Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

https://imgur.com/9svy6RQ

The number of tests has gone back down, but the target was for the end of April, not the start of May, suckers!

weird, almost as if they just stuck 40k swabs in envelopes and called it done rather than actually expand testing capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

BisonDollah posted:

Has anyone here played 'Not For Broadcast'? It's in early release, you play the vision mixer for the nightly UK news as Lefty Farage's party has just won an election and plans to destroy the 1%. It is very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxZNj0C7fQ
https://youtu.be/5vxZNj0C7fQ

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I've got it, only played the two broadcasts so far and I'm a little worried that it's gonna be going radical centrist on me and helping the pissed-up bloke talking about taking all the rich people's money will somehow be the "wrong" choice.

I feel like the game might actually give you scary results based on your answers to the personality tests, I'm just enjoying the ride. It's like PAPERS, PLEASE and RED DWARF had a gameboy. There's only three episodes just now, I really hope it does well as it's a fantastic concept. It's on sale on Steam just now, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're doing UK applicable games, do you want to be a house flipper in a 1980's mining town?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXsIW56sIA

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

big scary monsters posted:

Norway has a law to "protect" rare surnames. If fewer than 200 people are registered with a particular surname...

I read as far in on the quoted post before my brain started imagining the government forcing random people to change their name to the rare surname to keep it from dying out.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Shyrka posted:

I read as far in on the quoted post before my brain started imagining the government forcing random people to change their name to the rare surname to keep it from dying out.

Hey, me too!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yes, that's my point. I am going to be hosed by a lovely schedule that there's no particular reason I need to adhere to because no amount of effort has ever made me able to wake up before 8am at the absolute earliest without it taking a toll on my mind and body.

You'll be able to snap back in a week, sure everyone will be in the same boat. The 9-5 work pattern should be dead, so should having to work in an office or doing hourlong commutes and getting interuppted by chuggers standing at train stations at rush hour.

I've been waking up around 8ish and going to bed around 2, but that's with drinking from about 6 (day drinking is a slippery slope). Sometimes I set an alarm for 5 or 7 in the morning just to mix it up a bit, see the dawn chorus, have a kip late afternoon.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The number of tests has gone back down, but the target was for the end of April, not the start of May, suckers!

The government's own chart shows the number of tests back down to 76000

is this still the number of tests going out rather than number of tests actually done?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If we're doing UK applicable games, do you want to be a house flipper in a 1980's mining town?

Not really no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me neither but apparently some people do!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Rewatched A Very British Coup over the weekend. Highly recommend! This is what would have happened if Corbyn had won the election.

It's available on All4.

Also:

https://twitter.com/altmann_tim/status/1256690738294857731?s=20

Also:

Who knew? Tony Benn is related to Margaret Rutherford (second cousins) - quintessentially English actor. Watched a documentary on her life today.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 3, 2020

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Angepain posted:

is this still the number of tests going out rather than number of tests actually done?

I assume so, it's the Tories' own figures.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
A message from Sandwich with a Pretty Big Pickle In It Corporation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZTch7FJgU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The government's own chart shows the number of tests back down to 76000

I'm impressed that this failure is the top story on BBC news, presumably whoever got left in charge of the website over the weekend will get a severe bollocking when the Monday to Friday bosses find out.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

On name chat, there's folk I went to school with, childhood sweethearts who called their kids Rose & Ebony Wood.

My all time favourite was a rep for Famous Grouse called Garry Boldy. I had his business card for YEARS. He also immediately said fire any joke you want at me, I love it and I've heard them all.

Also a guy I knew as JJ, who when I asked for his name to post him something was called John Johns. And he thought that was funny too, but he never said unless it was asked.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rewatched A Very British Coup over the weekend. Highly recommend! This is what would have happened if Corbyn had one the election.

It's available on All4.

Also:

https://twitter.com/altmann_tim/status/1256690738294857731?s=20

Also:

Who knew? Tony Benn is related to Margaret Rutherford (second cousins) - quintessentially English actor. Watched a documentary on her life today.

People are people. It's easy to put people into groups and hivemind and 'these people believe this'. Because it happens. But they also are not, and people aren't always as duped as it can seem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Translating skepticism into political action, however, is another thing entirely.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Goldskull posted:

On name chat, there's folk I went to school with, childhood sweethearts who called their kids Rose & Ebony Wood.

My parents once hired a solicitor called Rosemary Chicken. That wasn’t even her birth name, she’d apparently married a Mr Chicken and taken his name.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Peter Hitchens's extended Sunday normal one continues, in which he asks us to please think about the landlords, doesn't understand social distancing, and threatens to walk around wearing a Red Army gas mask.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With any luck it'll have the original filter full of asbestos.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I am thinking about the landlords, why do you think I've got an erection most of the time

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1257033005341736961?s=19

Our press is insanely bad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Peter Hitchens's extended Sunday normal one continues, in which he asks us to please think about the landlords, doesn't understand social distancing, and threatens to walk around wearing a Red Army gas mask.

Epidemiologists: It'll take about two weeks for any measures we take to start impacting infection and death rates.
Reality: We take some measures and about two weeks later start seeing an impact on infection and death rates.
Man who thinks squinting makes him look like he thinks really hard with his great big brain:

quote:

The death rate is lower than the Government believed. It passed its peak in this country on April 8, well before the crazy measures introduced by the Government on March 23 could possibly have affected matters.

Hitchens: This thing is really battering people's finances and one way or another something's going to have to be done about that.
Hitchens: No I mean landlords not humans.

Hitchens: The PM is a dipshit, clapping for the NHS is a weird cultlike activity, and the BBC is a propaganda arm.
Hitchens: Ergo, the Rona isn't real and can't hurt you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

His first tweet in that thread is interesting to me;

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1257025236391858177

Because to me those first two options are all but identical.

Labour should criticize the government as usual vs. Labour should criticize the government where necessary (Or at least that's how I read "Should support the government where possible"). But we're in two simultaneous global crises that are costing hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars, when could it possibly be more necessary to put the government under the closest of microscopes and make sure, with forensic precision, that their plans are credible and sensible?

Not sure what I'm saying with this, except I guess I hope Starmer's just doing a good PR and can go forward to say "We've supported the government in this so the places we're willing to call them out are really important and serious" but lmao while I'm dreaming I'd like a pet unicorn. Even if they try that the government's just going to say "I thought you said Labour wasn't going to oppose for opposition's sake?" and the press will savage Starmer for attacking the poor beleagured cabinet in these trying times.

e; That ended up a double post because I assumed goons on a Sunday night would actually be posting, yiz bastards :mad:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I was gonna post but I had a nap and now I feel I should round out the evening with a hot chocolate and a sleep

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

He's only saying that because he needs to be invited across the threshold whereas Corona may tread freely. More people out in the open = more necks on which to sup.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The difference I guess is like if the government said they were going to do a thing about I dunno ppe provision and labour broadly agreed with it as a good and smart thing to do right now, they should say so and get behind it because politicans agreeing about things helps some people to believe its actually the right thing to do rather than like add on a proviso where we get to criticise israel whenever we want if they want to pass it.

Rather than a policy decision that labour agreed with and say yes we think this will save lives, we won't block it but its like shutting the stable door after the horses have mostly already bolted they should still say yes but like this could all have been avoided if the country was fundamentally run in a different way.

I can't even tell the difference between what I've said actually.

Also Rentool might well be right, theres no evidence that lockdown improved anything. Because we did lockdown. Like we could have not fought the nazis, it could have been fine.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ms Adequate posted:

Labour should criticize the government as usual vs. Labour should criticize the government where necessary

The Novara interview with McDonnell is really interesting on how opposition works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugWznzavM64 just because Kier immediately invalidated himself as not a twat with the 'when will we reopen though?' pro-business shite that no-one in the public actually wants or cares about being his first meaningful interjection.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think Britains got talent should be replaced with britains worst lockdown offenders. David walliams presents a camply sardonic summary of this weeks contestants crimes, what they did and why they think its ok. Ant....... and....... dec offer tutting and gasping before simo cowell tells them they are total pieces of poo poo. Then that bbc professor that does numbers and jeremy vine do a virtual representation of how many people their actions likely infected and how many deaths they've needlessly caused.

Then we all vote. After several weeks, the winner gets to shake hands with the queen.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

What do you mean?

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1257063179772923904

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
"opposition for opposition's sake" is such a stupid turn of phrase it's embarrassing, it's an easy thing to throw back at you forever when the government wants to pretend it's acting uncontroversially in the national interest and it also implies that it's something you either might do or have done when actually we've always been opposing them because they're evil shitheads who want to do bad things or end up doing them semi-accidentally

Just say "we're not in government, we're the opposition and it's our role in this democracy to question the government and hold it to account when it doesn't live up to the standard Britain deserves, which is more important now than ever" or something. You don't even have to say "...because the evil bastards were quite happy to let hundreds of thousands of people die until it looked like it might play badly for them in the press" if you're feeling particularly decorous.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think Britains got talent should be replaced with britains worst lockdown offenders. David walliams presents a camply sardonic summary of this weeks contestants crimes, what they did and why they think its ok. Ant....... and....... dec offer tutting and gasping before simo cowell tells them they are total pieces of poo poo. Then that bbc professor that does numbers and jeremy vine do a virtual representation of how many people their actions likely infected and how many deaths they've needlessly caused.

Then we all vote. After several weeks, the winner gets to shake hands with the queen.

No, replace all that horrible poo poo with putting David Walliams on trial for the crime of making Little Britain. Edit: televised, of course.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm sure there are men who act like Karen. What would they be called? Because as long as we have a name for them too, it's not misogynistic to call Karen Karen.

There are already several. "Napoleon Complex" "Little Hitler" and "Disgusted of Tumbridge Wells" are all male assuming terms, describing similar behaviours to "Karen". An abuse of limited authority, and a jumped up sense of self importance. Karen more specifically puts the context into the area of customer abusing staff-member, but I think it's similar enough.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Jesus, Bojo looks rough as hell on that Sun front page. Has he always looked that rough or do you think he looks worse because Covid beat the piss out of him?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jedit posted:

I'm sure there are men who act like Karen. What would they be called? Because as long as we have a name for them too, it's not misogynistic to call Karen Karen.

Ronnie Pickering

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

Jesus, Bojo looks rough as hell on that Sun front page. Has he always looked that rough or do you think he looks worse because Covid beat the piss out of him?

He genuinely seems to have gotten worse every month since he became PM. Like full on picture of dorian grey.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The gormless fucker's been traumatised by the grim prospect of having to do some fuckin' work.

lol just lol if you think he actually had the rona

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

There are already several. "Napoleon Complex" "Little Hitler" and "Disgusted of Tumbridge Wells" are all male assuming terms, describing similar behaviours to "Karen". An abuse of limited authority, and a jumped up sense of self importance. Karen more specifically puts the context into the area of customer abusing staff-member, but I think it's similar enough.
Also 'gammon' is usually coded as male, and comes with all the "I remember when you could get a shop assistant who spoke English" passive aggressive racism that Karenism embodies.

And probably dated because I have no clue what South Park is up to now, but 'Cartman' was a good epithet for sociopathic little pricks who immediately let the tiniest shred of authority go to their heads.

Totally unrelated:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

I want to live to see the bourgeoisie swept aside by a tidal wave of queer as hell happy people, basically. It's my own vision of the new soviet man, I guess. Especially as I think that attacking those social institutions is necessary for building a new sense of community, there is no hope for leftism in a world where people are isolated from each other, and it's in radical social progressive circles that I see the most promising growth of emotional connection with other people.

This idea of the new soviet man as happy queer person has been in my head all day btw, I don't think it's remotely achievable or would even be a good development but there's definitely a real something there. Almost like leaning into how capitalism destroys family and so accidently does also destroy gender normativity and just being like 'look what you've wrought' it's a compelling idea to me.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 3, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

I have personally met Richard Head, so they're not all myths.
DId you study geography at Keele university in the late 80s, perchance? (There was also a student on the course called Hank Williams, and I always assumed that "Hank" was a nickname because A: it's ridiculously American and he was English, and B: y'know, famous country singer Hank Williams. But no, that really was his name.)

I also used to work with a guy called Neil Armstrong. Edit: and the Butt brothers. And a Gotobed.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want a laugh then Andrew Neil has started mildly criticising the government on twitter and all the people with the Union Jack/George cross in their names/pictures are melting down.

https://twitter.com/afneil