Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

40k is, unsurprisingly, a fanfic amalgamation

don't be absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gripweed posted:

don't be absurd

The first dungeon and dragon characters were actually based off WW2 war criminals.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Matt becoming a woo revelations guy is a good bit in the short term but does not, I think, bode well for the future.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Saying orcs are racist is correct (they very obviously represent our old impressions of humans from band and chiefdom societies, or sometimes of humans with lower socioeconomic status like soccer hooligans and african americans) but also counter-productive. Fantasy stuff is inherently fascist but it allows the fascism present in every person to be indulged in a harmless way without directing it to political ends. When you start forcing people to confront it and making it an open shameful issue instead of something politely ignored, you get rid of that release valve

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

cool dance moves posted:

Blowback has been getting me interested in Middle Eastern history, anyone know of any good podcasts on that? It can be about whatever country/region in whichever time period, but I would prefer pre- or postcolonial Middle East

try "the east is a pod"

is blowback free?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

don't be absurd

Guncaster's great, but what if I want to play as this guy in GZDOOM

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

try "the east is a pod"

is blowback free?

Blowback isn't free yet but the good people at /r/blackwolffeed are putting up the episodes for download there

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

they (brendand?) said it would be released for free after its 10-week run on stitcher ended....... which should be by the end of the month i think? i've been waiting for that

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Itll be out free after all the episodes come out, yeah. Episode 7 came out the other day. That one ended its narrative in 2004 so I wonder how they're going to speed through the next like 10 years in three episodes.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how long is each ep?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I'd say about 45 minutes to an hour? I guess they decided to focus more on the buildup to the war and the early stages in order to establish the currents that are still around. It still seems ambitious to do the whole thing in 10 episodes

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

cool dance moves posted:

Blowback has been getting me interested in Middle Eastern history, anyone know of any good podcasts on that? It can be about whatever country/region in whichever time period, but I would prefer pre- or postcolonial Middle East

Derek Davidson's Substack has a ton, the most recent being focused on the french interference in Lebanon iirc.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

40k is, unsurprisingly, a fanfic amalgamation

Every one of your favorite 2000AD properties in one lovely war game!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
For all that WH40k lore can be fun when it's not taking itself too seriously, it cannot be overstated how lovely the war game is.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It's bonkers to me that Games Workshop still actively discourages people from playing the game with the intention of winning a battle.

They rules are so bad, they backed all the way back around into storytelling driven games. Which the rules are also bad at encouraging. And also makes no sense for a wargame.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s funny how they ripped off the human empire in “Nemesis: the warlock” but they put the religious fanaticism and hive world to the humans and the armor designs and icons to the elder. Sadly Dumbass parody lore is incomparable with selling miniatures to lil Napoleon wheraboo war game nerds.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
what counts as a good wargame? (please respond with something i can play on tabletop simulator)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The one game where you play as the Vietnamese forces owning the french at Dien Bien Phu

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Finicums Wake posted:

what counts as a good wargame? (please respond with something i can play on tabletop simulator)

it has to have hexes and it must replicate the exact conditions of a diesel engine rattling your spine into gelatin during a particularly wet season

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i should add that "the east is a pod" spotlights voices from the middle east, puts them right in the foreground. many times the host will just roll the mic and step aside, he won't even ask questions he'll just let the guests talk. every episode is an interview with an academic, journalist, etc, or else an ordinary person from the region. it covers pretty much every country and even touches on places like kosovo and bosnia too. it's a very overlooked pod which loving sucks because it is consistently great. there is a syria 2 parter from october/november which is what hooked me, the guest is great. also great episodes breaking down lebanon's economic crisis too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mechanicus is the good 40K videogame.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the 40k tabletop wargame is awful but the smaller ones like necromunda are fun

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

the 40k tabletop wargame is awful but the smaller ones like necromunda are fun

Okay good glad we cleared that up. So how about those podcasts. I personally have been listening to Trashfuture again, for reasons beyond my own comprehension

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's bonkers to me that Games Workshop still actively discourages people from playing the game with the intention of winning a battle.

They rules are so bad, they backed all the way back around into storytelling driven games. Which the rules are also bad at encouraging. And also makes no sense for a wargame.

An American company made a game called Warmachine, that was like Warhammer but explicitly designed for balanced hardcore competitive tournament play. It actually got pretty popular and had a lot of players. But the problem is that when you've got a miniatures game where you have to keep releasing new miniatures, it's very difficult to keep the game balanced. It's like if Chess got a new piece every month, how long until that becomes a mess?

So anyway Warmachine eventually got unbalanced and instantly died because the players were only playing it for hardcore competitive gameplay and gave no poo poo about the little men. Meanwhile Warhammer, which has always been explicitly about pushing little men around a tabletop and making pew pew noises, has thrived.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Finicums Wake posted:

most of the COIN games

e: i see Red Winter in the steam workshop

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

Okay good glad we cleared that up. So how about those podcasts. I personally have been listening to Trashfuture again, for reasons beyond my own comprehension

ive been really enjoying all the deep philosophical debates about the nature of truth etc on cumtown

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Finicums Wake posted:

Unironically Zombicide.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

ive been really enjoying all the deep philosophical debates about the nature of truth etc on cumtown

Is it just nick somehow arguing with himself for an hour while Adam tries to get a word in

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

Is it just nick somehow arguing with himself for an hour while Adam tries to get a word in

Yes

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

i should add that "the east is a pod" spotlights voices from the middle east, puts them right in the foreground. many times the host will just roll the mic and step aside, he won't even ask questions he'll just let the guests talk. every episode is an interview with an academic, journalist, etc, or else an ordinary person from the region. it covers pretty much every country and even touches on places like kosovo and bosnia too. it's a very overlooked pod which loving sucks because it is consistently great. there is a syria 2 parter from october/november which is what hooked me, the guest is great. also great episodes breaking down lebanon's economic crisis too.

It's good, yeah! Thank you for recommending it!

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

anyone that doesnt have a blast playing total warhammer is dead to me

i can also wholeheartedly recommend it to someone like matt for streaming because it's straightforward enough, you want buildings to make gold and armies to win battles. if you understand enough about warfare that you know your archers are good but you have to protect them and calvary hits best from the rear or flank then you are ready to start winning wars

Percelus has issued a correction as of 00:03 on May 4, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

Thanks for the followup, that sounds pretty great actually

also thanks for posting about podcast. maybe we can cut through goons having the same conversation about warhammer/star war/marvel they have in every loving thread on the forums

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
We need to accept that Matt is never going to play or stream anything good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's talking about the french revolution rn so i'm satisfied

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god matt pull up

"franco-african caribbean hegemony" by napoleon arming toussaint and every man on haiti and sending them to new orleans to liberate the south

matt is harry turtledove on lsd

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
this mfer said "the :shibe:s of Venice"

coathat
May 21, 2007

i say swears online posted:

oh my god matt pull up

"franco-african caribbean hegemony" by napoleon arming toussaint and every man on haiti and sending them to new orleans to liberate the south

matt is harry turtledove on lsd

Yes wasting a powerful army suited to fighting Europeans trying to take over north america instead of stealing every British colony in the Caribbean.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Autism Sneaks posted:

this mfer said "the :shibe:s of Venice"

yes?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yeah didn't toussant basically wanna take on the brits in the carib and he told napoleon he would, but napoleon was too fuckin racist to see the opportunity + benefits?

been a few years since i read black jacobins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bonerfarte's wife's family were haitian landowners