Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

John Lee posted:

God, gently caress 2FA.

I'm sure it's fine if you're, like, not poor, but I sometimes don't have cell service and until recently had a free phone that had to get replaced with a new number every so often, so I lost a couple accounts that demanded that I link them to my cell phone. Guess what, assholes? That means if I get a new phone number, I don't have access to my loving data, and you insisted I make a change that I knew would make me more likely to get locked out.

Let me guess: Google accounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

goferchan posted:

A "factor" is a way of confirming your identity. Think of a password as being the factor of "something you know" and access to your smartphone or a standalone device like those old blizzard authenticators the factor of "something you have". Even if your email address and EGS account have two different passwords, that doesn't make it two separate factors. Everyday example, if you want to withdraw cash from an ATM, you need to scan your debit card ("have") and you need to enter your PIN ("know"). You're right, though, that there's a balance of security and convenience there -- for accounts you're not terribly concerned about, proper password management etc. is probably going to be a good enough security measure. Realistically though, the vast majority of people DO reuse simple passwords across a ton of websites, they don't keep an eye to see if they've had accounts exposed during a data breach, etc. They lose their poo poo, they get unhappy, and companies have to spend manpower on helping them recover their account. So at the end of the day there's an incentive for sites to require some form of 2FA.

edit: Here is an example of why sending a text message for 2FA isn't perfect, if you're curious. Long story short, a hacking group bribed and/or tricked telecom employees into getting victims numbers ported to their own SIM cards and used that to bypass 2FA and steal like $2 million in bitcoin

Getting a code through email is exactly the same as getting a code through SMS. You have an email address, and you have a phone number. But you don't know the code EGS expects without them. If you have a strong password on your email as well as a 2FA app like Authy attached to it, then it is much more secure than a phone number when someone can just clone your SIM and steal codes.

In any case, you can activate a 2FA app like authy with EGS. As long as you keep that account secure, that follows you to any device you have it installed on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this is why we need self-sovereign identity

QUICKLY, FRIENDS, TO THE BLOCKCHAIN

*runs around with hands pointed in the air making swooshing noises like freakazoid*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John Lee posted:

Hey, I HAVE a cell phone now, even if a kinda lovely one. But I don't have a 'gaming rig,' and I can't play most AAA games!

Hey, opportunity was there for the taking! :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One of this week's free games is Amnesia Dark Descent, that game is a decade old and wasn't AAA at release. There are probably a ton of people in precarious financial situations who still have a laptop that could run it and might want a free video game while the world is on lockdown.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Fuzz posted:

Dunno what the fuss is, I just added both games just fine without 2FA on.

They're not enforcing 2FA until next week, I think, to give time to people to put it on

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

baka kaba posted:

If someone gets your email password they can get your epic one too, because you probably used that email when you signed up, and they just need to do the "I forgot my password" recovery thing (they can also go through your emails and see whatever else you're signed up to, and steal whatever they're interested in, which is why your email password is probably the most important one you have)

Actual 2FA means they can't do that, they need the other thing as well as your password, and usually they don't have access to the other thing. But if the second factor is just sending you an email... well you're protected if they only have your epic password, if they have access to your email then you're as screwed as if you didn't have 2FA enabled at all

lmao the mental gymnastics on this one. "Well if they know your passwords you might as well not have it at all!!!" like yeah, no poo poo. Keeping in mind that the context here is that someone is... attempting to hijack your account to get a free game added to it?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

lmao the mental gymnastics on this one. "Well if they know your passwords you might as well not have it at all!!!" like yeah, no poo poo. Keeping in mind that the context here is that someone is... attempting to hijack your account to get a free game added to it?

Not really, the context is that someone is hijacking your account to sell it for real money. There's marketplaces where you can buy and sell Epic accounts. Obviously if you've just got the free exclusive shovelware titles it's not worth anything, but if there's a bunch of AAA titles and exclusive Fortnite skins or whatever on your account then it's definitely worth something and thus valuable for hackers.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

You may want to take this as a learning opportunity about why email based 2FA is vulnerable rather than an opportunity to channel Reddit.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

PJOmega posted:

You may want to take this as a learning opportunity about why email based 2FA is vulnerable rather than an opportunity to channel Reddit.

Which could be done by reading the thread, where this was being discussed instead of making up a point no one was talking about.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

u wat m8

if someone gets into your email account, they potentially have access to all your passwords - 2FA is meant to be another layer of security on top of that, so it doesn't matter if they get them. But if your 2FA protection on those passwords is "send me an email and I'll confirm it's me" then that's basically worthless in that situation

Someone asked why emails "aren't real 2FA" and that's why. It's better than nothing but it still gives people a vulnerable way into your stuff, avoiding that is the whole point of 2FA

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The whole point of two-factor authentication is that they're two different factors.

"Access to your email" is, without actual 2FA on it, still 'something you know'. Part of the impetus behind adopting real 2FA is that passwords are inherently trash and there is no good way to make them not trash; rotation doesn't work, complexity is a lost cause, and (stupid) people share them. 2FA at least allows for a hardware token (e.g. your phone) to provide authentication.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat, must be a fuckton of new free games, look at all these posts!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skwirl posted:

One of this week's free games is Amnesia Dark Descent, that game is a decade old and wasn't AAA at release. There are probably a ton of people in precarious financial situations who still have a laptop that could run it and might want a free video game while the world is on lockdown.

Amnesia was p. sweet at release. Also, it's taken me this long to realize I bought it after watching a friend play it and still have 0.0 hours on Steam.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm using a program called WinAuth to handle 2FA things on Windows programs, and it works with Epic's site.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hauki posted:

Amnesia was p. sweet at release. Also, it's taken me this long to realize I bought it after watching a friend play it and still have 0.0 hours on Steam.

AAA isn't a value judgement on a game good or bad, it just refers to production. Every single Assassin's Creed game is a triple A game even though the games themselves vary wildly in quality.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you somehow haven't gotten them the dozens of times they've been free before, Assassin's Creed 2 and Rayman Legends are free on Uplay. Though so is Child of Light which I don't think has been free that often.
https://free.ubisoft.com/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I still have a really old android phone that I'm holding on to because I will need it if I ever decided to play Star Wars: The Old Republic again

I'm still using the physical key I got with the fancy collector box at launch in 2011

Every now and then I ponder what'd happen if it finally died on me, since their phone support is down due to COVID

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I have never heard of this but it seems to be something like Marble Madness? Anyway, Polyball is free at Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/368180/Polyball

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new set of Twitch Prime games are up for those who have an Amazon Prime sub rolling.

Urban Trial Playground
The Little Acre
Avicii Invector
Pankapu
Fractured Minds
Snake Pass

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I have never heard of this but it seems to be something like Marble Madness? Anyway, Polyball is free at Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/368180/Polyball

Apparently not anymore.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently not anymore.

Oh whoops, I misread it ending on May 1st for starting on May 1st, my bad

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Deus Ex Go is free to download this weekend on apple and android devices

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

dogstile posted:

Breaking news, man somehow wants to play epics AAA free games on his gaming rig but is too poor to buy a cell phone.

But yeah, snark aside, just make a gmail account

And then grab a Google Voice number. Same phone number forever.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Sick, I've really been enjoying the other two GO games. I always wanted them too so this is a nice treat.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

The new set of Twitch Prime games are up for those who have an Amazon Prime sub rolling.

Urban Trial Playground
The Little Acre
Avicii Invector
Pankapu
Fractured Minds
Snake Pass

Never heard of any of these, anyone have any recommendations?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

timp posted:

I don’t know the others but snake pass is a really fun platformer I guess you’d call it. Have to control a snake in very physics-y puzzles. Infuriating at times but very satisfying when you get it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Snake Pass was also already put up on the twitch prime free games before. Maybe they are running out of games people have heard of.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

timp posted:

The Little Acre is a very cute, very short adventure game. You could reasonably watch a longplay of it in like 2-3 hours, and that'd pretty much be the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Pankapu is a very neat action-platformer in the vein of, say, Dust or Wonder Boy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't Aviicii the guy that made that one dude take a pill in Ibiza? Would not trust that game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

timp posted:

Gifted Little Acre to someone in a previous steam sale, and they thought it was cute. Actually posted a review, but it's a defunct version of the steam thread, so I won't dig it up right now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't Aviicii the guy that made that one dude take a pill in Ibiza? Would not trust that game.

The game itself look really inspired by AudioSurf. Maybe you need to consume massive quantities of alcohol to enjoy it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah I think he was trying make avicii think he was cool though.

Also avicii is dead

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I love how everyone is butthurt about 2FA on EGS but 90% of you assholes use SteamGuard and have no issue with it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's exactly what we were talking about, thanks for contributing to the discussion.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

I love how everyone is butthurt about 2FA on EGS but 90% of you assholes use SteamGuard and have no issue with it.

how’s the weather on your planet?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
why is a thread about free videogames the most hostile thread like drat go play some free videogames goons

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's not in the OP, but

VideoGames posted:

New Thread Rule:

If a game is free on EGS you can post it absolutely, you can discuss the game, you can enjoy or dislike the game.

You can no longer talk about the pros and cons of EGS. Either make a thread about EGS and discuss it there or try to find the one that used to exist and post there.

No more derails about EGS in this thread.
Thank you kindly all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

why is a thread about free videogames the most hostile thread like drat go play some free videogames goons

I'm amazed that it's somehow more toxic than the magic the gathering thread.