Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people like kale? It's vile!
I had a 'green smoothie' in Amsterdam composed of pretty much what that first person's smoothie is a few years ago and it made me violently sick.

I don't drink alcohol or do drugs, but Hunter S Thompson's sounds a deal more appetizing.

It's not bad fried in a bit of butter, salt and pepper. Just like spinach with crunchy stalks in.

Having a diet of warm water and nettle seeds seems a bit much, but if your body slaps weight on if you eat a piece of bread I get it I guess. I never really struggled with having a good willpower over food - it was everything else I'd have poor impulse control over.

Guavanaut posted:

Along with "weed was safe in the 70s because it came from plants, but now it's 150% THC, which is why it must be kept illegal."

Back then it was weed, now we're all smoking super skunk and having gay cyber sex over zoom meetings whilst working from home. Boomers are jealous.

e: East 17 were a band. One of their members, Brian Harvey, is well known for running himself over after gorging on jacket potatoes. In 2014 he turned up at 10 Downing Street with a ring-bound folder but wasn't allowed to see David Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_WRk-xV7I

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

justcola posted:

It's not bad fried in a bit of butter, salt and pepper.
I made exactly this yesterday but with some pine nuts & parmesan. Honestly I was disappointed, wished I'd just gone with spinach.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

Back then it was weed, now we're all smoking super skunk and having gay cyber sex over zoom meetings whilst working from home. Boomers are jealous.

non-weeders don't seem to get that other than with edibles it's self-titrating. If it takes you two hits to get the level you wanted to get to instead of ten, then that's better for your lungs and better all round. It's not like drinking a bottle of whiskey in one go

I will say that the tendency to breed 0% CBD strains isn't great, but that's a function of prohibition

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

non-weeders don't seem to get that other than with edibles it's self-titrating. If it takes you two hits to get the level you wanted to get to instead of ten, then that's better for your lungs and better all round. It's not like drinking a bottle of whiskey in one go

I will say that the tendency to breed 0% CBD strains isn't great, but that's a function of prohibition

Drinking these pints of vodka seems to get me more drunk than pints of bitter, maybe we should ban both?

The weed they used to have looks pretty rubbish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure they shovel that off the beach every autumn.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

escapegoat posted:

These are always great.

But no one beats Hunter S Thompson.

What the gently caress is reverse osmosis? Been a while since I did biology but isn't osmosis basically two solvents going through a membrane from a high concentration to a low, ending with some sort of equilibrium?

Is reverse osmosis 2 solvents in equilibrium separating until one is high concentration and the other is low?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if you force water through an ion* selective membrane, the water goes through but the ions don't so you end up with water moving from a higher concentration solution to a lower concentration which is the opposite of normal osmosis

e: well, not just ions I suppose, I was mostly thinking about the ones for deionising water in labs

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

Apparently it's just "putting something through a filter" which I guess is technically reverse osmosis.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Okay, so it's dumb but not completely meaningless

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

justcola posted:

Drinking these pints of vodka seems to get me more drunk than pints of bitter, maybe we should ban both?

Its rare, but I have had stuff look that bad or worse and it sent me straight to the loving moon, much the same as I have had great looking nugs that looked like they came straight from the cover of a stoner mag and they did nowt other than give me a nasty taste in the mouth, a headache and an empty wallet

Looks can be deceiving

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/daytimesnaps/status/1257242648617914368

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Barry Foster posted:

Isn't there a problem with THC levels and the effect it can have on people developing early onset psychosis?

I know from my work (and I accept it is anecdotal) there is a lot of problems with young people with no previous diagnosed history of mental illness developing it af tr er having used high THC cannabis.

I don't think that Weed is causing it, they were always likely to develop it. But it is being activated earlier and more severe from use of weed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

That is an enormous clock.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That is an enormous clock.

totally missed the 'l' in the last word, still would have been relevant to the guy in the tweet (and also me)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beyond silliness. Is it parody or real?

Oh, it's real and there actually are people who think like this. Check out this guy and his Twitter buddies who I found when following a link posted itt, they're all mental.

https://twitter.com/EuanPhilipps

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Question IRL posted:

Isn't there a problem with THC levels and the effect it can have on people developing early onset psychosis?

I know from my work (and I accept it is anecdotal) there is a lot of problems with young people with no previous diagnosed history of mental illness developing it af tr er having used high THC cannabis.

I don't think that Weed is causing it, they were always likely to develop it. But it is being activated earlier and more severe from use of weed.

there does seem to be a link in the vulnerable, yeah, but I'd guess that if modern weed does contribute more to the issue it's just that it makes it easier to get high, so then you might get high more often. Having to blow through half a gram of ditch weed isn't nearly as fun as having a couple of hits and getting on with whatever you were doing, so you'll be tempted to do it more often. But THC is THC, y'know?

I'm not one for hyper strong super skunk myself, but it's again an issue with prohibition. My ideal A Weed would be 15-20% CBD and 15-20% THC, terpenes and secondary cannabinoids to taste, which is unfortunately not the way (black) market forces are currently pushing it

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

XMNN posted:

he didn't respond to that one but someone else posted it too

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257253822881247233?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257255500053385218?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257264473200566272?s=20

also apparently David Irving actually is bad after all, but only when he does the incredibly clever and not at all transparent poo poo stirring thing where you know everyone hates you so you say positive things about someone to taint them by association

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257270042519011328?s=20

it's ok to read his books and put them on your bookshelf like you're proud of them, but if he says he likes you then you're a mega Nazi

e: apparently pointing out that Michael Gove, a literal Tory minister who loves hanging, racism and plankton, is a bit right wing is scorched earth extremism

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257260651342442496?s=20
oh look its the 'Boris Johnson isn't racist' rabbi back to tell us why some people reading dickens makes them antisemitic but only if they're labour members.

He's currently having a very normal one defending peoples rights to deny the holocaust

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257281262282211329?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool their talking point is owning books by people you don't ideologically agree with despite the fact thats all he had on his book case

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
some quality GS candidates

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1257301272010428416?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1257257961552072706

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Borrovan posted:

Does sorta look like she must have played a role in last week's stitch up (re the leak cover up investigation)

idk what game she's playing, it looks very bad for the left atm so I think she might be going turncoat

RLB always said Rayner was to the right of her, their joint run for leader and deputy was meant to be a unity compromise thing to give them broader appeal

so yeah I'm not sure how much she was ever in our corner, but it ain't looking good so far

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

escapegoat posted:

These are always great.

This is just Instagram lifestyle posting from before Instagram existed - it's their imagined ideal day at their very most pious. I don't believe for a second that any of those people's real daily schedules and diets look like that, except possibly Thompson's.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What the heck is an activated almond? Are almonds wired to explode?

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What the heck is an activated almond? Are almonds wired to explode?

It's literally just almonds that have been soaked in water, its supposed to make the nutrients in them easier to digest. I don't really know how that's supposed to be massively different to uh, what happens when you chew them though? It's always struck me as Woo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Your version of Almonds 10 has not been activated.

Go to Settings to activate Almonds.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

baka kaba posted:

RLB always said Rayner was to the right of her, their joint run for leader and deputy was meant to be a unity compromise thing to give them broader appeal

so yeah I'm not sure how much she was ever in our corner, but it ain't looking good so far

but she has a regional accent!

I hate these people so much

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/04/jennie-formby-resigns-as-labour-party-general-secretary

quote:

A meeting of the national executive committee will be expected to set a timetable to elect a new general secretary.

Potential candidates to succeed Formby are thought to include the Unite political director, Anneliese Midgley, the Unison official Emilie Oldknow and GMB’s director of external relations, Lisa Johnson.

Allies of Oldknow and Johnson say it is no coincidence that they have been linked to recent scandals after they were flagged as potential successors to Formby.

Oldknow has been accused making inappropriate comments about colleagues in the controversial antisemitism report being investigated by the NEC.

Johnson has been closely connected to Tim Roache, the recently resigned GMB general secretary who is under investigation for inappropriate conduct.

Her supporters insist she was among the senior figures pushing for his resignation in recent days.

Formby’s resignation means that most of left of the party, which until December’s general election controlled all key positions, have been removed.
of course we're being targeted by detailed allegations of wrongdoing in a well evidenced internal report as a baseless smear campaign

although now that I think of it maybe this is projection because it's exactly what these bastards would do

also love the "I knew about it but I was pushing him to resign, honest guv" bit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

the PM is Actually Boris Johnson; in the current period it might not be too strange to suppose that some advisor has similarly rifled through Gove's bookshelves to put sufficiently right-wing books on it and remove any leftie stuff

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Probably the most problematic book I own is the Gates of Janus by Ian Brady that I keep meaning to chuck but also haven't yet read so I'm on the fence about. I binned off a bunch of Updike and Hemingway just because I didn't like the way they wrote about women, so I'm unsure why I've kept that particular book. Shame I can't do secret santa any more otherwise some head of HR would be frowning at it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I don't know why - other than the fact she was RLB's flatmate - anybody ever thought she was anything more than a bog-standard Labour right figure. There's literally nothing anywhere in her background to suggest it, and I was *deeply* suspicious of the way she ran up nominations from the PLP (never even offering to donate nominations to others and blocking people on Twitter for suggesting she might supply the numbers needed to get Dawn Butler on the ballot.

I suppose not taking part in the Chicken Coup was a big plus for her, and fair play to her, but that's pretty much it.

(Note that I don't actually *mind* her as a figure on the Labour right, and if they were all like her we would have a much better party, I'm just trying to soften the blow for everyone when it turns out she doesn't storm the lectern at Conference waving the Little Red Book)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

justcola posted:

Oh poo poo, don’t go disrespecting Thai weed, that was the smoothest high you could smoke all day without being totally monged out your skull.

Or so I’m told officer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bionic vapour boy posted:

It's literally just almonds that have been soaked in water, its supposed to make the nutrients in them easier to digest. I don't really know how that's supposed to be massively different to uh, what happens when you chew them though? It's always struck me as Woo

The one paper I can see about it seems to suggest that all soaking does make you fart slightly more

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-017-1543-7

I mean it's possible it helps you absorb fractionally more nutrients, but 100% if you care about this you have an empty life

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

learnincurve posted:

Oh poo poo, don’t go disrespecting Thai weed, that was the smoothest high you could smoke all day without being totally monged out your skull.

Or so I’m told officer.

That's fine, just give up all the drugs you have on you and consider yourself warned this time. Because I am feeling extra generous, I won't even record this confiscation so that you won't have any record on our system.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1257274518286094336?s=20

didn't he ask her to resign?

also weirdly worded, it could be inferred that the cause she fought for isn't the same as the cause he fought for :thunk:

e: I mean probably not intentional, it would be a bit more awkward to phrase it like "efforts she has made in advancing the cause we have fought all our lives for" or whatever

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 4, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

big scary monsters posted:

This is just Instagram lifestyle posting from before Instagram existed - it's their imagined ideal day at their very most pious. I don't believe for a second that any of those people's real daily schedules and diets look like that, except possibly Thompson's.

I agree, they got up and had a wank then had some cocopops for breakfast and a pot noodle and a snickers for lunch and mccain potato smiles dipped in dairylea washed down with half a box of asda rosé for tea just like you and me, op

I mean I'm joking, there's a happy medium, and if Kara actually spends her life eating that way then her days must really be split between reading emails and making GBS threads her guts out

crispix fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2020

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The one paper I can see about it seems to suggest that all soaking does make you fart slightly more

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-017-1543-7

I mean it's possible it helps you absorb fractionally more nutrients, but 100% if you care about this you have an empty life

Agreed

I normally see people going on about Activated Food as part of a raw diet and I'm always thinking ... we have a way to make stuff easier to digest, it is cooking.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1257313021686190082?s=19

This is all just a plot before he does the real left wing stuff, right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

the PM is Actually Boris Johnson; in the current period it might not be too strange to suppose that some advisor has similarly rifled through Gove's bookshelves to put sufficiently right-wing books on it and remove any leftie stuff
There's definitely a touch of Cum in the idea that we're all talking about whether it's racist to have books by disgraced racists prominently on your bookshelf rather than talking about other things.

Whether that's by design or just carelessness I don't know. It almost seems too obvious to go for Irving, Rand, and the Bell Curve rather than more subtle works like slipping some Heidegger in there, but that could just be that Gove and Vine are unsubtle clods who like reading nazis.

justcola posted:

Probably the most problematic book I own is the Gates of Janus by Ian Brady that I keep meaning to chuck but also haven't yet read so I'm on the fence about. I binned off a bunch of Updike and Hemingway just because I didn't like the way they wrote about women, so I'm unsure why I've kept that particular book. Shame I can't do secret santa any more otherwise some head of HR would be frowning at it.

They will find problematic books if they want to though, the thread there mentions removing a book about the history of London because ~metropolitan elites~. I'm not sure which of my books they'd go for first, probably the one by Hugo Chavez, even though it's just about imperialism in 19th c. Latin America, he's the bad social man who stole all the toilet paper last month.

OwlFancier posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

Apparently it's just "putting something through a filter" which I guess is technically reverse osmosis.
There's an important difference, a straight filter can't normally remove stuff that's in solution.

If you have water with salt dissolved in it and flour suspended in it and you pull it through a filter paper or frit, that'll take out the flour and leave you with salt water.

Reverse osmosis uses pressure and semipermeable membranes to take out the salt too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

escapegoat posted:

These are always great.

This is some of the most pretentious loving poo poo I've ever seen

Here's my "day on a plate"

Breakfast: Sainsbury's own brand crunchy clusters cereal. It's got pecans in it which is the closest I'll be getting to seeds all loving day

Lunch: ham cheese and pickle sandwich and a glass of juice, which has one ingredient (orange) instead of 15 loving exotic fruits from every corner of the god drat planet

Dinner: a microwavable chicken tikka marsala that was 75% off and a day out of date because gently caress you

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

There's definitely a touch of Cum in the idea that we're all talking about whether it's racist to have books by disgraced racists prominently on your bookshelf rather than talking about other things.

Whether that's by design or just carelessness I don't know. It almost seems too obvious to go for Irving, Rand, and the Bell Curve rather than more subtle works like slipping some Heidegger in there, but that could just be that Gove and Vine are unsubtle clods who like reading nazis.

This was just a short while ago: https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/09/16/bookshelves-in-these-david-cameron-photos-are-a-spot-the-difference-puzzle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His bookshelf is a mess.