Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

" lol these dumb chuds are bored of the lockdown and going outside and being in crowds"

"eh I'm sure its fine to go out and jog on the trail with 1000 other people, nobody has proven its dangerous"

Two totally normal things to think at the same time.

its about mental harm reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My daily tea on the balcony report is that everyone has given up. Austin traffic is up more every day. Mask usage peaked a week ago at like 75% and is way down now. I see more large groups of people walking together now which was basically non-existent in April.

We're so loving stupid.

the big problem is that we never had a clear-cut date for when this would be Done, because everyone was half-assing it interfering with the projections so it was "When we're done I guess we'll be done" i.e., indefinite and now I'm remembering the giant meltdown itt 2 weeks ago about that term, and when "indefinite" goes long enough people stop caring because there's no end in sight

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
we should be able to do things that are mentally painful, for the greater good, and the fact that we cannot has assured a chinese future/present lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Salt Fish posted:

Which isn't exactly evidence that it's safe. Seems hard to measure, like how would you even begin to study it?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

quote:

Methods: Case reports were extracted from the local Municipal Health Commissions of 320 prefectural cities (municipalities) in China, not including Hubei province, between 4 January and 11 February 2020. We identified all outbreaks involving three or more cases and reviewed the major characteristics of the enclosed spaces in which the outbreaks were reported and associated indoor environmental issues.

Results: Three hundred and eighteen outbreaks with three or more cases were identified, involving 1245 confirmed cases in 120 prefectural cities. We divided the venues in which the outbreaks occurred into six categories: homes, transport, food, entertainment, shopping, and miscellaneous. Among the identified outbreaks, 53.8% involved three cases, 26.4% involved four cases, and only 1.6% involved ten or more cases. Home outbreaks were the dominant category (254 of 318 outbreaks; 79.9%), followed by transport (108; 34.0%; note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category). Most home outbreaks involved three to five cases. We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases. Conclusions: All identified outbreaks of three or more cases occurred in an indoor environment, which confirms that sharing indoor space is a major SARS-CoV-2 infection risk.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I've repeatedly asked for and searched for examples of outdoor places resulting in outbreaks and have come up empty every time.

judging from these pictures of NYC parks this weekend I think we're about to find out in a couple weeks

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Eries23/status/1256757161293574144?s=19

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like every other country doesnt live in fear of the slightest of temporary discomforts to where they will rise up in armed revolt (wearing masks) over having to wear masks

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AchmatX/status/1256691575146590208?s=20

https://twitter.com/AchmatX/status/1256691582788648961?s=20

actually some parks are closed so maybe the truth is in the middle? :agesilaus:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

judging from these pictures of NYC parks this weekend I think we're about to find out in a couple weeks

I hear that over and over and then don't hear poo poo about the dud cases. Where was the outbreak from France's Smurf festival? Where was the supercluster from Florida's Spring break? When are the chud protests all going to break out?

And then it never happens. Maybe the chud protests will start now that they are holding hands and singing.

Where are the outbreaks occurring? Churches, restaurants, family households, prisons, meatpacking plants, skilled nursing facilities. All indoor places where people have prolonged contact with each other. But not outside!

If you want an outbreak to happen outside then you need to stick a lot of people real close to each other and keep them in sustained contact. Those, repeatedly, are the ingredients that matter.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hey, remember this guy?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

quote:

Republican fundraiser looks to cash in on coronavirus

A longtime Republican fundraiser sent an email to his clients on Thursday abruptly announcing that he would no longer be working for them.

The reason: He saw an opportunity to capitalize on the coronavirus response.

“Over the last 14 days I have built another business outside politics and will be focusing my full attention there,” he wrote in the email, which was obtained by POLITICO.
The fundraiser, Mike Gula, didn’t specify his new line of work in the email. But in an interview, he said he’d started a new company selling medical equipment that’s been in short supply during the coronavirus pandemic.

The company, Blue Flame Medical LLC, was formed Monday in Delaware, according to state records. Its website says it sells coronavirus testing kits, N95 respirator masks, “a wide selection” of personal protective equipment and other “hard to find medical supplies to beat the outbreak.”

Asked how he’d managed to procure such equipment when there are shortages in hospitals across the country, Gula said, “I have relationships with a lot of people.”

Yeah, turns out he was just taking money and not delivering anything lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6b7a_story.html

quote:

Maryland cancels $12.5 million PPE contract with firm started by GOP operatives

The state of Maryland on Saturday terminated a $12.5 million contract for personal protective equipment with a firm started this spring by two well-connected Republican operatives.

State officials said the company, Blue Flame Medical, failed to deliver masks and ventilators as promised and that the matter has been referred to Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) for review.

Blue Flame received a down payment of nearly $6.3 million from Maryland in early April — after promising to provide within weeks desperately needed PPE for front-line medical personnel dealing with the novel coronavirus.

Ethan Bearman, the Los Angeles attorney for Blue Flame, said Saturday he was unaware the state was unhappy with the firm.

“This comes as a surprise,” Bearman said when told that the attorney general had confirmed receiving a referral about the company from the state General Services Department. “This does not comport with what I know of Blue Flame Medical.”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I've repeatedly asked for and searched for examples of outdoor places resulting in outbreaks and have come up empty every time.

We have absolutely no contact tracing as of like early April what are you expecting

Might as well ask for proof people got it from being coughed on

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
i maintain Americans would be doing much much better at this if they put daily and total deaths on all the electronic highway signs. right now, they're all like "practice social distancing, don't tailgate" and gently caress right off with that tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

anime was right posted:

if this thing didnt murder marginalized ppl at catastrophic rates id be like, hell yeah, gather motherfuckers

but unfortunately the world is a dumb gently caress

I saw a tweet earlier where somebody said that losing a relative to Covid is going to be a universal experience for African Americans who live through this

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I hear that over and over and then don't hear poo poo about the dud cases. Where was the outbreak from France's Smurf festival? Where was the supercluster from Florida's Spring break? When are the chud protests all going to break out?

And then it never happens. Maybe the chud protests will start now that they are holding hands and singing.

Where are the outbreaks occurring? Churches, restaurants, family households, prisons, meatpacking plants, skilled nursing facilities. All indoor places where people have prolonged contact with each other. But not outside!

If you want an outbreak to happen outside then you need to stick a lot of people real close to each other and keep them in sustained contact. Those, repeatedly, are the ingredients that matter.

The overwhelming bulk of US cases in places with just hog wild community spread aren't being traced lmao

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

BMX Ninja posted:

Mask question.

I have a small batch of surgical masks I got from a family friend. My partner and I are alternating once-a-week trips to the local shop to pick up things like milk and fruit/veg every Monday. Neither of us are coughing or sneezing much, and we're only wearing them for the 15 mins it takes to go to pick up some essentials.

Would they be reusable if we sprayed them down with disinfectant and went through them on a rota? We've only got 10 right now. I know the roni won't last 10 weeks on a surface but are there any other factors we should be considering?

virus dies eventually on all surfaces without a host, afaik, so I have been taking my used masks and putting them aside, with plans to resuse or wash them later, and using them in rotation

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

BMX Ninja posted:

Mask question.

I have a small batch of surgical masks I got from a family friend. My partner and I are alternating once-a-week trips to the local shop to pick up things like milk and fruit/veg every Monday. Neither of us are coughing or sneezing much, and we're only wearing them for the 15 mins it takes to go to pick up some essentials.

Would they be reusable if we sprayed them down with disinfectant and went through them on a rota? We've only got 10 right now. I know the roni won't last 10 weeks on a surface but are there any other factors we should be considering?

Surgical masks are for protecting others, not you. If your surgical mask isn't getting visibly soiled or becoming moist and sloppy and gross you can just keep reusing it. In NYC the guidance we had was to wear surgical masks at all times - keeping one "clean" one for when we aren't having patient contacts, and then wearing a different one over our N95 which we disposed of if we ran patients that could have contaminated it (sick fever coughs, etc.).

So you can definitely reuse that surgical mask a whole lot.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shovelbum posted:

The overwhelming bulk of US cases in places with just hog wild community spread aren't being traced lmao

Yeah and in China where they actually were tracing it one out of over 300 multi-person outbreaks occurred outside so what's your point again?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Apraxin posted:

lots of negative feelings in the thread this morning, how about an inspirational quote/fanfic to chase those blues away?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

having a normal one

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

did u get ur roni test result?

Yeah it was negative but my doctor doesn't think I am (I don't think she trusts the tests) but I'm feeling a little bit better this afternoon actually. Mornings are still bad with my lungs however my entire body isn't under crushing pain right now but my throat hurts. She'll maybe have me get an antibody test if they pass some trial but I think it's pointless. I think I have something else, somehow, maybe? I've been really sick

e: thank you for asking :)

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
The original outbreak started from a few seeders from airports and ports. Reopening starts from 100.000s of seeders spread uniformly over the country. This is gonna be bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BMX Ninja posted:

Mask question.

I have 2 masks and I spray them with Lysol. I imagine that with 10 masks and only going out once a week you can just let the virus die off from time as long as you keep them separated

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Were there large outdoor gatherings of unmasked people in China between mid January and mid February?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skypie posted:

i don't think anyone even fuckin reported on it because showing workers doing something to stand up against their corporate overlords would conflict with everyone's media messaging

this is why peaceful protests are pointless

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I think the outbreaks now are going to come from places that have lots of people gathered and generating droplets through talking, exertion, etc... So churches, gyms, warehouses, salons, etc.... The more regions create connected graphs of people at these places the worse things will be. I don't think places that open parks and beaches will be very relevant.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Were there large outdoor gatherings of unmasked people in China between mid January and mid February?

Yes people in China do in fact go to parks etc...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think the outbreaks now are going to come from places that have lots of people gathered and generating droplets through talking, exertion, etc... So churches, gyms, warehouses, salons, etc.... The more regions create connected graphs of people at these places the worse things will be. I don't think places that open parks and beaches will be very relevant.

watching what happens in the chud states during meltdown may is essential

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

god i can't wait to live this stupid loving shithole country at the first possible opportunity

:same: but I doubt any other decently run country is going to be welcoming Americans any time soon.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
That's one hell of an edit
https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1257071441901694976?s=20

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah it was negative but my doctor doesn't think I am (I don't think she trusts the tests) but I'm feeling a little bit better this afternoon actually. Mornings are still bad with my lungs however my entire body isn't under crushing pain right now but my throat hurts. She'll maybe have me get an antibody test if they pass some trial but I think it's pointless. I think I have something else, somehow, maybe? I've been really sick

e: thank you for asking :)

MadJackal was saying there was something up/wrong with the new tests they got from one of his previous posts

like the tests were coming back negative when he/they knew the patients were 100% positive for roni

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

China and everywhere else that tracked effectively went like straight up inside after a few cases

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

everything is a couple weeks away and has been since March

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Surgical masks are for protecting others, not you. If your surgical mask isn't getting visibly soiled or becoming moist and sloppy and gross you can just keep reusing it. In NYC the guidance we had was to wear surgical masks at all times - keeping one "clean" one for when we aren't having patient contacts, and then wearing a different one over our N95 which we disposed of if we ran patients that could have contaminated it (sick fever coughs, etc.).

So you can definitely reuse that surgical mask a whole lot.

Thanks. We're only wearing them on the basis that we might be symptomless carriers and don't want to spread the roni to anyone else. I just wasn't sure what level of shelf life/reusability they might have.

It's also a bit weird wearing them outdoors here. I live in a very white area and the tiny Asian population here has been wearing them for months. I'm a bit socially anxious so the first few times I went to the local shop masked up felt a bit weird because nobody else was wearing one.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

shovelbum posted:

They are being traced in other countries, though. I'm a bit surprised that there haven't yet been clusters which centre around open or semi-enclosed spaces like shopping centres and transport hubs.

Maybe we haven't yet reached the critical mass where that will happen or maybe there's an additional element wh we haven't yet identified involved in transmission. Time will tell.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

oh come on we all saw the pictures of people in China being actually prepared in Jan/Feb. Remember the bleach trucks? The people flying back in full body PPE? I'm american and I was already buying extra food and supplies in the 2nd week of february and you're telling me people were shoulder to shoulder on the jogging trail in Beijing?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shovelbum posted:

China and everywhere else that tracked effectively went like straight up inside after a few cases

The study I linked was sampling data from non-Hubei provinces that did not actually go "straight up inside" because the epidemic was contained at the test-and-trace phase there.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

got any sevens posted:

this is why peaceful protests are pointless

peaceful protesting will never work and america has been duped into believing that peaceful protesting is the only legitimate way to protest and get your message heard

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

oh come on we all saw the pictures of people in China being actually prepared in Jan/Feb. Remember the bleach trucks? The people flying back in full body PPE? I'm american and I was already buying extra food and supplies in the 2nd week of february and you're telling me people were shoulder to shoulder on the jogging trail in Beijing?

Yes those pictures from Hubei province represent how the entirety of China looked at the time.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

We don't know really fundamental traits like if there's immunity post infection or what it does to the body but yeah let's open er up lol

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The study I linked was sampling data from non-Hubei provinces that did not actually go "straight up inside" because the epidemic was contained at the test-and-trace phase there.

One of the huge spreader events was the women's equality march in spain

quote:

The politics alone are daunting. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, weak after forming a minority government, likely didn’t want to risk his fragile hold on power by banning large gatherings, experts say. Instead, he allowed thousands to attend soccer games last week, as well as permitted a 120,000-strong feminist rally in Madrid to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Thank you that's one of the first major ones I've found. That also looks very dense.

Marches are also going to generate a lot of droplets from shouting so this seems like it has all of the necessary ingredients. Outdoor concerts likely have similar risk too.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 23:49 on May 3, 2020