Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao we were all at my grandparents' house because i think it was father's day on game 6 and my uncle stormed out of the house before paxson's shot because he assumed they lost and then they came back when everyone started blasting fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

but also gently caress to john paxson

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
and so, john paxson earns a lifetime's worth of good will from chicago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I still cant get over Jordan in sunglasses getting interviewed and saying he doesn't have an addiction he's just really competitive and can stop at any time he just chooses not to.

he should have gone the Barkley route and just flat out said that he was way too rich for it to matter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
gently caress John Paxson

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kj walking off the court determined to become a disgraced mayor

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Paxson had some flow back then

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i assume he is not in this but another person who can gently caress himself? that's gar forman

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lmao at Jordan going coast to coast for a layup with no one ever coming within like two feet of him with 44 seconds left in a finals game

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lmao the feed just died

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

MourningView posted:

lmao at Jordan going coast to coast for a layup with no one ever coming within like two feet of him with 44 seconds left in a finals game

No but you see basketball was a MAN'S game back in the 90s, you couldn't just go down the lane without

Wait

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"TWO TREY" custom plate is shaking my confidence in Jordan being the GOAT

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I can see why episode 7 might be getting hype, it's gonna start with retirement, then his dad's death and then baseball all at once.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Episodes still went by quickly, but I don't think these were as interesting as the others.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Episode 5 was a bit all over the place and not a ton of new stuff, but I thought episode 6 was the best MJ-centric episode thus far

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

3 and 4 were by far the best ones so far

they should have interviewed one of the Golf Hustlers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

was former bull john starks not available to be interviewed

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dango Bango posted:

Episodes still went by quickly, but I don't think these were as interesting as the others.

Exactly. This is a fun nostalgia trip but this is a completely competent documentary and thats it. It doesn't plunge the depths of both the American psyche and OJ's own as Made in America did, of which justified its long run length. Given the amount of overlap that we're seeing with pre-existing documentaries I don't see any reason why this couldn't have been, I don't know...four hours or so.

It'll take Jordan dying and some space from that to get something that reveals a bit more. Anytime you have the subject having some sort of editorial control, you inevitably lose some truths.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
jesus christ poor kukoc, it's kind of amazing he has a 'no hard feelings' attitude (probably because his day to day life was just brutal for years)

lmao i didnt know the reebok logo thing, that was genius

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 4, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are 10-20 minutes of really good stuff in all of them, the big issue (in addition to it being mostly hagiography because of Jordan's involvement) is that they made it way too loving long

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

yeah, if i wasn't a bulls fan and if this wasn't basically the only sports thing i cared about as a child, i'd be way less interested in a michael jordan hagiography with occasionally nike commercials and funny rodman anecdotes, but i'm an easy mark for this and will watch anything about jordan destroying people and annihilating his and by extension my Hated Basketball Enemies of the 1990s.

They really need more rear end in a top hat Jordan poo poo Talk in this though, literally pumping my fist every time jordan does some atrocious bully poo poo to someone especially krause.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jordan vowing to destroy the evil mastermind who was going to make him wear a Reebok sweat suit was the funniest thing in the documentary other than michael jordan's repeated denials of his gambling problem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

jordan vowing to destroy the evil mastermind who was going to make him wear a Reebok sweat suit was the funniest thing in the documentary other than michael jordan's repeated denials of his gambling problem.

i wonder how many people watching this dont know that he's a psychotic maniac whose sole purpose is finding people who slighted him and destroying them and that's literally why he was so good

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

yeah, if i wasn't a bulls fan and if this wasn't basically the only sports thing i cared about as a child, i'd be way less interested in a michael jordan hagiography with occasionally nike commercials and funny rodman anecdotes, but i'm an easy mark for this and will watch anything about jordan destroying people and annihilating his and by extension my Hated Basketball Enemies of the 1990s.

They really need more rear end in a top hat Jordan poo poo Talk in this though, literally pumping my fist every time jordan does some atrocious bully poo poo to someone especially krause.

This is 100% correct for me too. Every Krause joke for me I just can’t stop laughing.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/isaiah_t55/status/1257120848856702976?s=21

Lmao they’re after everyone named Isaiah

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm an Old, I was 22 when they won their first title.

Still, I'm not so blinded by the brilliance of Jordan and those championship teams that I started saying that the NBA today is pussies and LeBron sucks, or anything stupid like that.

But at the same time, I cannot think of a single athlete I've seen in my life that deserves a hagiography more than Jordan does.

Gretzky deserves one.

LeBron will too, after he's done.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I had no idea it was Grant who fed Smith all the dirt for the book.

Also never heard about this but I would love a 30 for 30 in his Wizards run.
https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/1257152926688129025?s=19

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I had no idea it was Grant who fed Smith all the dirt for the book.

A lot of people were talking

https://twitter.com/mdotbrown/status/1254614319402229766?s=21

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't been liveposting during this, but a totally random thought:

It's kind of amazing to think that Ahmad Rashad became so well-known as the superstar fluffer of 1990s NBA TV that seemingly nobody remembers that he made something like five Pro Bowls and played in a Super Bowl as a legitimate NFL star, doing so at the exact time the NFL became the #1 sports league in the USA.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

AND married Mrs. Huxtable!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

AND married Mrs. Huxtable!
To be fair, I think everything to do with the Cosby Show has been Memory Hole'd by this point in time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair, I think everything to do with the Cosby Show has been Memory Hole'd by this point in time.

https://twitter.com/nbatvahmad/status/1257152078608203783?s=21

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

:stare:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Holy poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm genuinely cackling at both of those tweets

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wiltsghost posted:

Holy poo poo
You know some poo poo went down at the bachelor party. The kind that involves bribes.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 4, 2020

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

R.D. Mangles posted:

but also gently caress to john paxson

xbilkis posted:

gently caress John Paxson

Care to explain to someone that barely knows anything about practically anything in this series.

I'm loving this whole series so far. I do agree it jumps around but seems like they trying to tie it all together.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and wasn't even in 10 years old by 98 so the vast majority of this is completely new to me. I was never a big sports fan when I was little. Most the of general stuff I've learned just watching other docs (mainly 30 for 30), reading about it or just absorbing it over the years of growing up. Like, all the internal fighting and crap with the owner and GM I had zero clue about.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 4, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This documentary is a lot of nothing. Where's the crazy never before seen backstage action?

Boring!!! It's a boring show!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The only thing I've gotten out of this series is that Michael Jordan did an Obama on the Campaign trail esque fake voice when speaking to the press. Lebron doesn't do that. Ipso facto, Lebron Goat

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Care to explain to someone that barely knows anything about practically anything in this series.

he's been the (relatively bad) GM and vice president of the Bulls for the past few years but resigned a couple weeks back

Crazy Ted posted:

I haven't been liveposting during this, but a totally random thought:

It's kind of amazing to think that Ahmad Rashad became so well-known as the superstar fluffer of 1990s NBA TV that seemingly nobody remembers that he made something like five Pro Bowls and played in a Super Bowl as a legitimate NFL star, doing so at the exact time the NFL became the #1 sports league in the USA.

I'm an Oregon fan and grad, we always keep Ahmad Rashad (known then as Bobby Moore TM) close in our hearts

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Y'all probably already know this, but for more 1992 shenanigans The Other Dream Team is a great documentary.