Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comrade Koba posted:

Oh, right, you're the guy who thought players who made storyline choices you didn't like in an MMO should have their characters deleted from the game..

You should've kept your edit in about it being dumb to import drama from the WoW Lore thread because it is really loving asinine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Blizzard bends over backwards to excuse the fact that they let one entire faction of players do war crimes on the other but have it not be their fault because they were just following orders and that's loving disgusting but this is the first time where players were given an option whether to do so or not and there is unique content for opting into the fascism.
Pardon me for thinking that a video game should have consequences for picking the "Fascism" option when "Not fascism" is also an option in loving 2020?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Imagine skipping to the end of the thread to get past PF 2e argument only to run into WOW/Blizzard argument.

Edit: I got confused about which thread I was reading about old WoW drama in.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2020

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Not only was Diablo an official D&D setting, it's part of the core multiverse: in Die Vecna Die, the adventure that set up the in-universe changes from 2e to 3e, the Golem spell is reprinted from the 2e Diablo book with a note that Vecna's minions acquired it from a particularly diabolical world.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

gtrmp posted:

Not only was Diablo an official D&D setting, it's part of the core multiverse: in Die Vecna Die, the adventure that set up the in-universe changes from 2e to 3e, the Golem spell is reprinted from the 2e Diablo book with a note that Vecna's minions acquired it from a particularly diabolical world.
If Diablo or Warcraft are in the D&D multiverse, then Heroes of the Storm means the Lost Vikings, StarCraft, and Overwatch are also part of the D&D multiverse.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

If Diablo or Warcraft are in the D&D multiverse, then Heroes of the Storm means the Lost Vikings, StarCraft, and Overwatch are also part of the D&D multiverse.

one step closer to getting drizzt in smash brothers

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Brother Entropy posted:

one step closer to getting drizzt in smash brothers

No spells.
Drizzt Only.
Sigil Destination.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dark Sun also tackles the question of "Why don't clerics heal all injuries, cure all illnesses, and perpetually summon food and water for the poor?"

Tackles it off a cliff, that is, by killing all the gods so the only form of divine magic that sorta works is for druids.
I am now imagining some Andropinis or Hamanu templar with literacy writing rhetorical screeds about how the relatively paltry quantity of water that Water Clerics can produce is a simple and obvious demonstration that the beings of the elemental plane of Water hate poor, suffering humanity and are, in fact, the true authors of Athas's misfortune, and that the only moral thing to do is butcher water clerics and, eventually, invade the plane of Water itself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kurieg posted:

No spells.
Drizzt Only.
Sigil Destination.
she's just two ice climbers with a ring of levitation and a fancy costume!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kurieg posted:

No spells.
Drizzt Only.
Sigil Destination.

The advantage of playing on Sigil is that whenever you get knocked out of the ring you just come back in from the other side.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You forgot Birthright, which was a kingdom management system attached to a w/e setting.

Birthright was, explicitly per his own statements, the creator's failed fantasy novel series adapted into a D&D setting because they asked him to develop one and he was like "well, I have a couple thousand pages of manuscript under my bed..."

Gobbeldygook posted:

TSR's secret was they had no idea what they were doing. Line budgets were assigned on gut feeling rather than any sort of analysis or market research, so dumb poo poo like an epic level Dark Sun supplement got published.

honestly, good. i love that poo poo. i own a copy of Council of Wyrms.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 3, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gobbeldygook posted:

You forgot Birthright, which was a kingdom management system attached to a w/e setting.

Was it fun to play/ build kingdoms in?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Was it fun to play/ build kingdoms in?

Not particularly, but it's not egregiously awful either. Mostly it's just a simplistic resource management system that runs in the background, the better to represent adventurers who can coincidentally call on the economic (or supernatural, or manpower) resources of a small kingdom.

e: the weirder / more annoying part is the army management and mass combat system, which (admittedly from my decades-old recollection at this point) is too shallow to be a good wargame, but too complicated to be a mere narrative background tool.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 3, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

basically the answer is to just run Birthright in REIGN and forget AD&D ever existed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Birthright is a very good setting, let down by typically blah AD&D 2E mechanics.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's just that I would really like a politics game that is both about interpersonal chats with people in power and also about commanding armies/ ruling.

I need to learn how to make Reign work.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 3, 2020

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FMguru posted:

Birthright is a very good setting, let down by typically blah AD&D 2E mechanics.

I played in a short-lived Birthright campaign back in like 2012 and there was a lot of time spent going over how to build our kingdom and manage resources. In that regard, it felt like an Euro-style board game, which I'm not opposed to but not exactly what I expected out of a 2e game.

Birthright did at least one thing right, and that's make crossbows worth a drat. I'll always love it for that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Josef bugman posted:

It's just that I would really like a politics game that is both about interpersonal chats with people in power and also about commanding armies/ ruling.

The Game of Thrones RPG was really good at this, actually. Making a banner house with holdings and armies was cool, and social stuff was just important as combat mechanically.

Just ignore the setting and go.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slimnoid posted:

Birthright did at least one thing right, and that's make crossbows worth a drat. I'll always love it for that.

Out of curiosity, how did it do that in AD&D2e rules?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played a birthright campaign that was pretty fun, but we did it in Burning Wheel.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Out of curiosity, how did it do that in AD&D2e rules?

Crossbows mostly sucked in 2e. They didn't receive any stat bonuses to damage, unlike bows which could use your strength bonus for damage (with a corresponding strength requirement to use). They also took longer to reload and fire, with a ROF of one every two rounds; a bow, on the other hand, could be fired twice per round. Damage depended on the type of arrow or quarrel you're using, but bows usually were putting out 1d6 or 1d8 for damage, whereas crossbows were 1d3, 1d4, 1d4+1, or 1d6+1. Combine the better base damage die with the better ROF and the strength bonus and bows were the clearly superior choice for most ranged characters (dart spam notwithstanding).

Birthright changed the rules such that they were more accurate at medium and short range by making the opponent's AC being worse, as shown below:

It also upped their damage to be comparable to bows:

It made crossbows a very viable weapon, even if their ROF was still the same and you still couldn't add stat bonuses to damage. They're a good alternative to the standard rules and can be ported over to most 2e games without issue.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Neat, thank you.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Josef bugman posted:

You could probably get some help pretty quickly by throwing a question in the greg stolze thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3306874

There are a non-zero number of ORE fans around on the forum willing to help out with the trickier bits of the systems. Personally, I really enjoy it because there is a lot of crunch if you want to explore it, but its all out-of-session. Once you're in a session the amount of crunch is fairly small, though if you're running for a medium+ sized group having some dice rolling apps can save you some solid time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Birthright was, explicitly per his own statements, the creator's failed fantasy novel series adapted into a D&D setting because they asked him to develop one and he was like "well, I have a couple thousand pages of manuscript under my bed..."

This is as good a thing to adapt as any, since the real good worlds that people like have tons of nonsense going on under the hood

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is the majority of homebrew settings and I'm 100% here for it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Froghammer posted:

This is the majority of homebrew settings and I'm 100% here for it
Sometimes it's the other way around - both The Expanse and Malazan started off efforts to write a homebrew RPG campaign setting and got turned into novels.

GRRM's "Wild Cards" setting spun out of his superhero RPG campaign (I think it used, of all things, Superworld) and became a series of short story collections, novels, and (coming full circle) a couple of RPG adaptations (GURPS and M&M).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

Sometimes it's the other way around - both The Expanse and Malazan started off efforts to write a homebrew RPG campaign setting and got turned into novels.
Malazan is more a retelling and expansion on a campaign that actually happened - a weird two-player one run by Erikson and Esselmont, a pair of archeologists. So it already was a D&D (and later GURPS and later apparently just a kind of rules light storytelling I guess) campaign.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Didn't the Riftwar start as a dog campaign?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ego Trip posted:

Didn't the Riftwar start as a dog campaign?

It was a mash-up of Feist's home setting and Empire of the Petal Throne, the latter of which he claimed never to have heard of when the author sued him despite having ripped it off wholesale.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

dwarf74 posted:

Malazan is more a retelling and expansion on a campaign that actually happened - a weird two-player one run by Erikson and Esselmont, a pair of archeologists. So it already was a D&D (and later GURPS and later apparently just a kind of rules light storytelling I guess) campaign.

Everyone wants a Malazan setting, don’t nobody want to write the drat thing

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

FMguru posted:

GRRM's "Wild Cards" setting spun out of his superhero RPG campaign (I think it used, of all things, Superworld) and became a series of short story collections, novels, and (coming full circle) a couple of RPG adaptations (GURPS and M&M).

Dear god that's making me think of GRRM and his table getting really into the weird sex poo poo in the novels during play.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wild Cards is the one with the superhero pimp with tantric sex powers and the prostitute assassin with the venomous vagina, right?

GRRM is an absolute fucker.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good lord.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i had no idea wild cards was grrm

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't WoW lore a gigantic loving clusterfuck at the moment?

It really all went sideways once they screwed up the Falstad Wildhammer thing. The dopes!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nihilarian posted:

i had no idea wild cards was grrm

Turns out "grrm" is the sound you make when trying not to lose your lunch when reading Wild Cards.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Wild Cards is the one with the superhero pimp with tantric sex powers and the prostitute assassin with the venomous vagina, right?

He editted it, the stories with the tantric-sex pimp who stores the energy in his increasingly bulbus forehead was written by a different guy, Lewis Shiner.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Wild Cards is akin to a comic book shared universe where it has a stable of about 16 writers making stories as part of a greater narrative. Far as I know they're still going strong in publishing new material.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Wild Cards being an anthology series has some good Watchmen-esque "history but sometimes with superheroes" stuff but then yes, also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Saguaro PI posted:

Wild Cards being an anthology series has some good Watchmen-esque "history but sometimes with superheroes" stuff but then yes, also this.
It was part of that whole early-mid 1980s wave of "what if superheroes but real, dealing with real world issues and exploring adult themes" which some people did interesting things with (Dark Knight Returns, Miracleman, Watchmen) and others...well....