Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

MisterOblivious posted:

It wasn't even margarine before!

"Now, technically, Country Crock spreads aren’t margarine. Less than 80 percent of each serving is made of fat, which is below margarine’s federal definition."

North America is really serious about butter/margarine. In Canada, a legal case about margarine is the foundation of criminal law for the whole country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

thehoodie posted:

North America is really serious about butter/margarine. In Canada, a legal case about margarine is the foundation of criminal law for the whole country.

Torte law has since spread across many other cultures.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

You mean like an American flag made out of soda can boxes?

They said secular.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

thehoodie posted:

The history of margarine is real weird and dumb yeah

quote:

The color bans, drafted by the butter lobby, began in the dairy states of New York and New Jersey. In several states, legislatures enacted laws to require margarine manufacturers to add pink colorings to make the product look unpalatable, despite the objections of the oleo manufacturers that butter dairies themselves added annatto to their product to imitate the yellow of mid-summer butter.

By the start of the 20th century, eight out of ten Americans could not buy yellow margarine, and those who could had to pay a hefty tax on it. Bootleg colored margarine became common, and manufacturers began to supply food-coloring capsules so the consumer could knead the yellow color into margarine before serving it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BUT MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC

:v:

Edit: i can't find the right smiley but i'm looking

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

All I'm hearing is we're only one molecule away from being able to eat plastic and solve this plastic waste issue. Maybe scientists should just take away that molecule when they make the plastic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Len posted:

And salt is one molecule away from a warcrime!
:goonsay:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Seriously i thought we had a face that was tilted and clearly yelling furiously

it's not :gonk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

quote:

Around the 1930s and 1940s, Arthur Imhausen developed and implemented an industrial process in Germany for producing edible fats by oxidizing synthetic paraffin wax made from coal.[18] The products were fractionally distilled and the edible fats were obtained from the C9-C16 fraction[19] which were reacted with glycerol such as that synthesized from propylene.[20] Margarine made from them was found to be nutritious and of agreeable taste, and it was incorporated into diets contributing as much as 700 calories per day.[21][22] The process required at least 60 kg of coal per kg of synthetic butter.[20] That industrial process was discontinued after WWII due to its inefficiency.

Delicious coal butter, thanks nazi germany!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Len posted:

Seriously i thought we had a face that was tilted and clearly yelling furiously

it's not :gonk:

:byodood:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah that one. That's what I wanted to use

The same person who shares information about how bananas kill cancer shared that tidbit with me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Yeah that one. That's what I wanted to use

The same person who shares information about how bananas kill cancer shared that tidbit with me

I hope you told them about how bananas are radioactive

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

I hope you told them about how bananas are radioactive

I let that one go, she lost her last boyfriend to leukemia so if she wants to believe eating bananas will keep her healthy I didn't want to ruin that for her

I did defriend her for reposting Turning Point USA things though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Warmachine posted:

And salt is one molecule away from a warcrime!
:goonsay:

using this chemical is a violation of a geneva convention, this other chemical is so reactive it violently explodes when exposed to mist, and you have BOTH in your kitchen RIGHT NOW

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I assume "the 'high-price' spread" is meant to imply butter without actually saying it so that technically none of their comparisons can be proven false?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shame Boy posted:

Also can anyone tell me what the gently caress "flavor gems" are or why they're in this margarine?

its the things from that gum

cinnaburst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8lgPaLRBH0

awesome that the tech existed back then

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

thehoodie posted:

my grandpa used to drive across state lines to get the oleo

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm 9 years late on this, but this is the first time I saw this incredible op-ed.

https://hbr.org/2011/09/steve-jobs-worlds-greatest-phi.html

I kept waiting for it to pivot to satire, but it never did.

Dan Pallotta, Journeyman Bootlicker posted:

Last year Change.org wrote of Steve Jobs, “It’s high time the minimalist CEO became a magnanimous philanthropist.”

I’ve got news for you. He has been. What’s important is how we use our time on this earth, not how conspicuously we give our money away. What’s important is the energy and courage we are willing to expend reversing entropy, battling cynicism, suffering and challenging mediocre minds, staring down those who would trample our dreams, taking a stand for magic, and advancing the potential of the human race.

On these scores, the world has no greater philanthropist than Steve Jobs. If ever a man contributed to humanity, here he is. And he has done it while battling cancer.

Also Dan Pallotta, May His Parents Spit on His Grave posted:

What a loss to humanity it would have been if Jobs had dedicated the last 25 years of his life to figuring out how to give his billions away, instead of doing what he does best.

We’d still be waiting for a cell phone on which we could actually read e-mail and surf the web. “We” includes students, doctors, nurses, aid workers, charity leaders, social workers, and so on. It helps the blind read text and identify currency. It helps physicians improve their performance and surgeons improve their practice. It even helps charities raise money.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao

i'm sure that's :thejoke: but he famously didn't give to charity whatsoever and even publicly poo poo on the paternity test of his daughter when she was like fuckin 9, just a goddamn heartless unimpathetic piece of poo poo

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

i'm sure that's :thejoke: but he famously didn't give to charity whatsoever and even publicly poo poo on the paternity test of his daughter when she was like fuckin 9, just a goddamn heartless unimpathetic piece of poo poo

Yep! Not a loving dime to any charitable anything his entire life. He was a lovely human being all around, and IMO it's kind of a good thing that he opted for homeopathic/natural remedies over actually getting actual medical treatment for his cancer.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sundae posted:

What a loss to humanity it would have been if Jobs had dedicated the last 25 years of his life to figuring out how to give his billions away, instead of doing what he does best.

We’d still be waiting for a cell phone on which we could actually read e-mail and surf the web.

What a horrifying, unthinkable idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's a good thing stebe jobs personally invented the internet-connected phone so that surgeons could look up wikihow articles on how to do surgery

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

less than three posted:

It's not Margarine any more, it's "Plant Butter" :rolleyes:

I find margarine brands like "I can't believe it's not butter!" way more offensive. Most of them have "butter" in huge letters on them, making it easy to accidentally purchase margarine.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 08:46 on May 3, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Doesn't margarine come in tubs while butter comes in bricks so it's not an issue

I've never seen butter sold in a tub and vice versa

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

Doesn't margarine come in tubs while butter comes in bricks so it's not an issue

I've seen both in both formats, but maybe that's different in the US. The "brick"-margarine is specifically marketed as butter for vegans, from what I've seen.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Brick margarine has been in the US markets forever it’s all my parents ever bought as a kid

And vegan butters are typically more complicated than most margarines

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

What a horrifying, unthinkable idea

They had those years before the iPhone. The worst thing the iPhone did was kill hardware keyboards on phones.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I assume vegan butter is mostly margarine without any dairy products.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Ensign Expendable posted:

They had those years before the iPhone. The worst thing the iPhone did was kill hardware keyboards on phones.

Christ, this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i kept my nokia E7 flip phone with the impossibly obsolete symbian OS for years because i liked the keyboard so much

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
yospos b*t*h

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Giga Gaia posted:

yospos b*t*h

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think I've seen margarine in 1lb bricks but it's commonly available in the US in the four 1/4lb stick format, usually in $1/lb packs next to the $3-5/lb butter

for all the things my country has done in the dumbest way possible, the stick of butter/marg with volume indicated on the wax paper is a shining light of making sense

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

For real. I miss being able to text without looking at the screen if all I'm doing is replying with a simple response. Not that I ever did it, but I bet it's made texting and driving even more dangerous since you gotta look at your phone to type.

Swipey text has made me so lazy and autocorrect choosing the wrong words so often is probably making me look like a lunatic to the people I text.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I wish they still made phones like this. You get a big screen and a physical keyboard; best of both worlds

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
lmao if you can’t touch type on touchscreen

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can’t touch type on a screen and miss the physical element of device control that let me operate my MP3 player without looking at it but I also know I am a dreaded Old and thus must hate

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
no need to touch type if you just swipe

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

lmao if you can’t touch type on touchscreen

Goon thumbs too fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I replaced my frontal lobe with a BCI so I can post simultaneously on every website at once