brain injury then another similar brain injury will fix it. I wrote my thesis on this.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They tried pulling this poo poo at a briefing in Britain back in February and all the other political reporters just walked out.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Martian posted:

One of the (many) things I do not understand about American journalists is why they put up with this poo poo and don't stick up for one another when a reporter is punished by a powerful public figure for telling the truth like this. Accepting this weakens them all.

There was a display of unity once during the trump admin over something like this but it was line 1200 years ago and I can’t remember what it was.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

evilweasel posted:

open a newspaper, note the subject of 90% of the articles on the front page, then consider what issues may be foremost in the election in november

like yeah the biden stuff is extremely not good, politically or personally, but it baffles me that people seem to think it's what the november election will turn on

but there's a whole thread full of people who will happily tell you about how trump is certain to win and how that is actually good

There's a lot of people who are just fuckin pissed and feeling like there's absolutely no hope for anything, and they don't want the people who most recently had an opportunity to allow hope to exist, but chose to stamp it out, to be rewarded for that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

For the same reason you never drop a broken egg and end up with an intact one. Being a horrible person means your brain is broken and breaking it more isn't going to fix it.

more precisely, all the things that make you a decent person is your frontal lobe stifling your more animal instincts. if your frontal lobe goes, welp those aren’t stifled anymore. if the other parts go, well you forgot how to breathe or something else like that so it is sort of an academic exercise if you have become nicer or not

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Martian posted:

Solidarity is a foreign concept to white-collar Americans.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If any of you missed the town hall Jess had for this forum the other night, she's going to take questions while Twitch streaming a D&D fundraiser this evening, and she has Monday Q&As on Facebook at 7:30 PM EDT. She's really good at answering hard questions that virtually no other politician would answer, and frankly, the whole ethos of the campaign is that as good as she is, she's ultimately a politician now and deserves heavy scrutiny, so ask anything.

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1256605610562531329

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

I made a joke to someone yesterday that "it's weird to be happy that someone is wearing a mask when they walk into your business" and they agreed but apparently cops aren't up to that now.

I wish I had taken a picture, but about three weeks ago the local 7/11 pup up a hand written sign that said, "YOU CAN NOT ENTER WITHOUT A MASK" and then two weeks after that took down the photocopied sign next to it with a picture of a black man in a hoodie and face mask that read, "Absolutely no entry with your face covered in any way."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Solidarity is a foreign concept to white-collar Americans.

This is absurdly not true. The rich understand their class solidarity better than anybody

Those reporters and journalists are "freedom fighters" and "truth tellers" until they are not because their taxes will go up

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Journalists sometimes probably don’t stick up for other journalists because it’s one less competitor on the beat.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nichael posted:

If any of you missed the town hall Jess had for this forum the other night, she's going to take questions while Twitch streaming a D&D fundraiser this evening, and she has Monday Q&As on Facebook at 7:30 PM EDT. She's really good at answering hard questions that virtually no other politician would answer, and frankly, the whole ethos of the campaign is that as good as she is, she's ultimately a politician now and deserves heavy scrutiny, so ask anything.

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1256605610562531329

D&D and good progressive politics? I'm sold :allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

D&D and good progressive politics? I'm sold :allears:

We're also going to have microtransaction donation tiers. For $1500, you can straight up kill me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SocketWrench posted:

That girl is the same moron arguing gun laws with a group of Australian tourists and telling them their country is awful and she doesn't need to know anything about their leaders because she's American and we do what we want. She's as much of a living poo poo bag as the dickhead she's standing with

This response is priceless
https://twitter.com/JasonWeyandt/status/1256368552933720064

I'm sorry. The girl who shat her pants is tweeting about Alex Jones eating rear end?

I.
I just...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Holy poo poo I was so confused reading this wondering what the gently caress H. Jon Benjamin was doing

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jon Benjamin’s tweet is probably too clever by half. People generally know he’s awesome, though.

Considering his industry, though, most his friends probably have more than one Jewish friend :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1256241308701724680

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Martian posted:

Capitalism puts journalists in competition with each other for things like access, which directly effects their take home.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

In November we’ll have roughly thirty percent unemployment, literal mass graves from covid, second (first?) wave covid plus flu, no sports, food shortages, and a likely emboldened militia movement.

If trump still wins with all that I don’t really much see the point of the union anymore.

Trump will probably be secretly quite pleased to lose. He doesn't have to do a job he hates any more and can go back to golfing, grifting and pointless twitter fights. Plus he can attribute his loss to the evil Chinese stealing the election by deliberately releasing a bioweapon, which was the only way to stop him the greatest president ever, from winning. So unfair! etc etc.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

its only possible in the since that there no physic law that says its impossible. like on a long enough timeline bewteen now and proton halflife decay, it can happen >0 times.

No. The odds of a quintillion monkeys producing Hamlet over the lifetime of the universe is something like 10^275,000 to one against.

And the odds of sudden macroscopic entropy reversal are similarly stupid numbers. Like it's definitely possible for all the air in your bedroom to end up in the upper right corner, but the probability against that happening is a number that makes the proton half-life look puny.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Lot of bad news for the Democrat party

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/s...pagenumber%3D28

They may as well have taped a 'kick here' sign to their crotch. :negative:

I love how garbage the dems are that they are going to easily lose another election against the most hated man in the history of the world.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Oh god that footage where he hugs Hillary and doesn't let go loving sucks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FizFashizzle posted:

Do people realize that Biden is so incompetent and senile that there is no way he can even distantly handle this and will most likely lead to a full collapse of the federal government if not armed rebellion from the chud states if he wins

Like I would take Hillary at this point because at the least she is iron fisted enough to keep the Union together, running Biden will very likely accelerate our collapse

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 2, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Candace Owens got Twitter banned for basically inciting people to rise up in Michigan. If only the same standards applied to a slightly more prominent Twitter user.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Candace Owens got Twitter banned for basically inciting people to rise up in Michigan. If only the same standards applied to a slightly more prominent Twitter user.

the difference is they are probably white and she isnt.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Do people realize that Biden is so incompetent and senile that there is no way he can even distantly handle this and will most likely lead to a full collapse of the federal government if not armed rebellion from the chud states if he wins

Like I would take Hillary at this point because at the least she is iron fisted enough to keep the Union together at this point, running Biden will very likely accelerate our collapse

You talk like Biden is more incompetent than Trump which would be an impressive if not impossible feat.

Also I’d like to point out that as incompetent as Trump is, even im the middle of a global pandemic, our national government and civil society has not collapsed so please stfu with that poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

You talk like Biden is more incompetent than Trump which would be an impressive if not impossible feat.

Also I’d like to point out that as incompetent as Trump is, even im the middle of a global pandemic, our national government and civil society has not collapsed so please stfu with that poo poo.

also biden would have competent folks around him who would handle poo poo instead of just morons and grifters. covid isnt going away any time soon, but i feel safer with biden and folks at the helm than now.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Solaris 2.0 posted:

We are barely going into month 3 at this and armed protesters are drat near taking over statehouses, are you serious?

I'm not even pushing Bernie at this point, I'm simply saying that trading one dementia ridden idiot for another does nothing for our situation. If the dems realized this and switched out Biden (which they definitely can -- after all, they pulled strings and closed ranks around him to make him the presumptive nominee in the first place) for someone who actually has a working brain on their shoulders (again, even Hillary), that could actually handle things when food gets scarce and we are in a second wave and the economy hasn't bounced back and unemployment is 30%, I might actually vote for them. Because seriously, things are getting worse by the day and people are growing more and more dispirited and desperate and the dems are offering ABSOLUTELY loving NOTHING for them right now, not even stability.

Yes, this situation has broken me enough to start pushing for loving Hillary. I'll take general uncaring contempt over Syria at this point.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also biden would have competent folks around him who would handle poo poo instead of just morons and grifters. covid isnt going away any time soon, but i feel safer with biden and folks at the helm than now.

You're adorable in thinking the DNC is competent at this point.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I refuse to donate until I hear her unmitigated opinion on the nature of THAC0.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1256601113605705733

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Just cut to the chase and start the alien invasion, 2020.

Kale
May 14, 2010

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1256275437375946752

That's uhhhhh some unfortunate phrasing there.

Lindsay's Graham's signature legislative push during the Covid crisis has been to muse and bluster about who he can deny EI payments too and how many of them. It's been extremely noticeable and is incredibly easy to tie to him in the election. Whether that will be enough for South Carolina that love them some Republicans I don't know but it's there to use. Guys just a complete raging rear end in a top hat basically.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

don't mind me, just sitting here yearning for the gentle, competent guiding hand of larry summers

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I always laugh at how passive he is about people he accuses of committing treason. Surely he should have them executed, or at least prosecuted? But a few extra punctuation marks seem to suffice.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256628709496369152

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm not even pushing Bernie at this point, I'm simply saying that trading one dementia ridden idiot for another does nothing for our situation.

I do love the optimism from some people that think somehow having the man running the country be a confused,old rapist in a blue coat will be so much better than a confused old rapist in a red coat.

Now, if the dems actually wanted to win and end up running Hillary or Cuomo or Michelle Obama, they will win and the country will be run better, but gently caress if that will actually happen.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'll be glad to know that when the lives of everyone not making 6 figures gets worse it'll be because a competent larry summers chose to do that because "that's what they deserve."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I'll be glad to know that when the lives of everyone not making 6 figures gets worse it'll be because a competent larry summers chose to do that because "that's what they deserve."

Ah yes, HHS Secretary/head of the CDC/Surgeon General Larry Summers