Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I got a scowl and a raised middle finger from a guy in a truck for wearing a mask today. America sure is a cool place.

i bet there’s a lot of people who have that underlying “but what if it actually is a problem” that don’t like being reminded of the problem they’re desperately trying to ignore

Paradoxish posted:

lol holy poo poo our economy is going to loving crater to the center of the earth if we're seriously going to do this "reopen... no wait! SHUT IT DOWN!" thing over and over again

bet someone he knows personally who’s not doing so hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

I was talking to a sd county guy and all the testing capacity/ability they've built up over 40 days is like drive through poo poo rather than proactively going into places and testing all the time so it's just gonna keep happening lol

they are buffing contact tracing but still very lol w/r/t/ asymptomatics

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Also the president is very anti-mask and has made it clear that he considers wearing one a sign of weakness

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1256648867925446657

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"throw axes and drink beer"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh dang, from the replies to that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/opinonhaver/status/1256651269185232898

“no electoral college for consumption” is a good way to phrase it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
To applebee, or not to applebee's. That is the question

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I have had my eye on this doc for a long while, it's just slow to update. From what I can tell, that count is based on a fairly strict accounting of death certificates and I've watched it continually update for the pas couple of weeks. It has never always been a lot below the generally accepted CV death counts but it has gone up as the past couple of weeks have gone by, as well as the estimates of "expected deaths" - when I first started looking in on that doc those percentages were all below 90.

e: see the notes at the bottom of the table, it explains this
e: the stat that is probably the hardest to handwave away is the combined "Deaths with Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID-19, which is 90,000 (!)
and apparently CDC has figured they should try to counter that (handwaving away deaths "it's just the flu/pneumonia") to some degree, at least in this doc
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/pdf/covidview-05-01-2020.pdf

it's not an incredibly useful stat for deciding treatments but it very clearly shows some poo poo is real hosed up compared to historical norms, by showing all three of these as a single total it's much easier to make the point on a single graph

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 09:11 on May 3, 2020

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

nice of him to volunteer like that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Also the president is very anti-mask and has made it clear that he considers wearing one a sign of weakness

yeah there's already a pretty strong culture warrior "masks are for liberal pussies" thing going

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah there's already a pretty strong culture warrior "masks are for liberal pussies" thing going

When I was like 12 I became aware that like dumping oil and stuff was bad for the creek behind our house. Which I played in. Lots of trash and slicks etc. So one day I saw my dad pouring oil into the dirt and I said "could we do something different with the oil because it's killing stuff in the creek" and no poo poo he looked at me, grabbed another can of oil and poured more.

Conservatives are lunatics.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

His vanity won't allow it, even if it sets a precedent that will lead to many of his followers' deaths.

Drats.

MadJackal has issued a correction as of 09:27 on May 3, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

When I was like 12 I became aware that like dumping oil and stuff was bad for the creek behind our house. Which I played in. Lots of trash and slicks etc. So one day I saw my dad pouring oil into the dirt and I said "could we do something different with the oil because it's killing stuff in the creek" and no poo poo he looked at me, grabbed another can of oil and poured more.

Conservatives are lunatics.

conservatism is a mental illness

but like, the bad kind, instead of the good kind

im gunna guess there's something hosed up in their supramarginal gyrus

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Kappa_Kappa/status/1256686111218233345

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Flesh Forge posted:

It's gonna be hilarious when some businesses start requiring customers to wear masks. The asian grocery store in my area won't let customers shop there unless they put on the mask and disposable gloves that they provide at the entrance. No one really seems to care but that's probably because chuds avoid the store.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

overmind2000 posted:

It's gonna be hilarious when some businesses start requiring customers to wear masks. The asian grocery store in my area won't let customers shop there unless they put on the mask and disposable gloves that they provide at the entrance. No one really seems to care but that's probably because chuds avoid the store.

Applebee's will never take my freedom away :911:

fortunately California writ large already requires businesses to refuse customers that dont have masks, which is good, so its a universal rule no masks no service and gtfo

unfortunately making employees the arbiter of public health kinda sucks but whatever

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

The crazies in texas are lining up to watch movies in confined, close quarters again:

legit thought this was an airport at first until i read it was a movie theatre

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
michael tracy wakes up in a cold sweat every morning wishing he was charlie leduff, true heir to hunter thompsons throne

then he remembers maxine waters beat him up and jerks himself slowly bak to sleep reading twitter

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Korean Boomhauer posted:

legit thought this was an airport at first until i read it was a movie theatre

aint no difference to roni-chan

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's what happens when you shut down all exercise except going outside in Melbourne.

Wasn't even nice today.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

The crazies in texas are lining up to watch movies in confined, close quarters again:

just what in the gently caress is this

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Xaris posted:

Applebee's will never take my freedom away :911:

fortunately California writ large already requires businesses to refuse customers that dont have masks, which is good, so its a universal rule no masks no service and gtfo

unfortunately making employees the arbiter of public health kinda sucks but whatever

I live in South Carolina and unfortunately the only way we'd even try to approach California in that area is if large chunks of the state start dying. At least in the area around Charleston people by and large aren't plague yoloing like in Florida but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh I guess this was a conservative talking point today

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1256641587708342274

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

For something a little different forums user lungfish has just come off a 100,000 hour probe and started posting.

lungfish posted:

I was trying to post all this time but it wasn't working

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Here's what happens when you shut down all exercise except going outside in Melbourne.

Wasn't even nice today.

Do you have any idea what a normal non-roni Sunday is likely to see through there? Curious to see how it compares.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JNkappers/status/1256623445854560261

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

oh I guess this was a conservative talking point today

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1256641587708342274

This data lags by 1-2 weeks, as the disclaimer on top says. The US is currently at 67000 dead.

"COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks."

"Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death."

Lambert has issued a correction as of 09:45 on May 3, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

“no electoral college for consumption” is a good way to phrase it

its a very deep cut

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

if I were any of these people I would be busy getting insanely rich teaching people how to acquire this level of unshakeable self confidence

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh god, the American Stupid-20 virus is spreading to other countries, we need to shut it down before it kills us all!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Inceltown posted:

For something a little different forums user lungfish has just come off a 100,000 hour probe and started posting.

lol I remember that how old am I gently caress

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

CODChimera posted:

the economy is always about to implode but don't worry because it's actually invulnerable

how sure are we of this tho

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
good ol hootie

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

FAUXTON posted:

it's a cool dude seeing a movie in texas. not everyone is a slave to social pressure and media disinfo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FAUXTON posted:

Boy band haircut circa 1999

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lambert posted:

This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death."

e: for the more up-to-date but less strict count, check

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

it's about 1 day behind Worldometers

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 10:17 on May 3, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Like every stupid trend that originates in the US, anti-lockdown protests have also started to become a thing in Europe. Thanks America.

Luckily most people in Germany simply wear a mask for shopping and that's it. Otherwise the doorman politely asks them to wear one and they either do it then around and leave.

We have some idiots going to protests but we are also not allowed to openly strut around in public displaying symbols of our minority complex. I guess that helps. Oh and we have coherent politicians.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Der Meister posted:

lol I remember that how old am I gently caress

over 100,000 hours on this dead pay forums

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Xaris posted:

over 100,000 hours on this dead pay forums

.0001 cents per hour SA is an amazing deal truly one of the most luxurious and elegant deals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Hopper posted:

Like every stupid trend that originates in the US, anti-lockdown protests have also started to become a thing in Europe. Thanks America.

Luckily most people in Germany simply wear a mask for shopping and that's it. Otherwise the doorman politely asks them to wear one and they either do it then around and leave.

We have some idiots going to protests but we are also not allowed to openly strut around in public displaying symbols of our minority complex. I guess that helps. Oh and we have coherent politicians.

dont blame us for human nature

china stomped out all opposition

u guys are only getting a taste of freedum

nobody complains about the nice steady exchange rate our workers are buying in blood

lol but yah okay fair point on coherence

u should see my governor tho. a data driven dynamo