Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with clone wars wrapping up I'm still wondering just how hard contemporary Mandalorian culture got wrecked during the clone wars if thirty years later their history of conflict with the Jedi has all but become a myth. Even if the Forgemaster was a Maul loyalist during their civil war, it's weird that she has taken such a hardline stance on what the Jedi were to Mandalorians, calling them sorcerers.

Then again Mandalorians also decided to play Game of Thrones for a few years with noble houses during Rebels before falling back on their nomadic clan roots for the Mando tv show, so who knows what they believe or how knowledgable they are on any given day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Padme's Ruminations and the score during Maul's transport really compliment one another. Like, drat:

https://twitter.com/Madison_Thames/status/1256436178632523777

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thank god we only have to wait until monday. From what I understand this is already very different from the book that was written based on the origonal scripts.

I think book Order 66s happens but Rex resists and he and Ahsoka are on Mandalore and have to escape. They bury her lightsabers and I think his blasters to make everyone thing they were dead. I may be wrong, I'm remember a Star Wars Explained video from a few years ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They another clone trooper in Rex's armor and yeah the Ahsoka novel flashback is now gonna basically have to be a dream-version or something for it all to work anymore. Not the author's fault, at time of writing there was no way for her to know the episodes would eventually get finished.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Episode is apparently already up in New Zealand, so watch out for spoilers. Runtime is reportedly 23 minutes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jivjov posted:

They another clone trooper in Rex's armor and yeah the Ahsoka novel flashback is now gonna basically have to be a dream-version or something for it all to work anymore. Not the author's fault, at time of writing there was no way for her to know the episodes would eventually get finished.

Books are always supplanted by the TV or movies with Star Wars.

And Rex's line "I never betrayed my Jedi" because he didn't tell her, and he's using betrayed to mean kill.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

This is ostensibly fixed in the new Story Group Canon; the tier system was eliminated. That said, some inconsistencies like this crop up when different authors have no way of knowing what future projects are being worked on

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally, if anyone wants to watch the clone wars finale or the Mando Gallery early; iOS Nord VPN on an australian server is working seamlessly on my phone.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

And Rex's line "I never betrayed my Jedi" because he didn't tell her, and he's using betrayed to mean kill.

He didn't successfully betray his Jedi.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rex is going full “from a certain point of view” here

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He didn’t murder Anakin, but maybe he should’ve :v:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Incidentally, if anyone wants to watch the clone wars finale or the Mando Gallery early; iOS Nord VPN on an australian server is working seamlessly on my phone.

I too watched via VPN and man, if they ever cut this arc into a film, it'd easily rank above most of the other Disney-era installments.

Turns out the secret trick to effective tone in Star Wars is minimal dialogue and a Blade Runner soundtrack, who knew!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly think there's intention to do a Siege of Mandalore film cut at some point. Maybe it was slated as a Fathom Event type theatrical run before the world all went to hell?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

General Dog posted:

Well yeah, but he has 18 years to get there. I know he’s fighting a war and everything, but he aged like 20 years since the last time we saw him.

Ashoka looks a few years older too even though I think it's only been a few months since she resigned from the Jedi Order.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The last few shots of the Clone Wars finale broke me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there an after credits where Hondo tells the audience to go home?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
That was really loving excellent.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

General Dog posted:

Is there an after credits where Hondo tells the audience to go home?

Thank you for this, I love hondo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do the Manchurian candidate clones reactions to Order 66 stack up well against the Battlefront 2 version of events where they knew what was coming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lgG2ENW5Ac

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Ahsoka is back to wearing her Gandalf the White cloak that she wears when she's not going to be on TV for a while. And Morai, the bird who belonged to The Daughter, was flying around near where Vader found her discarded lightsaber.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay so I've watch the episode now. Really good ending even if I still disagree with brainchips controlling the clones.

I am honestly conflicted on The Clone Wars as a series. I always felt that it kneecapped itself whenever it was hitting a stride and I probably dislike more episodes than I actually enjoy. But when it is good it is really loving good, which makes its weaker episodes so frustrating.

I think my biggest issue with the show is how its focus changed as the seasons progressed. Seasons 1-3 are my favourites because the show felt like more of an ensemble piece where we got to see the war from multiple perspectives, taking advantage of the breadth of stories you could tell during the timeframe. As the show went on the focus narrowed down to Anakin, Obi Wan, Ahsoka and Rex, and this was a two edged sword. On the one hand it allowed us to finally see the friendship of Anakin and Obi Wan get the coverage it needed, but it also meant that a lot of the side characters fell by the wayside, with some going for entire seasons without being shown and then appearing again for contrived reasons. The only reason that Barriss was the traitor who framed Ahsoka when she left the Order was because the show hadn't developed strong relationships with Ahsoka and many other characters (hell remember when they tried to give her a romance with Corkie?). So Barriss, who hadn't been seen since a cameo in season 3, is suddenly a traitor because they needed it to be a personal betrayal for Ahsoka. It felt contrived and it was the result of the narrowed focus clashing with the more vignette style of storytelling from the first seasons. And that's honestly more of what I liked.

Beyond the Umbara arc in season 4 I really didn't care for anything in the later seasons, with Season 5 easily being the worst and the abridged Season 6 bringing up the awful biochip plot I can't stand and then frustratingly being the only time they gave Fives something interesting to do after Umbara.

Even the stuff they've done for season 7 with the Bad Batch feels extraneous, since it's clear that their focus was on the Siege of Mandalore and the conclusion of Ahsoka and Rex's story. As a conclusion for the two of them, it's fantastic and easily stands as one of if not the best bits of Clone Wars ever. I just don't think it's the best conclusion for the series as a whole but that again goes back to my preference for the early stuff showing a wider story than for a sequential serial of Ahsoka's personal journey

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping that the apparent teases of doing more Clone Wars content will lead to them doing some one-off episodes set at various points in the war with those other side characters

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jivjov posted:

I'm hoping that the apparent teases of doing more Clone Wars content will lead to them doing some one-off episodes set at various points in the war with those other side characters

Yea I can totally see there being Disney + movies or short series about various clone wars things. The stuff about Ventress could easily be a 4 episode or a hour and a half movie.

I found out Dave Filoni story boarded the Mission Hill opening credits.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Up on Disney+ in the US now.

Clone Wars finale: It felt subdued? If you could call that subdued. The last episode told a small story rather than going for the bombastic coda of Rebels, and left a lot of the other tie ins or explanations for other media. But the focus was on Rex and Ahsoka, and they got their pay off. Rex's helmet removal to reveal him crying, and the later burials of the bodies were both touching moments.

Really hoping we might get some more in-timeline stories in future seasons at some point. Now that they got their finale, and they can start brushing in some other areas. Hell, I'd love for a Season 0 story, cover the first few months of the war, which the Genndy series showed a little bit of. If you could also introduce Ahsoka and show her finishing out her temple training.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was outstanding. If they cut it into a movie it'll be the best since ROTJ. Bringing Ray Park back made everything better. The soundtrack was phenomenal. Many of the visual effects shots were among the best Lucasarts has ever done.

I'm a bit gutted, but also exhilarated. 10/10, a fantastic climax to a whole era of storytelling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Announce the goddamn Rebels sequel already, I can’t go back to not having new Filoni-led animation every week :argh: :argh: :argh:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I was fine with them not actively killing the clones until they iced the astromechs. After that happened, heads should have rolled. They got what they deserved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pops Mgee posted:

I was fine with them not actively killing the clones until they iced the astromechs. After that happened, heads should have rolled. They got what they deserved.

You saw the graveyard at the end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How about we don't go back to Rebels? Leave that where it is and do something new. I'm all for a Rise of the Empire show but it would have to deal with the impact of an immediate aftermath of the clone wars rather than jumping to the rebellion era again.

Something without Jedi for a change. I feel that Disney star wars is at its best when it is doing something new, which is why Mandalorian is great fun and the Clone Wars finale was so good. Order 66 has had numerous depictions but treating it in such a personal manner that the finale did was pretty unique. But I think we need to step away from the Jedi and the Force for a while and do something else.

I'm still waiting on my starfighter tv series, Dave. Give me Rogues or give me death. Hell, give me Confederate remnants who joined the CIS for independence reasons rather than their primary MIC backers and show them forming the first rebellion in the weeks after the clone wars ended, fighting a losing battle as the Empire mops up the remaining separatists who suddenly lack the power of a trillions strong droid army.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This arc geels likr a new high poiny for the series, but that could just be the immediate excitement talking.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I was so certain Rex was going to release the shield in the hanger bay and space his brothers. That would have been so brutal. I'm glad he didn't.

The droids were great in this episode. I'm glad they recovered R7's chassis. Cheep was a fun look at how Chopper probably looked, before he was damaged and rebuilt by Hera.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just glad Ahsoka actually got shot multiple times instead of just casually dodging/deflecting everything

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

How about we don't go back to Rebels? Leave that where it is and do something new. I'm all for a Rise of the Empire show but it would have to deal with the impact of an immediate aftermath of the clone wars rather than jumping to the rebellion era again.

Something without Jedi for a change. I feel that Disney star wars is at its best when it is doing something new, which is why Mandalorian is great fun and the Clone Wars finale was so good. Order 66 has had numerous depictions but treating it in such a personal manner that the finale did was pretty unique. But I think we need to step away from the Jedi and the Force for a while and do something else.

I'm still waiting on my starfighter tv series, Dave. Give me Rogues or give me death. Hell, give me Confederate remnants who joined the CIS for independence reasons rather than their primary MIC backers and show them forming the first rebellion in the weeks after the clone wars ended, fighting a losing battle as the Empire mops up the remaining separatists who suddenly lack the power of a trillions strong droid army.

Alternatively, if they must do something with Jedi, I'd kind of like them to dig into the distant past of the setting and explore what it might have been like there. Jedi before they invented lightsabers? Jedi when they were just one fringe sect of force-sensitives among many? Jedi before their current understanding of the Light-side/Dark-side nature of the Force solidified?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping the High Republic stuff doesn't whitewash the Jedi into being pure and cool badasses. I want to see the seeds of the hubris that led to their downfall

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I'd be okay if we just went a decade or so with no new Star Wars.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Those droids were heroes. RIP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

I think I'd be okay if we just went a decade or so with no new Star Wars.

As long as the good stuff continues to outnumber the bad, like it hasbeen over the last few years, I think we'll be okay...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can we have Hondo stumble into the World Between Worlds, go back in time to the era of the High Republic, then bump into Yoda, causing him to be late to a meeting and create an entirely new continuity of Star Wars?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ the stinger at the end.

I bet Vader had people looking for that ship for years, because he wanted to know if Ahsoka had died or not. Imperial Records would probably just list the ship as Lost and he would need to know.

Please just give Filoni full control over Star Wars. Dude might love his OCs but he knows what to do to make them great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Those droids were heroes. RIP.

https://twitter.com/WeRateDroids/status/1257330451414347776?s=20

o7