Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dudeabides posted:

Got my v600 this evening. Apparently you get a free copy of Silverfast SE because Epson's newest software doesn't have the Digital ICE technology they advertise on the box. I'll have to see the differences in the two now.

the most important setting is under color management, make sure to set it as the actual epson color management and not the silverfast one, which does all kinds of weird poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm still using an older version of Silverfast, which is totally fine for my purposes. My thoughts on DSLR scanning: it might be worthwhile for 35mm and, if you're digitizing C41, if you don't care too much about extra work in color correction. For medium and large formats, though, I get a lot more detail out of scans from my V700. Yes, stitching is a thing, but that's a bunch more work and doesn't always work perfectly, in my experience.

Wild EEPROM posted:

the most important setting is under color management, make sure to set it as the actual epson color management and not the silverfast one, which does all kinds of weird poo poo

I don't know if it applies to the V600, but yes, anecdotally it seems like the ICM profile Silverfast ships for the V800 seems to clip the blue channel a lot. You can change it so Silverfast uses the one Epson gives you instead. Make sure you install Epson Scan, then in Silverfast CMS settings in the options:

For transparency, make sure you use the film profile labeled EPSON and not one of the profiles labeled SF_T.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Well I own an enlarger now

Needs a clean but is working, has a condenser mixing boxfor 6x6 so I'll need to get one for 6x9 and a variable film holder. Only 1 lens worth using, a 50mm Rodenstock so I'll be limited to 35 for the time being but that's OK as it's what I want to work with.

e: Not a condenser, but a mixing box, for use with the colour head. With that head it doesn't use a condenser at all.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 22, 2020

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.

Megabound posted:

Well I own an enlarger now

Congrats! I use a Durst M601 and it's a good machine. You should be able to find the manual for yours online if you haven't already. Consider getting a new bulb: mine came with what looked like a household bulb from the 80's, and putting in a proper one made the light much more even. Durst has weird and similar names for the various components (sixtub, sixpla, setopla, sivocon, etc.) but the manual will tell you which ones would actually fit your enlarger. Lens boards are available in both 25mm and 39mm LTM thread sizes, and you’ll see the number in the model name. 39mm lenses are more common.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm still using an older version of Silverfast, which is totally fine for my purposes. My thoughts on DSLR scanning: it might be worthwhile for 35mm and, if you're digitizing C41, if you don't care too much about extra work in color correction. For medium and large formats, though, I get a lot more detail out of scans from my V700. Yes, stitching is a thing, but that's a bunch more work and doesn't always work perfectly, in my experience.

I don't know if it applies to the V600, but yes, anecdotally it seems like the ICM profile Silverfast ships for the V800 seems to clip the blue channel a lot. You can change it so Silverfast uses the one Epson gives you instead. Make sure you install Epson Scan, then in Silverfast CMS settings in the options:

For transparency, make sure you use the film profile labeled EPSON and not one of the profiles labeled SF_T.

I was looking for where to change this, but it looks like things are fixed in place because of N E G A F I X

It doesn't seem to give me the option to set so maybe they don't have the ability for the v600? I have Epson Scan installed as well.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

I was looking for where to change this, but it looks like things are fixed in place because of N E G A F I X

scan as positive, not negative, don't use negafix

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

scan as positive, not negative, don't use negafix

Invert in photoshop

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

or anywhere just don't leave your scans in the hands of negafix

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

or anywhere just don't leave your scans in the hands of negafix

I did a side by side just to see what it would look like and doing the inversions in Lightroom made it look soooo much better.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

Dudeabides posted:

It doesn't seem to give me the option to set so maybe they don't have the ability for the v600? I have Epson Scan installed as well.

Goddamn. So I've been scanning with Negafix turned on but as a 48bit raw, which still outputs a negative I take to photoshop and invert, then fight with to get the colours correct. I did a test scan after using the correct profile and the difference i night and day, provides a much easier file to work with.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Megabound posted:

Goddamn. So I've been scanning with Negafix turned on but as a 48bit raw, which still outputs a negative I take to photoshop and invert, then fight with to get the colours correct. I did a test scan after using the correct profile and the difference i night and day, provides a much easier file to work with.

Since scanning positives, I found the Epson profile for my scanner and things are looking definitely better. I've been spending my lockdown time rescanning my negatives and the difference is noticeable there as well.

I want to add to my medium format cameras. Should I go 6x7 or 6x4.5? Any suggestions? The Lubitel I got from Sauer takes decent pictures in 6x6 but I'm always trying to add to my collection.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what are you trying to achieve?

(buy a hasselblad or a pentax 67)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't regret buying either a GS645 (would buy a GF670 if I had the money) or a Pentax 67. GW690 i/ii/iii and GSW690 i/ii/iii are also pro-buys.

I do think that if you're going 645 you should have a justification for it, compactness being the most relevant one. The P67 105 f/2.4 does the superfast thing basically as well as the 645 bodies like Mamiya 645.

(if you own a 67, get eric hendrickson to put a split prism screen in it, best $100 I ever spent. he doesn't advertise it but he has them.)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

(if you own a 67, get eric hendrickson to put a split prism screen in it, best $100 I ever spent. he doesn't advertise it but he has them.)

i'm sending my pentax 67 back to eric hendrickson for the third time in the past 8 months and it's not to get a split prism installed

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

what are you trying to achieve?

(buy a hasselblad or a pentax 67)

Primarily I’d like to have an SLR that shoots 120 as well as something more rectangular.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I do think that if you're going 645 you should have a justification for it, compactness being the most relevant one. The P67 105 f/2.4 does the superfast thing basically as well as the 645 bodies like Mamiya 645.

Compactness would be a draw for me with 645

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I own a 645 for travel and is the only reason I'd get one. 16 frames and portability lend itself to coming overseas, but the size isn't a drastic departure from 35mm, still better tho. I'd go for a 6x7 if you want rectangular or 6x6 if you're interested in sqaure.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

There're very few good reasons to shoot 645 really, just go 6x7 if you want something rectangular. If you need a travel 6x7, just get a Makina 67 or a Fuji GF670.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Speaking of things for which there are few good reasons to do, would it be feasible to approximate the 70mm wide panorama format of an XPan with two 35mm cameras hhotchws up together side-by-side on a bracket with two threaded attachments, then scanning and aligning the two frames? Never mind that you can get a panoramic image by just cropping from a 6x7 or 6x9 120 camera.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I found a roll of exposed 35mm (Fuji Superia x-tra 400) that fell out of my bag in my car about 2-3 weeks ago. It's been mid 80s to 90s in the day here, so the car definitely hit 100. Is the roll ruined or since it's already exposed should it be fine?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I did post this in the Landscape threat; This was shot on Portra800 (120) and I was pleasantly surprised by the low level of grain.

I think this is now my default colour film.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Paper question, found someone selling near 200 sheets of photo paper (unopened Ilford Ilfospeed Silk, and Kodabromode) bought in 1980. Any chance this is still worth enlarging on? He's asking $15.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of things for which there are few good reasons to do, would it be feasible to approximate the 70mm wide panorama format of an XPan with two 35mm cameras hhotchws up together side-by-side on a bracket with two threaded attachments, then scanning and aligning the two frames? Never mind that you can get a panoramic image by just cropping from a 6x7 or 6x9 120 camera.

No, you’d be making a stereo camera, cool for other reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_camera

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

No, you’d be making a stereo camera, cool for other reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_camera

I've wanted a Nishika for the longest time but could never justify all the money it would cost me (paying in dollars, shipping and import taxes)... One day, one day!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The prices on those things were going nuts last time I looked.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I paid $40 on a new in box nishika to do the bulb mode and multi-exposure mods on it, what are they at now?

*Edit: Holy hell

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2020

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Oh my god I bought mine for TEN DOLLARS new in box in 2011 and still haven't shot it at all

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ansel autisms posted:

Oh my god I bought mine for TEN DOLLARS new in box in 2011 and still haven't shot it at all

New in box? People would be knifing each other over that poo poo on ebay.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah I also found a BNIB nishika around 2012 for next to nothing and I never used it once :wtc:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Some day my canon sure shot zoom 85 is gonna be worth like 500 bucks. You all just wait. Just need the right influencers to start carrying them around...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I tossed the box and kept the camera, collecting is for suckers who pay hundreds for a lovely gimmick camera

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

those suckers are paying off my autoloan

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a stereo camera with a pair of triplets that I need to get cleaned up sometime. Not a real Stereo Realist but a decent clone.

edit: it's a "Stereo Colorist"

https://butkus.org/chinon/stereo/stereo_colorist/stereo_colorist.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZh0Ra4zZU

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2020

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I saw a Nishika for sale here in one of the local second-hand camera outlets, it was almost $500 with no box and unknown working status. I really wanted a Sputnik when I was in Kyiv, which is basically two Lubitels jimmied together, but I never found a working one.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Anyone need a some minilabs?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Minilab-Noritsu-QSS-3701-RA-4/324154387796?hash=item4b791b6d54:g:ZAwAAOSwpeFerm1~

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

it's a RA-4 tho...

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

I asked in the buy/sell thread, but I'm doing some fixer-upper projects during my time of isolation and happed upon a Pentax 645 for dirt cheap. It doesn't have the grip however so if anyone knows someone looking to get rid of one or knows a place I can find one it would be greatly appreciated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not going to lie -- I don't want it, I don't need it, but I want to buy it just to see them ship this freight from Germany to Canada for $70 in 17 days.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Martytoof posted:

I'm not going to lie -- I don't want it, I don't need it, but I want to buy it just to see them ship this freight from Germany to Canada for $70 in 17 days.

It's "only contact", i.e. the same as buying "just the box" from an XBox or something, so they can do off-eBay sales and negotiations. For the actual minilab (linked in the description), they're asking €12,500 + shipping. If you bought the US-$50 auction, I'm sure they'd DHL a box of paperwork if you insisted.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 13, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I figured it was something dumb like that. Still ... :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Managed to not fully remove the remjet from some 35mm cine film I shot, such a pain in the arse. I love the convenience of having a bulk roll and making myself small cartridges (generally 12 to 18 shots) so that I don't have to wait so long to develop them and it's cheap, but I can almost never seem to get every last bit of remjet off.