Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Does anyone want a quick guide on how to back up your mods and game install to "freeze" a version in place? Mostly on account of the upcoming patch.

It's kind of a pain to do, because neither CA Launcher nor KMM are set up to run the game from a non-steam directory. It's not too bad once you know how to though, doesn't even take up that much space since you can empty the data folder of your original install after you're done.

FWIW I haven't found one anywhere on the internet.

e: Here it is, anyway:

e2: Still having some trouble with it, sorry everyone. Looks like a load order issue since I wasn't using KMM before, the game and most mods seems to work fine.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Bretonnia seems impossible to fight with the Boyz Will Be Boyz CTT mod, as soon as they get some knight units in their army the peasants get massive buffs and Louen is even more of an unkillable rear end in a top hat. I'm getting stomped by turn 20 playing as VC and Norsca, and that's me trying to counter with AP and anti large. The mod makes some interesting changes and seems quite fun otherwise but my god stay the gently caress away from Bretonnia

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Okay so here's a repost of my guide for backing up a version of mods and the game to be update-proof, with one caveat:

the OVERWHELMING CHAOS mod does not work with Kaedrin's Mod Manager, which is required. This took me just shy of 4 hours to figure out. Based on how many people on the mod's page complain about it I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done. A shame since it's a pretty decent vanilla-friendly chaos mod, not sure if there's a decent alternative.

Anyway aside from that it works perfectly fine, so here it is:

1) Make sure you have enough space; you can free up some at the end but you'll need enough space for another install of your game and three copies of your mods. (blame KMM)

(skip this step if you are already using KMM) 2) Run the launcher and deactivate all the mods

(skip this step if you are already using KMM) 3) Download Kaedrin's Mod Manager from Github and extract it to your game folder (can use another folder if you want)

(skip this step if you are already using KMM) 4) Set up KMM with whatever mods you want to use and run the game through it once

5) Create a folder where you'll keep your frozen copy of the game, we'll call it <new_install>

6) Create folders inside to match the Steam folder structure, i.e. <new_install>/steamapps/common/Total War WARHAMMER 2 and copy your game files there from the Steam folder

7) Create folders inside <new_install> to match the Steam mod folder structure, i.e. <new_install>/steamapps/workshop/content/594570/ and copy your mod files there from the Steam folder

8) Edit "C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Kaedrin Mod Manager/GameData.xml" to point to your new folder, e.g "<Game ExePath="C:\Games\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\" ExeName="Warhammer2" AppDataGameName="Warhammer2">594570</Game>"

9) Edit "C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Kaedrin Mod Manager/mod_manager_settings_v2.xml" same as the above

10) Go ahead and delete the contents of the "data" folder in your original steam install; this is both to verify that everything works as it should and to save space

11) Run "Warhammer2MM.exe" from your <new_install> folder and enjoy your backed-up copy of the game and mods

Notes: Both achievements and Steam overlay will still work fine. If you weren't using KMM before your old saves will complain about missing mods, but will work normally when loaded, it's to do with different paths to the mods.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sorry for the double post, but I figured it's better to have this separately since there's more than enough in the previous one(s):

The OVERWHELMING CHAOS mod does work with KMM after all, only you need the OVERWHELMING CHAOS Add-On from the same author (Ondrik) as well. This is not the case with the vanilla CA Launcher.

There may be some other issues with the mod so if you get crashes and have it installed try disabling it first.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

my first successful ambush as Skaven, enemy army is marching through a valley with a mountain on one side and a ridge of trees on the other

half the army comes rushing out of the trees, and as soon as they engage it's just a rain of ratling and sniper fire from the mountain

:911: beautiful :911:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fellatio del Toro posted:

my first successful ambush as Skaven, enemy army is marching through a valley with a mountain on one side and a ridge of trees on the other

half the army comes rushing out of the trees, and as soon as they engage it's just a rain of ratling and sniper fire from the mountain

funnily enough i was just on the receiving end of this

it was two of my lower tier armies, both got ambushed, both got wiped out

is ikit claw a legendary lord? i've lost battles before but never been curb stomped like that, twice

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
yeah he is. he's also able to use nukes so that might have happened to you if you noticed half your army was suddenly gone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

is ikit claw a legendary lord? i've lost battles before but never been curb stomped like that, twice

Yeah, he's the legendary lord for Skryre.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh well, he pounded a bunch of idiot peasants, let's see how he does when Louen "ALL GRAIL" Leoncouer gets there

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had some skaven I was at war with unleash a plague on one of their cities that I had just taken and holy gently caress that was the worst, basically ground my assault to a halt for seven or eight since all but a couple of my armies got infected

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I've been playing in the Southlands in Vortex recently and every game I have to conquer all the way South just to stop those annoying-rear end plagues.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Fellatio del Toro posted:

back in med 2 kingdoms I did an ambush against a mayan army of about 6000 with my conquistadors. muskets fired into everyone on one side and as they turned to face mounted conquistadors smashed into them from the other, all over in about 30 seconds and about 5000 prisoners :dukedoge:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pnutz posted:

back in med 2 kingdoms I did an ambush against a mayan army of about 6000 with my conquistadors. muskets fired into everyone on one side and as they turned to face mounted conquistadors smashed into them from the other, all over in about 30 seconds and about 5000 prisoners :dukedoge:

gently caress off cortes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i just wound up having an absolutely savage battle with high elves

two full armies on my side, the majority of which was peasants and archers, with only a few knights of the realm, against two full armies plus a castle garrison, but not a siege

they had a lot of lothern sea guard

it basically turned into a savage brawl, i used the knights to break as many units as i could before they got bogged down and destroyed, then i reformed everything into one big defensive line with my lord behind them for morale boosts, and let them come to me

the end of the battle was my remaining archers fighting hand to hand with the remnants of their best units

just barely managed to squeak out a victory

goddamn that was hard work

then the game crashed at the post-battle screen :discourse:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

First, get hosed Ikit

Second, I know jack poo poo about Skaven. What on earth was I fighting against? That's probably the most casualties I've ever taken in an all-grail battle.

Third, get hosed Ikit

I gotta be honest I'm not a huge fan of fighting against Skaven. They're an absolute bastard to pin down and annihilate, and their units punch an awful lot harder than I'd expect.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First, get hosed Ikit

Second, I know jack poo poo about Skaven. What on earth was I fighting against? That's probably the most casualties I've ever taken in an all-grail battle.

Third, get hosed Ikit

I gotta be honest I'm not a huge fan of fighting against Skaven. They're an absolute bastard to pin down and annihilate, and their units punch an awful lot harder than I'd expect.

The units that got any kills were Ikit, 4 Stormvermin with halberds and 2 Eshin Triads with glaives, so that's decent armor piercing anti-large. Also globadiers, which are pretty killy in general with their armor piercing missiles. They're greyed out so I can't tell if they're the anti-infantry or anti-large version. Looks like an Eshin Sorcerer (next to Ikit with 2 kills) who didn't do much, and a Ruin Priest who I imagine got those 19 kills with Warp Lightning.

Skaven get all the fun toys. :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First, get hosed Ikit

Third, get hosed Ikit

As the poster above said, your shock cavalry got mauled by the best anti large infantry that skaven can field outside of weapons teams and artillery, likely along with copious spell damage from the lord and heroes as that lord gets an extremely cheap and low cooldown version of a good damage spell.
I assume you mostly just rammed your knights into their lines, grail kights are good shock cav but they cant hold up well against elite anti large infantry in prolonged fights. The type of bretonnian cav you want for that is grail guardians, which are basically mounted heavy elite infantry. Your stack should basically have grail guardians to hold the line and grail knights to cycle charge from behind and take care of large units.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First, get hosed Ikit

Third, get hosed Ikit

you must learn to unlock the power of "J" !

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Thing is that's a pretty mediocre stack the skaven have there comparatively, if it was stormvermin and, say, ratling gunners and warp cannons it would have been closer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you got punked because that was a super anti-cav skaven army

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well I guess it makes sense that I'd eventually run into an army that my usual ALL GRAIL non-tactics wouldn't work on
I get lazy because most things break on the charge and I can refocus any now-free knights against any holdouts
That'll teach me for assuming Skaven are basically just furry green skins!
I'll treat them with a bit more respect from now on

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ammanas posted:

you must learn to unlock the power of "J" !

J?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Pressing J while having a unit stuck in melee selected will make it break off combat, retreat and reposition in order for a second charge. It's great for rear cycle-charging cavalry and maximizing your charge bonus, you generally need an anvil unit to be holding the enemy in place though, otherwise the enemy unit will just chase you, reengage and keep killing your men.

Test it out and get a feel for it in combat, it's not for every situation but it helps.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

It is the short key for telling your dudes to back away for a bit so they can charge in again for maximum charge damage. Shock cav should not really stay and fight in most cases as they lack melee defence and attack to stick around and slug it out. They are much better att cycle charging. In short, lance cav are shock cav with great charge but mediocre stats, and should thus cycle charge because the charge bonus to stats wears off linearly over 10 seconds. Sword and board cav are better at slugging it out while having worse charge bonus.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 4, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I had no idea there was a key for that, I've always been doing it manually

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goddammit so have i

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's probably better to do it manually since the computer can sometimes have an odd idea of what direction institutes backwards when your troops are stuck in melee.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's probably better to do it manually since the computer can sometimes have an odd idea of what direction institutes backwards when your troops are stuck in melee.

You can order your troops to a location and then hit J and they will disengage to it. If you don't hit J and just use a regular move order, they sometimes re-engage before fully extracting.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Turns out ambushing a Slann + saurus + TTQ terradon half-stack as a horde of lovely beastman does not work very well:

Also lmbo at "close victory". I was force marching too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Private Speech posted:

Turns out ambushing a Slann + saurus + TTQ terradon half-stack as a horde of lovely beastman does not work very well:

Also lmbo at "close victory". I was force marching too.
Manblight Tribe bad at blightling Lizards?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that J key changes the whole game :stare:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that J key changes the whole game :stare:

It's easier but not as good at lining up cycle charges as a good ol' mouse. It sometimes causes problems.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Ikit Claw is still, by far, the most fun Total War campaign I've ever played.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Washin Tong posted:

Pressing J while having a unit stuck in melee selected will make it break off combat, retreat and reposition in order for a second charge. It's great for rear cycle-charging cavalry and maximizing your charge bonus, you generally need an anvil unit to be holding the enemy in place though, otherwise the enemy unit will just chase you, reengage and keep killing your men.

Test it out and get a feel for it in combat, it's not for every situation but it helps.

Hundreds of hours.

Hundreds.

gently caress, time to load up the game and test this again.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
CA's twitter just linked to the previous (Shadow and Blade) trailer and says that it contains a clue to their next announcement. No idea what that could mean.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shadow and blade remastered, for only 49.99!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

shadow and blade: blood, for only 49.99!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZeusJupitar posted:

CA's twitter just linked to the previous (Shadow and Blade) trailer and says that it contains a clue to their next announcement. No idea what that could mean.
More Skaven?!? YES-YES!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

at 1:40 there are whispers that say "get ready for the waaagh"

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1257324198302793728

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's "get ready for the waaaa", actually

Waluigi legendary lord DLC confirmed