Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Spain is fun. I did the recommended tutorial my first play through and eventually just got annoyed and ignored all the pointers. Lots of opportunity for expansion.

Learned something pretty dumb just now. Couldn’t for the life of me figure out where the “Imperial Administration” law was. Then I scrolled down. I think it’s the Charlemagne dlc I just newly got that switched all the laws around.

Someone upthread mentioned it - I love the game, but man is it complex and opaque. I did a lot of independent googling to figure stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Started another round of the Game of Thrones mod as Joffrey. Yikes, things do not go well for Joffrey in an alternate timeline where no one is there to check Robb or Stannis when they roll in with 10,000 dudes

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trying CKII again, and holy God am I overwhelmed by the number of buttons and menus. The tutorial popups keep saying "use the Diplomacy menu" and some such. Gee, thanks. Hope CKIII is somewhat clearer.

Also. If I'm looking at myself in the top-left pane, then I click one of my vassals, is there any way to get back to viewing myself in that pane without clicking on my face to close the pane, then clicking my face again to reopen it?

Honestly, just don't bother with the tutorial really. It was never the most stable thing in the first place, and I don't think any of the code has been touched at all in multiple expansions, so it's very outdated and buggy. I'd suggest either the classic 1066 Ireland start, or picking a vassal inside a larger blob, like the HRE or France. Then just poke around and experiment while asking for help, tips, and clarifications in here.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'd watch an episode or two of the start of somebody like Quill's less modded CK2 serieses to get an idea about game mechanics before hopping into either a vassal or tutorial island (1066 Ireland) to explore further, but yeah ignore the official tutorial. Watching a full LP is a waste, but in my opinion half an hour to an hour of spectation will save six of unfun fumbling.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Merchant Prince had cancer, but it was cool, since he was doing okay with it.
And then he had the "Agh, it's all too much" event and got Stressed. No big deal - that's what being in the Hermetics is all about, I'll just brew a Potion of Euda- oh, he's dead. Well, that happened fast.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think primo or hereditary successions where you pretty much pick your heir are the best because theyre the easiest to manage inherited claims

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

DeathChicken posted:

Started another round of the Game of Thrones mod as Joffrey. Yikes, things do not go well for Joffrey in an alternate timeline where no one is there to check Robb or Stannis when they roll in with 10,000 dudes

I've tried GoT mod recently and I didn't like a lot of things about it. What I did like was plotting about taking a position in a council. It probably doesn't work well with the fact that the ruler can change councilors every day, but it works with AI. Your intrigue-focused characters aren't just good at finding out cheaters but can become regents. I suspect when the regent is in power he's able to snatch the crown but I never learned it cause my Littlefinger has died from stress.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Soo I have two shipyards in my realm (one in my own demesne), and I can't raise any galleys. What gives?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

Soo I have two shipyards in my realm (one in my own demesne), and I can't raise any galleys. What gives?

what year is it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

A couple of years in the viking age start - but if techs the barrier, then I should just be unable to build them, right?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So is carousing just a trap? I’ve had a couple kings get drunk, fall down, and die - on a 10% roll. This last time started quite the succession crisis.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Carousing has let me turn some important vassals into friends a few times, and been at least a bit helpful with relations besides.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

yeah, fair enough - I have benefitted from it, but it sure has a hard core downside.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SMH if you don't ghost ride your horse around the fens and bogs blitzed on meddylglyn and dualwielding blades, recognizing that the hour of every man's doom is set already and none can escape it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tias posted:

A couple of years in the viking age start - but if techs the barrier, then I should just be unable to build them, right?

I don't want to make you sound stupid but are you in the navy tab of your military? if they're your shipyards it'd be your naval levy or whatever it says

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tias posted:

If you've just recently built them, your ships need to reinforce. This can take a few years.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

double check that you are on the viking age start - if you start at the very earliest bookmark from the charlemagne dlc then you have to wait for a viking age event to fire

otherwise yeah, you may just need to wait for the boats to get built

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How can I get an immortal ruler to abdicate or something? He was really useful at first but got kinda chewed up in some duels lately and now I have a grandson with genius, ambitious and diligent so I think it's time to replace him.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Get him depressed than have him kill himself.

Heck I think if you're old enough you can always kill yourself.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Any reccomendations for a good low-effort chill start in the early 1200's-ish? I'm trying to use the game to generate some alt-hist scenarios for eu4 but I'm getting tired of the bread and butter of the game with managing my council, raising heirs etc as it has gotten very repetetive almost 1800 hrs in. I would rather not use observe mode since it actually obscures a lot of information i use but i would also like to rarely have to click to keep my realm chugging along.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Get him depressed than have him kill himself.

Heck I think if you're old enough you can always kill yourself.

Nah, gotta be depressed, or incapable - which should show up if you keep ageing long enough. Immortal characters have a different suicide tree that requires 100+ years of age and depression.

The Reapers due introduces a bunch of events that can drive your regent to suicide, otherwise you have to proc depressed. Keep in mind most forms of suicide invoke -50 opinion malus of which your heir inherits -25. The best thing is to get depressed, then take war focus and challenge a dude to a duel you can then opt to lose on purpose.

E: lol, I love the CKII wiki. It offers other good ways to die, like:

quote:

With Way of Life:

With the Carousing focus, invite known cannibals to your parties, or at least potential cannibals.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Any reccomendations for a good low-effort chill start in the early 1200's-ish? I'm trying to use the game to generate some alt-hist scenarios for eu4 but I'm getting tired of the bread and butter of the game with managing my council, raising heirs etc as it has gotten very repetetive almost 1800 hrs in. I would rather not use observe mode since it actually obscures a lot of information i use but i would also like to rarely have to click to keep my realm chugging along.

I don't think the year you convert makes a real difference in EUIV, so a few times I've just set the date as late as you can and then generated a random CK2 world (with mostly historic settings) to immediately convert to EU. Better then the default EU randomizer and no time for the AI to mess up the pretty generated borders.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have 300 hours played in CK2 but it's been years since I installed it. Thanks to impulse purchases, I have all the expansions except Holy Fury and Jade Dragon. What are the fun starts these days? I see there's this Monarch's Journey highlighting certain characters - any recommendations there?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You may want fun and easy Monarch Journey starts that will give you some easy to achieve goals. Harald of Norway is easy to do - maybe you won't conquer England on your first try but it's like first 5 minutes of the campaign, you can restart quickly.

Another one is guy in the middle of the Byzantine Empire. Imperial gameplay was reworked some time ago. He starts easy but then it's very likely that Byzantines will fail and you'll have plenty of opportunities to go from there.

Both of those characters have very straightforward MJ goals so you may quickly get a hat or two.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is it possible to play earlier monarchs journeys? I can only see Doux whatshisface in the menu right now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You can click the right arrow above the portrait to select earlier journeys.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, I just encountered the woes of gavelkind first-hand. I was doing the recommended Mumu start, and I had lots of kids because babies die young, amirite? (No. Not in civ they do, not at anywhere near historical rates.) I die, firstborn gets Mumu, secondborn gets a province *and is no longer part of my dynasty*, which really stings.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary on map modes in CK3
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-25-map-features-and-map-modes

Paper map looks cute, but maybe it could be more detailed

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
does anyone else think the normal map mode looks kinda ugly?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, I just encountered the woes of gavelkind first-hand. I was doing the recommended Mumu start, and I had lots of kids because babies die young, amirite? (No. Not in civ they do, not at anywhere near historical rates.) I die, firstborn gets Mumu, secondborn gets a province *and is no longer part of my dynasty*, which really stings.

He's still part of your dynasty so you get to bask a little in secondhand prestige from him and his descendants and you still get points for them having power.
But on the other hand points don't matter and if he should happen to end up dead or dispossessed.....

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

double check that you are on the viking age start - if you start at the very earliest bookmark from the charlemagne dlc then you have to wait for a viking age event to fire

otherwise yeah, you may just need to wait for the boats to get built

My favourite play is to start in 769 and drop my spymaster into Constantinople to research tech, then unlock level 1 shipbuilding. I've been up and raiding the English coast as early as the late 770's on my luckier runs.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the preferred way to handle having a beneficiary? I always picked a female relative and made the beneficiary receive any land, just to keep the Pope happy. But the Pope usually low key hated me anyway, so maybe I should have just kept it for myself? Several times my beneficiary died young or childless, so those lands reverted to me anyway though.

Generally speaking by the time I'm winning crusades without cheesing siege mechanics I'm getting pretty bored with the game, so I'll usually pick a character to inherit and then switch to them. This has the fun side effect of the AI taking over your carefully constructed empire and burning it to ash within a few generations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary on map modes in CK3
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-25-map-features-and-map-modes

Paper map looks cute, but maybe it could be more detailed

lookin nice

my secret dream for CK3 that will never come true is that they get rid of ugly 3D models for armies and replace them with cool tokens / icons / figurines. Or at least get rid of 3D models for councillors out on jobs.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CK3 purports to be more moddable, so that might be something a mod could do.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I know I'm looking at a work-in-progress, but I'm left cold by the interface, art direction, and skill trees.

It's like some unholy mash-up of The Sims + Europa Universalis done by some ex-soviet country instead of a sequel to CK2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly all the Paradox games seem like they could be much more easily and readibly represented by entirely flat graphics, but they desperately need to justify their big fancy overpowered graphics engines. I guess they're embarrassed that while most games have their hardware demands come from graphics and physics engines, CK2's performance issues come from maintaining lists of thousands of people that the AI has to constantly browse through.

Full 3D scenes for rulers is a fancy embellishment for giving players another thing to obsess about for their own appearance, but I feel like pushing towards photorealism is a mistake, since the main use of character appearances isn't the player preening over their current character, it's the ability to quickly and easily identify random NPCs at a glance, and when you're not fully zoomed in on these people, you can't even see their eyeballs. Maybe it looks better when you're playing the game and they're animated and wiggling around, but it feels like they need to be more stylized. Even if it can be "fixed" by mods, it feels like a mistake of creative direction.

Also one of the things that has bugged me about their UI graphics is that there's low-contrast grey text on dark backgrounds, so if the zoomed-out map screen totally flips the white balance (and has some low-contrast between the white ocean and the white HRE), that'll do weird things to your eyeballs if you're playing the game in the dark. I do otherwise like the look of that flat map though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
personally i think i'd recognize NPCs by sight better if they were 3d rather than 2d, and we can use things like full body clothing and height to offset lack of detail in face. you could even include posture and gesture!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I like the move to 3D portraits (I'm still not sure they will actually be animated) but agreed that they should err towards being a bit stylised / cartoony (Sims style?) rather than realistic to make them more recognisable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just hope they don't end up like Oblivion characters. By now, the CK2 portraits look pretty good with all the face packs, in my opinion. Jank generated potato people will be a step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I still kind of have a soft spot for CK1's rather period-appropriate portraits in profile. Not saying they should come back but I do think I'd prefer something stylised over the Straight Outta Poser deal we have in the dev diaries right now.