Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Question: Do I have to play FF7 to enjoy FF7R more? or, do I only have to get away with playing the first disc and then can play FF7R?

I think you're idea of playing through the first disc is pretty good, it's nice to see the same game but with all the improvements. I do think nostalgia plays a big role in the Remake's enjoyment though, hearing the music again and see characters/areas we remember from the PS1 days. That being said, I feel like FF7R is enjoyable enough on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never played FF7 before but I got the remake so we'll see.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm about to play FF7 on steam with the "ReMako" mod so it doesn't look so goddamn ugly (I tried playing on the PS2 back in the day and played FFX instead once I hit the train graveyard. I keep bouncing off it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Play the Remake. Then play FFVII

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Streets of Rage 4 is so good and if you’re reading this and like stripped down but DEEP skill based action games + games that push and reward you to be aggressive (keeps bringing bloodborne to mind) at all times then buy it asap. It’s extremely well made and fair. Tough, but fair with enough difficulty/handicap help if it gets too bad. I’m on the last level and it’s the most satisfying skill/difficulty game progression I’ve seen in a while. These are good action game devs, they know exactly what world they’re operating in. Even if you get stuck trying to beat a level it’s no big deal. The stages look cool and varied, the music is seriously top tier, the action never gets dull or samey. It’s honestly quite impressive what they’ve managed to do bringing the beat ‘em up genre and Streets of Rage into 2020 without losing the retro charm and gameplay but most importantly not trying to turn it into something NEW and shiny just to be forgotten in a month. It’s the same core game given proper respect and brought into modern gaming as a modern product.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Okay, as someone who's never read a comic book in their life and has maybe seen one of the Tobey Maguire films once, the Spider-Man game is pretty friggin cool

It's definitely in my top 5 this gen, along with Witcher 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2, EDF 5 and Yakuza 6.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thundercracker posted:

On the other hand, this idea is not good imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

I think you're idea of playing through the first disc is pretty good, it's nice to see the same game but with all the improvements. I do think nostalgia plays a big role in the Remake's enjoyment though, hearing the music again and see characters/areas we remember from the PS1 days. That being said, I feel like FF7R is enjoyable enough on its own.

I'd honestly say do the Midgar stretch of FFVII at the very least. There's a lot of the new content that really wants to poke at fans already knowing what's coming, and it doesn't just seem to be for nostalgia purposes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is so good and if you’re reading this and like stripped down but DEEP skill based action games + games that push and reward you to be aggressive (keeps bringing bloodborne to mind) at all times then buy it asap. It’s extremely well made and fair. Tough, but fair with enough difficulty/handicap help if it gets too bad. I’m on the last level and it’s the most satisfying skill/difficulty game progression I’ve seen in a while. These are good action game devs, they know exactly what world they’re operating in. Even if you get stuck trying to beat a level it’s no big deal. The stages look cool and varied, the music is seriously top tier, the action never gets dull or samey. It’s honestly quite impressive what they’ve managed to do bringing the beat ‘em up genre and Streets of Rage into 2020 without losing the retro charm and gameplay but most importantly not trying to turn it into something NEW and shiny just to be forgotten in a month. It’s the same core game given proper respect and brought into modern gaming as a modern product.

I played about half a hour on xbox game pass but the art style alone is really on point and well done. I thought it'd be cheap flash style at first but it's extremely pretty. I'll buy it one day on sale for ps4, it's worth having in your collection if you appreciate the beat em ups of old.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF7 Remake should be considered a sequel to FF7, and that might get vastly more true as things go. The original can be beat pretty quick and will enhance Remake so much I'd say it's borderline mandatory

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ineffiable posted:

I played about half a hour on xbox game pass but the art style alone is really on point and well done. I thought it'd be cheap flash style at first but it's extremely pretty. I'll buy it one day on sale for ps4, it's worth having in your collection if you appreciate the beat em ups of old.

It’s very well done yeah. Looks beautiful and the animation is stylish and exciting without making it too hard for the player to see what the enemies are doing.

I missed beat ‘em ups!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was skeptical of the new artstyle at first but it works really well here. All the exaggerated hitstop animations really sell the impact of the combat.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Thundercracker posted:

I don’t know how I feel about this advice. Maybe wait thirty years for all the remake parts come out on ps4, then come out on pc, then wait for a 13 year old that is smarter than all of us combined to remix all the parts together into a single game with a complete plot that unfolds without massive amounts of faff.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

fit em all up in there posted:

Has anyone here tried out The 25th Ward ?

Have you played the first game (The Silver Case)? If you enjoyed the story of the first game, this is a continuation of that.

Storywise, I enjoyed 25th Ward (particularly my wifey Kuroyanagi), but keep in mind that the UI/controls are a little different from the first game. I believe 25th Ward was originally a mobile game, so that would be why. The "puzzles" are also way more irritating, so I would recommend having a walkthrough handy for those parts.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion but out of all the Soulsborne games, I think I am liking Dark Souls 3 the least. I thought Dark Souls 2 SOTFS wasn't that bad. But Dark Souls 3 feels like it is trying to be Bloodborne, while not actually doing the nice stuff that Bloodborne does like the rally health mechanic.

I just can never seem to get a read on the enemies, since sometimes they will do one hit and other times they will just go wild with their combos with very little openings.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion. I share it but only because I've only played DS3 and BB, but most of the time people will say BB or DS2 as their favourites, from what I remember.

I liked it alright, and maybe I'd find it better on a second playthrough years removed, but I hate the whole "just kidding I have two health bars" thing and DS3 does that a lot at the end

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
DS3 is probably my least favorite of the soulsborne games but it's still better than 99% of other games and I'm happily playing through it again right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sixthtone/status/1255742404474224640?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No fuckin’ way

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kojima is a prophet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Question: Do I have to play FF7 to enjoy FF7R more? or, do I only have to get away with playing the first disc and then can play FF7R?

You can start with Remake and then play 7OG

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:worship:kojima:worship:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

It's a huge testament to Yoji Shinkawa that he can ground a sci-fi post-apocalyptic game with incredibly practical and functional design work. All the gear and equipment in Death Stranding makes perfect sense for the environment. GOTY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol the porter in that video did a thumbs up... Death Stranding down to the detail

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remind me, if I purchase dlc on a main account all the other secondary accounts can use it right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

do i really need a reason to post the elden ring trailer one more time? :blastu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wwSxl0atc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How about some drat Elden Ring gameplay? That's what I want to see. Even if it's like 2 minutes worth I just want to see what it looks like in action.

I'm just gonna bite my tongue on all of this heinous Dark Souls 3 slander. We have probably argued about it enough itt already lol.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lol $100 says this is a stunt to bilk investor money and that the boxes are empty and that contraption does nothing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is he wearing a motorcycle helmet to just walk around lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just gonna bite my tongue on all of this heinous Dark Souls 3 slander. We have probably argued about it enough itt already lol.

I won't. I love Dark Souls 3. My favorite of the trilogy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Same. By a pretty wide margin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, Oregon state of emergency got extended to July 6 so I might be replaying Dark Souls 3 some time soon.

So far I've been pretty successful at not surrendering all this free time to R6 Siege. It's my Siege sabbatical. Been splitting my time between Prey and Starcraft 2...as I am now a fresh inductee to the PC master race.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

veni veni veni posted:

Why is he wearing a motorcycle helmet to just walk around lol

If he fell forward it would be bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah, imagine this but with 50kg strapped to your back

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Kojima horror game is gonna be hilarious 5 months post release.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

What if Kojima is an Extinction Entity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God the mini games in Final Fantasy are so bad.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Finished the first two Uncharted games and enjoying them so far, though I agree that the second is a lot better than the first. Starting the third one now but out of curiosity, does the series ever break out of the soldier enemies all game, then vaguely-supernatural monster enemies in the final area loop?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Finished the first two Uncharted games and enjoying them so far, though I agree that the second is a lot better than the first. Starting the third one now but out of curiosity, does the series ever break out of the soldier enemies all game, then vaguely-supernatural monster enemies in the final area loop?

Yes, but not until the fourth one.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Vikar Jerome posted:

Kojima horror game is gonna be hilarious 5 months post release.

Kojima game 2022: Every American dies from dehydration from jacking off too much.

Me: Why I never would.... Sorry my lips are so chapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

God the mini games in Final Fantasy are so bad.

They're so great. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgRcecrVPY&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfCKnXfE6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y26DR3rIJZg&t=456s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMpcJNnfDtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIYzKCi-bC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDtI1jlX2wA&t=1348s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-jF0UxzBE&t=100s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFhbX9PQgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmU_LFMxv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3nZ1-D4_4