Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rump buttman posted:

maybe? who knows

9 days vs 3 days for death doubling. The goon who did the math with an in between 6 day doubling time had 2 million dead prediction this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

A week ago I went on a run on my usual trail and about 80% of people were wearing some sort of mask

I went to the same trail yesterday and it was down to about 30%

people got bored of this covid poo poo and moved on

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the US merchant mariner unions are abnormally to the right. other unions not so much.

This is good to hear, I've met a lot of other skilled labor chuds but mostly in the South where most everyone is a chud and non union lmao

I don't really understand why our membership skews so hard right when the subsidy side of the industry is really bipartisan to Dem leaning. I think it's bc the culture war stuff is really good at drawing more apolitical ppl to the right among other things.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I, for one, am ready for everyone to die

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A week ago I went on a run on my usual trail and about 80% of people were wearing some sort of mask

I saw this at work too. Almost everyone had masks on or would compromise with some kind of clothing or bandanna.

Now only half the customers are wearing any kind of mask. They think now that the lockdown is over, they don't have to follow anything.

Our store really can't do anything due to complaints that some people couldn't get masks during the more frenzied period and don't want to be punished.

We're hosed lol

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Radirot posted:

well we have pence for that.

riding the wrong side of the horse there

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

understandable. it's boring, and also completely over. all this nonsense won't happen to them, they are invincible. it can't happen here. duh

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

I, for one, am ready for everyone to die

We're all going to die someday (unless you're a Highlander, vampire or someone else that doesn't die naturally).

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

shovelbum posted:

Merchant marine, never met so many hippie chuds, chuds of color, female chuds, the works. There's an incredible diversity of pro Trump people.

idk what to tell you except that I feel better about my policy of not fraternizing with coworkers and I am glad to have chosen trades where I can easily enforce such a policy lol

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

incredible levels of being extremely not mad online

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1257022823882727425

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

pancake rabbit posted:

incredible levels of being extremely not mad online

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1257022823882727425

Everything China does, America looks and says "THAT WAS MY IDEA!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BreakTheBlue/status/1256884605958799360?s=20

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

understandable. it's boring, and also completely over. all this nonsense won't happen to them, they are invincible. it can't happen here. duh

a virus perfectly engineered to beat the 5 day news cycle

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Here's your new goalposts
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1257010928140378112?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China faces obliteration

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Trixie Hardcore posted:

lol how do you have war with a country that makes all your poo poo? How does that work? What if we need something? It’s not like we are going to make things ourselves, we literally can’t do that anymore, how would this hypothetical war work? I do not believe anyone in power is seriously serious about this.

I remember a medical guest on Joe Rogan who was speaking about the coronavirus who said that the US military depends on China with medicines and other perishables. We would be shooting ourselves in the foot from the start.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1256934387960201216

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

haberear end

:butts:
:popeye:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I'd honestly have some respect if they went fully death cult and went "Everyone dies someday - deal with it, bitch" rather than the goalpost shuffling.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

mastershakeman posted:

9 days vs 3 days for death doubling. The goon who did the math with an in between 6 day doubling time had 2 million dead prediction this month

you got official death tallies?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

We're getting a blue* Ohio in November

*still voting Trump but now they're blue because they're suffocating from corona

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

holy poo poo we're hitting 100k deaths mid may latest

a loving dumbass thinking there will magically be 32000 deaths between now and june while still lowballing "1000 deaths a day" and being unable to realized even their own estimates blow 100000 deaths by end of june into radioactive dust

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Well, yeah, man. They're the protagonists of history. Everything will die with them. One of the Chapo guys predicted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWfkpw6_RNE

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Fear and Loathing in Mom's Basement.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

I do have photos with the golden idol.

I think trump will cave on any posturing but pompeo is a nutjob.

in the golden pre escalator days ppl used to fall down & go hog wild 5iving your threads

now look at us what have we become

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mastershakeman posted:

Hi that was me and yeah, if death doubling held to the April rate we'd have 650,000 dead by the end of the month.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Fear and Loathing in Mom's Basement.

lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Almost four in five Australians say they trust the government to give clear and accurate advice on the Covid-19 pandemic, a larger share than those who report the same feelings about the media, according to a new survey.

The poll by the Australia Institute also shows two in three Australians believe the government should take the lead in sustaining the economy as the country recovers from the Covid-19 crisis, while just one in 10 say that role should be taken by big business.

The progressive think tank surveyed 6,000 people across six countries – Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the US, Italy and South Korea – to gain an insight into their views on trust and economic anxiety in a time of coronavirus.

quote:

In all but one of the six countries, a majority rated their national government’s overall response to Covid-19 as good or very good, with the highest such rating found in New Zealand (83%), where Jacinda Ardern has pursued an elimination strategy.

The lowest rating was found in the US (49%), where Donald Trump has faced criticism for a sluggish initial response and poor national coordination.

quote:

Across the six countries, government was twice as likely to be selected as the other four groups put together.

The survey report said people in Australia and the UK were most likely to say that the government should take the lead in sustaining the economy (both 64%), followed by NZ (62%).

Only in the US – where sentiments about “big government” are more strongly held – did fewer than half say that the government should take the lead in the months ahead (43%). Despite this, Americans did select government more than twice as often as any other option.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/most-australians-want-government-not-business-to-lead-post-pandemic-recovery-survey-finds

I'm not sure that you'd get the same response here now that people have seen the public reaction to restrictions being eased slightly. It's pretty clear that the various governments here made a huge error of judgement in assuming that people would continue to comply with the majority of restrictions after a few were lifted.

Lolie has issued a correction as of 21:10 on May 3, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

August will be the bad death mark. I don't see them closing again the same month they open. They'll wait until June like fools

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
conspiracy theory: the GOP is encouraging chuds to mingle with roni because the party thinks that killing off their base is the only way to salvage the party while still appearing trumpy

this is obv wrong since the GOP can't plan long-term

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

this is my weird flex, on this the day of my birth

but i say it w/sincerity

i could make him cry w/a half oz of mushrooms & a deep talk about the plight of working class

theyre just being ground into dust man

like you dont even know they come home in pain

its constant pain & human misery just for your iphone bro

did u ever want to try foraging

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this guy looks a lot like a guy i know from my undergrad who gave a girl a research chemical and she died he wound up getting a bunch of community service after being charged with murder 2 and then less than two years later was marketing himself as a "life coach"

he has a little line tattoo of a fedora on his hand and calls himself 'hats' and tries to get other people to call him 'hats' (they don't)

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
My Costco meat manager buddy forwarded me their meat department inventory weekly report and it looks absolutely apocalyptic

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

August will be the bad death mark. I don't see them closing again the same month they open. They'll wait until June like fools

How do people see the post about current best case scenario American deaths (ignoring reopening) mean 650k by June and think anyone will be uninfected by August

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
50% operating capacity for beef, pork, and chicken. Only 1.5 million hogs killed last week compared to 2.7 million normally. The cut out (whole animal) price after slaughter for a cow hit $375, up from $293 this week. The last time there was a huge price spike was 2015 when it hit $260.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^ lol that's brutal

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

My Costco meat manager buddy forwarded me their meat department inventory weekly report and it looks absolutely apocalyptic

HEB started limiting amounts of meat you can buy last Monday. I'm glad they thought ahead to the eventual run on meat. People are still grilling every other day :\

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

lol @ FoxNews.com moving their pandemic stats graphic lower and lower on their front page at a sneaky, glacial pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I dunno about you but even rationalizing it that we need to go back to work because everyone will die still doesn’t sound like freedom