Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Squizzle posted:

oh dang, from the replies to that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/opinonhaver/status/1256651269185232898

“no electoral college for consumption” is a good way to phrase it

essential axe throwing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

BMX Ninja posted:

Mask question.

I have a small batch of surgical masks I got from a family friend. My partner and I are alternating once-a-week trips to the local shop to pick up things like milk and fruit/veg every Monday. Neither of us are coughing or sneezing much, and we're only wearing them for the 15 mins it takes to go to pick up some essentials.

Would they be reusable if we sprayed them down with disinfectant and went through them on a rota? We've only got 10 right now. I know the roni won't last 10 weeks on a surface but are there any other factors we should be considering?
Yeah you can do it, for a while actually.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I saw this I would just assume it's become a neo-nazi slogan or something.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

lol @ "10000 boat parade"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Apraxin posted:

lots of negative feelings in the thread this morning, how about an inspirational quote/fanfic to chase those blues away?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

this is a mad max scene

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Marx Headroom posted:

yeah there's no plan here. theres a million smart ways to hold onto their power. they could easily do the europe thing and pay people to stay home, then tighten the screws again once the crisis has passed.

imo there was a plan at first, to coordinate the quarantine protests in dem-held states, but since they've been holding hands with the nazi militia and antivax types and because let's face it they're a bunch of extremely dumb fuckholes it quickly got out of hand

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Thank you that's one of the first major ones I've found. That also looks very dense.

Marches are also going to generate a lot of droplets from shouting so this seems like it has all of the necessary ingredients. Outdoor concerts likely have similar risk too.

wow looks like ur wrong lmao

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I counted fewer than one hundred boats

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

fits my needs posted:

wow looks like ur wrong lmao

Oh no I guess you shouldn't go outside for another month. Good luck at the supermarket!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

That also looks very dense.

turn on your monitor! lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

the big problem is that we never had a clear-cut date for when this would be Done, because everyone was half-assing it interfering with the projections so it was "When we're done I guess we'll be done" i.e., indefinite and now I'm remembering the giant meltdown itt 2 weeks ago about that term, and when "indefinite" goes long enough people stop caring because there's no end in sight

Because we never locked down enough to stop the virus, so it was impossible to project an end date. It was always going to end like this

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Oh no I guess you shouldn't go outside for another month. Good luck at the supermarket!

That wasn't the point, though? Just admit you were wrong, you don't need to double down repeatedly.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

what

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Because we never locked down enough to stop the virus, so it was impossible to project an end date. It was always going to end like this

Yeah it's becoming pretty clear that the lockdown to paralyze the opposition and then reopening on their terms while allowing the pandemic to slaughter POC has been the plan since like December

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So is the "return of COVID-19 in the Fall" predicated on it not thriving in warmer summer weather?

Because I'm imagining all the crowds, the summer barbecues, etc., high activity like that in the summer, and I can't see how there will be a "return" of COVID-19 but merely an ongoing horrorshow

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PopChassid/status/1257053797614002177?s=20

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Lambert posted:

That wasn't the point, though? Just admit you were wrong, you don't need to double down repeatedly.

Going outside is fine. Being in close proximity to other people that generate droplets is what's dangerous. This is actually an important point because all we have to do to give people adequate space outside is tear away some of our public space given to cars. We have an amazing opportunity to destroy car culture sitting in front of us all while letting people improve their mental health.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So is the "return of COVID-19 in the Fall" predicated on it not thriving in warmer summer weather?

Because I'm imagining all the crowds, the summer barbecues, etc., high activity like that in the summer, and I can't see how there will be a "return" of COVID-19 but merely an ongoing horrorshow

it has to leave for it to return.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

We'll probably see a dip in deaths which is extremely lagging behind measures that they'll play up as oh first wave is ending meanwhile everyone out and about lately will get sick in a month

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

BMX Ninja posted:

Thanks. We're only wearing them on the basis that we might be symptomless carriers and don't want to spread the roni to anyone else. I just wasn't sure what level of shelf life/reusability they might have.

It's also a bit weird wearing them outdoors here. I live in a very white area and the tiny Asian population here has been wearing them for months. I'm a bit socially anxious so the first few times I went to the local shop masked up felt a bit weird because nobody else was wearing one.

For the last 3 days I've been home from NYC and keep doing this little panic thing where I'm like "oh what the gently caress" and reach for my face and realize I'm not wearing a mask. Looking forward to wearing one again starting tomorrow because I'm remobilizing somewhere else.

But yeah for the purpose you're using it you don't have to take any extraordinary measures to decontaminate them. You're also wearing them for the right reasons and I thank you for that. They'll be reusable for a long time, the stretchiness on the ear loops will go bad before the mask itself isn't usable probably although I threw some out for sure after getting a runny nose when they became gross.

I had one in India a few years back that had like fabric I could tie that was much nicer than the elastic straps even with an earsaver and I really miss those frankly.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Going outside is fine. Being in close proximity to other people that generate droplets is what's dangerous. This is actually an important point because all we have to do to give people adequate space outside is tear away some of our public space given to cars. We have an amazing opportunity to destroy car culture sitting in front of us all while letting people improve their mental health.

Droplet spread is like 10m

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Droplet spread is like 10m

IFR is 20%

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Where's the boat collisions/boats sinking

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

With waves of reinfection we could still top that, no one can survive getting this twice a year from 16 til death

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Some European cities like Vienna have rededicated some streets to pedestrians and bikes last month. I'd certainly enjoy less space given to cars.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

cases have yet to drop so I don't see why deaths would drop, especially as it spreads to areas with worse hospitals than metro areas

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KaptainKrunk posted:

cases have yet to drop so I don't see why deaths would drop, especially as it spreads to areas with worse hospitals than metro areas

Cases aren't real but you may be right

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
lol the new media narrative is that china lied to everyone in january so they could hoard more PPE, as if the rest of the world being alarmed at the wuhan lockdown was not enough evidence that this was going to crack open unprepared countries like an egg

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

The people saying we should "reopen" are insane

but I gotta admit I've been riding bike trails again, and disc golfing at the course that's open, and going to the river and stuff. I wear a mask at work and when I go to stores, but I cannot just stay home all day. Like it's bad for my mental health or something, I just cant do it.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Nah going outdoors is fine if you just keep distance from people. The mental health benefits outweigh the risk. It's a good chance for smart cities to close down roads to car traffic and open them up for people too. Don't miss this opportunity to crush car culture.

I went to the trail again today and I could count the number of masks on one hand, out of about 40 people. just strolling along the trail in groups of two to a half dozen, not a care in the world

it was the first 70+ degree day here all year after being cooped up for over six weeks of cold, raw, lovely weather and I guess people couldn't take it anymore

to be honest I didn't wear a mask either but I was running the whole time and kept a healthy distance from everyone

you have to take as many precautions as you can but literally staying cloistered for the entire spring and summer is going to be a huge ask for anyone who isn't already a goony shut-in

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You don't want to induce demand either, people want to sardine into anything that's open

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A week ago I went on a run on my usual trail and about 80% of people were wearing some sort of mask

I went to the same trail yesterday and it was down to about 30%

people got bored of this covid poo poo and moved on

it's like playing russian roulette and thinking you'll never lose

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah it was negative but my doctor doesn't think I am (I don't think she trusts the tests) but I'm feeling a little bit better this afternoon actually. Mornings are still bad with my lungs however my entire body isn't under crushing pain right now but my throat hurts. She'll maybe have me get an antibody test if they pass some trial but I think it's pointless. I think I have something else, somehow, maybe? I've been really sick

e: thank you for asking :)

phew good thing

feel better

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I hear that over and over and then don't hear poo poo about the dud cases. Where was the outbreak from France's Smurf festival? Where was the supercluster from Florida's Spring break? When are the chud protests all going to break out?

And then it never happens. Maybe the chud protests will start now that they are holding hands and singing.

none of these are being ID'd and tracked, I don't think anyone has even tried to study those specific incidents. I don't think you're entirely wrong but on the other hand germs don't spread like a gas or radiation, if any number of infectious people attended SmurfCon or whatever they'd only be very likely to infect the people nearest them, you shouldn't expect the entire group to all get it if you started with a small number of infectious. That was back in early March and it's not like half the crowd would have been carriers. Same goes for a lot of these trump rallies in states with low numbers of cases, there's a good chance none of the attendees had it to begin with but if any did, the number of them wouldn't be that big and they'd only likely infect the other chuds near them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just changed my notification sound to the title card drop from The Last Man On Earth

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Acelerion posted:

I cant tell if states actually believe any of this poo poo or if they're just showing off for daddy trump.

Even an idiot kid learns not to touch a hot stove after the first go, but these people cant even put cause and effect together.

its just another case of rich people thinking money will shield them from consequences

looking at the past 1488 years, they've been mostly right so far, why stop now

of course there were those occasional plagues and revolutions lmao but that was like a million years ago no plague revolution ur a plague revolution fake news besides the queen of cuckland didnt have HAARP back then :sad:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

you have to take as many precautions as you can but literally staying cloistered for the entire spring and summer is going to be a huge ask for anyone who isn't already a goony shut-in

This is bullshit, people in crisis situations throughout history have endured a thousand times worse with a smile, for years and years, to help the group survive. In our very own crisis everyone outside the West has hidden inside with great success and no complaints lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Lambert posted:

Some European cities like Vienna have rededicated some streets to pedestrians and bikes last month. I'd certainly enjoy less space given to cars.

Yeah, there's been a push by urbanists to use this as a chance to reclaim space. American cities in particular have huge amounts of dead space given to roadways and surface parking. It's hard to not pass someone shoulder-to-ahoulder on a sidewalk, it's much easier when you chop the road in the middle down to one lane. Now less people are filling up parks too when they can go walk, bike, run, etc... safely in roadways.

If we understand this and take advantage of it we can have cleaner air, clearer skies, and less noise pollution for the rest of our lives while making people happier and healthier at the same time, and all of this can be done without increasing the risk of covid transmission.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

No.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
My dad asked me today if I personally knew anyone that had Covid? So that’s probably the new right wing talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
gently caress joggers.