Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Or Ben has been shown to be kinda petty about people he just doesn't like interacting with? We've already seen it with Adam where they bickered constantly resulting in basically a childish 'no, you' fight in Adam's boot episode.

It's just a personality clash and has by no means any foundation of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Didn't Jeremy say him and Ben were good at one point earlier? I hate Ben but calling him racist here seems wrong...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe he’s just an awkward dude. I don’t know. It just seems starkly different to everyone else’s approach to me.

If there's anything to take away from his first season, Ben is a definitely a pretty awkward dude and has some PTSD issues that they haven't touched on too much this season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe he’s just an awkward dude. I don’t know. It just seems starkly different to everyone else’s approach to me.

It's already been mentioned but look at his interactions with Adam. He's just really bad at social conflict I guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jeremy also acts like an rear end with people he doesn't agree with, look how shittily he treated Denise at the previous tribal council.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was getting the weird vibe from Ben as well, mostly because the editing is showing Ben 100% fine talking to everyone except Jeremy, then Jeremy wondering why Ben wont say a word to him. They haven't shown any strange conflict to get that kind of reaction that I can remember. It's just a really weird thing going on and my wife and I both commented about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But they were fine earlier which is why Jeremy is so frustrated

Ben did not just now learn that Jeremy is black

Ben is trying to do some Boston Robbing and getting it all wrong

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I chalk it up to Ben just being really petty sometimes. As Jeremy said, he's a child. We saw it with him Adam too, it just felt a bit more deserved since Adam was betraying Ben while Jeremy's just trying to survive. But Ben just doesn't like losing it seems and can't really process that and get past it. And I think he rationalizes that once he betrays Jeremy and writes his name down that relationship is burned anyway so there's no point. Which is silly and childish but I'm not convinced its racist.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I was something of a Ben apologist in his winning season but man does he suck

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still don't really hate him but he's certainly not exactly winning people over at the moment.

Truthfully I think the game is taking a toll on most of them and it probably speaks to like Denise getting fed up and being kind of a dick and Jeremy being kind of a dick in return. Then you have Sarah losing her poo poo. Tony just seems like he's driven everyone kind of insane at the exact point where they're breaking down. The chaos he revels in is just frustrating as hell to most of the players left. And I imagine that becomes tough to watch back and defend on social media, especially when people react in extremes and give no benefit of the doubt.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
They're all control freaks without the control. They're playing a board game version of Survivor where instead of using their own strategy they have to use the strategy on the card that they're forced to pick from the pile. Somewhat ironically Tony has taken control of the game by being willfully ignorant of the board game pieces.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 3, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a decent amount of ego on the line too, no matter how laid-back all of them are. Even Denise is getting frustrated and she's usually pretty unflappable.

I think if Tyson and Adam were still in the game a head or two might have melted down by now from all the chaos and paranoia.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we also get only a snippet of actual tribal council so if what we saw was at the end of 45 minutes to 2 hours of tony Tonying and everyone running around whispering i'd probably be fed up and snippy too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My interpretation of Denise's moment is that basically Jeremy and Kim were desperate to come up with an alternative that wasn't them voting for each other and Denise just wasn't getting on board either because she was safe and frustrated or just didn't want to work with Jeremy. So Jeremy was probably hounding Denise (and probably had been for hours/days) and she just wanted to end it.

That could speak to Ben's pettiness as well. Like if he's just completely unwilling to work with Jeremy and Jeremy just won't stop trying then maybe Ben thinks its the "better" way to handle it by just refusing to talk to him and entertain it. There was a touch of that with Adam where he just walked away when Adam was lying to him instead if entertaining it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 3, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’m just ready for Boston Rob to come back and win the whole thing.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I don't think there's anything nasty about what we've been shown about Denise and Ben. The assholes bullying them off of social media however...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Please don't even joke about that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Please don't even joke about that

Right, it should be deadly serious

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Rob coming back might unify the remaining players enough to do a 24 hour group hug together.

Wondering if Rob's hero glory run with the the coconuts was just an in-jury pre-return vote play attempt though too (one that the in play folks apparently wouldn't know about). Or editing. Hmmm.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the real question is what do you mean when you call someone "racist?"

I'd feel personally comfortable calling myself and everyone here on earth racist, but I assume most of us, including myself, would protest and say we don't hate X people. What's your threshold? Someone being racist could mean anything. How many prejudiced and biased things does a person need to think or say before you call them out or bandy the "r" word? If you gathered every Racist together, whether you think that means 6 billion or 6 million, not many of them are going to even consider themselves or each other racist.

In any case, I think the "story" kind of tells itself when you see a whiny white county marine in a cowboy hat seemingly disproportionately pissed at and openly scared of the only black dude on his tribe. Whether or not you personally are super precious about when you use the "racist" label, just from a simple TV show perspective it's easy to see why folks might get the impression.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
You could also say that it's racist to be calling Ben racist for feuding with Jeremy just because you see Jeremy is black. We know that they don't show us everything and are regularly complaining that we don't understand people's motivations. We've seen Ben act this way towards white people like Adam before. Viewers are making assumptions based solely off the players races here.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Deceptive posted:

You could also say that it's racist to be calling Ben racist for feuding with Jeremy just because you see Jeremy is black.

well, yeah, sure, it's a free country, you could say that even though it makes no sense

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Whether or not you personally are super precious about when you use the "racist" label, just from a simple TV show perspective it's easy to see why folks might get the impression.

Well yeah because those people are morons who see what they want to see. Adam got the same treatment except way worse and Ben didn't seem to have any problem at all with Jeremy until he failed to vote him out and lost possibly his best ally at the same time.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I don't know if this is better or worse than the "there's nothing defining about women's handwriting" argument in this thread

It's certainly just as stupid

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
There's been plenty of moments in Survivor history where I spent a moment wondering if race might have made an impact on the situation, consciously or unconsciously, but the last episode wasn't one of them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Was it last season or the one before that had literal Eric Cartman "gingers have no soul" poo poo repeated constantly by someone

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

Was it last season or the one before that had literal Eric Cartman "gingers have no soul" poo poo repeated constantly by someone

That was the first EoE iirc

e: actually now I'm not sure because I thought it was something someone said to Victoria but looking at the cast of 39 now I'm thinking it's something that Elaine said

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 4, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

freeman posted:

Well yeah because those people are morons who see what they want to see. Adam got the same treatment except way worse and Ben didn't seem to have any problem at all with Jeremy until he failed to vote him out and lost possibly his best ally at the same time.

clearly ben is racist AND antisemetic :godwin:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was Lauren from HHH. She said she could never trust a redhead.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Survivor: Pirate Bay

playing catch up, but how quickly we have all forgotten Pirate Master.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Imagine a world where Russell successfully got cast for Pirate Master and never got his stink on the Survivor franchise

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Adus posted:

i was thinking this as well. would have been hilarious if he took it away like 5 seconds after giving it to them. or like, not let nick have any because he ended the challenge by stepping out and jeff clearly stated they could eat as long as the challenge went.

i'm curious how much time they actually got.

They brought this up on RHAP and there's still yet to be an explanation. Jeff clearly said that the people who dropped out could eat the PB & cookies until the challenge was over. Kim was the only one who was able to actually even get to Jeff before the challenge ended, so why did the others get to eat, and for how long were they allowed to eat? I suppose if there weren't a ban on players commenting about the game, we'd be able to know the answer, so I guess we have to wait until the season is over and they start doing interviews / AMAs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It looked like he just let them grab a couple cookies and a scoop of pb

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The alliance dynamics this season have been really interesting.

Sophie and Sarah were at the center of the majority. Jeremy was with the outsiders Denise, Michele, Kim, and Tyson. Then when he leaves Tribal and Tyson goes home, Sophie and Sarah start bringing Kim and Denise into the fold to really focus on taking out Jeremy. Tony plans to just string Jeremy along but ends up deciding to save him with Nick, and boots Sophie.

This locks Jeremy in with Tony, who still has some outside connections from his time in the majority alliance, and has the option to cut Jeremy. Meanwhile it totally up-ends power center of the tribe. It locks Denise and Kim in against Jeremy since they've voted against him and failed, with Jeremy allying with another faction. Tony manages to keep Sarah but only after she threatens to never speak to him again and he's forced to demonstrate he's willing to give her his idol. Sarah goes from power position to someone stuck attached to Tony, and even though she forced him into line she's playing Tony's game now.

Nick is still a swing voter and is poised to side against the powerful jury threats of Tony and Jeremy. This looks like Tony miscalculated because even despite keeping Sarah onside he's now in trouble. It turns out Ben still wants to work with Tony for some reason, or at the very least is just feeding him potent information, but if Tony acquiesces and cuts Jeremy, he won't have the numbers at 7 even with Ben. Despite Ben personally being the one to alert Tony to this situation, Ben still wants to vote for Jeremy.

Tony just has Jeremy to confirm his vote at Tribal and somehow this leads to the entire Tribal melting down, Ben flipping, and Nick flipping to be safe for some reason. The new majority takes an unnecessary loss and out goes Kim. LOL?

Also worth noting that Tony keeps winning immunity and might not otherwise have been able to pull any of this off. It's way more fun than a Mike Holloway type run, though, because he's actively running votes at the same time. With an idol in hand here at 7 and fire at 4, Tony only needs to bridge two more TCs to strongarm his way to the end. Hmm

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 4, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

With an idol in hand here at 7 and fire at 4, Tony only needs to bridge two more TCs to strongarm his way to the end. Hmm

Three. He needs to survive final seven, six, six, and five.

I enjoyed doing the power rankings of who I think would win last season so I'm gonna bring it back. Anyone in a given tier would beat anyone in a tier below them if sitting with them in FTC. If people share a tier then I think it's too close to call (but higher means I think they have a slight edge). This accounts for getting to FTC in the first place, but doesn't assume big moves.

Tony

Jeremy
Tyson

Denise
Sophie

Michelle
Rob
Nick
Sarah

Any unlisted EoE returnee

Ben

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 4, 2020

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh right, I forgot the EoE returnee! I really don't see how Tony makes it through so many votes, then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Oh right, I forgot the EoE returnee! I really don't see how Tony makes it through so many votes, then.

Keep Ben and Jeremy off each other for the next vote to vote out Denise because of her power play against Sandra and decent underdog story. At 6 he finally gets rid of Jeremy. At 6 again he convinces people to vote out the EoE returnee because they've been able to build relationships with the jury. At 5 he idols.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Keep Ben and Jeremy off each other for the next vote to vote out Denise because of her power play against Sandra and decent underdog story. At 6 he finally gets rid of Jeremy. At 6 again he convinces people to vote out the EoE returnee because they've been able to build relationships with the jury. At 5 he idols.

Your lips to God’s ears

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just think the concept of "alliances" is moot this season. Its a lot of people trying to work with each other and only occasionally successfully forming a voting block to do it. Jeremy and Kim clearly wanted to work with each other for weeks but I don't think they ever voted with each other and wrote each other's names down. But like Denise seemed to want to work with Kim not seemed to not want to work with Jeremy later. Michelle wanted to work with Jeremy and Nick seems willing to work with Michelle but Nick seemed unwilling to work with Jeremy perhaps because he wanted to work with Ben who was dead set on getting Jeremy out. Its just a lot of complicated threads.

Its what Tony's pulled off so well here. He's setting everyone's agendas against each other and cutting their options. Sarah can't work with Sophie and Kim now. Jeremy can't work with Kim. Neither wants to work with Tony but they're trapped for options.

I could definitely see Denise being Tony's next target. She's enough of a threat and could still theoretically link up with people. Jeremy and Sarah are isolated and Ben, Nick, and Michelle all seem easy enough to move. That puts Denise in a lovely spot, and that's probably what Jeremy was trying to convincer her of in Tribal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Tony booting Sophie to cut off Sarah’s options was such an incredibly audacious play and I can’t believe there wasn’t more backlash for it