Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Earth Bump, the mightiest of spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Earth Bump, the mightiest of spells

being able to trip people on a whim is a pretty powerful heel move tbh

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Katarina was too far away to prevent Maria's tragic backstory from taking its full course, but it matters not in the long term. There's no emotional issue strong enough to survive being smothered under an unfathomably dense pile of dirt.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Righto thoughts on the latest episode:

OK so while Catarina was very clearly thinking of the Bad Ends her Fortune Lover version got it's also far more likely that what all those girls heard it as "Mess with Maria and I will use my vast power as one of the top noble families in this country to ruin your life." Which is hilarious how she sometimes slips into Bad Guy Mode.

Lmao at Catarina's dense heteronormativity. Like, yes, they know what kind of "like" you're talking about.

I can't beleive Maria's mother just approved of her daughter marrying Catarina.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

tbf she's dense in regards to...everything, really

I mean she's still metagaming far beyond the point that it's ceased to be necessary.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not even sure it's heteronormativity, so much as her not realising she can have a romance too. It would be entirely in-character to have the same reaction to the guys.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

Whoa! I hadn't gotta to that part yet! :mad:
Now that I'm in the mood to be nasty, here's another spoiler for you, buster! Her tummy gets upset easily due to her poor dietary habits.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Tenebrais posted:

I'm not even sure it's heteronormativity, so much as her not realising she can have a romance too. It would be entirely in-character to have the same reaction to the guys.

Definitely this. She just flat out is thinking the guys are not actually into her because that is how the game went. Just extremely dense in that she doesn't really get that people don't view her exactly as the villainess from Fortune Lover.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What I like is that this denseness is all apparently Katarina's, not her past life's (or at least, not totally her past life's); the spinoff manga implies that even as her evil self, she was this dumb. It's just that Good!Katarina is less self-centered than her old self was.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

That's the thing with villainess characters. They're never particularly bright, just rich and assholish. Katarina just showed up late when they were handing out assholishness.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommissarMega posted:

What I like is that this denseness is all apparently Katarina's, not her past life's (or at least, not totally her past life's); the spinoff manga implies that even as her evil self, she was this dumb. It's just that Good!Katarina is less self-centered than her old self was.

I dunno, past life her was an otaku, which kinda implies a lack of social awareness if not outright denseness. I dunno about in the manga (and please don't post this), but so far she hasn't made any of past life her being romantically into anyone who wasn't made of pixels.

But yep, her one weird trick to hacking the game is just to be a decent human to the people around her.

So one interesting thing that came up in this episode is that magic apparently has a strong hereditary component to it. That means that nobles don't just have to produce more heirs, they also have to produce more magic users. The series has been pretty gay so far. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the difficulties of being gay in a world where the characters are all expected to breed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i mean a noble marrying someone for political reasons and then having a secret lover on the side isnt exactly uncommon.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The one bad end Katarina can't avoid, Motherina's Wrath.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, dogs having it out for her.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Katarina's spent most of her life terrified that if she screws up always keeping her friends happy with her, they'll all turn on her and abandon/try to kill her, and she's incapable of seeing that they all sincerely love her and wouldn't do that to her.

:smith:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So one interesting thing that came up in this episode is that magic apparently has a strong hereditary component to it. That means that nobles don't just have to produce more heirs, they also have to produce more magic users. The series has been pretty gay so far. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the difficulties of being gay in a world where the characters are all expected to breed.

I know elemental magic systems are kinda generic as is, but it sort of tickles me just how easily Fortune Lover's world would fit into Familiar of Zero's. Just swap Light for Void, the early renaissance magical aristocracy theme is otherwise right there. I think Motherina and Karin would be friends.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oddly enough. It actually fits the magic system from Babylon 5's space wizards really well, aside from needing technology and alien creature implants.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something interesting to me is that Katarina never went "Oh shoot! I stole [X]'s thunder by visiting Maria instead!" It kind of implied that none of the love interests in Fortune Lover went on that trip and saw what Maria's home life was like, or got her mom's blessing.

I also liked how Keith was the one who got affected by those girls trying to gossip about whether Maria was actually some noble's illegitimate child. His reaction made a lot of sense, considering his backstory and all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just realized Shouta Aoi is singing the ED.

The song being called BAD END makes it better considering what happens to him in Gal & Dino.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Something interesting to me is that Katarina never went "Oh shoot! I stole [X]'s thunder by visiting Maria instead!" It kind of implied that none of the love interests in Fortune Lover went on that trip and saw what Maria's home life was like, or got her mom's blessing.

I also liked how Keith was the one who got affected by those girls trying to gossip about whether Maria was actually some noble's illegitimate child. His reaction made a lot of sense, considering his backstory and all.

On the one hand, it could have happened on Keith's route - he was there, after all.

On the other hand she only went there at all because she was visiting the nearby farms, which is a distinctly Katarina thing to do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just realized Shouta Aoi is singing the ED.

The song being called BAD END makes it better considering what happens to him in Gal & Dino.
Yeah, Shouta Aoi has a very distinct, high-pitched voice. Sorta like Ayumu Murase (Iruma-kun, Hinata in Haikyuu!!), and it's also the main voice he uses for singing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Katarina didn't seem to be at all familiar with Maria's home life or circumstances so I'd guess that never comes up when playing Fortune Lover. In the game the days off are probably used to go on dates with the romantic interests, but since our beloved dunderhead unwittingly stole all of the romance flags Maria ends up heading home instead.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poor, long suffering Keith. Can't do anything to stop his idiot sister from owning herself.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr Pepper posted:

Righto thoughts on the latest episode:

OK so while Catarina was very clearly thinking of the Bad Ends her Fortune Lover version got it's also far more likely that what all those girls heard it as "Mess with Maria and I will use my vast power as one of the top noble families in this country to ruin your life." Which is hilarious how she sometimes slips into Bad Guy Mode.

Lmao at Catarina's dense heteronormativity. Like, yes, they know what kind of "like" you're talking about.

I can't beleive Maria's mother just approved of her daughter marrying Catarina.

Bakarina probably doesn't even realize the implications of One of the Most Important People in the Country saying she'll ruin them. She's the fiancee of a prince and daughter of a duke; legit someone you don't want to piss off. At least, if she wasn't so nice and also dense.

Sair
May 11, 2007

She's gonna set herself up as the villain for an entirely different group of people.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm sad that the secret weapon project "Realistic Snake" appears to be a manga-only DLC. Seems like that has the best chance of changing Katarina's future.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bakarina/Metal Gear crossover when

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lossthief/status/1254297025375584256?s=21

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2020

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean Keith was adopted explicitly to give the Claes family an heir after Catarina was engaged to Geordo and thus would be moving up to the Royal family.

Which would mean not blood related heirs are probably not a problem. So unless stated otherwise I'm going to assume gay nobles adopt and Catarina has just completely missed that. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If nothing else, the book Catarina was keen on in the third episode was a romance story between a noblewoman and a commoner girl. And it only got called out as trashy for being a romance novel.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

If nothing else, the book Catarina was keen on in the third episode was a romance story between a noblewoman and a commoner girl. And it only got called out as trashy for being a romance novel.

the big goof there is that catarina goes on about how its a beautiful friendship between these two and then the maid says "oh, you love that romance novel huh"

truly the sky's densest star

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:same:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
That assumes she would ever make that realization which you know what I don't think is possible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean Keith was adopted explicitly to give the Claes family an heir after Catarina was engaged to Geordo and thus would be moving up to the Royal family.

Which would mean not blood related heirs are probably not a problem. So unless stated otherwise I'm going to assume gay nobles adopt and Catarina has just completely missed that. :v:

I think cuffs was talking about how the nobles are supposed to breed more magic users; maybe I'm worse at Biology than I thought, but I was under the impression that gay couples couldn't have children :v:

EDIT: Biologically speaking, I mean.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 5, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

earth bump coming to trip your rear end

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

That assumes she would ever make that realization which you know what I don't think is possible.

Catarina: Wait...... does this mean Maria likes me?
Maria, standing at the altar, ready to recite her vows:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tenebrais posted:

Catarina: Wait...... does this mean Maria likes me?
Maria Bakarina's entire harem, standing at the altar, ready to recite her their vows:

Fixed, because you know this is the only way the nation doesn't descend into civil war :v:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
The true Fire Emblem Bakarina crossover would be about a war caused by every army warring over Catarina's hand in marriage, while you play on Catarina's side trying to decipher just what caused all this fighting in the first place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Black Mage Knight posted:

The true Fire Emblem Bakarina crossover would be about a war caused by every army warring over Catarina's hand in marriage, while you play on Catarina's side trying to decipher just what caused all this fighting in the first place.

And end up fighting for her hand in marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

If the OP is any indication, even her previous life was like this:

Move along, nothing to see here. Just two friends having a nice platonic walk on the beach.