Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NewJournal/status/1256344516606537731?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Songbearer posted:

I take umbrage with this

5 is a stern looking number with a soft side. You got the curve at the bottom which is the classic sign of a Friendly Number but then it terminates in a straight line at the top just as you're getting to know it. 5 will give you directions but it won't stop to chat. 5 calls its parents regularly but can't bring itself to say "Love you guys." Think Hank Hill and you've got 5.

8 is a Friendly Number. It's cheerful and round and you can't harm yourself with it. 2 also counts since it's a gentle swan.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bet she doesn’t stand up and clap

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Best comms in Europe but Westminster briefings are afaik unique not just in the EU but the home nations as well in not having signers for the deaf

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

what I've gathered from their recurring shouting matches is that one of them is unhappy about the other building a shed of some sort, and the other is unhappy about them looking in their garden (and possibly taking pictures?) and both of them would like to hit each other and/or get the police involved

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

Aye, agreed. Wild how rapidly it went after he died.

Also, Praxcast: Appreciate that Euro episode last week, but also for the new ep how much time does Jamie spend coming up with the incredible similies he drops in each episode?

As far as I know he gets them off the cuff because he never does any research :v: I have a sneaking suspicion that he was cheating during the Toby Young episode though!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Holy poo poo

:five:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Fuckin wee willy Johnson.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

what I've gathered from their recurring shouting matches is that one of them is unhappy about the other building a shed of some sort, and the other is unhappy about them looking in their garden (and possibly taking pictures?) and both of them would like to hit each other and/or get the police involved

sounds entertaining at least

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

XMNN posted:

The Balcony Wars are apparently hotting up in my friend's flat, here's the story she told me: she was having a phone call out on the balcony when the neighbour started playing loud music when she was talking, speakers right at her, turning off when she stopped talking, for like fifteen minutes or so. on eventually confronting this woman to ask if she had a problem the response was first a "are you talking to me?" and then a "of course I don't want to hear you talking for hours". on being asked why she did not just use her words to communicate this issue, the response was apparently, how can I talk to you when you've put this barrier between us, referring to the planter on the edge of the balcony. this country really needs to figure out a way of dealing with disagreements other than the usual methods of mild tutting and passive aggression

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've no idea if it's good parenting or bad but one of my neighbours has just shouted at her kid "If you keep that up the coronavirus will get you!".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hank Hilling this thread

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Angepain posted:

The Balcony Wars are apparently hotting up in my friend's flat, here's the story she told me: she was having a phone call out on the balcony when the neighbour started playing loud music when she was talking, speakers right at her, turning off when she stopped talking, for like fifteen minutes or so. on eventually confronting this woman to ask if she had a problem the response was first a "are you talking to me?" and then a "of course I don't want to hear you talking for hours". on being asked why she did not just use her words to communicate this issue, the response was apparently, how can I talk to you when you've put this barrier between us, referring to the planter on the edge of the balcony. this country really needs to figure out a way of dealing with disagreements other than the usual methods of mild tutting and passive aggression

But that would require growing up or accepting that our feelings exist and can't just be sublimated into rage and fear?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Angepain posted:

that's what the hedge trimmers are for

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

sebzilla posted:

It's a plan just like in Battlestar Galactica.

Meaning they had one goal and hosed it up and are now desperately winging it while fighting internally.

and that’s just the script writers

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fuckin wee willy Johnson.

:emptyquote:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1256590602277457921?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Technically the UK is 4 countries, but still, thats loving stupidly high.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Am I first to notice that David Icke is the Tiger King?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shogi posted:

That quest for ‘meaning’, personal or otherwise, is itself hopeful, and realistic hope is part of psychological health. Becoming comfortable with your self and finding a unity between your thoughts, values and actions requires hope.

Well you're not nearly grim enough for Pohjola.

Ain't no winning the fight against injustice or the indignities of life.

And I ain't winning the fight... against my disease, against myself being lovely, against the world being lovely...

But the thing is, even once you've accepted that, it turns out you might still find yourself alive, and accepting you're just one more sorry sack of poo poo among a species composed of nothing but doesn't mean you stop being a sorry sack of poo poo.

Turns out hope is just a cruel lie that sets you up to hate yourself and others for expecting better.

So, in the absence of hope, I decided to try to be the kind of person where I could look back on my actions, ask "could I have done better?" and answer "no".

I failed. Obviously. But turns out I found some contentment in the fact that I at least tried my best to not be lovely.

You can't fix the world. But you can try to be someone you like being.

Will you succeed?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

B-but Boris Johnson said we were just past the peak now! If we can't believe Boris Johnson, who can we believe?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SmallStonesTall/status/1256603917707874304?s=20

this article is good

apparently the official government position on people who are being forced to work in unsafe conditions is "we have some talking points on our website, use them to negotiate with your employer"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

this article is good

apparently the official government position on people who are being forced to work in unsafe conditions is "we have some talking points on our website, use them to negotiate with your employer"

As with all things, the answer is General Strike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

happyhippy posted:

The number of countries doesn't matter, the population of them does.

Italy and France each have broadly the same population as the UK, Spain has about 2/3 the population.

So we are ahead by like...about 2 and 2/3 in terms of per capita deaths.

One of the things that has really frustrated me throughout this crisis is the insistence on reporting absolute numbers like they're relevant when what's relevant is cases per capita.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/carolynharris24/status/1256582414153003009?s=09

COMPULSORY FLAG

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol she's a labour mp, wasnt expecting that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bonus points if you get arrested/killed for supporting islamic state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

B-but Boris Johnson said we were just past the peak now! If we can't believe Boris Johnson, who can we believe?

By all indications, we are past the peak. It's just that our downward slope is very shallow, and our peak was very high, so we're going to be seeing hundreds of deaths a day for a very long time.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

endlessmonotony posted:

Well you're not nearly grim enough for Pohjola.
You can't fix the world. But you can try to be someone you like being.

Will you succeed?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Without Pohjola there'd be no adventure and no black canvas for the stars; the grimness is integral to the beauty!

I'm with you on the cut and thrust of what you're saying - I don't think our views are that different really. At the risk of sounding like an even bigger wanker than I already do, Albert Camus is good on this subject. Absurdism says that even if you know that life is lovely and meaningless, it's better to live as though it isn't. If you're trying in earnest and reflecting on your actions, you're not failing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bloodly posted:

Without a way to properly challenge the various businesses that hold a grip on the offices of power(Power supplies, manufacturing, computing, industries, etc) would a 'revolution' aid much in itself? How do you deal with that aspect of the problem? The wealthy/powerful are so very enmeshed with each other that I'm not sure simply changing the leadership even outright to someone unconnected like the Green Party or some such would be enough without dealing with all the lobbies and such too.

All good revolutions have ideas for dealing with the wealthy and powerful, however enmeshed with each other they are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

International metrics are usually done by sovereign state, rather than provinces cosplaying countries, but even the UK doesn't call NI a country. Ireland is the country, Ulster is the province, and NI is a 'region' of the UK and also kinda Ireland, just so that everyone is a little bit pissed off.

Along with everything else the UK is bad at official designations so nobody wants to give anywhere a full official title like Cymric Autonomous Oblast.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

A new TV series called Upload is on Amazon Prime.

In it a computer programmer dies and has his mind uploaded to a virtual afterlife.

He discovers that is a tiered system which is built around Premium transactions and packages.

When he explains that this is all bullshit because it is just 1's and 0's he is told "this is capitalism." He vows to destroy the system and build a better one.

Only four episodes in, but it seems pretty good.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

this article is good

yeah the guidance has always been "work from home unless you can't 🤷‍♀️", they don't give a gently caress

the lockdown was never serious anyway so it's not really surprising, feels like it's more about the appearance of doing something. Plus with the bonus that a lot of people have been having social contact and getting infected (herd immunity LEVEL UP) and they've established a baseline for the :airquote: lockdown infection rates, so they can lift it and the non-lockdown rates might not even change much. Wow turns out we don't need a lockdown anymore because that kind of thing doesn't make a difference!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'm enjoying the ambivalence, people can choose whether they want to believe there's a pandemic on or not, individual choice isn't it :thumbsup:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I regret to inform you that you have been owned by the great puppet-master Carolyn Harris
https://twitter.com/carolynharris24/status/1256596483350151168

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Question IRL posted:

A new TV series called Upload is on Amazon Prime.

In it a computer programmer dies and has his mind uploaded to a virtual afterlife.

:lol: that he dies in a self-driving car crash :elonmusk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Songbearer posted:

5 is a stern looking number with a soft side. You got the curve at the bottom which is the classic sign of a Friendly Number but then it terminates in a straight line at the top just as you're getting to know it.

I'm sorry, I really must object. What kind of swivel-eyed looney assesses the characteristics of a number from the bottom up? Your analysis beyond this isn't even wrong, it's just that 5 initially appears standoffish, but once you get to know them you realize they're actually quite sweet, they just reserve that sweetness for their friends.

Which of course makes us wonder, is 5 like this by nature? Or did something happen that hardened 5's heart, made them put up some defenses against the cruel world?

Miftan posted:

As far as I know he gets them off the cuff because he never does any research :v: I have a sneaking suspicion that he was cheating during the Toby Young episode though!

loving insane that someone can just be funny. :thunkher: Other people get all the advantages.

XMNN posted:

Hah, my step-dad was building his shed today, but there was no drama of any sort :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Got they ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If the off-licence in town has closed for the duration, where's the best place to order some more unusual beers? I can get Delirium Tremens (the beer, not the beer consequence) off Amazon, but I'm on the lookout for better options than Jeff Bezos to keep my Belgian tripel stockpile up.