Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

yeah but the thing they hammer again and again with all these gross-out stories is that its like somehow a brutal spanish flu scything its way thru the prime working age ppl and then the numbers like obviously dont bear that out at all

i really don't understand what point you're making here, you think we shouldn't say that something happened if it's not the most common thing that happened because people might decide that it's not dangerous because...reasons...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

etalian posted:

Once again it's like white people have the real world version of a video game cheat code.

to be fair, the first person in SF cited with violating the order was a white maga chud anti abortion protestor

to be unfair, they didnt arrest him and charge him with violating it. just gave him a lil ticket :smugdon:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

i really don't understand what point you're making here, you think we shouldn't say that something happened if it's not the most common thing that happened because people might decide that it's not dangerous because...reasons...?

nah its just that theres an endless parade of YOU WILL DIE YOUNG PERSON but not great coverage of the actual meat and potatoes of the disease and its effects i guess

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

shovelbum posted:

nah its just that theres an endless parade of YOU WILL DIE YOUNG PERSON but not great coverage of the actual meat and potatoes of the disease and its effects i guess

lol what

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

i hope someone burns that hotel down also burns america down

good news

https://twitter.com/berkeleyside/status/1256309757431832577?s=20

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1257031652750036998

quote:

It is a mystery that has left doctors questioning the basic tenets of biology: Covid-19 patients who are talking and apparently not in distress, but who have oxygen levels low enough to typically cause unconsciousness or even death.
covid 19 is a hell of a drug virus

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

like wheres more pictures of the leaky corpse piles at the nursing homes and all that you know

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

shovelbum posted:

Even at the original estimates of 0.2% deaths for people under 40 that is still 1 in 500. The average flu will kill 1 in 10,000 or so young people in that bracket.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I said it before and I will say it again if the NCAA football season is cancelled half the south will have a full psychotic break with reality. This is of course the half that hasn’t already.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez7htYA5280

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

shovelbum posted:

like wheres more pictures of the leaky corpse piles at the nursing homes and all that you know

meat and potatoes :btroll:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"1 in 500 of liquefying" isnt the same impact as "here's a pile of 10000 corpses" because people are bad at math

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

it’s over guys, deaths are finally going down

https://twitter.com/covidperspectiv/status/1257098812935376896?s=21

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1257094422472392706

quote:

During the Fox News town hall Sunday, a woman from Alabama asked Trump what she should do because she’s lost her job, is behind on her bills and is close to being evicted. She hasn’t gotten unemployment and still hasn’t been given a stimulus check, but the president claimed all would still be well.

“You’ll get a job where you’ll make more money, frankly …I have a good feel for this stuff…we have to get it back open safely but as quickly as possible,” Trump said. He claimed she would ultimately “get a better job.”

Still will vote for him

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lack of oxygen to the brain makes you loopy, fighter pilots and deep sea divers train to recognize it but your average joe is gonna happily drift along to permanent brain damage or death

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

just ordered some oil painting supplies because I've been wanting to try it for years, terrible financial decision but gently caress man im in a dark place. i want to leave some horrible lovely paintings for people in my will

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1000 deaths a day is only 360k dead per year, great accomplishment!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Google Butt posted:

just ordered some oil painting supplies because I've been wanting to try it for years, terrible financial decision but gently caress man im in a dark place. i want to leave some horrible lovely paintings for people in my will

I never had the patience for oils. I know you can do some incredible stuff with them but I need acrylics or I'll be ready for a new painting by the time the underpaint dries

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lucky Greedo posted:

work in retail in fl and lust for the death of this cursed civilization

the level of hostility directed at even our extremely basic safety measures is shocking. i'm used to being abused on the regular, but not like this. everyone has lost their drat minds. got physically rammed with shopping carts by two different karens in the swimsuit section. college lads tried to run me over with their car in the parking lot bc i was still wearing a mask; they made a bunch of fake coughing and retching noises at me when i ducked out of the way. our fitting rooms are closed and middle aged women are stripping to their underwear in the middle of the store to try on our lovely clothes, then screaming at us when we tell them to stop. it's like watching a hive of insects trying to gently caress, eat and kill each other all at once in a massive suicidal frenzy.

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

not just florida, my costco meat dept. friend is having death threats and other unpleasantries lobbed his way by chuds in aurora, colorado because there is no meat left

You know, I've been reflecting on stuff today, with all these people going loving outside on Wheeeeee it's so NICE out and I'm TIRED of this shutdown and all that, and reflecting on the chud protests, particularly the Michigan one, and reading posts like these, while also thinking about what I've been hearing about how Wisconsin is likely to extend their shutdown order a second time (from May 24th to June) because our case growth is starting to rise again

And I was also thinking about how this forum, CSPAM I mean, in this thread and the Doomsday Economics thread where we've been trying to figure out the impact of this virus and what might happen to American society because of it. I notice that we in general tend to talk about these things from a leftist perspective, interpret our projections through a leftist lens. I think it was Sheng-ji Yang in particular who kept saying that we're likely to see (and we have already seen) rent strikes, unionization efforts, people realizing that they don't HAVE to accept this bullshit from the government and all. There was talk about how poo poo is really going to go down once this starts impacting the food supply chain in a major way, no society stays stable when they're food-insecure.

But I think we've all, collectively, missed something that's absolutely going to happen before general social unrest. And now having thought of it it seems all but certain that something like this is going to happen: A governor is going to order a second, third, or even fourth extension of their shutdown, and it'll drive some chud who's behind on his truck and alimony payments insane and the chud is going to try to assassinate that governor.

We're already seeing widespread disobedience of the social distancing/shutdown efforts, chuds attacking employees and mask-wearers, armed protests, and we've barely even begun the eighth week of the shutdown. The people who want this opened up are going to become angrier and even angrier as this goes on, and they're going to plunge deeper and deeper into their culture war. The first time Gov. Bluesuit shuts down the state? Sure, whatever. The first extension? Liberal lies and hoaxes! The second? Third? Fourth extension of the shutdown? One, or more, of these people are going to start to decide, in actuality, not just rhetorically, that Gov. Bluesuit is an active enemy of the people and is actively causing them to fail to be able to make their monthly financial obligations because they can't work because of the shutdown.

I think we're a lot closer to that happening than most people are acknowledging.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

amazingly high new cases # considering the number of new deaths but I assume that's 100% just the weekend reporting lag which apparently only effects deaths and not new cases

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

grim reaper takes weekends off

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

they really do regard us as cattle

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Rah! posted:

I was on the bus

AC Transit is a shitshow in the best of times. The very last time I got on a bus (in mid March) a lady was coughing hard all over the place while also using a comically large inhaler and asking for directions to the methadone clinic lol.

I had decided prior to that trip that I was done riding the bus after that day, but that really sold it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lucky Greedo posted:

work in retail in fl and lust for the death of this cursed civilization

the level of hostility directed at even our extremely basic safety measures is shocking. i'm used to being abused on the regular, but not like this. everyone has lost their drat minds. got physically rammed with shopping carts by two different karens in the swimsuit section. college lads tried to run me over with their car in the parking lot bc i was still wearing a mask; they made a bunch of fake coughing and retching noises at me when i ducked out of the way. our fitting rooms are closed and middle aged women are stripping to their underwear in the middle of the store to try on our lovely clothes, then screaming at us when we tell them to stop. it's like watching a hive of insects trying to gently caress, eat and kill each other all at once in a massive suicidal frenzy.

Africa and Asia have the swarms of locusts devastating their countries, the US has the swarms of chuds

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

The specific state he wants to open is VA

never gonna happen

our governor is an actual medical doctor even if he is a blackface wearing dumbshit who formed a "business leader council" to help with reopening

he already stated that even starting step 1 of reopening is going to take two uninterrupted weeks of new cases on the decline; since he said that two weeks ago our record streak has been... two days

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

your body becomes distressed when you have too much CO2, not when it doesn’t have enough O2. normally thats fine, but whatever covid is doing must prevent O2 absorption while not having as bad of an effect on CO2 dissipation. spooky.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The NFL is a chud league and will absolutely let some players get sick before considering a delay. They'll even move forward with a a few games after the first few players get sick, unlike the NBA.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Judakel posted:

The NFL is a chud league and will absolutely let some players get sick before considering a delay. They'll even move forward with a a few games after the first few players get sick, unlike the NBA.

they are going to play this season on a deserted island called NFL island

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

wuhan was closed for 80 days, Americans just lack the self control and discipline to sacrifice for the greater good in any situation. Nobody's asking you to pick up a rifle and risk your life, people are asking you to stay home to save your life.

Not to mention the 2+ million people that the country keeps cloistered for all 4 seasons, sometimes for life behind bars. A shelter in place order is truly a human rights violation

Wuhan had a government infrastructure for delivering food to people, and consistent in telling people that they need to stay inside.

The US has democratic state governors slashing social safety nets and the republican president cheering on suicidal protests.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Judakel posted:

Please join us in pregame prayer for our sick players may they recover swiftly. 🙏

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

a grave is a type of quarantine

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TBF it was an extremely boring hoax that people are tired of

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The crowd boos and throws rotten fruit as a black player kneels because they can't breathe.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Rah! posted:

i read a thing saying that CBD possibly helps protect against coronavirus by taking up the ACE2 receptors or whatever (similar to the nicotine thing?), but further research is needed

what if...

what if weed smoking became a widespread thing thousands of years ago, because various tribes noticed that the stoners seemed to have better survival rates whenever the spirits got mad and sent a plague their way. so they started breeding the holy weed and spreading it throughout the world

also ill have some death fries thank u sir

or maybe that's why they saw bats as a symbol of evil spirit instead of some sort of food that should be caged up and sold in a market

do they even taste good??

quote:

Bats are sources of high viral diversity and high-profile zoonotic viruses worldwide. Although apparently not pathogenic in their reservoir hosts, some viruses from bats severely affect other mammals, including humans. Examples include severe acute respiratory syndrome coronaviruses, Ebola and Marburg viruses, and Nipah and Hendra viruses. Factors underlying high viral diversity in bats are the subject of speculation. We hypothesize that flight, a factor common to all bats but to no other mammals, provides an intensive selective force for coexistence with viral parasites through a daily cycle that elevates metabolism and body temperature analogous to the febrile response in other mammals. On an evolutionary scale, this host–virus interaction might have resulted in the large diversity of zoonotic viruses in bats, possibly through bat viruses adapting to be more tolerant of the fever response and less virulent to their natural hosts.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4012789/

huh didn't know ebola was also from bats

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ChristsDickWorship posted:

depending how testing and immunity works a year from now, no one's coming here for a short business or pleasure trip either if it means a quarantine on the way home

my friend and upcoming roommate wants to either have their internet LDR partner visit and stay in our apartment for a MONTH, or go to their partner's south american country, in october. lmfao

I'm relying on covid to keep us from having to tell them to gently caress off tbh

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
yeah i think the NCAA season getting cancelled is possible - even likely due to the teams being tied to universities - but there is a 0% chance the NFL cancels

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Google Butt posted:

Thinking to buy a guitar and telescope gear. Things I wanted to do when I had more time and money because I internalized capitalism. Now I realize life is short and have some fun before there's no fun to be had

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

All the people who do actually do or make anything are chuds tho lmao, skilled trades are Trump as hell even in unions

idk, my IBEW local largely fuckin hates Trump and wanted the local/international to support Bernie

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
just saw a facebook friend post about being sad because 'their au pair finally had to return to France, even though she was nice enough to stay with them a whole extra month'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Sharps posted:

your average joe is gonna happily drift along to permanent brain damage or death

sounds normal??