Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Of course it’s random. These studies line up with studies on healing and “positive thinking”. Believing in a deity or energy or optimism doesn’t impact healing one way or the other. Which is kinda lame since people tell you relentlessly when you’re sick to stay positive and think good thoughts and they’re praying for you and it’d be cool if it helped.

lol it's all so dumb. i had to look it up because i thought i remembered reading that people who think positively tend to have better health outcomes, and they do, but that's because it takes into account your positivity about things like your health, anxiety, etc. just like, who was the loving methodologist who saw the proposal for that study and said "yup! seems totally good!"? i don't even have a loving bachelor's and even i can see the obvious gaping holes in that study. hmm, i wonder if people with positive outlooks on their health are people who are healthier, and if people with less anxiety are less likely to get sick?

i really can't stand the whole cult of positivity that's wormed it's way into culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I read the last 10 pages and didn't see it post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgOxRM8GKJ0

Chinese state media mocking Trump.

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

BUSH 2112 posted:

i don't even have a loving bachelor's and even i can see the obvious gaping holes in that study.

me neither I have a 1 bedroom and even I can see the problems

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Organic Lube User posted:

It may be the worst way to honor them, but it's the best way to meet them.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Today my wife comes up to me with clippers and says "Let me give you a haircut!"

I reluctantly agree.

seconds later "OOPS!"

Luckily I'm never leaving the house again.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Danny LaFever posted:

Today my wife comes up to me with clippers and says "Let me give you a haircut!"

I reluctantly agree.

seconds later "OOPS!"

way to go, van gogh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

it’s going to get so bad in less populated places soon I wonder what the excuse will be then

aren't less populated places, by definition, going to have a lower rate of transmission

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

aren't less populated places, by definition, going to have a lower rate of transmission

they all have to go to the same places to buy anything though

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1256421369472057350?s=20
I assume this was posted last night but just for the day crew

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Danny LaFever posted:

I reluctantly agree.

seconds later "OOPS!"

I lost all the plastic guard thingers for my clippers so my haircuts are the dark souls of fro chops now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BUSH 2112 posted:

lol it's all so dumb. i had to look it up because i thought i remembered reading that people who think positively tend to have better health outcomes, and they do, but that's because it takes into account your positivity about things like your health, anxiety, etc. just like, who was the loving methodologist who saw the proposal for that study and said "yup! seems totally good!"? i don't even have a loving bachelor's and even i can see the obvious gaping holes in that study. hmm, i wonder if people with positive outlooks on their health are people who are healthier, and if people with less anxiety are less likely to get sick?

i really can't stand the whole cult of positivity that's wormed it's way into culture.

might be related to cortisol also

kater
Nov 16, 2010

galenanorth posted:

In Apple Safari on an old tablet, I entered "what" into the search bar and it autocompleted "what is coronavirus". I entered "when", which I had meant to type first, and it autocompleted "When is Mother's Day?", a lot of people having the vague sense that it's around the corner because it's May and the commercials are talking about it. It's on May 10 this year

thank you for this

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nevada protest today

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckMuth/status/1256609921694437381
https://mobile.twitter.com/SusanStJames3/status/1256602105453871104

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

woah nelly

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

they all have to go to the same places to buy anything though
Yeah, you'd expect the issue to be how many people any given person comes into proximity with. Which fair enough, big cities have a head start, but it's probably not a simple linear relationship with population density.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

jesus christ :rip:

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Could there be bias in studies that only survey the living?

We polled 30 corpses on their attitudes during illness. All 30 participants refused to answer our poll, indicating poor manners and rude behavior may have been a factor in their demise.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the USA is literally the worst country in the world

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

smarxist posted:

it rules how reactionaries already have their narrative and it's basically air tight; despite photos of mass graves being dug, they're just saying that liberal governments are running up the death tallies and that the corona deaths are actually way way lower. i can't think of any effective way to counter it with information, so it's just going to have to be an endless process of reopening "safely" and then mass deaths

Chuds are self-selecting to surf the river Styx. Nature heals

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Officials in Stillwater, Okla., on Friday walked back a requirement that people wear face masks inside reopened stores and restaurants, citing threats of violence and physical abuse directed at employees

We are all going to die

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1256601113605705733

who wants to go outside for some baskin robbins

Time to make bigger, meaner bees.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

euphronius posted:

This argument can legitimately be made; they do less with more resources than anyone else.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is like 1000 higher than worldometer?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

Yes

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

euphronius posted:

I would rather live somewhere else tbh

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

Sup stuck in America bro

kater
Nov 16, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

This is like 1000 higher than worldometer?

who count is also 10k behind worldo, so w/e.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like... Peru and Brasil? Like 17k in Chile? And nothing else? India somehow has only half China's cases despite putting in the absolute bare minimum effort instead of what China did, lock down the entire country and aggressive contact tracing.

Nah man, totally wrong.

India's response makes the USA look like poo poo. I would link to the article but I feel like nobody clicks hyperlinks anymore so I'll just take some screenshots and quotes.

quote:

Day by day, life under coronavirus lockdown in India took away something else, usually something good. And nearly six weeks into it, much of this country is still frozen.

In many cities like New Delhi, practically nothing is moving on the roads. People stay indoors, as instructed, emerging only to collect the basic necessities. One friend who gets his food delivered told me he hasn’t left his house for a month.

All the airlines are grounded. Schools and offices are closed. The only businesses that I’ve seen operating are food shops, pharmacies and banks. The banks have lines running out the door and down the sidewalk where red circles have been spray-painted for people to stand in, six feet apart, like little islands.

quote:

Whenever we turned off the highway, every village, no matter how small, was barricaded — some with oil drums, others with rope. Behind the barricades stood villagers carrying sticks to keep strangers out and wearing frayed bandannas over their faces, the virus vigilantes.

quote:

India seems to be doing better than many richer countries in containing the virus, at least so far. With reported infections relatively low, around 35,000, the government is trying to loosen the national tourniquet and reopen some industries, such as agriculture and select manufacturing.

But many Indians don’t want to take the tourniquet off, even if it is stanching the economy’s flow.

A good chunk of the population has decided that the best way to protect themselves is not only to stick to the lockdown rules, but to go above and beyond them, like the volunteer virus squads who sealed off entire villages. Even people in my Delhi neighborhood have become lockdown enthusiasts.

A few weeks ago when I biked with my two sons to the neighborhood milk depot — perfectly permissible under lockdown rules — someone leaned out a window and boomed: “Go home!”

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Prediction: Trump begins holding rallies again later this month, but only in solid red states, not swing states, to avoid killing off his key voters

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

euphronius posted:

might be related to cortisol also

it's gotta be something like this, which is why it doesn't work to be positive unless you make it into a practice to be calm and centered even when you aren't sick. it helps a ton if you don't have a bunch of free-floating cortisol poisoning you and exacerbating your pain and panic responses so i guess today is a good day to start meditating. just trying to convince yourself that you are positive about something upsetting doesn't super work in my experience and often makes it worse lol

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

gonna move to a remote island somewhere

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

where are you getting 2900 dead for may 1st?

I see 1800 on most sites

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

According to the article it was from 4AM EST April 30th to 4AM EST May 1st.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

I cannot exaggerate enough how much better "shithole" countries like India and Iraq are doing in comparison to the USA.

I have friends in both Baghdad and Dehli. They report that everybody is staying inside, everybody is afraid of the virus, they are banding together as a community because they know suffering is possible.

The psychological poison in countries like Sweden and the USA is born from some bizarre first-world hubris and it will be our undoing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Less populated places have fewer resources. Hospitals are small and far away, and since America devolves into Wal-Mart Fiefdoms when you start to get into rural areas, there's centers of transmission that everyone goes to.

I don't see a reason why people getting sick in rural areas won't be pretty drat deadly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

COVID-420 posted:

I cannot exaggerate enough how much better "shithole" countries like India and Iraq are doing in comparison to the USA.

I have friends in both Baghdad and Dehli. They report that everybody is staying inside, everybody is afraid of the virus, they are banding together as a community because they know suffering is possible.

The psychological poison in countries like Sweden and the USA is born from some bizarre first-world hubris and it will be our undoing.

well, the poors undoing at least

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

magiccarpet posted:

Officials in Stillwater, Okla., on Friday walked back a requirement that people wear face masks inside reopened stores and restaurants, citing threats of violence and physical abuse directed at employees

We are all going to die

a friend's fiancee works in a grocery store in OK and now it's fun to wonder if she is going to get shot as well as infected by assholes

hopefully neither if my powerful psychic walls have anything to say about it

(just kidding, my spiritual discipline cannot affect the material world as of yet, i just want to feel like i'm helping)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

COVID-420 posted:

the USA is at where we are at also because trump hosed up in an election year and now the whole media militia gov apparatus is engaged in protecting trump

I guess the fact that that is even a thing that can happen I guess it more proof that this is a poo poo hole

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also the USA is probably the most ideologically corrupt place on earth

the ideology here is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Google Butt posted:

well, the poors undoing at least

poor people in India literally wall off their villages and threaten outsiders with sharpened sticks because they don't want corona

poor people in america threaten (also poor) grocery store workers with violence because they are wearing a mask