Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Long post to start the new page. Since it came up, here's a few reactions to Return of the Jedi:

quote:

Vader died because his life support system got zorched by The Emperor. I thought this was one of the weakest moments of the film. His normally stentorious automatic breathing apperatus developed a definite hitch and a squeak which almost made me laugh out loud.

quote:

In the rebels' holographic simulation (a beautiful effect), the Death Star is shown in a geostationary (well, endorstationary) orbit. It is also shown as being only a few Death-Star-radii from the surface, and certainly less than one Endor-radius.

There is a contradiction here. For the stationary orbit to be that close, either the planet spins in only a few hours, or it has very light gravity. The scenes on Endor's surface showed no evidence of either of the above.

Possible fixes: even when only partially operational, the Death Star could levitate; or maybe the shield generating station also provided levitation until the Death Star's engines came on line. Or maybe the planet did have very light gravity, but there was a humongous mascon right under the shield station, providing "normal" gravity in the
immediate area. Except that you would expect a lake to collect...

quote:

Well, it's time to start the roaring discussions going. ROTJ was a fine film, but not as good as the other two. First, it was too busy getting all the things done it had to, and second, it was not nearly as imaginative. There were no surprises. So it's Leia - whoopdedo. So Vader told the truth - tralala! I may not have predicted these things, but the reason I didn't was because they were too obvious, and from TESB I got the impression Lucas liked the "Big Surprise". So here are some questions/comments:

1) Was it really the way of a Jedi to do what Luke did to the lovable Jabba the Hut? There are many other ways he could have rescued Han, the simplest being going in at night with his Jedi mind powers, taking Han and leaving a suitable ransom. Instead, he confronted Jabba directly, knowing this would very probably lead to a battle to the death. Instead of destroying his ships and killing Jabba personally, Luke could have had a ship ready to take them out, or just flown them out with the force. Regardless, what he did smacked of revenge, and revenge is not the way of a Jedi, or else the movie would have had a different title.

2) Until you get to their city, the Ewoks are pure, 100% Fuzzy. They even look like the fuzzies on the cover of my copy of Little Fuzzy. They carry the same weapons, and the only difference is that their voices are not high enough in pitch. Somebody suggested they were the characters from "Earthman's Burden", but I don't agree.

3) Why does a standard Imperial Throne Room include a conveniently located reactor shaft?

4) What extra power does the Emperor have that he can shoot blue bolts from his fingers? We have never seen the force ever do anything like that before. Just who is the Emperor anyway? Is the force strong in his family? Is he a member of the Skywalker Clan? Are the Skywalkers like the Amber family? What about Obi Wan's family. I guess that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were not truly related to Luke.

5) It's not hard to see how Vader killed the Emperor. Young those he was, Luke was no spring chicken with the force, and he was able to beat Vader in a fair fight. Thus it probably was quite an effort for the old emp to put the blue bolts into Luke. It sure took him long enough to kill him. Some might say he was doing this for drama, but I doubt it. I bet a normal man would be dead instantly with one blue bolt. The Emperor thus became weak enough that his iron control over Vader broke. Vader was then able to cast him into the
convenient reactor shaft.

6) Why did Vader die? what killed him? Surely not the lost of his mechanical hand. (Like father, like son!) Nothing else visibly was done. Perhaps the Emperor was truly struggling with Vader as he carried him.

7) Of course if Vader had not died, then all kinds of neat things could have happened. Now good, and with the Emperor gone, he would be the acting Emperor. He could have managed the rebellion single-handedly, turning the great power of the empire and the death star over to the Jedi for peaceful use. Instead, they blew up the death star, which was quite a waste of equipment and otherwise innocent lives.

8) Where was Leia at her pappy's funeral?

9) Will Han and Leia have a kid, and will that kid be the new top Jedi? I bet the force is with Han to some degree, he's such good pilot and shot.

quote:

After seeing "Return of the Jedi" Wednesday, I was left with a question. I'm pretty sure that Episodes I, II, and II will be about Anakin (Darth Vader) Skywalker and how he was drawn to the Dark Side of the force (what is the offer he couldn't refuse?). But, what will Episodes VII, VIII, and IX be about? Will the Empire rise into power once more, lead by a sinister, new leader? Or will a new enemy terrorize the galaxy?

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Almost Blue posted:

Long post to star the new page. Since it came up, here's a few reactions to Return of the Jedi:

quote:

9) Will Han and Leia have a kid, and will that kid be the new top Jedi? I bet the force is with Han to some degree, he's such good pilot and shot.

quote:

But, what will Episodes VII, VIII, and IX be about? Will the Empire rise into power once more, lead by a sinister, new leader? Or will a new enemy terrorize the galaxy?

*tracks down this person to inquire about lottery numbers and sports betting*

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

quote:

4) What extra power does the Emperor have that he can shoot blue bolts from his fingers? We have never seen the force ever do anything like that before. Just who is the Emperor anyway? Is the force strong in his family? Is he a member of the Skywalker Clan? Are the Skywalkers like the Amber family? What about Obi Wan's family. I guess that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were not truly related to Luke.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
These honestly aren't nearly as angry as I was expecting/hoping. They actually seem to generally like the movie and only have the same jokes we do about convenient bottomless pits.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Almost Blue posted:

Long post to start the new page. Since it came up, here's a few reactions to Return of the Jedi:

those are great, thanks

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are also iirc saved logs from right after ESB that are full of some hilarious speculation, if you can find them

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Robot Style posted:

He's family friendly Tarantino.

Or, Tarantino is a New Hollywood guy born twenty years too late. They all lifted so goddamn much from their idols and favorite movies.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

These are amazing, thanks for sharing them. Some things never change.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

galagazombie posted:

These honestly aren't nearly as angry as I was expecting/hoping. They actually seem to generally like the movie and only have the same jokes we do about convenient bottomless pits.

Fan culture was only just starting to kick in back then I guess

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Almost Blue posted:

These are magical, and prove that some things never change. I'd love if you could share more.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

quote:

In the rebels' holographic simulation (a beautiful effect), the Death Star is shown in a geostationary (well, endorstationary) orbit. It is also shown as being only a few Death-Star-radii from the surface, and certainly less than one Endor-radius.

There is a contradiction here. For the stationary orbit to be that close, either the planet spins in only a few hours, or it has very light gravity. The scenes on Endor's surface showed no evidence of either of the above.

Possible fixes: even when only partially operational, the Death Star could levitate; or maybe the shield generating station also provided levitation until the Death Star's engines came on line. Or maybe the planet did have very light gravity, but there was a humongous mascon right under the shield station, providing "normal" gravity in the
immediate area. Except that you would expect a lake to collect...

It’s a Moon dumbass, they’re both orbiting Endor haha.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pops Mgee posted:

Star Wars is good when it gets weird with it and that is a good episode.

Imagine what Lucas and David Lynch could've come up with for Revenge Of The Jedi.

Just imagine.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

But, what will Episodes VII, VIII, and IX be about?

37 years and two trilogies later we still don't know

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ingmar terdman posted:

37 years and two trilogies later we still don't know

A trilogy about nothing.

*seinfeld theme*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I thought it was about burning down what came before then making even worse mistakes to replace them

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The opening line of TFA now has to be one of the most cosmically hilarious lines in all of cinema

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Zoran posted:

The opening line of TFA now has to be one of the most cosmically hilarious lines in all of cinema

It clearly meant that they were going to begin to repair the hole in Disney's balance sheet, and hey, that's workin' out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Zoran posted:

Lor San Tekka hands Poe Dameron a copy of Rock, Rot & Rule.

“It’s the ultimate argument settler.”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darko posted:

Youd prolly like it because movies were more of an event, home video was barely existant, and the spectacle was more about seeing the good guys win. People werent really combing through and seeing the nuance of Empire by rewatching constantly then. Depending on your age, you would probably have liked it too just because non critics watched movies a lot differently then.

I was young and was just scared of Salacious Crumb but thought the rest was amazing.

salacious crumb had more personality than any of the heroes in eps 7-9

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Salacious b crumb loved to laugh, got electricity shot into his face, and was last seen aboard a large vehicle as it exploded. I can only conclude he's going to be the villain of episode x

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Salacious b crumb loved to laugh, got electricity shot into his face, and was last seen aboard a large vehicle as it exploded. I can only conclude he's going to be the villain of episode x

It'll be his clone: Salaciouus B. Cruumb.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
He's a sishkabob in the mandolorian background

Edit: I always assumed he was one of the oft mentioned womp rats, tho I'm sure he's "canonically" something else

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 3, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

quote:

7) Of course if Vader had not died, then all kinds of neat things could have happened. Now good, and with the Emperor gone, he would be the acting Emperor. He could have managed the rebellion single-handedly, turning the great power of the empire and the death star over to the Jedi for peaceful use. Instead, they blew up the death star, which was quite a waste of equipment and otherwise innocent lives.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
:laffo: at "Eyebrows Burnt Off Variant"

Blood Boils posted:

He's a sishkabob in the mandolorian background

Edit: I always assumed he was one of the oft mentioned womp rats, tho I'm sure he's "canonically" something else

He is a Kowakian Monkey Lizard, a fact that I remember from when I was 12, but not a single goddamn math equation stuck. Good work, brain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm Luke's face.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This made me look up whether vader had the gold arm from episode 2 in the suit and

quote:

Anakin nearly lost his mechno-arm after his fall into darkness and his transformation to Darth Vader. At the climax of his epic duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar, Vader lost both legs and his remaining biological arm to Kenobi's blade, and was left to die on a black sand bank. Darth Sidious saved him, however, and set his medical droids to work on the wounded Sith apprentice. Now known as Darth Vader, the Dark Lord was given an upgraded prosthetic arm which was heavier, but even more powerful than the last. A month later, this arm was severed by Jedi Master Tsui Choi when Vader confronted several Jedi in the Conclave on Kessel. It was replaced with another artificial arm. This arm was then severed by Starkiller's clone, who used his former master's blade on him during the Battle of Kamino in 1 BBY. Sometime after his escape from Dantooine he got it replaced again. During a battle with his son Luke Skywalker at the Temple of Pomojema on Circarpous IV, also known as Mimban, Vader lost his mechanical arm again, but it was replaced. Years later, after his many failures at defeating the Rebel Alliance, this arm would be destroyed by Darth Sidious as punishment. It was soon replaced, and this arm would have its hand severed at the wrist once again by Luke.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

teagone posted:

I'm Luke's face.

im the mon calamari cruiser that looks like palpatine's hand

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Ingmar terdman posted:

This made me look up whether vader had the gold arm from episode 2 in the suit and

Fuckin' Darth Butterfingers, always losing poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

He for sure still had the gold arm when they first put on the suit, because you see him trying to wave away the robots with it in the movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aw man, Darth Sidious is gonna kill me

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

very pleased to know Vader is ambiguously hairless in canon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ingmar terdman posted:

A disarmingly thorough account.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

RIP Clone Wars. That last season was great.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

teagone posted:

I'm Luke's face.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Aside from the unsettling faux-aged Hayden Christensen face I actually dig this design

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1257339618099441664

Looking forward to see who they'll replace him with after they fire him for making a film that's too comedic!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can't have a theatrical release if there aren't any theatres left in business.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

well why not posted:

very pleased to know Vader is ambiguously hairless in canon
Or is he?

No eyebrows at the end of ROTS and none during the ROTJ unmasking.

But big bushy eyebrow during his fight with Ahsoka Tano in Rebels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why did Dooku not have yellow eyes?