Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pollyanna posted:

Only if you agree that Aerith and Tifa belong together

Sorry the Remake confirms the one true canon of the Aerith/Tifa/Cloud triad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In both the original and Remake, ending up outside of Midgar just seemed to be the end result of the bike chase (well, for the remake you can throw in one interdimensional kerfluffle too, but they wound up in the same place). Then Cloud was all "I'm going this way" and everyone else was like "Kay"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cenen posted:

Who was the guy in the bed at the end, was that Biggs? He died in the original right? I haven’t played the original in over a decade but didn’t the plate actually just fall straight down intact and pancaked everything underneath? Even during the plate cutscene I was super confused why it fell in bits and pieces but then all of a sudden was intact when you actually had to climb through it in the remake. I guess there were the extreme edges that didn’t get super smushed but that just seems like a half assed excuse. Also why did the crew leave Midgar? I guess the in game explanation is that they are going to hunt Sephiroth because he gives off Frankenstein’s monster vibes but why did they leave in the original? Maybe I was a dumbass 7yo but I remember just thinking that oh the giant remains of the plate block the entrance back into Midgar, better just follow the trail away since I can’t go back in and taking everything that happened after for granted.

Yes, that was Biggs at the end and yes, he died in the original.

The group still climbs up to the plate in the original. Only a section of the plate falls--Sector 7--and the group climbs up to the top of the plate from the edge of Sector 6.

The crew left Midgar for essentially the same reason in the original: they end up there after the big bike chase. In the original it takes a little longer for everyone to go "okay let's chase Sephiroth"--Cloud says they should meet up in the nearby village of Kalm, and they talk about Sephiroth there and decide to go after him--but it's basically the same there.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Ok this all makes a lot more sense now. Calling it that we awkwardly run into Biggs in Junon and everyone says hey and then he stands on some street corner for the rest of the game and if you talk to him he says something like “good luck in the fight guys!”
If they write real good he would show up during to the raid to try and help and then get yeeted by the whispers like Wedge.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whispers are gone now, so the story has the freedom to go off the rails if it so chooses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Yes, that was Biggs at the end and yes, he died in the original.

The group still climbs up to the plate in the original. Only a section of the plate falls--Sector 7--and the group climbs up to the top of the plate from the edge of Sector 6.

The crew left Midgar for essentially the same reason in the original: they end up there after the big bike chase. In the original it takes a little longer for everyone to go "okay let's chase Sephiroth"--Cloud says they should meet up in the nearby village of Kalm, and they talk about Sephiroth there and decide to go after him--but it's basically the same there.

Yeah honestly 7R ends in kind of an awkward spot. In OG, Cloud is like "Sephiroth's a bigger problem than Shinra, trust me." and then explains why he thinks that like, five minutes later in the next town over. In 7R you get Aerith saying the same thing but then the game just ends so you never get her explanation of why.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've gotten a decent way into disc 2 in my replay and I honestly hope the remake is at least 4 parts now. Part 2 is going to be a little awkward, no way around that, but if part three is temple of the ancients/city of the ancients/northern crater, that's a hell of a three-act story. And it gives part 4 an insane cold open with Tifa and Barret in chains, cloud missing, meteor hanging in the sky, and the weapons rampaging around

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 3, 2020

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
If the whispers attacked Wedge did that mean he was actually going to make a massive change or was it more they saw him where he was supposed to be and were taking absolutely zero chances?

I don’t believe the whispers are super gone, just severely beaten back by Sephiroth and the crew and they will still make appearances but (hopefully) way less and maybe they don’t do as a good a job when/if they do show up.

Also did anyone else laugh when Sephiroth “jumped” on the helipad but kind of lazily single digit frames of animation floated away like something you would see in a movie production logo opener and Cloud just stared at how dumb it looked.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 3, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bet Biggs will be in the next parts. Or maybe when you get an airship he joins up again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cheetah7071 posted:

I've gotten a decent way into disc 2 in my replay and I honestly hope the remake is at least 4 parts now. Part 2 is going to be a little awkward, no way around that, but if part three is temple of the ancients/city of the ancients/northern crater, that's a hell of a three-act story. And it gives part 4 an insane cold open with Tifa and Barret in chains, cloud missing, meteor hanging in the sky, and the weapons rampaging around

Having just finished my replay, I would expect them to condense Kalm-to-Temple into the rest of the disc 1 stuff for the next part. There's a lot of empty space between Kalm and Temple of the Ancients, mostly when you're running around in the overworld, and during that part of my replay I got really impatient and a little bored. I could easily see the rest of the story up until the end of North Crater taking another 40 hours, there's more than enough to fill it chock full of good stuff.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

precision posted:

I bet Biggs will be in the next parts. Or maybe when you get an airship he joins up again.

Biggs shows up waaaay later in the series in one of the bigger set piece fights in a cutscene and mag dumps his gun into some enemies face either killing a smaller enemy or doing nothing to a larger one before he is unceremoniously one shotted by a prominent evil NPC that you then defeat in a fight at the end of the cutscene.
He lives long enough to give a few parting words after the fight.

I would prefer chill airship Biggs staying alive and hanging around the chocobo stables telling us good luck in the fight though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m calling Biggs gets sucked into the Shinra propaganda machine, and you end up fighting him during the raid on Midgar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Highwind will be where we collect unnecessary NPCs with no real role in the plot like Leslie and Kyrie

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

anakha posted:

You know his rear end is leaving you for good once you get to Gold Saucer.

I am looking forward to seeing Gold Saucer in Remake glory so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhpsxV8XUg

Also just seeing this part of the game in OG, it has a lot of potential upside for letting things expand a little, Junon and Costa del Sol are basically fine but Gold Saucer 1 goes:

Barret flashback -> Aerith "Let's have fun :) " Barret: "gently caress off" -> Cait Sith joins for ??? reasons -> Mass murder at Gold Saucer, Get sent to prison -> Fight Dyne -> Chocobo race for freedom

And if you don't mess around with any minigames this is all in like 30-40 min.

Edit: like seriously there's huge whiplash where Barret tells the story of how his wife and almost everyone he knew died because of his foolishness, you take the tram and then Aerith is like "I LOVE THIS LET'S GO ON ALL THE RIDES LIGHTEN UP BARRET"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 3, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One reason I think making Temple of the ancients the beginning of part 3 instead of the end of part 2 could work is that the finale of part 2 then becomes Wutai, which they've put a lot of effort into aggrandizing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Chocobo race for freedom

esther: "if you want to earn your ticket out of here, you'll have to beat the current champ. he showed up just a little while ago. and he's a SOLDIER, just like you!"
cloud: "what? that doesn't make any...oh no"
roche, emerging from the shadows: "ohhhhhhhhhh yes"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pollyanna posted:

Whispers are gone now, so the story has the freedom to go off the rails if it so chooses.

I'd venture to guess it's not going to though. My prediction is that the rest of the story will go "off the rails" about the same amount as this game did. Those that feel like "Oh it's going to go in completely different directions" will be disappointed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can make a chocobo drift... they have the technology...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I cant wait for the moogle visual novel arcade game in HD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

I'd venture to guess it's not going to though. My prediction is that the rest of the story will go "off the rails" about the same amount as this game did. Those that feel like "Oh it's going to go in completely different directions" will be disappointed.

I feel like it's either going to go completely Kingdom Hearts, or literally nothing will change. I don't see any middle ground here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mordiceius posted:

If the rest of the story doesn't change in a meaningful manner, they'll disappoint the people looking forward to new developments in the ff7 story, and they'll also have already disappointed the people who wanted the exact same story, because they'll never win them back after the ending to this game. They're hosed if they don't change it, cause now everyone's pissed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One minor change I hope for is that in the original, theres a lot of make reactors we pass right by without exploding

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
As far as sales go, ff7r seems to have sold pretty well at 3.5 million units in the first three days. However, not as good as ff15, which had 5 million in its first day.

I would have expected better than that. It's still a hit but not quite the level it should've been given its pedigree.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

As far as sales go, ff7r seems to have sold pretty well at 3.5 million units in the first three days. However, not as good as ff15, which had 5 million in its first day.

I would have expected better than that. It's still a hit but not quite the level it should've been given its pedigree.

I wonder if a global pandemic and the utter destruction of supply chains and retail had anything to do with that :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh yeah I'm gonna say that selling 3.5 during a pandemic is probably like selling 7 normally.

You gotta keep in mind, a LOT of people still don't buy digital

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah honestly 7R ends in kind of an awkward spot. In OG, Cloud is like "Sephiroth's a bigger problem than Shinra, trust me." and then explains why he thinks that like, five minutes later in the next town over. In 7R you get Aerith saying the same thing but then the game just ends so you never get her explanation of why.

This is my biggest issue with the ending. Other than the fact that we just had a fight with the guy it really doesn't feel like there's any reason to go looking for him other than 'that's what happens in FF7'. They needed the context you get from Kalm to make it an impactful cliffhanger for new players.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

This is my biggest issue with the ending. Other than the fact that we just had a fight with the guy it really doesn't feel like there's any reason to go looking for him other than 'that's what happens in FF7'. They needed the context you get from Kalm to make it an impactful cliffhanger for new players.

I wonder if it would have been better to move the Nibelheim flashback to within Midgar? Not sure where you could have put it, but it may have helped.

I'm still betting the next game will start in the middle of the flashback though. Like, the first thing you see when starting the game is Cloud and Sephiroth on the truck to town.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if a global pandemic and the utter destruction of supply chains and retail had anything to do with that :confused:

Didn’t animal crossing do the best numbers ever during a pandemic?

But also FF15 was multi platform

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn’t animal crossing do the best numbers ever during a pandemic?

But also FF15 was multi platform

AC came out mid-March, 7R game out 20 days later. That’s a lot of time in a pandemic.

Whatever, if you guys don’t like it, more for me, then.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

3.5M in first three days was a new record for a PS4 exclusive, it's not just "good for a pandemic" it's straight up really good

Veib fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 3, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pollyanna posted:

If the rest of the story doesn't change in a meaningful manner, they'll disappoint the people looking forward to new developments in the ff7 story, and they'll also have already disappointed the people who wanted the exact same story, because they'll never win them back after the ending to this game. They're hosed if they don't change it, cause now everyone's pissed.

I don't think it's going to be the exact same story. FF7R isn't the exact same story. But I'm starting to believe that FF7R does really set the tone for the rest of the content. An example of what I mean by this: I could see a situation where Aerith still dies at the Temple of the Ancients but it's essentially built up that she knew she would die there, she knew she had to die there, but just kept it a secret from everyone else. Maybe we find some journal or see a flashback after the fact where she reveals she knew she would die or something.

I just don't think it's going to be a situation where the next two games diverge significantly from the plot of the original. We'll still go to all (or at least most) of the same locations for the same reasons.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth flying to the top of the Shinra building is great when you realize that he only did it so Cloud would climb up after him and see him immediately jump off. There was literally no point to it other than loving with Cloud!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sephiroth was pulling the exact sort of flirting Aerith was earlier. "Cloud, you're way ahead of me! Well fine, I'm going to run ahead of *you* now! See how you like it, baka!"

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Was that Marco’s body he was holding? Was Marco in the original? Why is Marco in the game at all other than SOLDIERS get the brain worms from the mako but Cloud ~doesn’t~.

Don’t mind me I’m just trundling through this chat like like a SOLIDER trundles through a children’s makeshift fort that buffers a monster nest.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's literally the fastest selling PS4 game and managed this feat in the middle of a crippling pandemic, what the gently caress man. Not even god of war, spiderman or uncharted sold as much in the first three days. Give me some of your mushrooms buddy

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cenen posted:

Was that Marco’s body he was holding? Was Marco in the original? Why is Marco in the game at all other than SOLDIERS get the brain worms from the mako but Cloud ~doesn’t~.

no, it was Jenova's body.

Marco was SORT OF in the original in that he's one of the men with number tattoos. They were in the original but none of them had names.

The tattooed men are in the game because they're infected with Jenova and act as vessels and minions for it and Sephiroth. Sephiroth basically manifests through them as I understand it.

also if you think cloud doesn't have brainworms then oh boy are you in for a surprise

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cenen posted:

Don’t mind me I’m just trundling through this chat like like a SOLIDER trundles through a children’s makeshift fort that buffers a monster nest.

Marco is one of the numbered Sephiroth clones. They exist in the original, and are distinct from SOLDIER. Almost every time you see Sephiroth, it's one of the numbered clones taking on his appearance. This is, again, same as the original. They use Jenova's body parts to turn into the Jenova monsters. When you beat Jenova Dreamwweaver, the clone turned back into his original form, and then another Sephiroth clone stepped forward and picked up Jenova's body to make his escape with it. This was new of course because Dreamweaver wasn't even in the original, but that full sequence of events could have happened. It requires no change to how the story is set up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF7 is a fairly straightforward story made more confusing by the localization playing extremely fast and loose with the word "clone" to describe things that aren't really clones

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

FF7 is a fairly straightforward story made more confusing by the localization playing extremely fast and loose with the word "clone" to describe things that aren't really clones

there isn't really a single word that describes the concept and I'm pretty sure the word they used in japanese has the same problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Flunky came sorta close, but I think "thrall" would work a little better.