Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

moar

really this ride was more single track than gravel, but it was on a gravel bike so I'll count it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Definitely counts. I'm jelly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
keep seeing these weird fat birds when i go for rides. what does it mean?

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 26, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
been doing more single track and road but got some decent gravel in last weekend

Didn't have enough time but seems like a pretty big gravel loop could be put together...but instead I had to descend down on the shoulder of a 60mph road (was fine really, shoulder was huge, wasn't much traffic)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not exactly gravel but it involves a gravel bike

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Gravel in the driftless region is a really different beast. Just an all around great day full of spirit.

This wasn't technically a B road, but more like a B.5 road or something. It wasn't "low maintenance" but rather "no maintenance, but only during winter". So they still throw rocks down in the summer, but since they never plow or do anything with the rocks they don't really go anywhere or rut up or anything. We had two of them on the route. Lots of fun, but you really had to watch your line while riding.

I stopped on the second B.5 road to help a friend cross the road.

Rolling hills and sweeping roads.

Ultimately we were riding to the river / Iowa border and back. Not pictured were the six or so bald eagles flying around when we reached the overlook.

The penultimate climb of the day heading in to the sunset.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 3, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The Driftless region looks so cool to ride in, I need to go out there sometime.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

e.pilot posted:

The Driftless region looks so cool to ride in, I need to go out there sometime.

It's great. Rolling hills, beautiful scenery, beer.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Those giant rock “gravel” bits feel so sketchy at speed

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Almost nobody on the trails today. :c00lbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ugh tell me why I shouldn’t move to Missoula

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

Ugh tell me why I shouldn’t move to Missoula

Why go so far?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Decided to ride up a ski hill this evening

warmer gloves would have been nice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3442636064

Wiggity
Oct 22, 2016

Old school cool
Now with all of the millenial bullshit

I LOVE welding on things where chlorinated solvents are present - Phosgene ams your friend!
Going up to snowbowl is always a good time. I only tried riding up there once (years ago) and got a flat about 2/3 of the way up and realized that I forgot to pack extra tubes in my backpack so I had to have the girl I was dating at the time come and pick me up lol. Someday I will conquer it. I've also never gone up or down via butler creek, is it as good a route as grant creek?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I usually go up snowbowl rd because it's closer and more gradual. To come back down butler tends to be a lot smoother dirt. Butler creek can be pretty annoying to climb if you don't have like a 1:1 gear. Bike calc says my average cadence up tv mountain was 63 rpm.

Once they get their summer stuff going I like to take my mtb all the way up to point 6 and then come down the singletrack and then stop at the bar.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 16, 2020

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Stragglers are fun and good

https://i.imgur.com/sWx9Aql.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/8pKd1VJ.mp4

and the post ride pizza

Such versatility

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is that the recall rack? What was the fix Surly put out?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kimbo305 posted:

Is that the recall rack? What was the fix Surly put out?

I got it after the recall was fixed. It was some new bolts with blue loctite on the threads iirc

Which makes sense because the issue was bolts vibrating loose over time causing the rack to drop forward and hit the front tire.

I just check that they are tight periodically just to make sure.

e: i just re looked at the instructions and the recall kit also includes a pair of security clamps to lock in the upper strut
https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads/412417_SUR_24_8_Pack_Rack_80-000238_INST_C_vF.pdf

kill me now fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 16, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Went on a ride. After about an hour and a half on pavement i stopped for supplies then got to the dirt and climbing

It had a lot of area but was very thin. Fairly tasty for a $0.99 gas station cookie, would buy again.

Eventually I got to a pass, went down into a valley, then climbed back out. at some point i took another picture

then got a burger

Ride stats:
75mi, 5200 ft
35mi on dirt
1 apple pie lara bar
4 salted watermelon shot blocks
1 giant cookie
1 katarina nash edition pb banana clif bar
1 bag haribo peaches
3 waters
1 wally
1 ipa
1 kom

https://www.strava.com/activities/3463432641/overview

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 24, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Fairly short little loop near town but a place i've never been and pretty cool

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I've been slowly working on expanding my VeloViewer square, currently up to 16x16.

My last couple of rides have been very in the spirit, circumnavigating big metal "keep out" gates:

throwing my bike over gates and fences

Scaring sheeps

shouting at rich people

i don't even know what this stuff is but there's lots of it

this tile is in the way of me getting an 18x18 square. It's full of unexploded ordnance and signs that say "risk of death" "striclty no entry" and so forth. it should be spicy

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

kemikalkadet posted:

this tile is in the way of me getting an 18x18 square. It's full of unexploded ordnance and signs that say "risk of death" "striclty no entry" and so forth. it should be spicy

That's serious business! The worst I've had to do so far is trespass in to a hog confinement. Nowhere near as nutso as that square.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I climbed onto the Carbonda build to ride into the office to get some work stuff, some 3 months after I stopped bike commuting and our baby was born.
My sit bones were nooooot used to it. The 44mm Byways were a bit sluggish on asphalt, but the few bits of gravel I got to touch felt really good. The longer wheelbase makes more sense, and things feel nicely damped instead of merely dull on the road.

Near Boston, there's not much long stretches of dirt, but here's a running path along the Charles:

This stretch of the river is used in establishing shots for TV shows that need to set the scene for Boston/Cambridge/Harvard/MIT. Usually with a crew boat out there.
Goslings were out in force:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Bridleway
to the
danger area

I noticed on the map that the top of Mersea Island just barely scrapes the death zone tile so I took a circuitous route across the marshes:

had to lift my bike over 8 kissing gates along a 3km stretch of barely rideable path but I got the tile.

oh boy i can't wait for the next tile

:dong: :dong: :dong:

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
The Spirit of Gravel led me to a good wall.

And then some more gravel

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I upped my max square to 28x28 today with all sorts of trespassing and some on the fly reroutes. I also found a nice lunch time snack in a ditch.

It wouldn't stay put on the bike so I changed up my carrying strategy. I rode 40 miles with that thing sticking out behind my left ear.

All in all, totally worth it.

Yesterday I did a century gravel race (Sterile Iowan). Hitting a level C road two days after a poo poo load of rain should have been all sorts of sloppy. I brought my putty knife and shoulder strap just for the occasion. Turns out it's completely exposed and had managed to totally dry out. I was told we were the first group to attempt it and everyone else was detouring around. Fortune favors the bold.

Selfie hill. There's a lawn chair on top, but I didn't bother with that.

Cross posting from the bike thread, but I also took a Dema shot to flash my fancy new birthday socks. This was about 30 seconds after I carried my bike across a creek which is why I'm looking particularly damp in this moment.

All in all it was the perfect weather for riding. I got pretty lucky that it coincided with a totally free weekend. Is it "Dema shot" or "dema shot"? I'm phone posting and can't look up the username right now to refresh myself and proper capitalization.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I attempted a loop today that I'd been meaning to try for a while. The middle section was a big unknown: I didn't know if it was paved, unpaved, even passable. The rest of the route was all paved though so I took out my old cross bike with slick tires.

After the end of the pavement:

Then the road started to disappear:

I pushed through to the other side:

I don't think I'll do it again for various reasons, but a good adventure

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The veloviewer plugin for the new Strava route builder is even better than the previous version. That's some pretty slick software, all told. Velo squares are cake to sort out now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

don't have a kick stand

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 14, 2020

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

did gravel a week ago or so, could've snapped more scenic pics but i just kept going and climbing until the spirit of gravel left my body

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

new frame bag exactly fits a 6 pack so that's nice.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

jamal posted:

don't have a kick stand

God dammit. Where is this? :mad:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Monday I sat there looking at dark rain clouds approaching but it wound up not actually raining. Yesterday I was looking at the same thing and said gently caress it I'm going and just stuck a rain coat in my bag. I have a couple of quick and easy rides I like to do, one of them being to go up to the ski hill. It takes about 50min, and from there I can come back down, go out the back of the parking lot and down the next valley, or keep going up/around the back of the ski area in various ways. On the way out the parking lot, and then farther down, there are gates on the road, and it's closed to general motorized traffic year round, but you can still ride bikes or hike on a "closed" forest service road.

I didn't leave until like 7pm, but wanted to do a little more than come straight back down, so I did a little loop on the back side where there are two sort of parallel roads. One goes to the bottom of a chairlift and then switchbacks up to meet the other. From there you can keep going up, either to the top of that mountain, or up behind the rest of the ski hill and then to a higher, 8k foot mountain with a doppler radar. Pretty good way to get 5k feet of continuous vert right from my door when the road is clear of snow.

Kind of way out there by myself late. But I brought a jacket and gloves and a blinky rear light.

Couple of wildlife sightings on this one. Firstly a bear on the road right behind the parking lot. That's like 4 in the last week but I still haven't gotten a picture. Funny thing is that I had just put my bear spray in my back pocket instead of in the frame bag, and turned on my bell, and was thinking about playing some phone music.

Once I got up to where I was going to start heading down, I see a big something on the road below me. Oh poo poo is that a moose? They can get pretty angry and unpredictable and we were both looking at each other from about 150 yards away for awhile. Then I realized it was an elk and started creeping forward to try to get a picture. There were actually two and they ran down the ski run.

Pretty solid for a quick evening ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/3626941834

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 17, 2020

Development
Jun 2, 2016

sup grav grav kids,

if you're interested in joining the grav grav (and non grav grav) bike slack, reply to this and I can provide a link

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Development posted:

sup grav grav kids,

if you're interested in joining the grav grav (and non grav grav) bike slack, reply to this and I can provide a link

Just be warned we occasionally break out the guillotines and discuss eating the rich.

But if bikes and occasional bourgeoisie toppling are your jam, come on over.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Casual ride along the creek today, although I apparently didn't take any pictures of the actual creek

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yesterday's ride was a lot like the day before. Essentially went to the same place but on different roads and trails.

Also dragged my friend Meg up there. After 3k feet of climbing we're at the top and here I seem to be explaining what we're looking at and where we're going.

"behold, little park and miller creek and finally the way down"

It's been logged, and the bottom was private property until like 2-3 years ago, when a land trust bought a bunch of land in the area to make a new open space. There's some new trail, some being built, some planned, and a lot of old roads. it's a huge project and it's really cool to be a part of it.

https://www.fvlt.org/projects/mount-dean-stone

I've spent a lot of time looking at maps of the area and even made my own in caltopo because I wasn't getting a full picture from the fvlt maps and info

https://caltopo.com/m/42T5

We came from back there:

And are on what's called "allen to little park" on the map. I'm not sure anyone else has done this. Last time I accidentally paused my garmin at the top instead of pushing lap and missed recording most of it so it wasn't really clear where I'd went. The little park and inez routes are new and this is not the way you would usually go

Bitterroot mountains out there

The bottom of little park is old logging road cut, but the top is a trail that was very roughly cut in to get you along the ridge. It's fun, and the first time I did it, I was wondering if I was going the right way. You start out on an overgrown road, go over a bank past a rock cairn and are going through the bushes for awhile.

Then you come out into the open and can see in every direction. This is miller creek, where we're headed

That mountain on the right is Dean Stone, currently there's trail being built to the top from the other side, and eventually there will be a trail along the ridge on this side. Once the trail to the top is finished you will at least be able to come over to this side and take old roads down into Miller and to the existing routes (the other one is called Inez).

Old logging road to the bottom

Meg bought me a coke

https://www.strava.com/activities/3748714992

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Riding on all the random rear end gravel roads I can find I'm finding a bunch that just no longer exist. I created an account on Open Street Map and started updating everything I find in my adventures.

Apparently this road was decommissioned about 5 years ago, but it sure doesn't seem like any maps have been updated. It started off like any normal B road.

Then after one mile it just vanished on the other side of the intersection.

Not to be deterred from acquiring more squares I rode straight through the drat field anyway. It wasn't the stupidest thing I did yesterday. That probably belongs to the part where I rode a half mile down a row of corn taller than me to grab an impossible square.

The third impossible square of the ride was significantly easier to grab. Just a small detour down a buffer strip.

Not for nothing, but I just really like wind farms. It's even better at night when they're all blinking in unison.

Finally a cute little limestone trail as I head back to my car.

I still have a max square of 31x31. The last handful of outings have been more about laying groundwork for bigger gains later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

goddamn 31x31.
I was feeling pleased with my 12x12. I think I'd need a helicopter to get 31x31.