Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Almost all current guides are going to be from before the IFHE Rework. Currently it's definitely not worth taking IFHE on the Russians. It drops your fire chance from 11% to 7%, and in return, you can pen some light cruisers. But not heavy cruisers or BBs. Not a great tradeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fires are more fun anyway

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Before the IFHE rework it let you pen battleship decks at lower tiers (T7 and below) and heavy cruisers like Des Moines. Now afterward none of that is true so yeah definitely not any more.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
That makes sense. So in which situations should I be using AP shells with the Russian dds? Pretty much any time I have a broadside target on anything aside from other destroyers and/or I’ve already set them on fire?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

That makes sense. So in which situations should I be using AP shells with the Russian dds? Pretty much any time I have a broadside target on anything aside from other destroyers and/or I’ve already set them on fire?

Pretty much. Only ever when you have broadside, and it's useful to have them on fire first. Light cruisers can by citadeled out to 10-12km or so, and heavy cruisers usually 8-ish km? (High tier Germans can't be at all, Italians I wouldn't try, others go hog wild). For BBs just aim for the superstructure/upper belt and you should get full pens, as well as the nose/stern.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Ohio loving slaps.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Regarding the earlier discussion about how fragile the Ibuki is, I would like to present to the court Exhibit A. The Ibuki's citadel is the most powerful magnet known to science, capable of attracting one and a half ton shells from 18km away. The guy had never been spotted and I missed the target I was aiming at completely, but 5 out of 6 shells hit the Ibuki anyway.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Yeah, Soviet DD AP works quite well against most broadsides. Sometimes even DD's, especially at long range. The Soviet DD's are so, so bad now though. I reset the line a while ago and have been slowly grinding up the Minsk, Kiev and Tashkent. They just don't work at higher tiers. The lower tiers are sorta okay or even good but at higher tiers every single game has either a CV or a cyclone or both, or you run into stuff like French DD's with about the same concealment but even higher speed and significantly more DPM. Add to this the fact that the playstyle involves doing chip damage over a relatively long period while the current state of the game has most matches basically decided within the first 5-7 minutes, and it's just a loving chore to play them. Absolutely zero carry potential and incredibly dependent on favorable matchups to get anything done at all.

Also the game needs more radar, so much loving smoke hydro poo poo going on right now.

As a side note it's incredibly annoying when you try to go off on your own in a Soviet DD to try to flank and the entire team just lemmings after you.

toadee posted:

Pretty much. Only ever when you have broadside, and it's useful to have them on fire first. Light cruisers can by citadeled out to 10-12km or so, and heavy cruisers usually 8-ish km? (High tier Germans can't be at all, Italians I wouldn't try, others go hog wild). For BBs just aim for the superstructure/upper belt and you should get full pens, as well as the nose/stern.

This is at lower tiers. Even Tashkent AP only has ~100mm pen at 8km, and that's not enough even for light cruisers in the 8-10 bracket. Only Smolensk, and maybe a few of the British CL's.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2020

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

The Soviet DD's are so, so bad now though. I reset the line a while ago and have been slowly grinding up the Minsk, Kiev and Tashkent. They just don't work at higher tiers.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Minsk, Kiev, and Tashkent are great, Tashkent is almost just objectively better than Khaba (which is honestly the worst of the bunch). They out DPM French DDs by a mile until MBRB is active, so, you use the fact that you have a brain an 99% of pubbies don't to: engage, angle away and throttle juke down, then throttle up, causing them to miss 80-90% of their MBRB shells. Then you use your incredible ballistics and nearly equal speed to out trade them heavily at longer ranges.

Take smoke on the Khaba line now to deal with CVs.

Obey the Uniscum Russian DD guide. Always go to flanks, always harass bigger ships and make them run away. Kite if they push and you have less support. Always cycle your guns.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, Soviet DD AP works quite well against most broadsides. Sometimes even DD's, especially at long range. The Soviet DD's are so, so bad now though. I reset the line a while ago and have been slowly grinding up the Minsk, Kiev and Tashkent. They just don't work at higher tiers. The lower tiers are sorta okay or even good but at higher tiers every single game has either a CV or a cyclone or both, or you run into stuff like French DD's with about the same concealment but even higher speed and significantly more DPM. Add to this the fact that the playstyle involves doing chip damage over a relatively long period while the current state of the game has most matches basically decided within the first 5-7 minutes, and it's just a loving chore to play them. Absolutely zero carry potential and incredibly dependent on favorable matchups to get anything done at all.

Would you say T7 is about the sweet spot? I'm having a blast at t7 because it seems like I usually tier against 5-8. Maybe I've been lucky not to see tier IX much. I just had a fun as hell game where I pulled off pretty decent damage where the enemy tried to shoot me at 11k range and rarely hit while I was pulling decent damage and my team mopped up. Pubbies /can not resist shooting at you/ even at max range apparently. I had 6 ships shooting at me while I got the hell out of dodge at one point. I've never seen that many volleys flying my way and I ended the match with 30-some hp.

If I like that playstyle should I maybe start to transition to French dds since I've apparently doubled down on playing the weird kiting dd style instead of the usual torp types?

My strategy for carriers has been to turn off my AA guns, hide from planes, and then make my way to a different flank. I don't play ranked too much, just scrubby randoms.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 1, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You guys are SURE we just need to have the Moskva researched, and that we'll still get one even if we never actually purchased a Moskva when it was tech tree? :ohdear:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

General Battuta posted:

You guys are SURE we just need to have the Moskva researched, and that we'll still get one even if we never actually purchased a Moskva when it was tech tree? :ohdear:

yes

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Minsk, Kiev, and Tashkent are great, Tashkent is almost just objectively better than Khaba (which is honestly the worst of the bunch). They out DPM French DDs by a mile until MBRB is active, so, you use the fact that you have a brain an 99% of pubbies don't to: engage, angle away and throttle juke down, then throttle up, causing them to miss 80-90% of their MBRB shells. Then you use your incredible ballistics and nearly equal speed to out trade them heavily at longer ranges.

Take smoke on the Khaba line now to deal with CVs.

Obey the Uniscum Russian DD guide. Always go to flanks, always harass bigger ships and make them run away. Kite if they push and you have less support. Always cycle your guns.

Have you actually tried playing them recently? Here's my track record today:

Leningrad is good because it has decent concealment and the Podvoisky is also fine but the Minsk is eh, the Kiev is absolute trash and the Tashkent is mostly bad. Tashkent is better than Khabarovsk but that doesn't exactly say much. I know how to play these ships dude, you don't need to tell me to read guides. Tashkent and Mogador have pretty similar base HE DPM by the way, and let me tell you it's hilarious to run into a Marceau.

Smoke: absolutely not. I don't understand why people claim smoke works against CV's on basically anything except British DD's. It can save you from an opportunistic strike but if you're being a nuisance the CV will usually try to actively hunt you and then it does nothing. So it comes to down to general usage. Smoke is overvalued in general on many DD's but on Soviet DD's it's actual garbage since most of the time it hurts you more than it helps, because you're usually self-spotting.

There's a reason the unicum guide told you to run IFHE, and that's because fire damage loving sucks. Without IFHE you have 22mm pen which means you do no damage against basically everything except DD's and superstructures, so you're 100% reliant on fire RNG (with a 8% base fire chance, same as on the Friesland) and pubbies showing broadside to do anything. That works on the Smolensk because it has north of 400k HE DPM but not on the Taskhent, which has 136k. It takes a hundred years to kill anything. Your best bet is to shoot mostly AP but that relies on broadside access.

Flanking is sort of questionable in general by the way, most teams just naturally gravitate towards the map edges.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 1, 2020

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Leningrad is good because it has decent concealment and the Podvoisky is also fine but the Minsk is eh, the Kiev is absolute trash and the Tashkent is mostly bad. Tashkent is better than Khabarovsk but that doesn't exactly say much. I know how to play these ships dude, you don't need to tell me to read guides. Tashkent and Mogador have pretty similar base HE DPM by the way, and let me tell you it's hilarious to run into a Marceau.

Smoke: absolutely not. I don't understand why people claim smoke works against CV's on basically anything except British DD's. It can save you from an opportunistic strike but if you're being a nuisance the CV will usually try to actively hunt you and then it does nothing. So it comes to down to general usage. Smoke is overvalued in general on many DD's but on Soviet DD's it's actual garbage since most of the time it hurts you more than it helps, because you're usually self-spotting.

There's a reason the unicum guide told you to run IFHE, and that's because fire damage loving sucks. Without IFHE you have 22mm pen which means you do no damage against basically everything except DD's and superstructures, so you're 100% reliant on fire RNG (with a 8% base fire chance, same as on the Friesland) and pubbies showing broadside to do anything. That works on the Smolensk because it has north of 400k HE DPM but not on the Taskhent, which has 136k. It takes a hundred years to kill anything.

Flanking is sort of questionable in general by the way, most teams just naturally gravitate towards the map edges.

The uniscum Russian DD guide is written by the man who is ranked #1 in Podvoisky, Gnevny, Minsk, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, and Khaba, like, by far. Also is a cruiser main on O7's KotS championship teams, and generally one of the top 10 players in the world, so I think there's something we can all take from that guide to be honest.

I very recently ground through them and yeah, they worked great

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

The uniscum Russian DD guide is written by the man who is ranked #1 in Podvoisky, Gnevny, Minsk, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, and Khaba, like, by far. Also is a cruiser main on O7's KotS championship teams, and generally one of the top 10 players in the world, so I think there's something we can all take from that guide to be honest.

I very recently ground through them and yeah, they worked great

It's also like a year old and predates the IFHE rework and the release of the French DD's. The tactical advice is sound but a lot has changed in the game since then. Again: did you play these after the IFHE rework? I used to really like this line and had stats similar to yours in the old Kiev/Tashkent/Khaba (in fact I had good stats in the old T7 Kiev and T8 Tashkent too). Not so today, though.

e: your Kiev stats are interesting. Borderline super unicum PR with only 57k average damage and a 50% win rate because so little is expected from these things.
e2: I would also appreciate it if you would use actual argumentation instead of appealing to super unicums every time we have a discussion

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 1, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK, I mean, let's look at the other T8 DDs:

"Only" 57k damage is very near the top of the list.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 1, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gwaihir posted:

OK, I mean, let's look at the other T8 DDs:

"Only" 57k damage is very near the top of the list.

look at the win rate/damage balance tho. these get damage from fire, not torps, so it's worth much less

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

TheFluff posted:

There's a reason the unicum guide told you to run IFHE, and that's because fire damage loving sucks. Without IFHE you have 22mm pen which means you do no damage against basically everything except DD's and superstructures, so you're 100% reliant on fire RNG (with a 8% base fire chance, same as on the Friesland) and pubbies showing broadside to do anything. That works on the Smolensk because it has north of 400k HE DPM but not on the Taskhent, which has 136k. It takes a hundred years to kill anything. Your best bet is to shoot mostly AP but that relies on broadside access.

The Minsk, Kiev and Tashkent have similar play styles of setting all the fires and doing DPM. They’re very good in this role, but it’s a high risk playstyle. If you’re struggling you’re probably trying to play a cap centric game where they don’t do well. As someone who is pretty good at dds, the Kiev and Tashkent are still challenging ships to do well in because they’re easy to overcommit in and don’t do well when they can’t kite away, but they’re outstanding when played well.

Edit: oh, you’re in Goon, complaining about ships, teams, etc in the wows thread is obligatory. Sorry I didn’t realize.

Edit 2: You yourself posted about how great the Leningrad is back in March. The Minsk is a Leningrad, and all these ships play the same, make up your mind.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 1, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TheFluff posted:

I'm not sure why Leningrad would be good and Minsk eh. They have about the same concealment, and concealment isn't too relevant on Russian DDs since you already outspot all cruisers and are outspotted by all concealment focus DDs. Leningrad can try to stealth torp if you lose a lot of health early, but otherwise there shouldn't really be a difference.
Tashkent and Mogador don't have pretty similar base HE DPM any more than Fletcher and Yugumo have pretty similar base HE DPM. You win a fight against a French DD if it doesn't get a lot of damage during the reload boost. You also get smoke, so if a French DD tries to chase you you can smoke when it reload boosts and get free damage on it. Marceau does have much better DPM, but its shells are easily dodged even at 8 km. If it tries to get closer, you can run toward your team so that it has to chase you into them.

TheFluff posted:

If you smoke against rocket planes, the CV won't do very much damage until the smoke is over. If the CV isn't a 51% win rate Audacious with matchmaking monitor, it will usually leave instead of sitting on your smoke for a minute and a half, and you can farm from the smoke while waiting for it to go somewhere else. A CV that wants to kill you will still kill you, but that applies to every ship in the game.
Smoke is mostly necessary because of rocket planes, but in a no CV game you can still use it to shoot from a strategic position without people shooting you back. If you want to queue dodge CVs you can use heal, but that only really works at odd tiers unless you want to wait 30 minutes for a match.

TheFluff posted:

The guide told you to run IFHE on the tier 5-7 for the same reason you would run IFHE on an Atlanta, because it lets you penetrate tier 6-7 BB armor as well as higher tier cruisers. Pre nerf IFHE was very good on anything at those tiers with DD caliber guns.
IFHE also used to be an option on the higher tiers for focusing on cruisers. Even pre nerf it was counterproductive against BBs because it cost you 1% fire chance and two 2 or 3 point skills, but it opened a lot of possibilities to 1v1 cruisers. In the tier 8 clan wars season cruisers without heal were mostly obsolete because of IFHE Kievs.

You don't really rely on fire RNG though. Sometimes you run into a triple secondary GK division that repair single fires and you get a free 90k fire damage, but overall you do more damage with HE pens on superstructure than fires (especially considering that an equal amount of fire damage is less useful than HE pen damage, since fire damage is 100% healable and also disproportionately on BBs which have larger health pools). It does take a while to kill ships unless you run into the aforementioned no fire prevention GKs pushing into you, but DDs in general take a while to get kills unless you're killing DDs (but Russian DDs are fine at killing DDs) or playing a torpedo boat against pubbies that eat a lot of torpedoes (but Russian DDs aren't worse at getting kills than torpedo boats, because torpedoes are unreliable).

TheFluff posted:

e: your Kiev stats are interesting. Borderline super unicum PR with only 57k average damage and a 50% win rate because so little is expected from these things.

Most gunboats have very low expected stats because pubbies think you're supposed to play every DD as a gunless torpedo boat. Win rate is pretty much meaningless over 20 games, and PR is mostly average damage and kills.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

e2: I would also appreciate it if you would use actual argumentation instead of appealing to super unicums every time we have a discussion

The argument is "this is good advice from the best Russian DD player in the world, apply it and good things happen".

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Velius posted:

The Minsk, Kiev and Tashkent have similar play styles of setting all the fires and doing DPM. They’re very good in this role, but it’s a high risk playstyle. If you’re struggling you’re probably trying to play a cap centric game where they don’t do well. As someone who is pretty good at dds, the Kiev and Tashkent are still challenging ships to do well in because they’re easy to overcommit in and don’t do well when they can’t kite away, but they’re outstanding when played well.

Edit: oh, you’re in Goon, complaining about ships, teams, etc in the wows thread is obligatory. Sorry I didn’t realize.

Edit 2: You yourself posted about how great the Leningrad is back in March. The Minsk is a Leningrad, and all these ships play the same, make up your mind.

stop telling me "git gud tho" lmao
I know how to play these ships. I have done well in them before. The problem is they changed and now they do much less damage than they used to. I don't see what about this is so hard to understand? If I'm not allowed to post about which ships I like and which ships I don't like then what the hell else am I supposed to post about? I don't complain about teams.

The Minsk is absolutely not a Leningrad. The Leningrad is built in a completely different way and plays in a completely different way. It's a hybrid, not a pure gunboat. It can be played aggressively around caps in a way that you don't really do in the Minsk.

James Garfield posted:

The guide told you to run IFHE on the tier 5-7 for the same reason you would run IFHE on an Atlanta, because it lets you penetrate tier 6-7 BB armor as well as higher tier cruisers. Pre nerf IFHE was very good on anything at those tiers with DD caliber guns.
The guide literally says to take IFHE on Kiev/Tashkent/Khabarovsk (but not on Grozovoi and Udaloi, because they're hybrids).

James Garfield posted:

You don't really rely on fire RNG though. Sometimes you run into a triple secondary GK division that repair single fires and you get a free 90k fire damage, but overall you do more damage with HE pens on superstructure than fires (especially considering that an equal amount of fire damage is less useful than HE pen damage, since fire damage is 100% healable and also disproportionately on BBs which have larger health pools). It does take a while to kill ships unless you run into the aforementioned no fire prevention GKs pushing into you, but DDs in general take a while to get kills unless you're killing DDs (but Russian DDs are fine at killing DDs) or playing a torpedo boat against pubbies that eat a lot of torpedoes (but Russian DDs aren't worse at getting kills than torpedo boats, because torpedoes are unreliable).

You absolutely loving do rely on fire RNG (or AP). Superstructure damage is limited by saturation and farming it is harder than you think on many ships. On many other ships what you say is true, direct HE damage does more, but not on these things because the DPM is so drat low. Here's a score screen from a decent-ish Kiev game from a few days ago where I did exactly the usual old thing and herded battleships:

Impressive direct HE damage, huh? That's almost exactly 100 damage per shell. This game was unusually good in fire damage and as you say it was mostly shooting BB's, but HE damage does not dominate in my experience. Not being able to reliably damage cruisers with HE is also a big pain in the rear end.

Here's the Tashkent win I finally got today after seven consecutive losses:

About 6k of the HE damage was on DD's, and I didn't even really try to start fires. Note the AP damage in comparison to the HE damage.

Same story in most of the detailed reports if I go back through today's games - HE damage and fire damage are usually about equal, and that's when I'm shooting a fair bit of DD's as well.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 1, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TheFluff posted:

I know how to play these ships. I have done well in them before. The problem is they changed and now they do much less damage than they used to. I don't see what about this is so hard to understand? If I'm not allowed to post about which ships I like and which ships I don't like then what the hell else am I supposed to post about? I don't complain about teams.
I agree they got more frustrating to play on account of CVs/Smolensk/Venezia. Lately there are other DDs I would rather play. They're still fine though, it's not like a nerf to a skill that was situational in the first place ruined them. Khabarovsk is underpowered, but it was underpowered even before the CV rework.

TheFluff posted:

The guide literally says to take IFHE on Kiev/Tashkent/Khabarovsk (but not on Grozovoi and Udaloi, because they're hybrids).

There's a part 2 that explains the skill recommendations. IFHE was recommended instead of AFT on the Khabarovsk line for countering island radar cruisers, and AFT on Udaloi and Grozovoi for HE spamming battleships. Part 2 also suggests that AFT on Khabarovsk line is better overall, but Tashkent and Khabarovsk with AFT are just worse than Udaloi and Grozovoi.

TheFluff posted:

You absolutely loving do rely on fire RNG (or AP). Superstructure damage is limited by saturation and farming it is harder than you think on many ships. On many other ships what you say is true, direct HE damage does more, but not on these things because the DPM is so drat low. Here's a score screen from a decent-ish Kiev game from a few days ago where I did exactly the usual old thing and herded battleships:

Impressive direct HE damage, huh? That's almost exactly 100 damage per shell. This game was unusually good in fire damage and as you say it was mostly shooting BB's, but HE damage does not dominate in my experience. Not being able to reliably damage cruisers with HE is also a big pain in the rear end.

Here's the Tashkent win I finally got today after seven consecutive losses:

About 6k of the HE damage was on DD's, and I didn't even really try to start fires. Note the AP damage in comparison to the HE damage.

Same story in most of the detailed reports if I go back through today's games - HE damage and fire damage are usually about equal, and that's when I'm shooting a fair bit of DD's as well.

It's really specific situations where you get more fire damage than HE alpha. I forgot to take a screenshot before I closed the client, but I just did a training room with HE only Udaloi against three bot Vladivostoks (no anti fire skills, no damage control, but one was stock hull for some reason so that reduces the fire damage a bit) for 102k HE alpha and 114k fire damage. I rotated fires against two of the Vladivostoks, so there would have been more HE alpha and less fire damage if I killed them one at a time. The third one spawned far away and I didn't rotate fires on it, but it's hardly guaranteed that you'll get 200k HP of no fire prevention BBs to yourself in the first place.

You can potentially get a lot of damage from fires because one fire that sticks on a BB gets you 10~20k free damage while you're still shooting, but even with DD guns that don't penetrate 32 mm the alpha damage is very important for killing one ship.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I apologize for being so grumpy earlier. Really need to stop getting mad at video games.

I think what frustrates me about the Kiev/Tashkent/Khaba in general is mainly consistency issues (or at least consistency issues when I'm playing them, and I know I could certainly get better at playing them). Many DD's have quite a bit of this to some extent or other, the Halland perhaps least so of all the ones I've played recently. In the Soviet gunboats though if there's a cyclone you're just screwed, there's not a whole lot you can do other than trying to yolotorp or play extremely carefully right around 8km (which is very difficult). If there's a lot of cruisers with great ballistics you're also sort of hosed and you'll take a lot of damage even at 13-14km. If you run into basically any decent gunboat DD at short range you're probably hosed too because they all outgun you significantly and the ballistics advantage doesn't really start kicking in until like 10km or so. Yes you can to some degree avoid other DD's with positioning but there are limitations to that. I hate smoke but I guess I should try it and see if it gets more consistent that way.

I really like ships where if I do the right thing I get rewarded consistently and I feel like I can have an impact on the match regardless of the matchup. This is why I hate inaccurate battleships but love the Georgia/Thunderer/Montana. That's pretty much it.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

I really like ships where if I do the right thing I get rewarded consistently and I feel like I can have an impact on the match regardless of the matchup.

This is exactly why half my recent games are in Venezia. The ship is ridiculous. You just sail around slapping people for 10-15k per salvo regardless of distance or angle, and with the double rudder build you can dodge everything that shoots back.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The Visby sure is pointless. I kinda just exists in a game. It doesn't have anything to really do in a match, since your torps just kinda tickle sihps, it doesn't have the firepower to shoot things. Its just there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

:perfect:

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Is there another hot coal ship coming shortly or should I just get the Georgia that kinda tempts me.

Only issue is that Marceau also looks nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hreple posted:

Is there another hot coal ship coming shortly or should I just get the Georgia that kinda tempts me.

I don't think there's any others coming down the pipe any time soon, maybe Shikishima or one of the very disappointing German supercruisers? None of those three are going to hold a candle to Georgia

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 2, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Speaking of disappointing German supercruisers, they nerfed the Ägir again... for reasons.

quote:

German cruiser Ägir, Tier IX:

Shells' parameters were changed:

AP shell's maximum damage reduced from 9,400 to 9,100;

HE and AP shell ballistics were changed: shells will now take a bit longer to reach their target when fired at any distance;

AP shell armor penetration remains almost the same as before changes.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CitizenKain posted:

The Visby sure is pointless. I kinda just exists in a game. It doesn't have anything to really do in a match, since your torps just kinda tickle sihps, it doesn't have the firepower to shoot things. Its just there.

I really like the Visby :shrug:
You gotta work for the damage but it's there, and it's so easy to outplay people in a ship so maneuverable. It's proof that applying a relatively small amount of damage in the right place can still swing games. The torp damage is the same up until the Öland by the way (although they get longer ranged and/or faster every tier).

hreple posted:

I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record, but: get the Georgia, crazy good ship. After almost 70 games in mine I'm managing to maintain a 72% solo win rate, and I'm not that good regularly. Also hilariously fun to play unlike certain other OP premiums.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 2, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mods rename me Murata because im in love with the Fubuki

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

One the Visby clicked for me, it became my second highest PR ship among ships that I have more than 40 games in. I found that concealment expert is what really made it for me.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't mind my albeit short time with the Visby either. Grinding up soviet DD's at the same time, the torps felt great that I could finally reach out and touch someone by comparison.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

TheFluff posted:

I really like the Visby :shrug:
You gotta work for the damage but it's there, and it's so easy to outplay people in a ship so maneuverable. It's proof that applying a relatively small amount of damage in the right place can still swing games. The torp damage is the same up until the Öland by the way (although they get longer ranged and/or faster every tier).

I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record, but: get the Georgia, crazy good ship. After almost 70 games in mine I'm managing to maintain a 72% solo win rate, and I'm not that good regularly. Also hilariously fun to play unlike certain other OP premiums.

Got it - tried it for a few battles, and the verdict is in already. I keep overextending due to the speed, and for some loving absurd reason I cant get the accuracy I should get with the guns. Meaning, I cant hit poo poo and with only six guns thats really REALLY hurting my performance. Apparently its a worthless ship for bad players :D

Stay at range with it and snipe for the first part of the match or go hog wild and flank + dont flank like an idiot and catch 3-4 ships vs just me?

hreple fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 3, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

hreple posted:

Got it - tried it for a few battles, and the verdict is in already. I keep overextending due to the speed, and for some loving absurd reason I cant get the accuracy I should get with the guns. Meaning, I cant hit poo poo and with only six guns thats really REALLY hurting my performance. Apparently its a worthless ship for bad players :D

Stay at range with it and snipe for the first part of the match or go hog wild and flank + dont flank like an idiot and catch 3-4 ships vs just me?

Don't stay at range, it's extremely survivable due to the speed and fast reloading heal. Look for openings and exploit them. Don't take central positions like a regular battleship at the start. Instead speed boost immediately when the game starts, go to a flank and see if it can be pushed. Not infrequently you'll surprise someone who didn't expect a battleship there so early and get a couple free citadels when they try to turn away. If the opposition on the flank looks too intimidating, just turn around and go look for broadsides somewhere else. Don't stay in a bad engagement, you're faster than everyone else so just run away if you feel like it.

As a rule of thumb, when pushing at the start of the game, don't bring your concealment circle past the center of the cap before you start turning around. rear end towards the enemy while spotted, always. Don't want to have to turn around and show broadside while permaspotted in front of two Iowas and a Jean Bart.

The guns are exceptionally accurate but they can still betray you sometimes. Your aim really needs to be on point though because if it's off even a little bit you'll miss.

If you want I can try to remember to post some replays when I get home.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I find Visby fun because you just kinda bounce around looking at things and occasionally pissing people off with your torps. The lack of smoke has forced me to get a lot smarter about concealment ranges.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
#cursedship #weekends

Why yes, I was bottom tier. Why yes, we did have a fail division with an Omaha. Why yes, I did have 2x the XP of the second highest XP ship on my team, who was a tirpitz that hit W and I think went AFK.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Blindeye posted:

#cursedship #weekends

Why yes, I was bottom tier. Why yes, we did have a fail division with an Omaha. Why yes, I did have 2x the XP of the second highest XP ship on my team, who was a tirpitz that hit W and I think went AFK.

Should have carried harder.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Why has this game suddenly become 5 minute steam rolls with no rhyme or reason to which side wins?

Half the time we have lost even before I can get my head round where everyone is going.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

#cursedship #weekends

Its not your teams fault, its yours, and yours alone, because players are spread evenly between teams and thus you can never ever pull a monkey team vs. competent humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Burt posted:

Why has this game suddenly become 5 minute steam rolls with no rhyme or reason to which side wins?

Half the time we have lost even before I can get my head round where everyone is going.

People usually attribute this to quarantine weekend warriors but I wonder if a more likely explanation might be power creep and higher lethality in general.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its not your teams fault, its yours, and yours alone, because players are spread evenly between teams and thus you can never ever pull a monkey team vs. competent humans.

IIRC something like 99.5% of all players are within the 35-65% winrate band. That means even for a solo player about one match in three is unwinnable and one match in three is unloseable. The remaining third you can swing yourself.

e: example:

this was absolutely winnable and I might have won it myself with better aim and decision making but what definitely swung it to a loss at the end was our almost full hp venezia going off to chase the cv at the end instead of dealing with a daring taking caps and pushing me around. second highest base xp in the match even though I'm on the losing team feels p good. still waiting for that >2500 base xp loss

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2020