Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schwarzwald posted:

They haven't been massacred, they've gone native.

Ha. Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

They haven't been massacred, they've gone native.

I would go even more specific than that: nothing is native to the planet. What emerges from the alien drug/disease is an entirely new form of subjectivity. It's less this common fantasy of abandoning Western society to adopt some holistically fulfilling indigenous lifestyle, and way more like how Wikus in District 9 is transformed into a homeless person.

In any case, it's definitely not an allegory for Vietnam unless you have no idea what Vietnam was (outside of being a jungle where American troops rode helicopters and died unhappy).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In any case, it's definitely not an allegory for Vietnam unless you have no idea what Vietnam was (outside of being a jungle where American troops rode helicopters and died unhappy).

Was it an Imperialist military adventure that started off with complete confidence in the triumph of technological warfare ("technowar") and corporate-style management theory that ended in retreat after unsustainable casualties and the complete failure of both technowar and the management ethos that spawned it ?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's still an Aliens movie so you can't go making them sympathetic, but I don't think the allegory is supposed to cut so far as to say "the Vietnamese were a hive of savage monsters."

A lot of Vietnam movies does say that though. In Platoon they're a coked up faceless horde that mutilates soldiers. In Full Metal Jacket a vietnamese sniper tortures Cowboy and the vietnamese character with the most lines in the movie is a prostitute. In Apocalypse Now they're mindless members of a cult dedicated to a white man.

Arguably Hearts and Minds is one of the few Vietnam war movies that acknowledges that the vietnamese were humans.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mllaneza posted:

Was it an Imperialist military adventure that started off with complete confidence in the triumph of technological warfare ("technowar") and corporate-style management theory that ended in retreat after unsustainable casualties and the complete failure of both technowar and the management ethos that spawned it ?

Yeah, that’s what I wrote: American troops died unhappy in the jungle.

While the film is evocative of many things, it’s not an allegory. Allegory requires way more specificity, and it’s in those specifics that the notion breaks down.

Like, just for starters: Vietnam was not an American colony.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Like, just for starters: Vietnam was not an American colony.

Not for lack of trying.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is David^3 still happening? Haven't seen any news on that in a while.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

A lot of Vietnam movies does say that though. In Platoon they're a coked up faceless horde that mutilates soldiers. In Full Metal Jacket a vietnamese sniper tortures Cowboy and the vietnamese character with the most lines in the movie is a prostitute. In Apocalypse Now they're mindless members of a cult dedicated to a white man.

Arguably Hearts and Minds is one of the few Vietnam war movies that acknowledges that the vietnamese were humans.

Well technically the people under Kurtz were not ethnically Vietnamese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montagnard_(Vietnam)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ersatz posted:

Is David^3 still happening? Haven't seen any news on that in a while.

Probably not, since Covenant didn’t do amazing business.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If Aliens isn’t an allegory for the Vietnam War (and lmao that we’re even seriously entertaining this conversation), then somebody forgot to tell James Cameron, who has been quoted repeatedly on the topic.

There’s also this video; I try not to link this guy’s channel when I can avoid it, but it’s got a lot of the relevant quotes in one place if people don’t want to read the article.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well technically the people under Kurtz were not ethnically Vietnamese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montagnard_(Vietnam)

Also I seem to remember scenes of vietnamese being normal people and getting massacred by psycho Americans

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alhazred posted:

Not for lack of trying.

Ok so, under that interpretation, Aliens is a fantasy where America (or France?) controlled Vietnam from the beginning, Vienamese people don't exist, nobody is aware of the Soviet Union....

Suffice it to say that the forced allegorical read is far weaker than a more direct interpretation: Aliens is about a dystopian future, centuries after Vietnam, where American troops are used to put down a labor revolt in space. Ripley strives to prevent future conflicts through liberal reform.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

If Aliens isn’t an allegory for the Vietnam War (and lmao that we’re even seriously entertaining this conversation), then somebody forgot to tell James Cameron, who has been quoted repeatedly on the topic.

There’s also this video; I try not to link this guy’s channel when I can avoid it, but it’s got a lot of the relevant quotes in one place if people don’t want to read the article.

Those quotes are all just Cameron talking about how he used motifs from Vietnam to ground the film in a set of experiences that the audience could recognise and therefore relate to, not that the film itself is supposed to be an allegory for the Vietnam war.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Vietnam elements he brings up just reinforce how it’s an allegory for the Vietnam war. Like it’s barely even subtext, it’s practically text and as mentioned, it’s the coldest take on ‘Aliens’ that’s been around since the movie came out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xenomrph posted:

The Vietnam elements he brings up just reinforce how it’s an allegory for the Vietnam war. Like it’s barely even subtext, it’s practically text and as mentioned, it’s the coldest take on ‘Aliens’ that’s been around since the movie came out.

I think you’re confused about what an allegory is

Like, what is Bishop in this allegory. What represents Ngo Dinh Diem? What are the facehuggers? The CIA? Etc

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Like, what is Bishop in this allegory. What represents Ngo Dinh Diem? What are the facehuggers? The CIA? Etc

I think you'll find that Star Trek 2009 is an allegory for Apple's dominance of the smartphone industry

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DeimosRising posted:

Not every element in an allegory needs to tie 1:1 to something else

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I've watched a couple of this guy's videos, but not too familiar overall. What are your issues with his stuff?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I've watched a couple of this guy's videos, but not too familiar overall. What are your issues with his stuff?

He plagiarizes the poo poo out of other people’s work and doesn’t bother citing it; he’s been called out on it repeatedly and has “apologized” for it, but never revises his videos to include citations. Like he’s been caught reading verbatim off of Wiki pages.

Reading off of wiki pages has its place (similar to podcasts or audiobooks), but don’t claim you wrote the material.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Not every element in an allegory needs to tie 1:1 to something else

The really loving important central poo poo needs to be 1:1.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SHISHKABOB posted:

The really loving important central poo poo needs to be 1:1.

Yeah and it is - a force of carefree American soldiers (the space marines) are deployed for what they think is an obviously one-sided engagement (“rescue some colonist daughters from their virginity”) against a technologically inferior enemy force (the Aliens), and once they get in the enemy force’s home turf (the Alien hive) they get wrecked due to poor planning, lack of quality leadership, and overconfidence against an enemy force they can’t/won’t acknowledge as a threat (“what do you mean they cut the power? They’re animals!”).

That element, that right there, is a really obvious 1:1 allegory for the Vietnam War. This is reinforced by the visual language (the Marines armor styling and color palette, literal M16 rifles on the racks in the armory, the Dropship being styled after a Huey helicopter) and dialogue choices (“Arcturian poontang”). That massive block of the movie, from the moment the Marines wake up until the dropship crash, and arguably until the siege at Ops, is totally a riff on the Vietnam War.

Does more happen in the movie that doesn’t directly correlate? Sure, but if you don’t think the movie has really obvious plot/design parallels to the Vietnam War then I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. :)

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 3, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Animal Farm is an allegory for the Soviet union. 1984 is not, but contains references to it.

Aliens is more like 1984 than Animal Farm in this comparison.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all this Aliens talk just convinces me more and more that it's the third best alien movie

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Ok so, under that interpretation, Aliens is a fantasy where America (or France?) controlled Vietnam from the beginning, Vienamese people don't exist, nobody is aware of the Soviet Union....

Suffice it to say that the forced allegorical read is far weaker than a more direct interpretation: Aliens is about a dystopian future, centuries after Vietnam, where American troops are used to put down a labor revolt in space. Ripley strives to prevent future conflicts through liberal reform.

Can you elaborate on this?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

all this Aliens talk just convinces me more and more that it's the third best alien movie

You can’t count ‘Alien’ twice.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: nm

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 3, 2020

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
N/M misunderstood

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A4R8 posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Aliens is a variation on a typical zombie narrative - a centrist version of Romero's Land Of The Dead. The story is basically that workers in a corporate facility are pushed to hastily obtain a valuable resource, which leads to preventable accident that causes them to become sick. As in 28 Days later, the workers are 'infected with rage' and turn against their employers. (You can see some relevance today with people being pushed back to work prematurely under Covid-19.)

Cameron's thesis is that companies like Weyland-Yutani can prevent these sorts of incidents - and therefore profit more in the long term - if they adopt practices to ensure a baseline happiness with their workers. Just look at the necessity of writing off this facility, with its substantial price tag. Better treatment of the workers now will prevent having to (ex)terminate them in the future.

But Weyland-Yutani is already 'a good company'. Their android is programmed for political correctness. They had safety policies in place, which Burke violated. They could have done more, in gradual a sort of way (more caution around sites, taking care not to hire criminals like Burke, etc.), but no radical change is necessary.

There's never any question that the revolting workers needed to done away with, and Ripley heads back to Earth so that she can be reinstated as a high-ranking crewman on a Weyland-Yutani freighter.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MrMojok posted:

I've spent the afternoon watching quite a few of these. The technical aspects of the videos are quite good, using shots from films and panes from comics. But I found several where he was reading straight from Alien novels. His videos about the Earth War were cool, but the voiceover is entirely from THIS, written by Steve Perry.

Is that Steve Perry related to SD Perry?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leavemywife posted:

Is that Steve Perry related to SD Perry?

SD Perry is his daughter.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Allegory most definitely does not have to be 1-1 to an entire event. It just has to pull from a specific part of the event, at the very least, to paint a picture of. Whatever part is game as long as it is at least recognizable.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Xenomrph posted:

SD Perry is his daughter.

Steve’s Daughter Perry

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, earlier I made a lovely post about the guy's videos, but then I watched his outro on one of them (I had been skipping to the next video when it got to that part) and he does at least say he's recounting this as written in the comics/books, so he's not actually implying that he wrote all this.

I'm actually enjoying these, xeno. The Earth War saga was always one of my favorite things and listening to his voiceover while seeing the comics and his other video inserts is pretty cool. I don't understand how he's able to get around copywrite laws or whatever, but I am digging them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aliens is a variation on a typical zombie narrative - a centrist version of Romero's Land Of The Dead. The story is basically that workers in a corporate facility are pushed to hastily obtain a valuable resource, which leads to preventable accident that causes them to become sick. As in 28 Days later, the workers are 'infected with rage' and turn against their employers. (You can see some relevance today with people being pushed back to work prematurely under Covid-19.)

Cameron's thesis is that companies like Weyland-Yutani can prevent these sorts of incidents - and therefore profit more in the long term - if they adopt practices to ensure a baseline happiness with their workers. Just look at the necessity of writing off this facility, with its substantial price tag. Better treatment of the workers now will prevent having to (ex)terminate them in the future.

But Weyland-Yutani is already 'a good company'. Their android is programmed for political correctness. They had safety policies in place, which Burke violated. They could have done more, in gradual a sort of way (more caution around sites, taking care not to hire criminals like Burke, etc.), but no radical change is necessary.

There's never any question that the revolting workers needed to done away with, and Ripley heads back to Earth so that she can be reinstated as a high-ranking crewman on a Weyland-Yutani freighter.

Is Alien 3 the radical prison reform/salvation through Jesus break from this centrist narrative? I’m not trying to be facetious, genuinely curious to read your take.

It never occurred to me how Alien 3 involves Ripley losing her adoptive daughter, having sex, and then getting pregnant. Man this series is hosed up in a fascinating way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

By this logic, every corporation on Earth is a "good company," because they all have fig-leaf policies designed to make any revelation of malfeasance easy to pin on a single bad actor. That doesn't mean they actually follow these policies; in fact, this is the entire basis of malicious compliance as an anti-corporate tactic, as generally, following those fig-leaf procedures to the letter isn't supposed to be meaningfully possible (meaning that when you do follow them, you end up gumming up the works).

In fact, this very tension is what makes Bishop interesting. All these procedures and moral standards are just fig leaves that the human bosses throw out the window whenever convenient; Bishop, however, was programmed to hold to them inflexibly rather than seeing them as conveniences, and is resultingly one of the most ethical characters in the movie. I'm fairly sure Ripley even has a line that points at this.

Every time you bring up Aliens, you claim it portrays Burke as a single malicious actor acting independently of Weyland-Yutani, but I'm really not entirely sure that holds up, because given how W-Y as a company is portrayed (Ripley's hearing, for instance), it seems to be a company made up almost entirely of Burkes, who would have all done the exact same thing if given opportunity to do so.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Battuta posted:

Is Alien 3 the radical prison reform/salvation through Jesus break from this centrist narrative? I’m not trying to be facetious, genuinely curious to read your take.

Alien 3 is absolutely a deliberate break from Cameron's logic. The common leftist interpretation that I've encountered, which , is that Ripley wakes up from the ideological dream at the end of Aliens (i.e. a nice job, husband, two kids, no trauma, a normal life...). Although the plot is that it's a simple accidental detour, the narrative is that Ripley actually does return to Earth and sees that it is not at all what she expected. She has gained this new alien perspective.

(Alien 4 went somewhat too literal with that: literal alien blood, a literal return to Earth, and Ripley outright saying "I'm a stranger here myself".)

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

By this logic, every corporation on Earth is a "good company," because they all have fig-leaf policies designed to make any revelation of malfeasance easy to pin on a single bad actor. That doesn't mean they actually follow these policies; in fact, this is the entire basis of malicious compliance as an anti-corporate tactic, as generally, following those fig-leaf procedures to the letter isn't supposed to be meaningfully possible (meaning that when you do follow them, you end up gumming up the works).

In fact, this very tension is what makes Bishop interesting. All these procedures and moral standards are just fig leaves that the human bosses throw out the window whenever convenient; Bishop, however, was programmed to hold to them inflexibly rather than seeing them as conveniences, and is resultingly one of the most ethical characters in the movie. I'm fairly sure Ripley even has a line that points at this.

Every time you bring up Aliens, you claim it portrays Burke as a single malicious actor acting independently of Weyland-Yutani, but I'm really not entirely sure that holds up, because given how W-Y as a company is portrayed (Ripley's hearing, for instance), it seems to be a company made up almost entirely of Burkes, who would have all done the exact same thing if given opportunity to do so.

The point is not that Ripley or Bishop are bad people, but simply to note the ideological limitation of the film. Where does Bishop’s good behaviour reach its limit?

What I mean is that Bishop very well be programmed for humanitarianism, and this may very well make him a better person than Burke. But that still puts Bishop directly at odds with the workers. If W-Y is indeed a company made up entirely of bad apples, as you say, then why has Bishop done nothing against them? Why does he pose no threat? Again, simply because he is there to serve the corporation, and the corporation exists purely to amass profit. The malicious Ash models were ‘glitchy’ and therefore less profitable.

But no company is entirely made up of Burkes. Probably most of them are very nice people, because the problem is not individual people being greedy.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 3, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alien 3 is absolutely a deliberate break from Cameron's logic. The common leftist interpretation that I've encountered, which , is that Ripley wakes up from the ideological dream at the end of Aliens (i.e. a nice job, husband, two kids, no trauma, a normal life...).

I just realized that the ideal husband in both this and Cameron's T2 is a robot that can not/does not gently caress.

Huh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The point is not that Ripley or Bishop are bad people, but simply to note the ideological limitation of the film. Where does Bishop’s good behaviour reach its limit?

What I mean is that Bishop very well be programmed for humanitarianism, and this may very well make him a better person than Burke. But that still puts Bishop directly at odds with the workers. If W-Y is indeed a company made up entirely of bad apples, as you say, then why has Bishop done nothing against them? Why does he pose no threat? Again, simply because he is there to serve the corporation, and the corporation exists purely to amass profit. The malicious Ash models were ‘glitchy’ and therefore less profitable.

But no company is entirely made up of Burkes. Probably most of them are very nice people, because the problem is not individual people being greedy.

Firstly: Bishop poses no threat to his masters because, even if he is programmed to hold inflexibly to a "best-case-scenario" form of W-Y corporate policy, he is still programmed to hold inflexibly to W-Y corporate policy. His opposition to his masters is, essentially, a consequence of their own hypocritical cognitive dissonance rather than him somehow developing class consciousness.

Secondly, this may be mildly controversial because Burke is such a famously slimy and creepy character by the end, but... honestly, he's one hundred percent pleasant towards Ripley and co, up until the moment that their deaths become more profitable than their survival. It's also noteworthy that at no point is he ever actually shown to be individually greedy; he's simply attempting to curry favor with the corporation he works for by creating more profit for them. He's not an individually bad person who the film places all the blame on, and looking at him with the dichotomy between "nice" and "mean" you propose the movie follows leads to strange results; instead, he's an example of how the perverse incentives of capitalism corrupt people and lead to unethical behavior in the pursuit of profit and advancement. Every company, in fact, is entirely made up of Burkes, because being a Burke and being willing to prioritize your masters' profit over your own ethics is an absolute requirement to succeed in the corporate world. If you're not a Burke, you get fired or ousted and a Burke replaces you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There's a lot in this particular episode that parallels what we are all going through now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZAJAV29us

e: and this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOduG8hgTf8

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

SMG is correct that Burke was acting unilaterally, but you’re right - the reason Burke acted unilaterally is because if he hadn’t, someone else would have.

Also for what it’s worth, most of the people at Ripley’s interrogation were government representatives - the only WY person present is Burke, actually.
The movie doesn’t make this clear at all, but the script and other ancillary materials do.