Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I can't laugh at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HookedOnChthonics posted:

(though I thought they did get locomotives? IDK).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALCO_RSD-1

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Enjoyed the episode; but the Soviets didn't need lend-lease war-trains; they had plenty of their own (though I thought they did get locomotives? IDK).

The historical TL;DR is that the Soviets had a lot of trains and rolling stock, but during the war they switched most of their rail production to tanks and other fighting vehicles so lend-lease let them cover some of losses more easily. They got a bunch of Alco RSD-1s and liked them enough to copy the design for their own production.

Stalin's train to the Potsdam was hauled by a RSD-1 modified for Soviet broad gauge.

What was more important was USATC (US Army Transportation Corps) operations on the Trans-Iranian corridor, which was the safe but grueling southern route for lend-lease to enter the Soviet Union. USATC took over operations from the British (who had overthrown the Iranian govt in 1941 in a joint operation with the Soviets) and massively expanded operations with new track, locomotives and rolling stock. The RSDs were particular important here because the long tunnels and lack of water made steam operations difficult. Operations expanded from ~1k tons per day in 1942 to a peak of ~6k tons per day in 1944.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
One thing to remember about the Soviet Union, they never had a problem adopting (and paying off) Western especially American equipment/machinery/vehicles at any point and regularly did so. It wasn't like the Soviets ever turned their nose up at it, and the entire leadership was always for it.

The reason the Soviets turned to local production in the mid-1930s is they literally ran out of money and how to reverse-engineer and slowly develop their own designs.

If anything Soviet history is very straight forward...unless you only know it from books in English available in American/British books stores.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Locos were definitely a big part of aid to the Soviets but the really big thing was trucks, without which a lot of Soviet offensives would have broken down a lot earlier

OTOH aid to the Soviets didn't really begin in earnest until after the Germans failed to take Moscow at which point it's unlikely they could have won the war anyway (and probably makes it more like the war goes 18 months longer and Berlin eats a nuke)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I love that blackbird so much

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ohhh gently caress yeah Tenerife episode, this is gonna be hype

hope they brought in a guest who actually knows how planes work

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

? whats to know, they are trains but flying

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
why didn't they just pull up harder?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
...That plane is literally a fuckin' ute isn't it, person carrier that gets mangled into a cargo carrier.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gotta say, the image of 747s taxiing around hunting scrabs is appealing.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Somebody has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Apr 9, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

love 2 get churros at the churrasqueria

hey, they might have some, you don't know

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The cloud was a hired killer change my mind

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Was the cloud pro or anti-independence?

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo it's been a year since the last Franklin episode

What a horrific waste of twelve whole dollars. The imagination buckles before the array of wonders I might have summoned forth with this money

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SIX WHOLE BEERS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I PAID TWELVE DOLLERS AND ALL I GOT WAS A PODCAST ABOUT PRONOUNS

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are a pronoun checks pronouns it/its?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

spankmeister posted:

I PAID TWELVE DOLLERS AND ALL I GOT WAS A PODCAST ABOUT PRONOUNS

you gotta pay extra for the pronoun podcast

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ridiculous History has an episode on the first time train wrecking was done for fun.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-ridiculous-history-28588696/episode/that-time-trainwrecks-became-a-spectator-61851485/

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's schemed tens of HUNDREDS of our sweaty, weird smelling dollar bills that we keep in a sandwich baggie inside our wallets

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
all it took was getting featured by cities:skylines and it all went to his head

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HERES COMES FRANKLIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44gkRzML9k

11am PST

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's like Christmas came early.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
just realized after i uploaded that the merchants' exchange building has six columns on the tower, not four, and now i feel like a moron

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

donoteat posted:

just realized after i uploaded that the merchants' exchange building has six columns on the tower, not four, and now i feel like a moron

That's just an urban legend/they put them there after you were done

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

donoteat posted:

That's what you get for rushing out an episode :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

donoteat posted:

look, sometimes lightning hits the clock tower, sometimes it doesn't

what I'm saying is that time travel's weird as all hell

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

donoteat posted:

many people are saying it has four beautiful (perfect) columns

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

donoteat, i cannot wait until you incorporate decadent brutalist architecture into franklin, maybe in an episode about the postal service, thank you

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I got to say I appreciate going back to a more traditional video where you can actually follow along with the story of what is happening.

I want to go back and listen to TYP videos but the cross-talk makes them practically unlistenable. If anything donoteat probably should record a separate video on the actual subject and then you can follow it up with a chapo-style commentary video. That or he just needs to give a long monologue at the beginning of the video to get it out of the way.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:22 on May 6, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's not an engineering podcast, it's a podcast about engineering and has been from the start. I demand LESS engineering, MORE crosstalk, and pronouns before every sentance.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i will stake out the compromise position of changing nothing and producing nothing new, just re-release old episodes with new numbers

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Plug the previous episodes into those machine learning writing programs and feed the results into vocal synthesis.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rockopolis posted:

Plug the previous episodes into those machine learning writing programs and feed the results into vocal synthesis.

It would just be an hour of pronouns and the word "right?" played over pictures of rubble.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Weembles posted:

It would just be an hour of pronouns and the word "right?" played over pictures of rubble.

Yes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Weembles posted:

The ultimate podcast

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just rambling non-sequiters followed by Justin saying "Right."

Also now I want a vocal synthesis of the narrator from the Chemical Safety Board videos. I haven't seen one of those in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ardennes posted:

I want to go back and listen to TYP videos but the cross-talk makes them practically unlistenable. If anything donoteat probably should record a separate video on the actual subject and then you can follow it up with a chapo-style commentary video. That or he just needs to give a long monologue at the beginning of the video to get it out of the way.

What an incredibly wrong opinion