Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

This was one of the funniest and silliest parts of the game to me. Like Reeve had to send his robot to look and then had his robot go :negative:

Yeah, the Cait Sith thing was super weird because you never see him again and it just seems like it was put there for nostalgia's sake or something.

I was kind of surprised that the final montage at the end of the game didn't have like, a few quick shots of the other future party members as a sort of teaser of what's to come. I guess they probably haven't finalized their updated designs yet though.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

2 of the 5 years of development to come will be spent on internal Yuffie Wars

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

baffled and vigorously theorycrafting is how I remember it going when I finished FF7 in middle school so this is kinda nostalgic. no one agreed on what the gently caress that red XIII stinger was about and I don't think I got the story straight on Jenova and Sephiroth and Zack until like years later. all I knew was that sephiroth blowing up the solar system was the coolest poo poo I ever seen

then again I was in middle school so who knows how much of this was up to reading comprehension.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Mods No Masters posted:

2 of the 5 years of development to come will be spent on internal Yuffie Wars
You mean the Kisaragi Triplets? Yuffie, Zuffie, and Nyotengu.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, the Cait Sith thing was super weird because you never see him again and it just seems like it was put there for nostalgia's sake or something.

I was kind of surprised that the final montage at the end of the game didn't have like, a few quick shots of the other future party members as a sort of teaser of what's to come. I guess they probably haven't finalized their updated designs yet though.

My thought is Reeve used Cait Sith to try to run and warn the residents to get the gently caress out, since the President said no to his evacuation plan. The reaction was because he was too late.

It's still crazy rear end melodrama, but it makes slightly more sense than just being a silent witness for no real reason.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oxxidation posted:

definitely not, the track that plays when you go through the Hand Tunnel is FFXIII through and through

I don't know what this means, because I stopped at IX and didn't pick up another FF until . . . this one, actually. (Although I did do a LP of XV with a buddy, but I was just color commentary)

However, that music loving SLAPPED. Probably my favorite in the game, hands-down. It's just so bright, and fun, and Cloud is on this crazy adventure with Aerith and it's like the best date in the world for both of those character's personalities . . . it's ALMOST enough to make you forget that Tifa is Best Girl for the evening or whatever that they spend on that highway.

Just such great music that sets the whole mood for that section, I love it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gonna play FFXIII for the first time after learning Hamauzu did the soundtrack

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zarin posted:

I don't know what this means, because I stopped at IX and didn't pick up another FF until . . . this one, actually. (Although I did do a LP of XV with a buddy, but I was just color commentary)

a lot of hamauzu's compositions have a generally upbeat electronica feel that distinguishes them from other SE mainstay composers like shimomura

i wasn't thrilled by FFXIII's soundtrack in general but its sequels grabbed me a lot better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpsgk7b3R3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiX80ls2Y_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glzcgY-0hmg

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hamauzu’s style is generally easy to identify. He really likes complex harmonizations, piano as a centerpiece instrument, and vague electronica atmospherics. It was really easy to tell which tracks were his in VIIR.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Is this game good y/n I played the original in middle school should I buy a PS4 (and a TV....)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I liked it but that’s probably too big an investment for 1 game, even a good one. Try to find other PS4 gams you might want to play as well

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Turds in magma posted:

Is this game good y/n I played the original in middle school should I buy a PS4 (and a TV....)

If you don't have a TV, then yeah this might be too much of an investment.

If you've got a TV and wanna play the older FF games, a bunch of them are available for digital purchase on the Playstation Store, which might help your decision a bit.

I'm still debating whether I want to get XII after I get plat on FF7R.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

anakha posted:

If you don't have a TV, then yeah this might be too much of an investment.

If you've got a TV and wanna play the older FF games, a bunch of them are available for digital purchase on the Playstation Store, which might help your decision a bit.

I'm still debating whether I want to get XII after I get plat on FF7R.

I played probably half this game on Remote Play on my computer because it gave me better access to by bros in Discord and looking poo poo up that wasn't well-explained in game. So if you have a computer and monitor already, you could maybe do that in lieu of purchasing a TV.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Question about Chapter Select and Shinra VR/Wall Market Coliseum:

I've done all the Shinra VR missions in Chapter 17 on Hard, but I can't get to the last "???" one because I'm pretty sure I skipped the Aerith Solo Set in Chapter 9.

If I go back to Chapter 9 on Normal and work through the story until it's available, do I need to complete the entirety of Chapter 9 for it to stick? Or can I skip straight to Chapter 17 as soon as I ensure that all the Wall Market Coliseum fights in Chapter 9 have been completed?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Turds in magma posted:

It's awful. You shouldn't.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zarin posted:

I've done all the Shinra VR missions in Chapter 17 on Hard, but I can't get to the last "???" one because I'm pretty sure I skipped the Aerith Solo Set in Chapter 9.

If I go back to Chapter 9 on Normal and work through the story until it's available, do I need to complete the entirety of Chapter 9 for it to stick? Or can I skip straight to Chapter 17 as soon as I ensure that all the Wall Market Coliseum fights in Chapter 9 have been completed?

Pretty sure you don’t need to complete the chapter. As far as I can tell the only things that only save if you complete the chapter are side quests and story choices. Everything else saves as soon as you do it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zarin posted:

Yup, after you complete the Chapter 9 fights, you can save then jump to 17 via chapter select. Hell, do it on Easy even, since Chapter 9 is a bit of a slog to get to that point and you gotta beat Hell House again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

a lot of hamauzu's compositions have a generally upbeat electronica feel that distinguishes them from other SE mainstay composers like shimomura

i wasn't thrilled by FFXIII's soundtrack in general but its sequels grabbed me a lot better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpsgk7b3R3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiX80ls2Y_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glzcgY-0hmg

Sabres Edge fucken slaps and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLbULEiuFgo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

https://twitter.com/istanleyff7/status/1256417905786281990?s=20

This interview does seem to confirm that it’s a different timeline. How or why this happens is speculation at this point though.

"Not at the same time" doesn't necessarily mean different timeline, though it could. Zack would've been bringing Cloud to Midgar some time before that moment so it might just be that "Aerith is sensing Zack in the past" which would be at a different time. Or it could be a different timeline. It's kinda imprecise but, well, Japanese to English translation has to deal a lot with vague terms in Japanese so :shrug:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I knew that Aerith cooperated to save Marlene, but I thought in an earlier scene, like the flash back where she tells Tseng she doesn’t have any special powers when she’s little that it’s also said that she had to go willingly, but I’m probably mistaken. I basically stayed up for 4 nights in a row playing it so now, replaying it on hard I’m noticing stuff where I must’ve fallen asleep, like I totally missed that Cloud’s neighbor at Stargazer Heights is one of the Jenova dudes with a number on his arm and was shocked when I saw the cutscene.

Edit: God drat those FfXIII tracks are great, they do sound similar to a lot of the new tracks in the 7 remake, did Uematsu do all of the composition, because I saw Hamauzu credited with arrangement for a lot of them but I was sure if that was just copied and pasted on every YouTube video of the soundtrack that I listened to.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 4, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Imhotep posted:

Edit: God drat those FfXIII tracks are great, they do sound similar to a lot of the new tracks in the 7 remake, did Uematsu do all of the composition, because I saw Hamauzu credited with arrangement for a lot of them but I was sure if that was just copied and pasted on every YouTube video of the soundtrack that I listened to.

Hamauzu was the lead composer/arranger for FF7R. He did a lot of arranging of Uematsu's original FF7 tracks, but his original tracks and some of the arrangements picked up a big FFXIII vibe, which isn't a bad thing, that game's got a cool soundtrack. The only new track Uematsu wrote was "Hollow," the ending theme.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Imhotep posted:

I knew that Aerith cooperated to save Marlene, but I thought in an earlier scene, like the flash back where she tells Tseng she doesn’t have any special powers when she’s little that it’s also said that she had to go willingly, but I’m probably mistaken. I basically stayed up for 4 nights in a row playing it so now, replaying it on hard I’m noticing stuff where I must’ve fallen asleep, like I totally missed that Cloud’s neighbor at Stargazer Heights is one of the Jenova dudes with a number on his arm and was shocked when I saw the cutscene.

Elmyra says whatever Shinra wants requires Aerith to cooperate willingly. This is not in the original FF7, where the explanation for why the Turks didn't just pick up Aerith despite knowing where she lived and having been watching over her is.

So it seems, to explain why Shinra didn't just kidnap her from the start and were content to instead act as her bodyguard and keep her safe, is whatever they want to 'find the promised land' requires Aerith's willing cooperation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhonne posted:

Everyone dies except Aerith this time.

Temple of Ancients is the beginning of part 3, she apparently dies. At the end, Sephiroth wins and destroys the world. Aerith wakes up having been resurrected by the planet to make things right and part 4 is basically FF7 World of Ruin

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

"Not at the same time" doesn't necessarily mean different timeline, though it could. Zack would've been bringing Cloud to Midgar some time before that moment so it might just be that "Aerith is sensing Zack in the past" which would be at a different time. Or it could be a different timeline. It's kinda imprecise but, well, Japanese to English translation has to deal a lot with vague terms in Japanese so :shrug:

That doesn't make any sense since Cloud's current personality is because of Zack's death. He would be a completely different person if Zack had brought him into Midgar. Also the first place Zack would go in Midgar is Aerith's place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

That doesn't make any sense since Cloud's current personality is because of Zack's death. He would be a completely different person if Zack had brought him into Midgar. Also the first place Zack would go in Midgar is Aerith's place.

What I figured is that either a) it's an alternate universe, or b) history in this universe was retconned but didn't affect our heroes because they were in the Singularity when it happened (or any number of other "you remember the old timeline" excuses, there are plenty of different reasons for that kind of thing in time travel stories). It's probably a different timeline/universe, though.

All I was saying is that the interview quote is kind of vague and doesn't actually state it's a different timeline directly.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still don't actually understand the mechanics of the Rufus fight. His dog has a weird tether that randomly seemed to break (a distance thing?) and my strategy was to just kill the dog first and then wear Rufus down until I could limit break him to death. I saw someone mention hitting him during his reload animation but I have no idea how that's even possible because if you don't block his shots you get knocked down but if you do block them you don't recover fast enough to actually hit him during the reload animation, and they can't be dodged as far as I could tell.

there are certain moves, like his dual coin laser show, that are pretty easy to dodge. kind of up in the air whether he'll reload after, but that's your chance to take a shot at it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

While I'd love that, it is kind of silly to being up a character with no context when there won't be any explanation of who they are for 3 years. This isn't a cold open to a prestige TV show episode.

I felt the same way when I was fresh off the ending. But now that the dust has settled (and a bunch of official info has come out) I think it's quite clear that, while new players are welcome, this is primarily targeted at people familiar with OG FF7. Even Advent Children and Crisis Core to a lesser extent.

I didn't like it at first, but I've since come to enjoy it.

A lot of the new stuff only makes sense looking at it as FF7-2 and assuming everyone is familiar. Then even the weird pacing for and reason to fight Sephiroth makes sense. But def gotta be confusing for new people.

So yeah it's not a cold open to a prestige tv show season, but it is the sequel to Final Fantasy 7.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RatHat posted:

Cloud's current personality is his impression of what he thinks a badass SOLDIER man is, not what he thinks Zack is like. Badly as he took Zacks death, I don't it's a huge jump to assume he'd take to his delusion even without that particular trauma as an catalyst.

Naturally leads to the question of where has Zack's been and where is he now but that's what a year or two of anticipatory speculation is for.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Caidin posted:

Cloud's current personality is his impression of what he thinks a badass SOLDIER man is, not what he thinks Zack is like. Badly as he took Zacks death, I don't it's a huge jump to assume he'd take to his delusion even without that particular trauma as an catalyst.

Naturally leads to the question of where has Zack's been and where is he now but that's what a year or two of anticipatory speculation is for.
He's been stripping in Wall Market, he's just on a different shift.

I got the feeling Shinra needed Aerith to like actively divine the location of "mako deposits" and it was not something you could force her to do because it would have required communion with the Planet, and you can't beat someone into communing with the Planet. I also got the vibe that it wasn't so much that they were being nice about it as they had a whole two Ancients to work with, and this method clearly failed miserably on Ifalna.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I have yet to see a good explanation for the different Stamp chip bag that makes sense with the "Zack is alive in the prime timeline" theory. Different dog is shorthand for different timeline. I've seen enough Back to the Futures and Sliders and poo poo to recognize that.

Oxxidation posted:

once you break darkstar's tether (counterstrike does the job nicely) and get rufus to engage you solo, focused thrust will automatically knock him off his feet and allow you to start staggering him, whereas hitting him with braver mid-reload will end the fight instantly

never managed the latter, took me waaaay too long to figure out the thing with focused thrust

Braver will not end the fight instantly, it just instantly puts him in stagger. I did not find myself with enough ATB gauge (between keeping myself healthy and keeping a bar for Braver) to ever finish him off in a single stagger.

Man, that fight can go smoothly or really badly. One time I could just not get the dog to do a counterable attack (he would pin me instead), and when I finally did and broke the tether, Rufus just happened to jump right over to where the dog was so I couldn't actually HIT the fucker because Rufus would just counter my face off. I did not realize until that run that Rufus could go into later phases with his goddamn dog still alive, and that makes the fight much, much harder.

Oh! But to actually USE Braver on him, just try to keep him close to you. While the "Reloading" text doesn't stay up that long, you actually have an extra second or two to actually hit him and get the stagger.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Turds in magma posted:

It's loving terrible stay away

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Schwartzcough posted:

I have yet to see a good explanation for the different Stamp chip bag that makes sense with the "Zack is alive in the prime timeline" theory. Different dog is shorthand for different timeline. I've seen enough Back to the Futures and Sliders and poo poo to recognize that.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect Zack to simply have stepped into the primary remake timeline.

I suspect that Zack’s timeline is being established because Sephiroth is going to start loving with the timelines in order to further mess with Cloud’s head, or maybe the timelines will just naturally destabilize somehow, as a means of remixing Cloud’s breakdown and identity issues so that it feels new and exciting for people who played the original game.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
zack timeline is a spinoff game and never gets referenced in the main game series ever again

Schwartzcough posted:

sliders squeaky gate was the worst one, loving WD40 :(

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

Sio posted:

I suspect that Zack’s timeline is being established because Sephiroth is going to start loving with the timelines in order to further mess with Cloud’s head, or maybe the timelines will just naturally destabilize somehow, as a means of remixing Cloud’s breakdown and identity issues so that it feels new and exciting for people who played the original game.

I really hope we do not get a timeline thing for the second part...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zack will save Aerith in his reality by getting stabbed and that will be how you "save" Aerith in the prime reality - by bringing that one over. You'll have saved Aerith but not the one that knows everybody/loves Cloud.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Zack will save Aerith in his reality by getting stabbed and that will be how you "save" Aerith in the prime reality - by bringing that one over. You'll have saved Aerith but not the one that knows everybody/loves Cloud.

I have no idea what to think of this option. It’d be fascinating and I’m curious how it would go over with the rest of the audience - it’s devastating for a very different reason - but...I feel a lot of people would call it a cop-out or something, even if I’m personally intrigued by it.

I mean, I like it. It’s a good way to keep Aerith in the rest of the game, sure, but it’d distract from her death to the point where I don’t know if it’d be effective anymore. I guess we could consider it an extension of “came back wrong”.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

aeristh dies and Aeristh 2 shows up 5 minutes later

from then on she becomes the equivalent of Kenny and dies in every major scene

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like speedruns of the Pride and Joy challenge are getting wilder and wilder.

I love how the nuts materia loadouts in this game are primarily from the independent materia class.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another translated quote from the Ultimania says they actually are considering doing more frequent, but shorter, sequels

"If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make," he said. "If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster.

"I hope to release the next one ASAP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

Another translated quote from the Ultimania says they actually are considering doing more frequent, but shorter, sequels

"If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make," he said. "If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster.

"I hope to release the next one ASAP."

Can't wait for FF7R: Part 10 in 2041