Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers piss me off more than usual lately. I'm out at the grocery store, and they're just casually strolling down aisles side by side, effectively blocking anyone from passing them. IT's not like they didn't see me heading their way either, just no effort to move aside whatsoever. No PPE either, just out there like it's a normal day.

Also gotta love how there's some ok markings indicating the direction you're supposed to be going down the aisle, and they're ignoring it, because boomers.

I went to Meijer yesterday because I needed a new coffee machine and my girlfriend was looking for cleaning supplies that are sold out everywhere... and half the store was Boomers not wearing loving masks and social distancing in the least. Yeah, I'm sure not wearing a mask during for the 20 minutes you're grocery shopping is worth literal death when you are in the worst demographic for contracting a deadly virus, you goddamn fucktards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In a weird case of two wrongs circling round, at my local grocery store the boomers taking this seriously are using their slavish devotion to rules and Karening the gently caress out of the ones who aren't. I've seen boomers turn their carts to block people goimg the wrong way, yelling at anyone not wearing PPE, going the wrong way, getting too close etc. On two occasions I've seen a boomer demand a manager make a store wide announcement reminding people to follow the aisle markings and social distancing

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

In a weird case of two wrongs circling round, at my local grocery store the boomers taking this seriously are using their slavish devotion to rules and Karening the gently caress out of the ones who aren't. I've seen boomers turn their carts to block people goimg the wrong way, yelling at anyone not wearing PPE, going the wrong way, getting too close etc. On two occasions I've seen a boomer demand a manager make a store wide announcement reminding people to follow the aisle markings and social distancing

I think you win the Boomer Sweepstakes:
http://stillwater.org/news/view/id/567
“In the short time beginning on May 1, 2020, that face coverings have been required for entry into stores/restaurants, store employees have been threatened with physical violence and showered with verbal abuse. In addition, there has been one threat of violence using a firearm."

And therefore, given that our police force is busy prowling for black kids brandishing Arizona Ice Teas, we are forced to capitulate entirely to this armed mob.

The law was literally you have to wear a mask to walk in the stores. People showed up without a mask, were slightly inconvenienced, and this is what you get.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

boomers turning on each other? i wish i could see this

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Krispy Wafer posted:

The fattest creatures in the animal kingdom are vegetarians (or at least eat almost exclusively grains or vegetables). I have no idea where plant-based = thinner came from.

The promotion of vegetarianism, as far as I have seen, usually coincides with a reevaluation of food in general. If you are going to change your diet you will be forced to change habits. This is perfectly self-reinforcing: Vegetarianism is associated with health-conscious eating because health-conscious people are the ones who are thinking about what they eat and how much and that's going to include a lot more veggies.

And anyone who "goes vegetarian" because of the perceived health benefits but without drastically changing habits is going to eat miserable meat-based meals with the meat left out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antigravitas posted:

The promotion of vegetarianism, as far as I have seen, usually coincides with a reevaluation of food in general. If you are going to change your diet you will be forced to change habits. This is perfectly self-reinforcing: Vegetarianism is associated with health-conscious eating because health-conscious people are the ones who are thinking about what they eat and how much and that's going to include a lot more veggies.

And anyone who "goes vegetarian" because of the perceived health benefits but without drastically changing habits is going to eat miserable meat-based meals with the meat left out.

It's diets in general. For whatever reason my parents buy into a fad diet every ~3 years. They went for South Beach last time, and I got a car load of snacks that they couldn't eat anymore. Of course 6 months later when I visited again, it was back to business as usual.

Over Christmas they expressed going the Keto route, I have a feeling that's gone by now. Knowing my parents it wasn't that they like or dislike the diet, it's that it requires some semblance of cooking other than sticking something in the microwave for 5 minutes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my mother always wanted to be a vegetarian. she didn't want to change anything about her diet or stop eating meat; she just wanted to be a vegetarian.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Rutibex posted:

boomers turning on each other? i wish i could see this

Operation Hummingboomer?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

What's with "dieting" meaning "temporarily changing my diet" to people anyway? To have any lasting effect people have to change their habits permanently, and that's incredibly hard to do. Evaluating your own habits and consciously changing them is a brutal process because honest introspection is painful and laborious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antigravitas posted:

What's with "dieting" meaning "temporarily changing my diet" to people anyway? To have any lasting effect people have to change their habits permanently, and that's incredibly hard to do. Evaluating your own habits and consciously changing them is a brutal process because honest introspection is painful and laborious.

Boomers are all about the quick fix. They grew up in a time where you had these miracle pills that would fix all your ailments, so it makes sense that they'd assume that you can go on a month long diet and then magically be fixed.

That said, anyone else think boomers are going to lose their poo poo in a month or two when there's nothing new whatsoever on TV because the Olympics were supposed to happen, and there's no more new TV left in the can?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Antigravitas posted:

Most people maintain a particular weight. You "diet" to run a calorie deficit until you're at the weight you want to be at, then go back to a more normal eating pattern. As long as you were already at a maintenance diet, you'll stay at your new weight.

This will probably be followed by several posts telling me I am wrong, as exercise, cars, and sports are subjects upon which each individual is the foremost expert in the field.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers are all about the quick fix. They grew up in a time where you had these miracle pills that would fix all your ailments, so it makes sense that they'd assume that you can go on a month long diet and then magically be fixed.

That said, anyone else think boomers are going to lose their poo poo in a month or two when there's nothing new whatsoever on TV because the Olympics were supposed to happen, and there's no more new TV left in the can?

Everyone's about a quick fix. I've seen more diet plans advertising long term behavior changes rather than quick fixes (WW, Noom, etc), but every generation still loves Dr. Oz's latest belly buster plan.

And forget the Olympics, Boomer lost poo poo levels will go to DEFCON 1 when football doesn't come back on time. They could just watch old games from the 80's and 90's when players loved America and kneeled only to God, but that's not going to sustain them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

Most people maintain a particular weight. You "diet" to run a calorie deficit until you're at the weight you want to be at, then go back to a more normal eating pattern. As long as you were already at a maintenance diet, you'll stay at your new weight.

This will probably be followed by several posts telling me I am wrong, as exercise, cars, and sports are subjects upon which each individual is the foremost expert in the field.

They might be maintaining 250 lbs. by eating 3,000 calories a day, so if they go back to their regular diet after losing weight, they'll gain right back.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

PostNouveau posted:

They might be maintaining 250 lbs. by eating 3,000 calories a day, so if they go back to their regular diet after losing weight, they'll gain right back.

Camus claims that when Sisyphus acknowledges the futility of his task and the certainty of his fate, he is freed to realize the absurdity of his situation and to reach a state of contented acceptance. With a nod to the similarly cursed Greek hero Oedipus, Camus concludes that "all is well," indeed, that "one must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Krispy Wafer posted:

And forget the Olympics, Boomer lost poo poo levels will go to DEFCON 1 when football doesn't come back on time. They could just watch old games from the 80's and 90's when players loved America and kneeled only to God, but that's not going to sustain them.

Haha, yeah. If you think Boomers are ungrateful shitheads now, it's going to be totally bonkers when white largely male Boomers are melting down left and right over college and pro football not happening in September.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Haha, yeah. If you think Boomers are ungrateful shitheads now, it's going to be totally bonkers when white largely male Boomers are melting down left and right over college and pro football not happening in September.

At least we finally addressed brooding antisocial February fever this year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was referring to TV in general. There will actually be nothing on. It'll be a return to the 90's when the summer months were reruns and movies. The only difference is that you could go out to movies, or other places to be social to fill the void of the rerun season.

:lol: yeah, it's going to own, I'm not surprised it hasn't happened with baseball since it's boring as gently caress. What is it about football that boomers love it more than life itself?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Antigravitas posted:

Getting to the point where I could look in the mirror and honestly say to myself 'That Adonislike body of a Greek demigod is going to gently caress off forever and you'll be dead before 60 if you don't stop eating like a piece of poo poo', and then watch that happen over the last five years was pretty liberating.

Now I look like some hack Roman deity but I'm not going to stop until I reach my Nurglesque final form.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad's already at that point. The past few times I've spoken to him on the phone, he's started to go into excruciating detail about 'Classic' Sabres games a local channel has been running in the void of new sports.

"The game that was on was from 1999, that was our-"
"Uh huh, Stanley Cup run." (Trying to cut it off at the pass here) "Anyway-"
"That's right! So it was game one of the conference finals, against Toronto. I didn't see this game when it aired, because I remember you had a swim meet out in Tonawanda, and..."

Jesus, I don't need a play-by-play of a hockey game from 21 years ago.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Even with exercise, most people aren't going to be anywhere near as physically active as people were a few generations ago. And that'll gently caress you up bad - our bodies are made assuming we spend most of our day moving around and sometimes lifting stuff, and without that we get brittle bones/weaker hearts/etc.

Yup, Whenever I tell people that it's diet AND exercise, and realistically, mostly exercise, folks are like 'well I'm too TIRED after work' or whatever. Which, yea sure. I've worked jobs like that. Having an employee/employer relation that leaves you with no time or energy to maintain your own health doesn't retroactively turn food into poison, and it sounds like your issue isn't so much with your weight/knees/back as it is with your job. And I'll sympathise with THAT issue all day long, talk my ear off, but just give me a break with the passive aggressive poo poo when you see me house a tupperware full of homemade fried rice in the breakroom.

At which point I usually get tuned out cause this is America and we'll paleo-Atkins ourselves to death living off bacon grease and nothing else rather than band together and push back on our bosses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh wow. Dad. That sounds really interesting. If you think that was great, let me give you a blow by blow of the Goku v Slenderman match at Grand Central first, then you can tell me about your kickball games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: yeah, it's going to own, I'm not surprised it hasn't happened with baseball since it's boring as gently caress. What is it about football that boomers love it more than life itself?

The average age of a baseball viewer is north of 57 years old. Its a sport for the greatest generation and not much else

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Baseball's a sport from before TV, when spending 4 hours watching a game 5 days a week was feasible because what the gently caress else were you doing?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I was referring to TV in general. There will actually be nothing on. It'll be a return to the 90's when the summer months were reruns and movies. The only difference is that you could go out to movies, or other places to be social to fill the void of the rerun season.

There was a lot of stuff already in the can ready to be released. Networks and streamers are delaying some of it to stretch out supply, but our content-ageddon won't really hit until after everything is back to 'normal' since lots of stuff that was going to be released in 2021 was supposed to be filmed in 2020.

This is going to be like the writers' strike when reality TV became huge since they'll rush that out right away. Maybe Marvel will release the Real Housewives of Asgard or something.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PostNouveau posted:

Baseball's a sport from before TV, when spending 4 hours watching a game 5 days a week was feasible because what the gently caress else were you doing?

It's still 5x better than cricket.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlORWhsJjNM

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They had to introduce cricket matches that didn’t take 4 days because the under 70s asked for it and it’s become a massive success.

There is cricket matches on TV, and there is attending cricket matches. county cricket actively encourages you to bring a hamper of your own beer and sit outside in the sun all day while occasionally wandering over to whatever ice cream or burger vans are knocking about, the match is an afterthought.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

PostNouveau posted:

Baseball's fine, but its existence is mostly oriented around the perfect sport for background noise at home/work or relaxing at the ballpark with your friends and family over a couple beers and a hot dog, neither of which people will particularly implode over like they will for football. Just wait for the Boomer tears. It will be amazingly hilarious.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aren't the white male Boomers supposed to die off of coronavirus by Fall?

I was promised Boomer Remover. :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Baseball kind of needs historical insight too. Like it's meh as a sport, but it's better if you know the batter on deck hits .378 with runners in scoring position. I stopped watching for about a decade and had a terrible time trying to get back into it without knowing any of the players.

I can enjoy basketball even if I know nothing about any of the teams or players. Baseball has too much downtime if you're not calculating percentages or drinking heavily.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Baseball is phenomenal if you need something on in the background while you're doing something else.
I love having a game on while I'm working on a project or something, you can not pay attention for about 3 hours and you won't have missed much.
It also helps that I had one of the best baseball announcers in history calling the games while growing up. (Harry Kalas)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

AFewBricksShy posted:

Baseball is phenomenal if you need something on in the background while you're doing something else.
I love having a game on while I'm working on a project or something, you can not pay attention for about 3 hours and you won't have missed much.
It also helps that I had one of the best baseball announcers in history calling the games while growing up. (Harry Kalas)

Try an audiobook or podcast grandpa. Otherwise you just need a whitenoise generator and be done with it, cause your brain is jello/worms.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The North Tower posted:

Camus claims that when Sisyphus acknowledges the futility of his task and the certainty of his fate, he is freed to realize the absurdity of his situation and to reach a state of contented acceptance. With a nod to the similarly cursed Greek hero Oedipus, Camus concludes that "all is well," indeed, that "one must imagine Sisyphus happy."
Camus is a lapdog for bourgeois propaganda to the underclass. gently caress that essay.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AFewBricksShy posted:

They invented this amazing thing called music you should look into it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s really easy to tell who here didn’t fall asleep on a sunny Sunday afternoon to the sounds of a sport you didn’t really cars about as a child lol.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

learnincurve posted:

It’s really easy to tell who here didn’t fall asleep on a sunny Sunday afternoon to the sounds of a sport you didn’t really cars about as a child lol.

I went out into the woods and my friends and I swung broken chunks of a ladder at each other, like normal kids

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

A golf nap is the best nap one can take.

The announcers are trying to lull you to sleep.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Baseball sucks poo poo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

They invented this amazing thing called music you should look into it

There's always a catchy jingle around the 7th inning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The North Tower posted: