Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Qrr posted:

Oh right, that whole releasing all the Malice thing. That doesn't seem like it's done a whole lot to Japan, huh?

Something tells me this plot point will never come up again. :(

So are we going to get to play as the Mutant Apes anymore or will they only come into their full power when they inevitably become game bosses? Probably the latter.

I'm surprised that what with the FF7 remake just coming out, no one has commented (until Id at the end of the latest update) on the name of Kato's science lab yet. "Hojo Research Institute"? Homage or common name in the Japanese anime mad science industry?

And Karin is now using Yuri's mother's name as an assumed identity. Interesting. I'm wondering why they don't bring up that Imperial Japan was technically neutral in WW1 though, and at the time didn't want to get involved with politics half a world away, so why would they care about German deserters hiding in their country? Or am I wrong about this political stance? Someone more familiar with the history can correct me if you like. Oh well, assumed name means Karin can stick with the party for now, I guess. They don't have to turn her in as a German war criminal or as a deserter- not that the German army has really been looking for her at all that we've seen.

Raiden knows when people are talking poo poo, but Kato is still his master. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gorilla dicks are actually quite small. And now you know.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

achtungnight posted:

Something tells me this plot point will never come up again. :(

So are we going to get to play as the Mutant Apes anymore or will they only come into their full power when they inevitably become game bosses? Probably the latter.

I'm surprised that what with the FF7 remake just coming out, no one has commented (until Id at the end of the latest update) on the name of Kato's science lab yet. "Hojo Research Institute"? Homage or common name in the Japanese anime mad science industry?

In order-

Totally comes up again! In From the New World

Yes.

I remember looking into it on the 2005 internet and not seeing any sort of historical mad scientist that either Hojo was named for, but I mean that was the 2005 internet. Whole other internet.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Hwurmp posted:

Gorilla dicks are actually quite small. And now you know.

Isnt that due to gorillas' fighting style being 'go for the weak points, this includes ripping their dicks off'?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That is a lie that many gorillas tell, mainly out of insecurity.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

achtungnight posted:

"Hojo Research Institute"? Homage or common name in the Japanese anime mad science industry?

Looking up the name, nothing obviously science related comes up, so probably a reference, since FFVII came out 7-ish years earlier.

The Dark Id posted:

Municipal buildings closed the weekend and all that.

"closed for the weekend"?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The Dark Id posted:

Note that five million volts would instantly vaporize someone like War of the Worlds lasers or some poo poo.
Or will do absolutely nothing, depending on actual current. Extremely high voltages also less likely to interfere with nerve impulses in the body due to skin effect.
Youtube has videos of people experimenting with high voltage (100 000 to 1 million volts) transmitted through their bodies.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

achtungnight posted:

And Karin is now using Yuri's mother's name as an assumed identity. Interesting. I'm wondering why they don't bring up that Imperial Japan was technically neutral in WW1 though, and at the time didn't want to get involved with politics half a world away, so why would they care about German deserters hiding in their country? Or am I wrong about this political stance? Someone more familiar with the history can correct me if you like. Oh well, assumed name means Karin can stick with the party for now, I guess. They don't have to turn her in as a German war criminal or as a deserter- not that the German army has really been looking for her at all that we've seen.

Japan definitely wasn't neutral during WW1, they were allied with the Entente. As you might expect, it wasn't one of their larger roles in world history, but they did take over some German holdings and generally made sure they didn't get a foothold. So it's probably not a good idea for Karin to tell people on the street that she's German military. I mean, this party acts on bad ideas all the time, but I guess this one is too much even for them. That, or some of the smarter members of the party finally got their way.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

EggsAisle posted:

Japan definitely wasn't neutral during WW1, they were allied with the Entente. As you might expect, it wasn't one of their larger roles in world history, but they did take over some German holdings and generally made sure they didn't get a foothold. So it's probably not a good idea for Karin to tell people on the street that she's German military. I mean, this party acts on bad ideas all the time, but I guess this one is too much even for them. That, or some of the smarter members of the party finally got their way.

Well Anastasia kind of just did it without actually asking or telling Karin, so she wasn't given an opportunity to object. It was still a good move, mind you, by one of the smarter members of the party.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Is Karin an instantly recognizably German name? In early 1900s Japan?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

That whole passport bit makes me think someone watched a bit too much "Half-life VR, but the AI is sentient"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Qrr posted:

She'd look out of place on general principle, and Her full name would be on the documents. "Koenig" is most definitely gonna get flagged as German, even if her first name isn't.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I still am not sure where the “ape” part comes in with the Mutant Apes. If they were clones, why use apes when only one of them has any non-hominid ape features? And even that one is just a buff, ugly guy with bad posture while the other is an anime ninja with a ridiculous blade and the last is a supermodel in fetish gear.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
“Apes” is probably a derogatory term to remind people, including Kato, that the clones are not human and in fact lesser beings. Witness the attitude of Kato’s boss towards them. Recall that casual racism has furthered such terms for millennia and that it’s very much present in Imperial Japan.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
Apes likely isn't meant to be a physical description, but to refer to their "Hear no, See no, Speak no" titles.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alternatively, we end up fighting each one individually, at which point they all combine into Sun Wukong or something.

Complete with the extending staff. Joachim gets it as a weapon after.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were made in a lab, so they can't be human despite their looks. instead, they are apes that somewhat resemble humans. going by that earlier conversation between kato and the couch dude, the dehumanizing nomenclature is deliberate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I can accept the dehumanizing name, but why not just call them the Mutant Squad or Undead Weapons or Cursed Soldiers among so many other options? The ape part just seems inexplicable when you already have “mutant” to degrade them with in a more accurate way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sillipenda posted:

Apes likely isn't meant to be a physical description, but to refer to their "Hear no, See no, Speak no" titles.

It's this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Kato Crew

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

The Dark Kato Crew

I dislike Okua Kong's render.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Qrr posted:

The fun thing is that Anne would be a more common german name for the time period than Karin.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zagglezig posted:

Looking up the name, nothing obviously science related comes up, so probably a reference, since FFVII came out 7-ish years earlier.

Mostly likely a reference from the localisation yeah - although without asking them that's not 100%.

FF7's Hojo is 宝条 "Houjou"
SH's "Hojo" is 藤堂 "Toudou" - unless there's a linguistic thing going on, pretty sure the Hojo name is probably a localisation thing. :shrug:

And yeah, Toudou doesn't seem to have any science connection, similar to Hojo though, it's the name of one of the samurai clans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CVE posted:

The fun thing is that Anne would be a more common german name for the time period than Karin.

"It's short for Anastasia".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yuri shouldn't need a passport, as he's the only member of this band of weirdos (Kurando aside) who should have Japanese citizenship.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Spending a couple decades as a murder hobo driven by screaming voices in your head tends to do a number on your ability to hold onto personal documents, it turns out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And who's the say his father actually got Yuri properly registered, far as we know Mr. Hyuga might've just hosed off and never bothered to tell anyone in Japan his whereabouts.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 3, 2020

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Depending on how imperial Japan handled citizenship, it's possible that Yuri wouldn't automatically be considered one, especially if he was born abroad. Countries can have all kinds of rules and bureaucracy to piss around with even today; a century and change ago would probably have been even worse.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So the weird thing is that the pre-WW1 era in Europe saw a huge relaxation of border controls. It was too much work to vet everyone's paperwork with the much faster and greater volume of travel afforded by the rail network; passports were fairly uncommon because on the eve of WW1 Europe resembled the Schengen Area of today's EU.

Of course the party's statelessness doesn't make sense during WW1 but details.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

EggsAisle posted:

Depending on how imperial Japan handled citizenship, it's possible that Yuri wouldn't automatically be considered one, especially if he was born abroad. Countries can have all kinds of rules and bureaucracy to piss around with even today; a century and change ago would probably have been even worse.

Modern day Japan at least has jus sanguinis citizenship, so Yuri would be covered assuming he ever set foot in Japan before his 20th birthday.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He lived in Japan at least until his mother died.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

He lived in Japan at least until his mother died.

no, that was russia.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Geostomp posted:

I still am not sure where the “ape” part comes in with the Mutant Apes. If they were clones, why use apes when only one of them has any non-hominid ape features? And even that one is just a buff, ugly guy with bad posture while the other is an anime ninja with a ridiculous blade and the last is a supermodel in fetish gear.

~In the Japanese version~ they're called The Three Monkeys, in reference to the The Hear No Evil/See No Evil/Speak No Evil monkeys, an iconography that originates in Japan. The localization team probably felt "Mutant Apes" sounds more menacing than "Three Monkeys" (it also helps that Mutant Apes is fewer characters than Three Monkeys, I guess).

(Ape is also probably more accurate because none of them have tails)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I get that the evil book gave Kato access to necromancy and he seems to know some other sorcery as well now, but I don't think it covered cybernetics. Japan in this universe is weirdly high-tech for its time.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, that was russia.

China. ‘Swhy Dehuai was able to send zombies in so easily

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CmdrKing posted:

China. ‘Swhy Dehuai was able to send zombies in so easily

Probably the Liaodong Peninsula in Manchuria, which in Yuri's lifetime was at various times part of China, Japan, and Russia :eng101:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m not sure if it’s a good sign that one of the smartest members of the party is the 14 year old child.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

jimmydalad posted:

I’m not sure if it’s a good sign that one of the smartest members of the party is the 14 year old child.

Is it better or worse than the other one being a non-speaking wolf?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

It's a JRPG. The smartest party member is almost always going to be the young precocious child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

jimmydalad posted:

Given that she's a member of a royal family, she is very likely the most highly educated person in the party. I guess Joachim's family are rich folks too, but he strikes me as a very "Got a C- in everything but Gym" type of person.