Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I can offer a suggestion? It is the constant belief that the world is fundamentally Just. That everything that happens is because you deserve it in some way. It's a very easy PoV to take because it requires zero introspection and makes you feel good about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Ok buy me a smartphone

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://medium.com/@timpetherick/the-labour-party-are-facing-a-perfect-storm-on-multiple-fronts-d6290d48aff8

Quite a good article about the various shitstorms our new leader has to deal with.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

And the people found not to have a telephone with the gizmo installed must be given a day in the village stocks whereupon the common folk's detritus shall be flung at them and thereafter shall they be made to carry a bell in public places and exclaim their uncleanliness to the heavens, for to set an example to all :mad:

(BBC comments are chock full of poo poo like this, people just love any excuse to be indignant I think)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The worst thing about this app bullshit is that it's put me on the side of Google and Apple against the NHS.

I think that's mostly an example of the neoliberal trend of "government can't do anything right, vote for us and we'll prove it."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Haha, what a predictable response. Weirdly I doubt Jeremy Corbyn would get away with the same excuse

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Josef bugman posted:

If I can offer a suggestion? It is the constant belief that the world is fundamentally Just. That everything that happens is because you deserve it in some way. It's a very easy PoV to take because it requires zero introspection and makes you feel good about yourself.

Going back to Thief of Time (I always forget how good it is): before anything else, people fear Kaos.

The government is at least theoretically competent like in the West Wing - because to think otherwise is chaotic and scary

There is a well-organised conspiracy secretly pulling the strings - because otherwise there's just a bunch of rich people flailing about in their own little bubbles, and that's chaotic and scary

Good people get the good things they deserve, and bad people the converse, at least mostly - because otherwise there's just a bunch of stuff that happens, and something bad might happen to me even though I'm a good person - and that's extremely scary

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Going back to Thief of Time (I always forget how good it is): before anything else, people fear Kaos.
Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
'Till the milkman he comes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin

One of the very best Discworld throwaway lines is about their version of the Sandman, who puts people to sleep with a sock full of sand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed that's how our version of the sandman worked, because the canonical version where he puts people to sleep by sprinkling sand in their eyes was obviously written by someone who has never been to the beach.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the very best Discworld throwaway lines is about their version of the Sandman, who puts people to sleep with a sock full of sand.

The original line reads (roughly) "The Sandman sends children to sleep with his bag of magic sand. He doesn't take the sand out of the bag first."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Scottish version is just a pervert.

Wee Willie Winkie rins through the toon,
Up stairs an' doon stairs in his nicht-gown,
Tirlin' at the window, crying at the lock,
"Are the weans in their bed, for it's now ten o'clock?"

If a man in a dressing gown knocks at your window at 10pm asking about the whereabouts of your children, call the police.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

I clicked on this yesterday just to lol at the government going all in on the plan to get people back to work because they can't be bothered coming up with a plan to stop people dying, and for some reason I wasn't expecting the surveillance horror in there

why do they need biometric data?
why do they need photos of IDs?
why does this need to go to a private company?
will the private company keep this data secure and not use it for their own ends?

I mean the answer is obviously a) cost and ease, because this means you can get people to do home tests and you don't have to bother actually setting up any mass testing infrastructure and b) handing a bunch of money and sensitive personal data to a private company is literally the point, but why isn't whoever wrote that article making some sort of comment about it

like if it was in China they would definitely be discussing how this will feed into extended state surveillance by the sppoooky Chinese Communist party but they don't even mention that it might be a concern because it's the UK

like their only nod to "privacy" is that the receptionist at your work won't know your name or date of birth, but how many people work in a building with a receptionist that doesn't know the people that work there? I'm guessing in big multi-company office buildings in London, e.g. where these cunts are based?

quote:

Onfido provides identity verification through its online platform. Almost everyone now has a smartphone with a built-in camera[dubious – discuss] and Onfido is able to use this to compare and cross-reference a person's facial biometrics with their identity document, such as driver's license. The person's identification can then be checked against global databases for any issues. It uses manual and automated machine learning technologies, including optical character recognition and face detection, to verify the passport or ID card of an applicant to prevent fraud. Onfido also conducts right to work, PEP and sanctions checks using multiple data sources.

sounds like a nice bunch

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I take it that they will be giving free smart phones to everyone who doesn't have one or whatever model is required to run the app? Also, I take it they will be hurriedly installing mobile phone signals across the land for all those many areas where the signals are either non-existent or very poor?

ed. Beaten.

VVVV

Angepain posted:

Ok buy me a smartphone

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 4, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin

What does Mike Gapes have to do with any of this?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1257250766689107969
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1257252284238565378

Lord Adonis continuing his undefeated normal-one streak.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

kingturnip posted:

France has a system, but it turns out the people running their system are massive racists while a few other, more liberal countries like Iceland and New Zealand also have systems that seem like they spend most of their time stopping complete fuckwits from naming their children something utterly stupid, so YMMV, I guess

On the plus side the French system did stop a Mr and Mrs Renault from naming their daughter Meganne.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Michael Gove attacks a historian who attacks a holocaust denier and has a book by that holocaust denier on his bookshelf

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1257234312677724160

Can't quite connect the dots here.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/EmmaManzini/status/1257056579196772357

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I took things very literally as a child and I always pictured Willy Winky as a giant :dong: rather than a man :/

You remember in the mid to late 90s how there was hysteria about the perils of internet addiction among morons who write stuff for the papers? Kara is exactly what they imagined: a person spending 4 odd hours a day looking at emails :ohdear:

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If a giant dong starts flopping against your window at 10pm asking about your children don't even call the police, buy a shotgun and window bars.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1257248375747084288

The Master.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1257252284238565378

Lord Adonis continuing his undefeated normal-one streak.

This isn't even true. Do they think leaving the EU is a centrist moderate project?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

If a giant dong starts flopping against your window at 10pm asking about your children don't even call the police, buy a shotgun and window bars.

You might be in Silent Hill if this happens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1257256101571158016?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i'm just straight up not getting this app idgaf if they arrest me

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Beyond silliness. Is it parody or real?

https://twitter.com/wakeywhite/status/1257254399606435840?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

police knocked on my door yesterday because there have been complaints about a really strong smell of weed and of course no face masks or gloves. turned out to be someone i worked with in my first ever job when 14 years ago

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/spagbolshevism/status/1257251649518698498?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jesus, what a life

no wonder she gets tired in the afternoon, she eats literal bird food and dust

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol it's just a blatant attempt to try and pull the focus off Race science believer and owner of the Bell Curve Michael Gove.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't think I've bought a single book about I/P. I do however have two books by Nazi generals, or I did. I might've gotten rid of them, but they were by Manstein and Guderian and were interesting mostly in how they whitewashed their crimes and failures.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beyond silliness. Is it parody or real?
Let he who is without holocaust denial cast the first stone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving lol

https://twitter.com/acatherwoodnews/status/1257066277643997186?s=20

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

This isn't even true. Do they think leaving the EU is a centrist moderate project?

Given it was supported by 52% of voters, then by definition it was.

Fairish elections are always won by centrists; that’s just math. It’s just that sometime they weren’t centrists until they won.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does anyone else get pissed off when friends and acquaintances on 'the right' share and diss Guardian articles and sneer at 'the left' because they think the Guardian is 'left' and that everyone on 'the left' takes the Guardian as holy writ?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think I've bought a single book about I/P. I do however have two books by Nazi generals, or I did. I might've gotten rid of them, but they were by Manstein and Guderian and were interesting mostly in how they whitewashed their crimes and failures.

Did you display them prominently in your living room and write articles about how the prosecutor for Nazi War crimes was unpatriotic? And is the most leftwing book you own "The Third Man" by Peter Mandelson?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My fash dad was shocked to the core when I said the Guardian was a Lib Dem rag, , but he couldn’t deny it after 10 seconds of actual thought. I think a lot of them just haven’t really read it since the Blair years and didn’t realise that it hasn’t changed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rip the labour party

https://twitter.com/HannahAlOthman/status/1257264708370997248?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone else get pissed off when friends and acquaintances on 'the right' share and diss Guardian articles and sneer at 'the left' because they think the Guardian is 'left' and that everyone on 'the left' takes the Guardian as holy writ?

I don't have friends or acquaintances who sneer at the left, and maybe nor should you

well that's that then