Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hopper posted:

I can't believe I even have to ask this, but do you think they will (try to) cover up any surges in cases? And is there even a chance of going back to lockdown?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hopper posted:

I can't believe I even have to ask this, but do you think they will (try to) cover up any surges in cases? And is there even a chance of going back to lockdown?
They might try, but they'll fail. The Chinese and Russians couldn't do it and didn't even really try, Trump administration and friends won't be able to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
for a real answer, some of the states will look at what happens and try to close er down but armed protestors will sit outside their houses or capitol buildings again until they open er up, while the free states will open er up now and then just pretend like the piles of bodies in the streets ecuador-style is how it always was every single flu season since forever

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hopper posted:

Florida is already hiding deaths, they're not going to ease up when it gets worse.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Ardennes posted:

You could argue it may be for the best, better to rip off the bandaid in one fell swoop and see the results than let it be piece-meal. The US is clearly on the trajectory for a second higher peak in either case.

appreciate the congrats

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hopper posted:

you can look at graphs of tests completed and see the testing strategy at work

individual states loving around with these is a bit harder to hide because the testing is being done by third party companies that operate at the national level, but testing capacity remains really flat. there's no consistency as to who gets tested (some places it's very easy with no symptoms, some places people have died of it after being denied testing multiple times). where it seems to me the shady poo poo is going on is more with case fatality rate, some states have extremely low % fatality rate and I don't see any reasonable explanations for that other than undercounting.

For countries with large numbers of cases, keep in mind most of the rest of the world is seeing CFR of 5-6 percent for the VERY GOOD responders, to 13-14 percent, so US states like TX or FL with large numbers of cases but 2-3% CFR are probably hiding bodies.

e: prefigured CFR along with other stats
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/04/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/tracking-coronavirus-u-s-data/

Inceltown posted:

Florida is already hiding deaths, they're not going to ease up when it gets worse.

and yeah florida is no-poo poo deliberately undercounting deaths and blocking county-level coroners from reporting local (larger) counts. probably other states are too but florida is for sure.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 13:01 on May 3, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1256760763638788098?s=19

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Folks dont worry, 70% of Americans support the lockdowns.

The other 30% are making all of the decisions and will probably get their way though, but that 70% is what you need to hang on to!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

where tf is hot mess mom and why are we not more horny for mess momes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/itsTAGofficial/status/1256918012298395648?s=19

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1256828639078838274

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Nashville residents travel to other counties to shop and eat posted:

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) — It was a beautiful Saturday, perfect for a meal on the patio or strolling shops, but not in Nashville just yet.

“We knew we could come out here, get a breath of fresh air, enjoy the scene, do a little shopping as well,” Ulysses Smith told News 2 as he headed into CoolSprings Galleria in Franklin.

“I was furloughed for three months as well so I’ve really been home,” said Paul Faust, who traveled from Green Hills with his a family for a dinner in Franklin.

It’s simple pleasures such as window shopping or having someone else refill your drink that makes a drive down the interstate worth it.

“To be able to sit and eat somewhere other than our own dinner table, just to be waited on, not have to do the dishes afterward,” Faust explained.

Many say they’re not worried about restaurants and stores social distancing tables and wearing proper protection, as well as people following CDC recommendations.

“You have to do what they ask you to do, whether it’s the face mask, the sanitizer, I’m in the truck so my wife has Lysol wipes and all,” Smith said.

While many businesses wait eagerly in Nashville, those like Casey King are just happy to be with family, celebrating events like her graduation from Lipscomb University.

“None of me and my family have been able to eat out in like two months, so just the fact that we’re all able to be together for one and then eat somewhere nice and get to celebrate me, even though I don’t get to actually walk across the stage, we still get to celebrate, so I’m grateful for that,” King told News 2.

Even if they have to sit at separate tables.

What who could have seen this coming

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ebola Roulette posted:

What who could have seen this coming

*raises paw*

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Here's my state's current roadmap to opening everything back up

prob wouldn't be too bad if we hadn't had +660 cases on Friday lol

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not having masks as mandatory in any stage is so stupid.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Hopper posted:

Not having masks as mandatory in any stage is so stupid.

I've been wearing mine when I go to the store, though I have to take my glasses off cuz I just have a homemade mask with no noseclip to keep from fogging up the glasses. We stopped by Menard's the other night cuz I needed a new knife for work after dropping mine somewhere in a ceiling void, and my wife wanted to look for some other veggies to plant on our balcony. Menard's is requiring everyone who enter wear a mask, and if you don't have one, you can get one from them for $1.

Then we went over to Meijer for groceries, and almost NOBODY was wearing a mask. And one of the Meijer employees was actually griping about Menard's making everyone wear them and said "can you imagine coming to work and having to wear that all day????"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Skypie posted:

that just seems kinda random no?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Skypie posted:

Wtf, that's less strict than Northern Territory Australia which has no active cases and zero deaths.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skypie posted:

im the distinction between “recommended” and “optional”

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This gave me a sensible chuckle last week seeing these stories one after another

1 hr ·

BREAKING: 26 new COVID-19 deaths were reported Tuesday, the biggest daily jump outside of a statistical anomaly last week.

4 mins ·

Gov. Mike Parson used hospitalization data Tuesday to make the case for why the state should proceed with reopening.

Also lol at there being more cases today than there's been in weeks

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Perhaps already addressed, but they are reporting using the U071 ICD-10 code only, which is the most recent Coronavirus specific code, yet only one Coronavirus code of several.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
lol going back to a gym anytime in may, you're going to 100% have like 6 guys with covid symptoms on day 1 saying they needed to get their workout in no matter what.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Blister posted:

lol going back to a gym anytime in may, you're going to 100% have like 6 guys with covid symptoms on day 1 saying they needed to get their workout in no matter what.

Probably planning on "sweating out" the virus through exercise.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I cant tell if states actually believe any of this poo poo or if they're just showing off for daddy trump.

Even an idiot kid learns not to touch a hot stove after the first go, but these people cant even put cause and effect together.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Skypie posted:

Illinois needs to Build the Wall. Our great lakes partner has betrayed us

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Lambert posted:

don't worry they wiped down the equipment and the gym staff made sure to sanitize everything

they didn't

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I live directly above a huge commercial gym and have been so happy to sleep in these last few months. Just hope they stay closed until October when I can move out. Come on roni.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lambert posted:

some guy in wuhan tried that approach and ended up with muscular dystrophy because heavy exercise depresses immunity and his muscles got a dose of the corona as well

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

This gave me a sensible chuckle last week seeing these stories one after another

1 hr ·

BREAKING: 26 new COVID-19 deaths were reported Tuesday, the biggest daily jump outside of a statistical anomaly last week.

4 mins ·

Gov. Mike Parson used hospitalization data Tuesday to make the case for why the state should proceed with reopening.

Also lol at there being more cases today than there's been in weeks

lmao how US states gave up after just on month, especially after all the angry Chud rallies and also crying from small business owners how workers should be forced back to work.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

lmao, did you tell him there is no cure for being a goon?

What????? Oh no!!!!!!! :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blister posted:

Just :lol: if you think my goon rear end is doing anything social before Halloween.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

at least indianas timeline is long enough that they can notice the surge of preventable roni deaths and change course

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
What is this zeitgeist that has declared victory over the roni? It's the weather, isn't it?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

some guy in wuhan tried that approach and ended up with muscular dystrophy because heavy exercise depresses immunity and his muscles got a dose of the corona as well

Can you link this? It's literally the opposite of what modern science is saying. The "exercise decreases immunity" concept doesn't actually have a strong base of evidence to support it

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1744666X.2019.1548933

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Good job boys, see you next week. *claps dust from hands*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

What is this zeitgeist that has declared victory over the roni? It's the weather, isn't it?

trump was mad about it in early April and told every ti open up and this is the result

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Some gym in my area is advertising that they have uv lamps that will run while people work out to keep everything clean

Either they do nothing or there's gonna be a bunch of crispy gym rats lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Some gym in my area is advertising that they have uv lamps that will run while people work out to keep everything clean

Either they do nothing or there's gonna be a bunch of crispy gym rats lol

Theyre going to fry their eyeballs. Don't ask me how I know this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Skypie posted:

Church fully open...Social gatherings of 25 or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

the White House team embraced the IHME model which initially predicted about 60k deaths and once we crossed that mark a whole bunch of people started talking like everything was over with, plus a lot of the anti quarantine protesters waved guns around