Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

What do you think is a good reason to cancel elections

Unwillingness to consider vote by mail or internet. Not to mention Biden didn't want to cancel them until Bernie gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Falstaff posted:

I think I said this in the primary thread, but the Dems kinda gave up the game when during his very first year in office Obama killed funding for Acorn as a gesture of ~*~bipartisanship~*~. Outside of a couple months of blaming Breitbart, everyone on the Dem side just sort of forgot about it and moved on.

Yeah the Democrats obviously see voter enfranchisement like sexual assault; it's a tactical tool to use against political rivals, not a core belief or purpose. If black people started voting Republican, Democrats would be passing voter ID laws the next day.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

New York, a Democratic stronghold with a Democratic governor, just completely suspended their primary. They're hardly better about voter disenfranchisement.

Would you perhaps be so bold as to say that the dems are 'just as bad' as the majestic donald? Maybe even a little worse, amirite?

I feel like I'm getting mixed signals vis-a-vis the wetness of water though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I can't believe the Democrats cancelled all these primaries for no reason whatsoever. Such a strange thing to do.

I'm sure this argument can't come back to bite us if Republicans continue to cancel general elections.

(Yes, obviously when Kemp cancelled the state court election he had claimed to have justification to do so, which of course I'm sure other Republican governors and SoS can make up as well.)

Edit: to be clear I'm not being hyperbolic, Republicans are already cancelling elections:

quote:

Georgia Supreme Court Justice Keith Blackwell’s six-year term expires at the end of this year, and the state is supposed to hold an election in May to choose his replacement.

Then something bizarre happened. And one of the central players in this narrative is the Republican governor who is widely viewed as an enemy by the voting rights community, due to credible allegations that he engaged in voter suppression that tilted the state’s 2018 gubernatorial race in his favor.

In late February, just a few days before the deadline for candidates to replace Blackwell to file to run in the May election, Blackwell sent a letter to Republican Gov. Brian Kemp, announcing that he intends to resign from the state Supreme Court effective November 18 — a few weeks before his term was scheduled to expire on December 31. (The May election is intended to choose a new justice who will take office after Blackwell’s term expires.)

Then, on March 1, Kemp’s office informed the state’s Republican secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, that the governor intends to appoint someone to replace Blackwell — that appointment would presumably take effect on November 18, when Blackwell steps down.

In response, Raffensperger, the state’s top elections officer, decided to cancel the May election. Raffensperger’s lawyers claim that the governor’s appointments power kicked in as soon as the governor accepted Blackwell’s resignation — although it is not at all clear why the governor could appoint someone to serve beyond the remainder of Blackwell’s term.

If the May election does not happen, the result could be chaotic, as it’s far from clear who, if anyone, would occupy Blackwell’s seat after the departing justice’s term expires on December 31.

As a constitutional matter, Raffensperger’s decision to cancel the election is highly dubious. The Georgia Constitution provides that “all Justices of the Supreme Court and the Judges of the Court of Appeals shall be elected on a nonpartisan basis for a term of six years.” Though the governor may appoint people to the state Supreme Court when a vacancy arises, such an appointee typically “shall serve for the unexpired term” of the person they were appointed to replace.

So, while Kemp almost certainly can appoint someone to replace Blackwell, that replacement would serve from November 18 to December 31 of this year — and that’s it. The May election is intended to fill the seat beginning on January 1 of next year.

There’s also a more basic reason why Raffensperger’s decision seems to be at odds with the state constitution. Yes, the governor has the power to fill vacancies on the state Supreme Court, but Blackwell’s seat is not vacant. Blackwell still occupies that seat. He is currently performing the duties of a justice on the court, and he intends to do so until November 18.

(https://www.vox.com/2020/3/16/21178993/georgia-republicans-cancel-election-brian-kemp-john-barrow)

So good thing that thanks to Biden, Republicans and Democrats agree that cancelling elections can sometimes be ok. And the party shifts rightward and rightward.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 2, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the Dems don't want people to conclude that they're the same as the GOP then maybe they shouldn't keep enabling them and waxing poetic about how necessary the continued success of the noble Republican party is?

Like, it's abundantly clear that the Dem establishment doesn't actually see anything fundamentally wrong with the GOP, they're just pissy because the Republicans don't wanna be their friends.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

It's probably best to just believe these people when they tell you explicitly who they are

My brain is scrambling trying to make sense of this world where this guy becomes the candidate for the ostensibly progressive political party.

:shepface:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember when Warren said candidates are responsible for the behavior of their supporters? But yet those voices that called for Bernie to take responsibility for what his supporters tweets won't be calling for Biden to publicly take responsibility for the death threats his supporters make.

Snake emojis are much worse than death threats.

God, this election cycle just strips bare how loving worthless the whole Democratic party and media apparatus are.

tgnt.mgmt
Jan 8, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

If the Dems don't want people to conclude that they're the same as the GOP then maybe they shouldn't keep enabling them and waxing poetic about how necessary the continued success of the noble Republican party is?

Like, it's abundantly clear that the Dem establishment doesn't actually see anything fundamentally wrong with the GOP, they're just pissy because the Republicans don't wanna be their friends.

Dems that hold any kind of party influence are a bunch of former high school presidents that read too much harry potter and truly take the "when they go low, we go high" sentiment to heart. They're technocrat NIMBYs with a guilt complex that cynically negotiate the needs of the left with the GOP. Ultimately, libs end up viewing the left as annoying stakeholders that they cater to when bargaining with right wingers that ironically sincerely care about the needs of the right wing base.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG
so on one hand people are upset that Biden "sent people to their deaths", i.e. to vote, and on the other people are upset that the New York primary was cancelled, presumably to avoid sending people to their deaths

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

NY has a vote by mail setup, IIRC.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tgnt.mgmt posted:

Dems that hold any kind of party influence are a bunch of former high school presidents that read too much harry potter and truly take the "when they go low, we go high" sentiment to heart. They're technocrat NIMBYs with a guilt complex that cynically negotiate the needs of the left with the GOP. Ultimately, libs end up viewing the left as annoying stakeholders that they cater to when bargaining with right wingers that ironically sincerely care about the needs of the right wing base.

Of course this is all true, but where it really veers off into absolute nonsense is when Dem fanboys try to use the fact that the GOP is extremely and unacceptably bad to scold people into uncritically supporting the Dem establishment, who very clearly don't share this belief. Like, how does that make even a lick of sense? It should be extremely clear that going to some rando voter and trying to convince them that they're not only morally obliged to oppose the GOP with all their might but the only acceptable way of doing this is to vote for someone who wants to collaborate with them isn't going to work but I guess that's all they have.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

nivdes posted:

so on one hand people are upset that Biden "sent people to their deaths", i.e. to vote, and on the other people are upset that the New York primary was cancelled, presumably to avoid sending people to their deaths

They only cancelled the primary, none of the other elections also on the ballot, which was already set up to be vote by mail.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nivdes posted:

Which smoothly ignores that the people mad about both were arguing for either postponing or moving to vote by mail the entire time.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Which smoothly ignores that the people mad about both were arguing for either postponing or moving to vote by mail the entire time.

SCOTUS didn't allow the vote-by-mail deadline to be extended in Wisconsin, so the only way for people who hadn't already mailed in their ballots was to vote in person

again, it seems that the actual outrage is that people couldn't capitalize on this to suppress older (i.e. Biden) voters

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think a state being unwilling to run an election 100% by mail with a very short time frame to create a system for doing so is defensible, but of course, giving them that benefit of the doubt also requires that they start, like, now-ish, setting up that infrastructure so they don’t have to cancel anything in the future, because this will happen again. Very possibly in six months.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nivdes posted:

the NY primary has not been cancelled

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Epic High Five posted:

the NY primary has not been cancelled

The presidential primary was cancelled, which in the context of this thread is pretty much "the primary"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Unoriginal Name posted:

What do you think is a good reason to cancel elections

Why oh why on earth would you ever be okay with an entirely cancelled election?

nivdes posted:

Hi, I'm here, I'm the #1 most angry person about Biden sending people to their deaths. NY did not cancel their entire primary - just the Presidential Election Primary as you will no doubt be told before I finish this post. They waited until Bernie suspended his campaign to try everything they absolutely could do remove just Bernie and then decided they would just remove that entire section of the ballot instead.

This drives down actual progressive voter turnout and was very clearly a last liberal gently caress you to the Sanders campaign's idea that they could ever influence any policy.

Delay the primaries, put in vote by mail, but cancelling entire votes is voter suppression and don't facetiously pretend otherwise.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 2, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nivdes posted:

The presidential primary was cancelled, which in the context of this thread is pretty much "the primary"

But it isn't since people are still going to vote by mail. There was absolutely no reason to remove Sanders from the ballot, except to ensure that the left has even less standing at the convention.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

nivdes posted:

I am glad to hear people can't get COVID if they're only voting on state and local elections.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nivdes posted:

the primary is going forward as planned beforehand, all they did was remove one name from the ballot for purposes of depressing downballot vote among progressives

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nivdes posted:

SCOTUS didn't allow the vote-by-mail deadline to be extended in Wisconsin, so the only way for people who hadn't already mailed in their ballots was to vote in person

again, it seems that the actual outrage is that people couldn't capitalize on this to suppress older (i.e. Biden) voters

Oh ok. That's nice. I guess anything is true if you just don't listen to the people who are upset and what they say they want and instead just kinda make it up.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh ok. That's nice. I guess anything is true if you just don't listen to the people who are upset and what they say they want and instead just kinda make it up.

Shere posted:

You know, even if we set aside Reade (and we shouldn't, because he definitely did something to her), Joe Biden and his campaign literally lied to people about pandemic voting and I'll never forgive that piece of poo poo or the poo poo-eating liberals he surrounds himself with.

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1239402956388270082?s=19

Any amount of death was acceptable to them to lock in IL and FL. How many people did I overhear on March 17th 2020 asking each other if it was safe to vote/if they should bother risking voting? Enough to know for certain it wasn't at all democratic.

And before anyone tries to say it: of course the Biden campaign doesn't control elections! But for some reason not a single one of them were calling for any delays in spite of Democrats at large excoriating Trump for his lack of response out of the other sides of their mouths. Instead we have them on CNN lying about how safe the CDC said it was to vote.

By all accounts no one selected this man, he wasn't anyone's first choice, but also we had to rush to end the primary and golly it sure seems like it was much easier to cancel or postpone elections than we thought when we have a bunch of motivated lawmakers looking for ways to get that pesky Bernie Sanders from getting any delegates.

Talk about how Biden measures up against the lowest bar in the world all you want, he's a loving ghoul like the rest and just because Trump's worse I've already seen first hand that he will be allowed to get away with literally anything and I refuse to enable that.

Do not even attempt to claim my outrage is manufactured when myself, my wife, my family, my older co-workers all had to deal with the reality that their right to vote might not be as important as staying alive because a bunch of ghouls played blind eye to something that was advantageous to them.

Not a single talking head Democrat was calling for votes to be delayed until they had a viable GOP punching bag in Wisconsin. In fact many of them decried Ohio delaying their vote as "suppression" and gently caress every single one of them

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 2, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

nivdes posted:

So "wanting people to be able to vote and thinking that voting by mail is a perfectly fine alternative" is less likely than "people cheering on the deaths of older voters so Biden can lose or something"?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

Jesus Christ, this is the most disingenuous post in the entire thread.

Telling people to line up and vote in Wisconsin caused a covid-19 spike. People will die because the campaign told them to go out and vote. Obviously.

New York didn't cancel its primary elections, just the presidential part. The polls will still be open. If what you are saying was based on having actually looked up even one aspect of it before slapping down your post, you wouldn't have wasted our time with something so fundamentally wrong.

tgnt.mgmt
Jan 8, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Of course this is all true, but where it really veers off into absolute nonsense is when Dem fanboys try to use the fact that the GOP is extremely and unacceptably bad to scold people into uncritically supporting the Dem establishment, who very clearly don't share this belief. Like, how does that make even a lick of sense? It should be extremely clear that going to some rando voter and trying to convince them that they're not only morally obliged to oppose the GOP with all their might but the only acceptable way of doing this is to vote for someone who wants to collaborate with them isn't going to work but I guess that's all they have.

It's worked before, right? LOL just kidding it has never actually worked. Closest example I can think of is Clinton, but a big part of his appeal is that he was truly purple at a time where people thought that was a good thing. Now that we've seen what happens with Third Way dems get.... their way.... the only tactic left (shaming) is becoming less effective.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I won't be gaslit on the Biden campaign playing the actual loving pied piper leading people to death at the polls:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article241539451.html

quote:

Two poll workers who spent Florida’s primary day at precincts in the city of Hollywood have tested positive for coronavirus, the Broward County Supervisor of Elections said Thursday.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/03/30/duval-county-poll-worker-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A poll worker at a Mandarin precinct during the March 17 primary election has been diagnosed with coronavirus, according to the Duval County Supervisor of Elections.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politi...-burke-pritzker

quote:

A 17th Ward election judge died from COVID-19 just 15 days after he worked a South Side polling place on Election Day.

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1239402956388270082

For some reason the Republican Governor of Ohio managed to delay his March 17th primary, but Dem trifecta Illinois was a-okay with democracy being in tatters because we had to lock in that Biden vote. You expect as much from Florida but the Biden campaign actively encouraging it as if nothing was wrong on March 17th, 2020 is something I'll never forget.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 2, 2020

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nivdes posted:

are you under the assumption the primary can only be done with in-person voting or canceled? cause there's a whole lot of options in between that don't involve killing people or shutting down democracy

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Does anyone else want to talk about how Democrats are on voter suppression?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/2009-acorn-scandal_n_5ae23fa6e4b02baed1b86696 (I loathe huffpo but this isn't a terrible summary of events, you can also just check out the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACORN_2009_undercover_videos_controversy)

How about Obama helping kill ACORN because of a heavily edited Breitbart video?

Maybe we should talk about some other way we think the Democratic Party holds any sort of semblance of a moral high ground?

As it happened at the time:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/59281-house-votes-to-defund-acorn

Boy, where's all the Democrat dissent?

quote:

“This bill indicates that the writing is on the wall for ACORN,” House Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio) said Thursday afternoon, noting that it still needs to clear the Senate, as well as have the president sign it.

Boehner also said that “President Obama must indicate whether he will join the Congress in taking decisive action.”

Decisive action by Obama, for sure.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 2, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nivdes posted:

You're being blatantly disingenuous, or are amazingly ignorant of what actually happened despite how certain you seem to be. New York only canceled the presidential primary, none of the other primaries, and people can vote by mail there anyway. In Wisconsin (and other states) the Biden campaign outright lied about what the CDC said was safe to encourage people to vote and had surrogates accusing the Sanders campaign of voter suppression for pointing this out, along with opposing any efforts to delay the primaries in general.

Being pissed about both of these things at once is not at all contradictory; people have the right to vote and should be able to do so safely. Canceling a primary outright in a state that does have mail-in voting and encouraging people to vote in-person during a pandemic while opposing efforts to delay the primaries both go against this principle.

Edit: VVV Yeah, but if you don't give more effort there's a good chance you'll be the one probated, despite responding to a blatant troll who's putting out even less effort, and will continue to do so unpunished.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 2, 2020

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

nivdes posted:

lol, go gently caress yourself

this is the exact amount of effort this post deserves btw

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nivdes posted:

If the risk of death or illness makes a voting process undemocratic, cancelling the election entirely is still undemocratic.

Hope that clarifies your confusion.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1256706588695552005

Now they're trying fumbling attempts at intimidation against the folks covering Read.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1256706588695552005

Now they're trying fumbling attempts at intimidation against the folks covering Read.

I thought press intimidation was supposed to be one of those trump only behaviors

Guess joe’s gonna normalize that too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so from what I can tell the whole 'ah HA she admits she's lying' nonsense of the day is a blend of 'after getting death threats to her and her daughter she backed out of an interview' and 'she said that her original report she submitted didn't include language about sexual harassment/assault' which in no way makes 'he fingerbanged me against my will' not rape anyway.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Democracy dies in darkness, and that's just the way we like it.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Im just a bit worried, if Trump gets in again, gets to replace RBG, implements one of his big voter suppression schemes the republicans have been trying for, is there a way to come back from it? Any reason to think we could rely on that new supreme court to stop, say, specifically targeted federal id laws, or a special new 'census' just for voter suppression? Or whatever else they have been cooking up? I know my country sees the right to vote as more important than America does but I think that threat would keep me up at night.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Condiv posted:

I thought press intimidation was supposed to be one of those trump only behaviors

Guess joe’s gonna normalize that too

They're trying really hard to get us to the point where it doesn't matter if she is telling the truth or not because their handling of it is so poor. None of these tactics will suddenly be vindicated if it turns out Tara is lying.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gentleman Baller posted:

Im just a bit worried, if Trump gets in again, gets to replace RBG, implements one of his big voter suppression schemes the republicans have been trying for, is there a way to come back from it? Any reason to think we could rely on that new supreme court to stop, say, specifically targeted federal id laws, or a special new 'census' just for voter suppression? Or whatever else they have been cooking up? I know my country sees the right to vote as more important than America does but I think that threat would keep me up at night.

I'm voting downticket to prevent this from happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm voting downticket to prevent this from happening

Faint hope returns. :unsmith: