Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, The Space Museum is the one where a dude hooks the Doctor up to a machine that will project his thoughts during an interrogation, meaning the Doctor can't lie or avoid showing his interrogator exactly what he wants.

The Doctor immediately starts trolling the dude with mental projections of him in old-timey bathing suits :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm TOTALLY doing Space Museum next. Someone pick a Troughton story for me after that. I'd prefer one that's still mostly extant - not in the mood for a reconstruction/audio.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

I'm TOTALLY doing Space Museum next. Someone pick a Troughton story for me after that. I'd prefer one that's still mostly extant - not in the mood for a reconstruction/audio.

Mother fucker the first two that came to mind was The Invasion and Power of the Daleks

Uh

Um

Um

Uh

The Enemy of the World

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CommonShore posted:

The first real "intact" story would be Tomb of the Cybermen, in that case, which is the start of the Second Doctor's 2nd season, amusingly enough

It's also before Enemy of the World

Then there's The Mind Robber, The Krotons, The Seeds of Death, and The War Games

Painfully short list

(The Invasion is really good though, and its only missing the first and fourth episodes, which have been reanimated decently well, all things considered)

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 3, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The Mind Robber is great fun. I'm also a big fan of The Seeds of Death. Both are complete I'm fairly certain.

Also The War Games is a masterpiece but it's also his last story so not a great idea to start with it (it's also 4 hours long, which is only a problem because you'll want it to keep going forever).

Vinylshadow posted:

Then there's The Mind Robber ....The Seeds of Death, and The War Games

:hfive:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Why does no one read the OPs I make :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Might have to rewatch them myself, because I cannot for the life of me remember anything that happened in a lot of the classic series :psyduck:

On the bright side, it's like I'm watching them for the first time every time

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edward Mass posted:

You're going to have to be more specific on your First Doctor stories.

So yes? :haw:

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

CommonShore posted:

Enemy of the World is awesome because Troughton plays the bad guy as well.

Other personal faves:

Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber
(Not Troughton era but) The Two Doctors

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Why does no one read the OPs I make :smith:

They see your avatar and immediately assume you've probably edited out the original content with something new nobody wanted!

(It's a good OP!)

Shiftypenguin posted:

(Not Troughton era but) The Two Doctors

The Two Doctors is probably my favorite story from the Colin Baker years, and it's not just because Troughton's in it (that helps). The 6/Peri/Jamie trio is fantastic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks all. I'll scroll through and pick something once I finish The Space Museum, though I think you guys suggested literally every Troughton story.

(I should add that these are all rewatches for me, I've watched every intact story and all of the reconstructions at least part way into the Troughton era).

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

CommonShore posted:

Enemy of the World if you want a standard story with Troughton showing off his acting chops. THE WAR GAMES if you’ve got time.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is this old news? I read that Doctor Moon is supposed to be a future version of The Doctor according to Moffat's brain canon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is this old news? I read that Doctor Moon is supposed to be a future version of The Doctor according to Moffat's brain canon.

That makes very little sense.

Edit: huh.

TARDIS wiki posted:

At the time of production, Moffat privately intended Dr Moon to be a future Doctor. In a 2008 email to Russell T Davies, Moffat explained that River Song was in fact the Doctor's widow, and had witnessed the death of the 45th Doctor on a battlefield before she began having adventures with his younger selves. Although Moffat considered it unlikely that this would ever be confirmed in a story, he thought River would ultimately learn that her dying husband had uploaded his consciousness to the Library's moon so that he could be reunited with her. In 2020, Moffat said that he thought a version of this idea could still work, and Davies revealed that he had always thought, "It's him, it's the Doctor, and no one knows!", when watching the episodes.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well, everything makes sense if you consider that Chibnall has umpteenth Doctors out there now. ANYONE CAN BE THE DOCTOR!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The Web of Fear, it's only missing one episode IIRC (which was reconstructed when they released it), and it's a really good "base under siege" story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

That makes very little sense.

Edit: huh.

It was in the Moffat/Davies mutual interview in whatever magazine the other day. From the excerpt I saw Moffat seemed to have forgotten completely about it (Davies was incredulous because he thought it was genius) and it was basically the same idea as the Curator from Day Of The Doctor: no matter what happens in the show, ultimately the Doctor would end up at the Library after dying (he also said in that email that this would probably not be followed up on ever by anyone)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Every time any new character shows up, we can say "They're probably the Doctor at a different point in time" and be right 60% of the time

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

Every time any new character shows up, we can say "They're probably the Doctor at a different point in time" and be right 60% of the time

“...All You Doctors...”

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Discussion of The Space Museum reminded me that at one point in that story the Doctor says "I am the master." Don't let Chibnall see it!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Well, everything makes sense if you consider that Chibnall has umpteenth Doctors out there now. ANYONE CAN BE THE DOCTOR!

Dr. Moon is the 45th Doctor AND he's pre-Hartnell!

:boom:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

It me, I'm the doctor

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

It me, I'm the doctor

It’s an honor to speak with you, Mr, Picardo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
May the Fourth be with you!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

“...All You Doctors...”

No Sir! All Infinity!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

“...All You Doctors...”

Yeah I think at this point it's safe to assume that every single character the show has had or ever will have is actually the Doctor.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see a horror-themed episode that is based on The Thing where each character could be and WILL BE the Doctor! Spooky huh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hmm did the Time Lord military leaders at the final battle of the Time War not know about the Timeless Child? Because "all twelve of them! No, all thirteen!" doesn't make much sense if they did

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Hmm did the Time Lord military leaders at the final battle of the Time War not know about the Timeless Child? Because "all twelve of them! No, all thirteen!" doesn't make much sense if they did

It really is bizarre to me that there were a subset of fans (which it appears included Chris Chibnall) who were obsessed with exploring further this one particular decades-old scene (itself half in-joke and half setup for a storyline that never happened, other than a throwaway line in Caves of Androzani) because apparently it revealed some great "truth" about the character of the Doctor... but in order to do, they have to ignore about 1000 other things that ALSO happened in the show, AND are explicitly said to be the way things are in direct contradiction of this one scene.

This is going over-the-top, but imagine if 35 years ago there was an episode of Doctor Who where suddenly we got a single shot of the TARDIS being red. Then for decades afterwards the TARDIS was constantly referred to as blue and people pointed out how blue it was and it's blueness kept getting referenced and pointed out, and also the writer of the 35-year-old scene was on record as saying,"Oh I had an idea for that but the showrunner didn't like it so we never did it." .... and then the Master shows up and goes,"Actually the TARDIS is red and always has been!" and the Doctor replies,"Well drat I guess you've convinced me" and then we don't get a new episode for 2 years.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is the TARDIS blue and black or white and gold?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It was kind of an rear end in a top hat move for the Doctor to drop her friends off on earth right before they would have to go into lockdown, now that I think about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

It was kind of an rear end in a top hat move for the Doctor to drop her friends off on earth right before they would have to go into lockdown, now that I think about it.

Don't worry, they'll just wander down the street and hang out with one of the many other Doctors that apparently now populate the Earth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Don't worry, they'll just wander down the street and hang out with one of the many other Doctors that apparently now populate the Earth.

Turns out every single Companion has been the Doctor all along.

except for the Brigadier

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

except for the Brigadier

Ironically Doris was, however.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burkion posted:

except for the Brigadier

I'm nearing the end of Pertwee in my lockdown re-watch, I'm going to miss the Brig, and all the UNIT family except Mike Yates, gently caress him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God that idea is so stupid, it still annoys me. My only hope is it’s all a bluff, and that’s not it at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You all are the mindwiped doctor at different points in their timeline.

Sorry to break it to you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

God that idea is so stupid, it still annoys me. My only hope is it’s all a bluff, and that’s not it at all.

The worst part is a lot of people have the hope that whoever takes over from Chibnall is gonna go "yeah, that idea was stupid, let's retcon/disregard it"...when it's equally just as possible that they'll go "gently caress yeah, that idea was cool, let's expand upon it".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm still putting my name out there as the next showrunner. I have a companion idea that hasn't quite been done yet, but other than that I'll hire an executive producer for the maths stuff, do more sound stage episodes to keep content coming out, and get good science fiction authors to pitch plot ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm still putting my name out there as the next showrunner. I have a companion idea that hasn't quite been done yet, but other than that I'll hire an executive producer for the maths stuff, do more sound stage episodes to keep content coming out, and get good science fiction authors to pitch plot ideas.

I'll be your script editor, and I promise to be more like Robert Holmes or Terrance Dicks, instead of Eric Saward. :v: