Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Woofer posted:

I know China does a bunch of manipulating in their economy but wouldn’t tanking our economy also tank their economy and also tank a bunch of other economies

it seems like we are kind of married economically and a divorce would only kill everyone.

I have no idea what I’m talking about I hated economics in college.

china has the will to do poo poo like weld unruly sick people in their houses and distribute food/supplies to quarantined workers, when it comes to economic disruption they are infinitely better prepared for that kind of poo poo than the US is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Woofer posted:

I had tickets to see Celine Dion in March and also Motley Crue in August and since the concerts are just postponed as of now I can’t get my money back :(

you shouldnt have trouble scalping these to a boomer death cultist

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html

This article where the NYT spends like a thousand words going "scientists have no idea why the Roni spreads or doesn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" isn't really giving me the reassuring feelings this morning.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

if we just all come out and call this pandemic the wuhan virus it will stop being a pandemic and we can stop social distancing and we can go to war

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I went to see Opeth in early March and I’ll be forever grateful roni allowed that

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

mrmcd posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html

This article where the NYT spends like a thousand words going "scientists have no idea why the Roni spreads or doesn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" isn't really giving me the reassuring feelings this morning.

BCG vaccines and Nicotine gum will save us

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Plaguemrica

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Woofer posted:

I had tickets to see Celine Dion in March and also Motley Crue in August and since the concerts are just postponed as of now I can’t get my money back :(

Which one has top billing

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
just lmao at the US

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

pyf currently still scheduled concert:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

very disrespectful of this virus to show up when the weather got nice

lol just imagine the sheer crying and wailing that would've happened if this virus showed up in, say, early November and we shut down during peak shopping/restaurant season

also the sheer amount of moronic hamburger-brained people who would insist on seeing their families anyway for Thanksgiving and Christmas

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

ChristsDickWorship posted:

There are several fests scheduled for Sept and October that are still selling tickets and booking. Lol

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
U.S. Beef Output Is Down Way More Than Shutdowns Suggest

quote:

American beef output is down a lot more than plant closures would have you believe -- a sign that slowdowns at facilities will continue to keep meat supplies tight even when some production lines reopen.

Cattle slaughter dropped 37% this week from a year ago, U.S. Department of Agriculture data show. That far outstrips the 10% to 15% in capacity that’s been halted with meat plants closed after coronavirus outbreaks among employees. Hog slaughter was down 35%, also topping the shutdown figure of 25% to 30%.

And to think even spammers were talking themselves into the idea that there wouldn't be meat shortages lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol just imagine the sheer crying and wailing that would've happened if this virus showed up in, say, early November and we shut down during peak shopping/restaurant season

that likely would have ended retail as we know it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trump threatened to default on the debt to china because of the virus too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They saw what it would take to deal with the virus; just a little bit of a social safety net and the government taking a bit of control of some sectors of the economy for a little while. And they immediately said no. Better that people die.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

And to think even spammers were talking themselves into the idea that there wouldn't be meat shortages lmao

Good. Everybody should stop eating beef anyway

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
End meat consumption altogether

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
At the very least holy poo poo stop eating beef

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

also the sheer amount of moronic hamburger-brained people who would insist on seeing their families anyway for Thanksgiving and Christmas

we had better hope that we get poo poo under control by autumn because at least half the states will refuse to cancel/delay the new school year, thanksgiving will prob mean huge gatherings no matter what guidelines are in place, and capital is gonna prybar the stores open for the xmas selling season if they have to do a business plot to make it happen

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I will not stop meat

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

You got a problem with that?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

shake hands with beef

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

oh no what will Americans do with restricted grocery options, this is compeletely unprecedented unless you lived in the 70s

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Trump threatened to default on the debt to china because of the virus too

china has all the manufacturing power that the US has been frantically trying to get rid of since the end of WWII, the US needs them way more than the reverse. US economy is going to disembowel itself in the next year anyway and China is probably already figuring out wtf to do about that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

You got a problem with that?

it should say YO rear end in a top hat,

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

At the very least holy poo poo stop eating beef

What we should actually do is make it mandatory to have it grass fed which will legitimately make it better for you, cut down on cow farts and cut consumption.
Corn fed beef is bad for you, cows and the environment.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Squizzle posted:

it should say YO rear end in a top hat,

:hmmyes:

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lawman 0 posted:

What we should actually do is make it mandatory to have it grass fed which will legitimately make it better for you, cut down on cow farts and cut consumption.
Corn fed beef is bad for you, cows and the environment.

Americans: muh hamburgers, muh beef

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I've got tickets to a show at Red Rocks in late June, lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

china has the will to do poo poo like weld unruly sick people in their houses and distribute food/supplies to quarantined workers, when it comes to economic disruption they are infinitely better prepared for that kind of poo poo than the US is.

Chinese people actually consistently wore masks in public without screaming about "My Freedoms" / "Nazi Behavior!"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yeah, I'm still employed and as long as my wife and I don't get laid off at the same time we'd be able to pay the mortgage indefinitely as long as we paired to the bone basically everywhere else (because we bought well below what the bank would have given us) which means we are in a better spot than 90% of the country and we've still closed our spending to basically everything but food and basic household stuff.

The economy is hosed if we try the trickle down 'cut payroll' taxes poo poo. The only thing that is gonna get me to spend money is confidence that I'll have income going forward.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Apraxin posted:

lots of negative feelings in the thread this morning, how about an inspirational quote/fanfic to chase those blues away?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

What the flying gently caress lmao

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/rewkang/status/1256608726586286081?s=21

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I know someone who lives in one of the hardest hit counties in Iowa who insists on taking their 90 some year old dad on a road trip to one of the counties that is open so he can get out of the house :bang:

I seriously have to stop myself from saying "just hold a pillow over his face it'll be quicker". Although this person is actually good hearted in so many other ways they just don't understand the danger so I couldn't bring myself to say it :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mackers posted:

What the flying gently caress lmao

trump believes he can say things and they become real, he genuinely believes in his brain that when he says that poo poo it will come true and he's trying to help.
e: when he says inject bleach or drink fishbowl cleaner, he really sincerely was trying to help :shrug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, I'm still employed and as long as my wife and I don't get laid off at the same time we'd be able to pay the mortgage indefinitely as long as we paired to the bone basically everywhere else (because we bought well below what the bank would have given us) which means we are in a better spot than 90% of the country and we've still closed our spending to basically everything but food and basic household stuff.

The economy is hosed if we try the trickle down 'cut payroll' taxes poo poo. The only thing that is gonna get me to spend money is confidence that I'll have income going forward.

Same. I'm just sitting in the house and buying necessities. The only unnecessary expenses I have are weed and booze and they help with the whole "terror" thing.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Apraxin posted:

lots of negative feelings in the thread this morning, how about an inspirational quote/fanfic to chase those blues away?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

America rose from this death and destruction and then fell back down again.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get to go to my yearly people watching concert

I always get to see the coolest tattoos on old leather at these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol, america mumbled im up im up whole flailing at the snooze button